The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
i been sleeping on this dude's music, he got some smooth joints. that Wicked Games joint is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by Regis

LOL at dudes being mad cause people singing along.

Yall dudes is too uptight. Not going to the concert might be the best decision you make.
I think you're missing the point, or people are misstating the point. People sing along at every show. But if you don't turn the singer's mic up loud enough and he gets drowned out by the sing alongs, then what's the point of seeing a live show? Either they're doing it on purpose to hide vocal flaws or dude needs to fire his sound people. 
when i saw him at coachella i swore dude was whispering into the damn mic. They need to increase the volume x 10

Anxiously awaiting reviews from DC show goers. Really hoping the Coachella fiasco was an outlier and not the norm for his live shows.

On my way home from the DC show and I thought it was good. Could have been better but it wasn't bad. The crowd was live and there was a great mix of females from black, white, Africans, college, professional, trash and a gang of Ethopians lol. The females were the price of admission.

What I think would have made the show better:
If on certain songs (mostly wicked games) if he would have told the crowd "let me handle this and just vibe out to MY vocals"
If he would have sung all of DD.
As stated before his voice is soft.
Had a live DJ spin some songs while everyone packed into the place. The doors opened at 7 but the show didn't start until 930.
The show was only an hour, he should of done at least an hour and a half.

Some positives
Patrick's solo
The vibe of the crowd. The crowd sung every word but it made the show more interesting and intimate (if you sang too).
The females
His voice when you could really hear him.

All in all I would say I enjoyer the show and I can't wait to go another show later on to see his progress.
If you decide to go to his show you might as well sing along and have fun.

^I feel you. It definitely went better than expected than when I watched the video on the last page before I left my house for the show. The crowd was definitely a huge mix of people almost like Watch The Throne at Verizon Center. I had a blast though. He sounded great the times you could hear him... the live band was on point, too. Def worth $40. On the slower songs, the crowd died down a bit and you could hear him sing.. but on the really popular songs like The Morning, The Knowing, Loft Music, Wicked Games... it's hard not to sing along. I despised people who sang along, but I couldn't help myself with Wicked Games, Loft Music, and The Morning. Def a good time.
I really dug Trust Issues though... that was a huge surprise.

Just got back from the DC show. Had a great time. I was really nervous because of how annoying the crowd singing along seems to be in the video. But once you're there it almost added to the vibe of the night. And like previously stated he really needs his mic turned up; the combination of the crowd and the volume of the drums drowned him out for like 25-30% of the show.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

as someone who was there, The Weeknd was average at Coachella, and was still MIIIIILES ahead of Frank Ocean. Frank Ocean played one of the most disappointing sets i've EVER seen. there's no excuses for that $*##.

Open and shut case Johnson.
As someone else who was there (weekend 2), it would take a deaf person to say Weeknd > Frank Ocean in terms of performance. Frank Ocean was pretty much flawless from start to finish and had the whole crowd mesmerized. Weeknd lost the crowd within the first 10 minutes of his set. You couldn't hear his voice. It was the worst set I saw all weekend. And check my post history if you care, I'm a huge fan of dude and went to Coachella mostly to see him perform in person. And I left his set halfway because it was unwatchable. 

People can argue and throw shots, but I was up front for both shows and Frank Ocean was 10/10 and Weeknd was 2/10 at best.
pretty sure they were discussing webcasts, and i'm pretty sure Weekend 2 wasn't webcast. soooooo.

"deaf person"??? you @*$%!@+ kidding me? that Frank Ocean W1 performance was a god damn JOKE.  NOBODY i talked to thought FO was better, and i STILL haven't seen anyone on message boards or twitter say Frank Ocean was better. He got a new band for Week 2, so obviously things were different. but there's NO way anyone can convince me Frank Ocean was better than The Weeknd W1.

must be a lot of deaf people...

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Him doing a song live that has a sample means nothing. Is it illegal? Slightly but the act sampled would have to hate Weeknd to.sue. otherwise.every band doing covers would get sued

But he's making money off of it from the concerts...
Sampling it on HOB (a FREE mixtape) vs sampling it during a concert are 2 different things.

like Tre said, you know how many bands NIGHT IN NIGHT OUT play covers? the lawsuits would never stop

At the same time I'm sure those bands are part of ASCAP or BMI and either one of them handle the legal issues dealing with the covers.

If I'm not mistaken cover songs are treated differently than samples.

For example when you use a sample you are creating something completely original that contains someone else's work. A cover can be seen as no different than you singing along with a song on the radio.

They only had a problem with frank playing that song because he basically ripped the whole rhythm and just changed the words.
nothing to do with the actual "sample"

Do all of your tickets for tomorrow resemble the one in the photograph below?

I purchased 2 off craiglist and the guy was a little shady.  My tixs say "General Adm" instead of Gen Admission.  My tix also say "No Cameras or Recorders" in the middle below "The Weeknd"
5Ic5Fb5J43E23Gb3M1c4rdf4df2fa11441d04.jpg

jesus. i put a post on craigslist saying i'd sell them for face value to anyone who writes me an essay on why they deserve them and i come home to 40+ emails 
laugh.gif

apparently its everyones bday that time of year and everyone made love to his music. i did get an email saying they'd send me some kush 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RedMan

On my way home from the DC show and I thought it was good. Could have been better but it wasn't bad. The crowd was live and there was a great mix of females from black, white, Africans, college, professional, trash and a gang of Ethopians lol. The females were the price of admission.

If on certain songs (mostly wicked games) if he would have told the crowd "let me handle this and just vibe out to MY vocals"
Had a live DJ spin some songs while everyone packed into the place. The doors opened at 7 but the show didn't start until 930.

Some positives
Patrick's solo
The vibe of the crowd. The crowd sung every word but it made the show more interesting and intimate (if you sang too).
The females

All in all I would say I enjoyer the show and I can't wait to go another show later on to see his progress.

I went to the Boston show tonight and I completely agree with almost everything you said. If you want to hear him hit every note and word flawlessly, you might as well listen to your ipod. If you want to sing along with a bunch of Weeknd fans and see the guy in person, I definitely recommend the show. 
I had a %$#@#@#$ blast in Boston today. The set was basically (or exactly) the same as the Coachella set, which was great in my mind. Lots of House of Balloons. D.D. Outside. Started off with High for This, ended with Wicked Games - as he always should. I had so much fun. 

I'm going to the show in Philly by myself tomorrow. If anyone would like to meet up for a beer or whatever before the show, please let me know.

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Some positives
Patrick's solo
The females

I went to the Boston show tonight and I completely agree with almost everything you said. If you want to hear him hit every note and word flawlessly, you might as well listen to your ipod. If you want to sing along with a bunch of Weeknd fans and see the guy in person, I definitely recommend the show. 
I had a %$#@#@#$ blast in Boston today. The set was basically (or exactly) the same as the Coachella set, which was great in my mind. Lots of House of Balloons. D.D. Outside. Started off with High for This, ended with Wicked Games - as he always should. I had so much fun. 

Was it the same deal where doors open at 7 but he doesn't take the stage till 9:30?  I'm really not looking forward to standing around for 2:30 hours.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Some positives
Patrick's solo
The females

Was it the same deal where doors open at 7 but he doesn't take the stage till 9:30?  I'm really not looking forward to standing around for 2:30 hours.
We had to wait a bit in there but not that long. It wasn't that bad because I was in the balcony with my friends, so we were lounging VIP style. It might be different for other shows though - the Boston Royale is a night club that strictly makes their concert end at like 10 so they can open up the club. It started at like 7:30ish and it was done by 9 roughly. 

Back
Top Bottom