The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

New USL Pro team dubbed Sacramento Republic FC
Liviu Bird Jul 18, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
At a friendly between the English Premier League’s Norwich City and Mexican second division team Dorados de Sinaloa in Sacramento, Calif., the new USL Pro team in the city announced its name as Sacramento Republic FC.

On Monday, the club announced that Predrag Radosavlijevic — better known as United States national team legend “Preki” — would be the team’s first head coach. The Sacramento Republic begins play in 2014.
sacramento-republic-fc.jpg

On the name:

“A Republic represents people from all walks of life, colors, ethnicities, and creeds coming together as one. Its supreme power rests in its citizens, and as such this club is empowered through you.”

On the bear:

“A symbol of ‘strength and unyielding resistance,’ our bear is inspired by the official state animal and the centerpiece of the flag that is also known as ‘The Bear Flag.’”

And finally, on the motto:

“Those familiar with the rich history of Sacramento know that our city motto isUrbs Indomita. Translation? The Indomitable City – a name associated with Sacramento since its infancy because its citizens would not easily be subdued. They did not surrender to fire, floods or disease. They desired and were destined to thrive, literally moving rivers and raising their city to create a vibrant community. That fighting spirit is no different over 160 years later and lives on with Sacramento Republic FC.”

Noble intentions, but did the club pull it off? Let us know your thoughts.

Heard some amazing TV soccer stats on Sacramento. Something like 4th most viewers in the nation during the last USA/Mexico game and in the top 10 in total World Cup TV viewers

It looks like the name coming up that will possibly managing Barca is Gerardo Martino, ex-manager for Argentine Primera Division Newell's Old Boys. I don't know much about him other than he's won titles with the Old Boys & some titles in the Paraguayan Primera Division. :rolleyes :nerd:

Cules-
What do you think? I was thinking possibly thinking maybe Frank de Boer (currently managing Ajax). I like what he's done at the club. Rosell is so anti-Cruyff, he might not want any manager that's Dutch. The problem is I think he's very happy at Ajax. I thin he's said in the past he wouldn't leave the job even if Barca would contact him...

Last edited:
FYI...World Soccer Shop are doing 20% off this weekend. Just picked a couple of things up.

I'm hearing reports that Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup is being considered for Bacerlona

Van der Wiel is a RB. Promising potential at Ajax and for the Dutch National Team, but has seemingly tapered off in form and production.

Kyle Walker may be the best RB in the world at the moment.

Any Italian speakers? I know that he spent some of his youth in Italy, but how good is his Italian?
I took Italian classes for 2 years in high school, it sounds good but not fluent.

He speaks it better than me though :lol:

I'm so rusty in my French and Italian :smh:

Some reports are saying that Arsenal isn't interested in Bernard but his fellow compatriot Gustavo. He would cost less and the position he plays is more important to what needs to be resolved. Some fans say he's too defensive and doesn't join in enough on attacks. But most articles have pointed out that he would eager to get as much playing time as he can to make sure that he is a part of the WC squad. Which certainly isn't easy to do at Bayern
I also read that Arsenal plans to make a 35m bid for Higauin

@TransferSources Roma are set to sign Gervinho next week.

So much depth. Thiago was out there flourishing.
Green came on as a sub around 80th minute or so, maybe even a little earlier. It's great to see Pep giving him so many chances. I hope it continues.

Last edited:
Letter to everyone from Tito.

Thanks Barça, thanks everyone

After five wonderful years as a part of a team that would make any coach’s dreams come true, a moment in my professional life has arrived to dedicate all my strength and energy to the disease I have been diagnosed with one and a half years ago.

The treatments that I will receive from now on, according to the opinions of the doctors, will not allow me to dedicate myself one hundred percent to the tasks a first team coach for a club as FC Barcelona is required to do. But I will stay close and continue working for the club that I love so much in other sporting areas.

It is not easy to leave this special group of players, staff and friends with whom I have shared many memorable experiences. I will be eternally grateful to them for everything they have given and shown me. The quality this team has both as humans and on the pitch is ready for all obstacles coming their way and I am sure the next season will be exciting for everyone.

I also want to thank the president, the board and sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta for the confidence they had in me, but above all, for the support they have given me both on a professional and personal level. Equally important to me is both the medical and personal support I have received from Dr. Ramon Caral and his team of doctors who are on my side. I know that I do not play this game by myself, I am part of a supportive club that will help me succeed in this long process as it has done until now.

To all of you, members and fans of Barça, I want to thank all of you with all my heart for the support and affection you have given me. Not just now but for the last couple of months. I want to tell you that I am calm, strong and that I will face this new challenge in the recovery of my illness fully confident that everything will be okay.

Thank you to all football fans, colleagues, clubs, sportsmen, acquaintances and people I do not know personally for your messages of encouragement that have comforted me and my family.

These are difficult times so I have requested the media to have respect and understanding. Now that I have resigned as the coach of FC Barcelona I hope to have the tranquillity and privacy that I and my family need right now.

I cannot conclude this letter without wishing the new coach of the best team in the world success.

Thank you all,

Tito Vilanova

Julian green still with Bayern's first team? Cap him! :lol: but srs
I can't help but feel that the US is gonna goof and he'll "one of those that got away." :smh:
Hard to compete with Germany but...still CAP HIM!

Great letter from Tito. I wish him the best

Only one I'll give you is Lahm.

Ramos is no longer a RB.

Obviously Lahm but Piszczek and Zabaleta are comfortably better than Walker. Also despite many fans having a go at Sagna this year for a perceived "drop in form", he was still very solid and an integral part of the second best defense in the prem last season. He too is better than Walker.

I just don't see it/get it with Walker. Sure he gets up and down the flanks alot but his end product is not very good and his isn't close to a rock defensively. Massive English hype job with him imo.

Ive said this on here before but it was completely criminal that he won the Young PFA award two seasons ago over much more deserving players...namely Sergio Agureo.

Sunday Gossip...

"Manchester United have launched a £15million bid for unsettled Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye, writes the Sunday People."

"Arsenal look poised to be foiled in their attempts to sign Gonzaolo Higuain after Napoli reportedly agreed a €35million (£30m) fee with Real Madrid for Higuain"

"Arsenal have told QPR goalkeeper Julio Cesar he will have to take a pay cut in order to complete a dream switch to the Emirates…"

"Manchester United have made a new and improved bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas of around £30million, and increasing his wages to around 200k a week"

"Papiss Cisse looks Russia-bound after Newcastle refuse to budge on 'immoral' sponsorship deal" (I wonder why no other Prem League clubs are looking at him. He wouldn't cost much, I assume since he's desperate to get out, and Newcastle has clearly had enough)

"Spurs ready to make club record £18m bid for Valencia striker Soldado"

@SpursOfficial: We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with FC Twente for the transfer of Nacer Chadli. #THFC

Hopefully De Bruyne's injury isn't serious, but it didn't look good. He and Lukaku have easily been the most entertaining in Chelsea's preseason so far.

Back
Top Bottom