The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
Holy transition.....what you need...into professional.

I thought the album art you had for the original Trilogy releases were some of the best I'd seen all last year. Why for your new album did you go with a more...standard cover with you picture? Did you feel you had to get your image out there?

TheWeekndXOXO 47 points 2 days ago

I'm a fan of irony

Make's me like him even more. Dude was trolling with the cover and knew it but didn't care. :lol:

Last edited:
I am a huge R&B fan... 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, new jack, neo soul, jazz, etc...

I cannot get down with The Weekend

sound like 3T if jellybean johnson got ahold of their masters
laugh.gif

someone suggested the weekend to me because they said it was like foreign exchange....ummm...no
It's not our fault you have dumb friends, bro

Had a ridiculous time at The Greek Theatre on Friday. It seriously took me all of Saturday and Sunday to wrap my mind around what I experienced Friday night.

The best show I've ever seen, and one of the most memorable nights of my life. I don't see a ton of live music, but I go to a show or two a year and most summers I'll go to Rock the Bells. The Weeknd's show was unlike anything I've ever experienced. The only shows I've seen that come close in comparison were Kanye's Glow in the Dark tour in 08 and Lupe Fiasco at the Filmore in 07.  

It was just a perfect storm. He did just about everything from Kissland and HOB, nothing from EOS and Thursday. I can't even be mad that he didn't do anything from those two because I wouldn't even be able to pick a set he did to replace. Place was rocking the entire time.  Being completely in tune with every single set and reciting all your favorite lines in that setting was unreal.

I really can't say enough about the stage production and visuals he had going on, words wont don it justice so I wont even try. Not only was the band, the stage production, and Abel's performance A1 but the venue itself, 
mean.gif

I'm born and raised in Oakland but the city of Berkeley including the University are a HUGE part of who I am. I pretty much grew up playing soccer at Maxwell Field right next to the Greek Theatre. In high school I remember playing there late into the night in the summers and when there would be concerts going on, hearing the performances and seeing the lights from shows reflect up in the sky used to create the perfect backdrop while I played the sport I loved. Amazingly Friday was my first time actually being inside the Greek Theatre. Absolutely surreal personal experience.

You take all those feelings and lace them with a little MDMA (thanks bro) and you have my Friday night. 
laugh.gif

After Friday night, I'm at the point where if this guy is performing in my state, I'm going period. If I didn't have a life I would have made the 5 hour push to Santa Barbara the next day no questions asked. 
roll.gif

I don't even want to talk about the show itself too much as not to ruin it for others but all of us who get to go the tour this fall, are truly blessed. Hope you all have as good a time as I did.  
pimp.gif

No problem. Music Delivers the Most with Andy
laugh.gif

I'm jealous, but I ended up going to RTB yesterday spontaneously with my best friend and had a blast. Not even mad.

Last edited:
going tonight. beyond hyped :pimp:

for those that went already, are the opening acts worth seeing?

based on the schedule ticketmaster sent me, the weeknd doesn't come on until 9.

Last edited:

banks opened up and she was mehh. a lot of people were just chilen and talking while she performed so its probably not worth it unless you want to see her.

Any body feel like kiss land is running raps around nothing was the same?

IMO, I feel like the weeknd is the artist drake wants to be.

Any body feel like kiss land is running raps around nothing was the same?

IMO, I feel like the weeknd is the artist drake wants to be.

Why even compare the two albums? Weeknd is a singer who raps occasionally and Drake is the opposite.

Doubt Drake wants to be anybody but himself, Weeknd doesn't even have close to the power Drake does, you need to go ahead with that **** :lol:

Last edited:
Why even compare the two albums? Weeknd is a singer who raps occasionally and Drake is the opposite.

Doubt Drake wants to be anybody but himself, Weeknd doesn't even have close to the power Drake does, you need to go ahead with that **** :lol:

It's not as far fetched as you try and make it seem. Despite the fact drake raps, he sings. And has said on occasion he prefers it to rapping cause it's a truer representation of who he is. So comparing them as an R&B artist the weeknd has the better voice, in my opinion better melodies/flow/cadence, and more relatable. When the subject matter is about women and things going astray I feel the weeknd's portrayal is more realistic and doesn't have that simp undertone that a lot drakes R&B tracks have.

You say he only wants to be himself, but take care had the weeknd's signature all over it
He seemed a lot more into ovoxo then Abel did. I don't care what anyone says, no new friends was dropped cause feelings were hurt things didn't go a certain way.

With that said I think drake is a hell of a rapper. Better then most when he wants to do it. I think NWTS is a good album at that too. But am I really alone in seeing the huge artistic gap between the two?

With that said I think drake is a hell of a rapper. Better then most when he wants to do it. I think NWTS is a good album at that too. But am I really alone in seeing the huge artistic gap between the two?

Probably. There's no reason to compare them really, even though they can technically be compared to some degree. Both released phenomenal projects within a month of one another, I just want to enjoy both man. I don't even look for the same things in each of them, so both are artistically superior in different regards.

Drake and Abel are the epitome of two artists who coexist perfectly to me.

Last edited:
Probably. There's no reason to compare them really, even though they can technically be compared to some degree. Both released phenomenal projects within a month of one another, I just want to enjoy both man. I don't even look for the same things in each of them, so both are artistically superior in different regards.

Drake and Abel are the epitome of two artists who coexist perfectly to me.

They've got great chemistry. We need a Weeknd x drake collab

All the twisted MFs around me were diggin' both her and Anna Lunoe. Didn't make it in time for Anna 'cause of dat UC Berkeley parking, but I personally liked Banks. I did go in with some familiarity before the concert, doe.

Listen: https://soundcloud.com/banksbanksbanks

WAITING GAME knocks. :pimp: It's her closing.

LA show tonight was great, didn't disappoint at all...signed everyone's copy of kiss land, just as promised (won't sign trilogy or anything else; no pics allowed either)

FYI to anyone going to his tuesday show, one of the opening acts didn't show (i didn't get there in time to hear any of them) so he started his set at 8:30...make sure you get there early just in case

show was soooo dope.

i was expecting him to go on at 9:00, but he ended up going on at 8:30.

caught a few of banks' stuff, def. gonna check her stuff out. i liked what i heard.

only regret was not going :smokin friend messed up and forgot to pick up :smh: still enjoyable, though. picked up a tour shirt as well.

For people that have been to the shows.. Can you smoke in there?? :nerd:. what about bringing in drank

Back
Top Bottom