The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Pepe Reina apparently being loaned to Napoli for a year. Gets to hang out with Rafa again. Liverpool can still sell him to Barca next summer.

He probably had a lot of years left on his contract and Roma could have just waited and sold him at another time after getting more miles out of him, unless of course they got an offer they couldn't refuse.

It's funny how psg has completely screwed Barca in their search to fill CB. Not selling Thiago Silva, and locking up Marquinhos.

It's funny how psg has completely screwed Barca in their search to fill CB. Not selling Thiago Silva, and locking up Marquinhos.

I read Barca used back channels with the Qatari group to aggressively go after Thiago. It almost seems like Al-Khelaifi got pissed off & acquired Marquinhos out of spite while also flexing his financial muscle. That PSG back line is really scary with the edition of Marquinhos & Lucas Digne.

:frown:

Anyone from MD on here? I think there's a few of us. NTer Mastamind89 posted the youth members that joined the Arsenal's Asian tour & Gedion Zelalem a former MD resident made the trip. He lived in Bethesda for about 6-7 years. His parents are from Ethiopia, but he holds German citizenship.

Of course pundits like to compare young players to older ones which can be outlandish but this kid's playmaking abilities have been compared to Cesc & even Zidane. Hope this kid pans out... He's currently part of Arsenal's youth academy.

Zelalem vs Indonesian Dream Team

Zelalem's debut on Arsenal's U21 against Liverpool from April '13.

I'm from MD, PSK, and the Post did a nice write up on him the other day as well. He played for Walter Johnson HS and local club teams before being discovered... although the comparisons are premature at best, the upside to this kid is immense and hopefully he'll don the stars and stripes one day (he has trained with US U15's)...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../07/12/update-on-3-former-d-c-area-standouts/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e5fcbd2-e559-11e1-8f62-58260e3940a0_blog.html

Speaking of my Gunners, its great to hear AW is making moves for Bernard. The kid has played his tail off for Atletico Mineiro in their crazy run through the Brasilerao and Libertadores this year, as well as his small contribution to the Selecao at the confed cup... Not sure where he'd fit in our MF, as both wing spots are taken, but i can see him contributing off the bench and in FA Cup/Carling cup matches...

Hopefully we can pull the trigger on Higuain, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.... We def need to sign some players soon... I hate the deadline day signing sprees that reek of desperation...

The post article & remembering Mastamind89 from about a week ago made me post those vids. I should've supplied the Wash Post story too.

I would like to see Higuain play for Arsenal but not at the price RM is asking for. That's waay too much IMO.

Zelalem certainly has talent. I hope the pressure doesn't get too him. Aside from Wenger we certainly have people in the squad that could guide, especially the fellow Germans. The mental aspect on/off the pitch can be so overlooked at times. I'm really hoping everything works out. Overall, I think we have a really good youth squad. I'm looking forward to the Capital One matches. And also the NextGen series but I think Arsenal might be switching to the Champions League Youth Cup.

It's great to see Flores mentioned in the article. I hope FIFA gives him permission and he can move to Germany. The sooner he gets there, the better.

I would love for Higuain to join us. Especially over Rooney or Suarez. I would also go after Ibra before those two. I think the Higuain could have been locked up and done a while ago. Rooney is injured and Suarez is banned and a liability.

It seems that Gervinho is on his way out. He is in the last year of his contract. Better to sell him now. So I can see Bernard coming in and taking his place.

^ Damn I was so hyped after reading that sky article about Santos being close to gone that I didnt see you already posted it. :lol:

I appreciate all the work you, and all the others who add links/news to this thread, in keeping people up to date with the silly transfer season. :nthat:

It's a relief to have him gone :lol: this is obviously why we need to avoid another panic buy :smh:
Thanks man, I'm just doing my part. Trying to keep my sanity in all this madness :lol:

These are the codes for the fantasy league on the PL website. Please join both, one is a classic and the other is head-to-head
157891-44461
157891-44526

Last edited:
That PSG back line is really scary with the edition of Marquinhos & Lucas Digne.
i think the LB position might be Digne's but it's gonna be interesting to see who partners Thiago in the centre of defence...they've got Marquinhos,Sakho,Alex and Lugano...

Don't they have that dude from Ajax on their squad too? Name is Van der Veel or something like that

Last edited:
Van der Wiel is a RB. Promising potential at Ajax and for the Dutch National Team, but has seemingly tapered off in form and production.

Kyle Walker may be the best RB in the world at the moment.

Selling Marcos was sad, great potential and he seemed to love Roma. I'd be more happy if we hadn't already spent what we got for him.

BvB gave up a penalty in the last min. Wow

Could have been Bayern - BVb final again

Thiago first big time game for Bayern

Last edited:
Headed out to the Fire/ DC United match. We're gonna tailgate on this beautiful 80 degree day here in the Chi!!

Back
Top Bottom