The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

tumblr_mqajhdnpvR1rqgnryo1_400.gif

Cesc has been going around liking Arsenal related post on Instagram and he recently unfollowed RvP on twitter :lol: :pimp: I hope that's a sign for something good

@DeadlineDayLive Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis wants to join several of his French international team-mates at Newcastle. (Source: Newcastle Chronicle)
Napoli boss Rafael Benítez has hinted that he could make a move for Internacional forward Leandro Damião. (Source: SkySports)
@ESPNUK: 'Money has never won anything' Petr Cech warns Manchester City. http://es.pn/1dNdTpl
Albiol signed with Napoli

With Gonzo going to Napoli, it makes me think Wenger will sign Rooney or Suarez.

I would go after Ibra too if I was him. We'll probably end up signing Remy a week before the window closes :lol: |I

Last edited:
Trunks: I'm not going to take the Sagna nomination seriously.

Lahm is the only one I'll give you clearly. Versatile enough to play RB or LB. Captains with leadership.

An argument could be made for Piszczek. Links well with his Polish compatriot.

Zabaleta is a glorified utility man. He couldn't beat out Micah Richards for a place in the starting XI quite recently, yet he's now better than Kyle Walker? Laughable.

I like Lichtsteiner and Maggio as RWB, personal preference. Not over Walker though.

Dani Alves' name belonged in the conversation not too long ago, but not after this poor campaign.

@AFCM18 Team news: Mertesacker will likely be partnered by 20-year-old Spaniard Ignasi Miquel. Szczesny & Koscielny ruled out. #ArsenalTour2013
And TV5 will miss the start of the season and word is that Monreal looks like he will too with a back injury :smh:

^^damn just what they needed...injuries on the back line smh

Season hasn't even started yet and it's already an issue. In training yesterday, Bould had to step in as CB since Kos got hurt.

Any good place to get schedules/channels for upcoming matches?

I use Soccer Livescore app which is the best one I've come across. Has majoirty of games taking place the day of, what games were played the day before and upcoming games for the next day and day after. I also have the ESPN app and the ESPN FC app but I really don't use them for schedules.

Trunks: I'm not going to take the Sagna nomination seriously.

Yes Bacary Sagna of Arsenal Football Club. Take the RVP mistake and subsequent goal, which sticks out in most people minds, out of the equation and he was very very solid down his flank throughout the year. Again Arsenal let in 37 goals, second in the league, and Sagna was a large part of that.

Zabaleta is a glorified utility man. He couldn't beat out Micah Richards for a place in the starting XI quite recently, yet he's now better than Kyle Walker? Laughable.

As for Zabaleta. He's is tied with David Silva for 3rd behind behind Joe Hart and Yaya Toure for starts in the league (Hart at 38 obviously, Yaya 32 but Zabaleta started 29 games [+1 sub appearance] for City in the league) He was the most used defender so he's hardly a utility man. Plus despite the teams missing Kompany for a large stretch of the season and bedding in a player at the center of defense who was new to the league in Nastasic, City still lead the league in defense by only letting in 34 goals.

Walker by comparison started more games than any other player in the league for Spurs (36) but the team let in 47 goals. Which is more than any of the teams in the top 7. Spurs defense was pretty bad but they had a match winner who'd Bale them out and rescue points. :tongue:

I don't know. It seems like we just value different things in a fullback (I'm not getting with the times? Maybe). Not everyone is going to be as good as Lahm who is equally good at attacking and defending, but to me a fullback is a defender first so I value a player who controls his flank much higher than a player like say Dani Alves or Walker who bombs up and down the flank leaving his team open for the counter. With that said I'd love for Arsenal to get a more attack minded RB as a second option as Arsenal tend to have alot of possession so the fullbacks come into play in helping break teams down and Sagna certainly isn't the best going forward but I guess he provides a good balance for the team with Gibbs on the opposite flank as he (Gibbs) is much more attack minded (to his credit he's gotten much much better at defending and/or simply better at staying fit to showcase why Wenger rates him so highly).

Does Walker have the talent to be considered one of the best young RB in the world right now? Yes without question. Would I consider him the best RB currently, regardless of age, outside of Munich? Nah not yet.

Its tough since he plays for Spurs I cant really root for him to do well but at the same time I want him to do well to help the England NT. I don't rate Glen Johnson very high/at all so it will be interesting to see who out of Walker or Jenkinson (as he will likely chose England over Finland since Roy was courting him by letting him train with the NT) to see who he (Roy Hodgson) sees as the future England RB. Realistically I know its going to be Walker, but I hope Jenkinson is able to stake his clam/provide competition once he gets a run of games and performs again like he did early last season by having his play force himself into Roy's future plans again. Walker is more attack minded and Jenkinson is more defense minded so I guess it will depend on how he wants to shape the team and also it will also be interesting to see who he picks at RB as the players behind Ashley Cole at LB (Baines and Gibbs) are more attack minded.

As always good debate with you man. I always enjoy reading you opinions, and again I think we just value different things in a fullback which I totally respect, but I look forward to reading your counter arguments/points.

Last edited:
Everytime I see that pic of sterling in that away kit , I think of a peacock

Everytime I see that pic of sterling in that away kit , I think of a peacock

Tht jersey somehow looked even worse on a player :lol: good lord Warrior has them looking like some hand me downs from the 80s. The contrast with how :smokin the Arsenal kit is, damn

@SpursOfficial: We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with FC Twente for the transfer of Nacer Chadli. #THFC

Read this yesterday...no clue who dude is....anyone give insight?

heads to youtube to find highlights

Looks like Enrique & Tata Martinez are the 2 candidates most likely to manage Barca...

I would've really liked de Boer @ Ajax but I don't think he would ever leave his beloved Ajax...

It looks like the name coming up that will possibly managing Barca is Gerardo Martino, ex-manager for Argentine Primera Division Newell's Old Boys. I don't know much about him other than he's won titles with the Old Boys & some titles in the Paraguayan Primera Division.
eyes.gif
nerd.gif

Cules-
What do you think? I was thinking possibly thinking maybe Frank de Boer (currently managing Ajax). I like what he's done at the club. Rosell is so anti-Cruyff, he might not want any manager that's Dutch. The problem is I think he's very happy at Ajax. I thin he's said in the past he wouldn't leave the job even if Barca would contact him...
Bielsa had a lot of understudies (Pep included), and Tata is supposed to be the closest to him apparently. I wouldn't mind him at Barca at all. He is attack minded and has done some good things with Newell's. If he can translate the tactics he learned under Bielsa the way Pep did, then he will be more than good at Barca. From what i've read, Tata and Luis Enrique are the main options, with AVB being the third. 

Back
Top Bottom