The Universe is really, really, really big. [PIC]

Who's to say that they can't live through gamma rays? Who's to say they have to have the same tissue as humans? There can be other life-forms thatdo not need anything we do on Earth.

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

Who's to say that they can't live through gamma rays? Who's to say they have to have the same tissue as humans? There can be other life-forms that do not need anything we do on Earth.

Exactly. You are assuming that everything has to be a carbon based organism like us. But that doesn't have to be the case. Hence making them immune tocertain things that are killer to us.

I know what Dr. Malcolm is saying

4906020_std.jpg

that's factored into the mathematics, only about 10% of solar systems are even remotely capable of creating life...as far as being immune to gamma rays...this isn't a cartoon.

Since when did we decide the factors for the entire universe on what represents life and what doesn't?

We can barely see what's out there never mind actually getting to it.

Originally Posted by kadafi99

ohwell.gif
we r nothing in tthis universe

Don't sweat it bro... I'm totally content with our 'global' issues... let alone my own personal issues.
pimp.gif

No need to worry about all this shh. Some dudes dedicate their lives to research and come out with a 0.00001% advancement
laugh.gif

Just forget it... wait till they come to us.

alien.gif

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Read this? http://science.howstuffworks.com/extraterrestrial-life-odds.htm/printable
Some basics so we can all start on some equal footing before arguing some more.

The Drake equation doesn't really account for everything and there's a lot of debate as to what the variables actually are.

My mathematical/statistical basis is simply looking at all the infinite variables it took to create life here, the chances of those or similar conditions beingreplicated are literally incomprehensible.

Originally Posted by infamousod

Read this? http://science.howstuffworks.com/extraterrestrial-life-odds.htm/printable

The Drake equation doesn't really account for everything and there's a lot of debate as to what the variables actually are.

My mathematical/statistical basis is simply looking at all the infinite variables it took to create life here, the chances of those or similar conditions being replicated are literally incomprehensible.

1) Basic philosophical question: If the Universe is infinite, what does that (what you're saying above) all mean? We have 1 in infinity (existence of lifeon Earth). Can we have 2 in infinity?
2) Another: If replication is literally incomprehensible, is our existence also literally incomprehensible? And if it is, what does it mean for us to makefurther sense of what we can't make sense of in the first place (trying to find a 2nd based on the 1st when we don't yet understand the 1st)?

I said the variables for creating life are infinite, not that the Universe is infinite. It might be, I have no idea.

And yes, our existence is pretty much incomprehensible, no one can figure out just how many things had to occur in a perfect sequence to create life and thenintelligent life.

Really, you could go in circles all day about this stuff but at the end of the day I rest my hat on the even more overwhelming odds that there is nointelligent life out there and that even if there was it would be even less likely that there will ever be any contact made.

Originally Posted by GodofWar

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Originally Posted by GodofWar

Originally Posted by kash55

KB8sandiego wrote:

Seeing stuff like this reminds me why I believe in God.
I would think it would have the opposite effect.
Nah, I think this is proof that god exists. . What if God got a Jesus for each galaxy? God waiting for the day when Satan make his move. Then when this happens he going to bring all the Jesuses together so they can fuse and become the ultimate Jesus. His power going to be so immense, and his swag will be so high he'll make Satan bow before him.
pimp.gif

4/20 is tomorrow, homie.

lol Word. And GodofWar.. you should consider writing a screenplay.. The Ultimate Greatest Story Ever Told.. Ultimate Jesus..
@ LimitedRetroOG -
laugh.gif
I never knew what 4/20 was until just now after I looked it up.
eek.gif
But its already 4/20 where I'm at.

laugh.gif
The screenplay would be so epic. Especially when Ultimate Jesus raises his swagnificent hand to the sky to gather the energy needed to drop his spirit bomb on Satan.

Lay off the DBZ there for awhile fam
laugh.gif

Honestly though, the universe is SO COMPLETELY VAST, that the odds of life CAN NOT only be 1 in a trillion

The math means squat in the matter of it.

The same variables that created life here don't have to be the same to create life elsewhere in the Universe.

It's not that hard to comprehend that life isn't bound by our standards on earth.

[h1]Scientists discover a nearly Earth-sized planet[/h1]
AP - An artist's impression of 'Planet e' , forground left, released by the European Organisation for Astronomical …

By JENNIFER QUINN, Associated Press Writer Jennifer Quinn, Associated Press Writer - Tue Apr 21, 6:17 pm ET

HATFIELD, England - In the search for Earth-like planets, astronomers zeroed in Tuesday on two places that look awfully familiar to home. One is close to the right size. The other is in the right place. European researchers said they not only found the smallest exoplanet ever, called Gliese 581 e, but realized that a neighboring planet discovered earlier, Gliese 581 d, was in the prime habitable zone for potential life.

"The Holy Grail of current exoplanet research is the detection of a rocky, Earth-like planet in the 'habitable zone,'" said Michel Mayor, an astrophysicist at Geneva University in Switzerland.

An American expert called the discovery of the tiny planet "extraordinary."

Gliese 581 e is only 1.9 times the size of Earth - while previous planets found outside our solar system are closer to the size of massive Jupiter, which NASA says could swallow more than 1,000 Earths.

Gliese 581 e sits close to the nearest star, making it too hot to support life. Still, Mayor said its discovery in a solar system 20 1/2 light years away from Earth is a "good example that we are progressing in the detection of Earth-like planets."

Scientists also discovered that the orbit of planet Gliese 581 d, which was found in 2007, was located within the "habitable zone" - a region around a sun-like star that would allow water to be liquid on the planet's surface, Mayor said.

He spoke at a news conference Tuesday at the University of Hertfordshire during the European Week of Astronomy and Space Science.

Gliese 581 d is probably too large to be made only of rocky material, fellow astronomer and team member Stephane Udry said, adding it was possible the planet had a "large and deep" ocean.

"It is the first serious 'water-world' candidate," Udry said.

Mayor's main planet-hunting competitor, Geoff Marcy of the University of California, Berkeley, praised the find of Gliese 581 e as "the most exciting discovery" so far of exoplanets - planets outside our solar system.

"This discovery is absolutely extraordinary," Marcy told The Associated Press by e-mail, calling the discoveries a significant step in the search for Earth-like planets.

While Gliese 581 e is too hot for life "it shows that nature makes such small planets, probably in large numbers," Marcy commented. "Surely the galaxy contains tens of billions of planets like the small, Earth-mass one announced here."

Nearly 350 planets have been found outside our solar system, but so far nearly every one of them was found to be extremely unlikely to harbor life.

Most were too close or too far from their sun, making them too hot or too cold for life. Others were too big and likely to be uninhabitable gas giants like Jupiter. Those that are too small are highly difficult to detect in the first place.

Both Gliese 581 d and Gliese 581 e are located in constellation Libra and orbit around Gliese 581.

Like other planets circling that star - scientists have discovered four so far - Gliese 581 e was found using the European Southern Observatory's telescope in La Silla, Chile.

The telescope has a special instrument which splits light to find wobbles in different wavelengths. Those wobbles can reveal the existence of other worlds.

"It is great work and shows the potential of this detection method," said Lisa Kaltenegger, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

My mathematical/statistical basis is simply looking at all the infinite variables it took to create life here, the chances of those or similar conditions being replicated are literally incomprehensible.

1) Basic philosophical question: If the Universe is infinite, what does that (what you're saying above) all mean? We have 1 in infinity (existence of life on Earth). Can we have 2 in infinity?
2) Another: If replication is literally incomprehensible, is our existence also literally incomprehensible? And if it is, what does it mean for us to make further sense of what we can't make sense of in the first place (trying to find a 2nd based on the 1st when we don't yet understand the 1st)?
well even though the universe is billions of years old. earth can be the only living inhabitant planet in the universe. have you thought about usbeing the first planet with life? maybe a few millions years from now another planet formed somewhere else with life like ours. remember theres a beginning toeverything. we can possibly the first planet but not the last.

Edit: typos

I think infinity works all of these questions out. If our existence is the product of random events, then infinity-by definition, would have me think that ifthere aren't other forms out there like us, there will be infinite times in the future. That is what infinity does. It is like the infinite monkey theorem.Given an infinite amount of time, a monkey will type the complete works of Shakespeare an infinite amount of times.

Originally Posted by drsfinest72

well even though the universe is billions of years old. earth can be the only living inhabitant planet in the universe. have you thought about us being the first planet with life? maybe a few millions years from now another planet formed somewhere else with life like ours. remember theres a beginning to everything. we can possibly the first planet but not the last.

Sure. The Universe might be some billions years old, but that's along the time dimension. What about space, isn't that infinite'*%%?Then what about space-time?
Anyways, I don't think we're arguing the same thing here.

infamousod, how do your equations change with news of findings of Earth-sized planets like in the article that dirty just posted? Anyways, all of this justseems like a fun mental exercise since our understanding of any of this is just way too preliminary (my opinion).

how do we know about the milky way if it takes billions of years to travel out of the galaxy to see it?

Originally Posted by drsfinest72

well even though the universe is billions of years old. earth can be the only living inhabitant planet in the universe. have you thought about us
being the first planet with life? maybe a few millions years from now another planet formed somewhere else with life like ours. remember theres a beginning to
everything. we can possibly the first planet but not the last.

Sure. The Universe might be some billions years old, but that's along the time dimension. What about space, isn't that infinite'++*? Then what about space-time?
Anyways, I don't think we're arguing the same thing here.

infamousod, how do your equations change with news of findings of Earth-sized planets like in the article that dirty just posted? Anyways, all of this just seems like a fun mental exercise since our understanding of any of this is just way too preliminary (my opinion).

Well that planet defied a few dozen or a few thousand variables. Only a few more mil/bil/trillion to go to create life.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Ok I did some consulting and got some science to further support my mathematically-based theory of why it is extremely unlikely (nay impossible) that there is life somewhere else in the universe. Not only are there trillions (or more) of factors that need to be in perfect order but you can start eliminating most of the solar systems off the top. Any system within a galactic core is being bombarded by gamma radiation and therefore sterilizes anything within its reach. This accounts for about 80% of the stars.

FYI this solar system is on one of the outer bands of the Milky Way.
milky_way.jpg

Add to that you can eliminate any system with binary, pulsar, and neutron stars too, among a few others. All of a sudden the pool for potentially life-sustaining stars is lowered dramatically. There still are countless other systems that may have the right conditions, but there are so many variables involved, that it's far from probable that there is intelligent life out there, and unfathomable that whatever is out there has made it to Earth and has been flying around.
but who is to say that the way life evolved on earth is the ONLY way that life could exist?.

..such hubris on the part of man.
My thoughts exactly.

There is no way that life only exists here, and here only.
Well, I wouldn't say there's no way. Anyways, what Dirty is alluding to is that maybe it's possible that aliens wouldn't be carbon-based (or needing to inhabit a planet with the same properties as Earth) and as such, all our mathematical guesses would be invalid.
Well our mathematical equations are all for finding the probability that there is life out there that evolved in the same way or in similar waysto ours. So, the math is correct but we are defining what the probability tells wrongly

Think about it. The universe can't go on forever. It has to stop sometime. And something had to create everything.

This is making my head hurt.

thanks. i found this in the article
These discoveries have served as an affirmation for those involved with the search for extraterrestrial intelligent life, or SETI. Harvard physicist and SETI leader Paul Horowitz boldly stated in a 1996 interview with TIME Magazine, "Intelligent life in the universe? Guaranteed. Intelligent life in our galaxy? So overwhelmingly likely that I'd give you almost any odds you'd like."
I'm hoping they are billions of light years away so they can never actually reach earth.

Originally Posted by eddie

I'm hoping they are billions of light years away so they can never actually reach earth.
Why would you hope such a thing? Life on Earth is pretty mundane for most
laugh.gif
. Just think, we either have potential friends out there or worstcase scenario, a dominant society that will enslave us.

Beyond the internal mental debate and the war of words and logic going on in here, this stuff is pretty trippy. And as intriguing as it is, there reallyisn't light at the end of the tunnel as far as answers are concerned.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

[h1]Scientists discover a nearly Earth-sized planet[/h1]
AP - An artist's impression of 'Planet e' , forground left, released by the European Organisation for Astronomical …

By JENNIFER QUINN, Associated Press Writer Jennifer Quinn, Associated Press Writer - Tue Apr 21, 6:17 pm ET

Gliese 581 e sits close to the nearest star, making it too hot to support life. Still, Mayor said its discovery in a solar system 20 1/2 light years away from Earth is a "good example that we are progressing in the detection of Earth-like planets."

Scientists also discovered that the orbit of planet Gliese 581 d, which was found in 2007, was located within the "habitable zone" - a region around a sun-like star that would allow water to be liquid on the planet's surface, Mayor said.

2012?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom