The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
Album dope as hell. Way better than BBTM which was mediocre. I like the new vibe from him. Artist gotta grow. It's hard to stay the same from 21 being deep into dark habits to being 26 and a millionaire superstar. Can't stop playing Sidewalks. The simp songs are cool too. But I'm 28 years old into this shawty now trying to let the past be the past. so maybe I identify with the new sound. I can see how some people are upset at it tho.

Starboy review

1. Starboy - Great song and opener. Bruh has reached the top and lets us know on this song with the opening verse and the end of the hook with the look what you done line. The video along with the rip abel he posted on ig tells us that Starboy is the mark of a new era for the boy. Enough has been said about this one. Pretty much loved it since first listen and That beat just hooked me as soon as it came on. 

2. Party Monster - Another standout for me. Lana vocals always appreciated.

3. False Alarm - A song that's grown on me a lot. Has a dance punk vibe to it. And I love punk music so the hook doesn't bother me much anymore. Abel warning bros that a golddigger is a false alarm. Don't **** with em NT.

4. Reminder - Great, smooth track this one is. That whole first verse is one long quotable. Seems like this is his response to folks believe he not about that XO life anymore. People give him **** for switching it up but if you see the videos he's always destroying his old self and moving on to some one new and reinventing himself, only for his old self to come back. "Every time we try to forget who I am, I'll be there to remind you again." 

5. Rockin - Mall music in the background to Zara or some ****. Trash. I'd give it a Losers / 10 if I had to rank it.

6. Secrets - I don't hate it but I don't like it much. Just meh at the moment. Could be a grower, not really sure tho.

7. True Colors - Nice song

8. Stargirl Interlude - These two make a great pair. Nuff said bout that one

9. Sidewalks - Another standout track. Beat is smooth af and Kendrick kills it. I would have liked to see another Abel.

10. 6 feet under - Low Life Jr right here 
laugh.gif
 Wouldn't be surprised if it was recorded in the same session... Great song though. Liked the leaked version better like others have said 

11. Love to lay - Like when the tempo change and when the hook comes in. This may grow on me more as well, but so far it's just an ok song for me.

12. A lonely night - Not a bad song, but not one I will play very often. Just meh.

13. Attention - Another great one. A simple beat, but love his vocals when the hook comes in and just a song to vibe to and feel what he's saying.

14. Ordinary - Down to my second favorite track. This track just hits me every time. One thing Abel can do that not many others can is make you feel what he's feeling through his music. Everytime I listen, I feel like I feel what he's going through. But yeah, great song this one is. Kinda reminds me to the hook on KL when he's saying this aint nothing to relate to.

15. Nothing Without You - Don't really care for it

16. All I know - Really Like this track. Future came through with it like he normally does. 

17. Die for you - Great song to me. Nothing but raw emotion. Clearly about Bella and their ended relationship. Was finished a week before the record came out

18. I feel it coming - Final track, and a great one. Very catchy and laid back. Different from how he closed all of his other projects, but I like it.

Overall, I really like the album. If he would've cut 3, maybe four tracks off of this, it'll be damn near perfect for me. I hate when albums suffer from too many tracks, but it's a testament to his greatness that he can deliver after giving us an 18 track album. Something that isn't all that common in today's music climate. If this is an indication of where he's going, I'm all in for it. Can't wait to see how he reinvents himself when the next album comes along.

I can't give a good analysis after 3 straight listens.

Bruva music so generic now and I don't like it. So many songs just sound like he's singing words, instead of capturing a moment of life.

Might just be too many songs :lol:. You know something's wrong when that sentiment is floating around.

I know people relate music to their life and where they were at the moment.

I think 2011 just has some sort of hold on some of you guys. And Abel came in at the right part of your life. If you like HOB over this I can see that argument

But this is definitely his best ALBUM.....he took all his styles and did a perfect job of meshing them into a complete album, only thing I'd take off is love to lay.

The song writing, vocals and song structure are just better than any of his past stuff.

Definitely his best complete album.

Other albums might have better songs but they aren't great bodies of work.

This album is a best of. Really gave you all his weapons from HOB up to BBTM

Dudes try to give kissland a pass but he was trying to make these songs on there and COULDNT.

Don't know how you can listen to kissland and honestly put it over this

Also don't understand all the lyrics comments. Don't know in what world you considered Abel some crazy pen gawd [emoji]128514[/emoji], If anything his song writing is better these days.

Last edited:
Kissland is the best work because it's uncompromising

It's fluid, strong writing, great production, thematic

If you can't see its quality you're tripping

Abel knows it too, but he also knows it won't move units and give him superstardom.

It's more of a cult classic.

Last edited:
False Alarm and Rockin go easily in his top 5 WOAT songs ever. holy ****.. who the hell was he making Rockin for.. sounds like some one direction ********

I'm honestly appalled at how y'all saying 6 feet is a good song :lol:

How y'all giving them a pass for making the same song twice? EXACT same tempo and everything, that's lazy man. A lot of songs on here sound very lazy. That's my only gripe with them album. The song with Kendrick, why the hell is he using auto tune when his voice is damn near 1 of a kind? :smh:

The album is better than BBTM IMO, but the golden days are over. Don't know what happen but seriously most of these songs he got the same exact flow, what happen to that one of those nights, remember you, etc type diversity.

I never paid much attention to the other song so maybe that's why I enjoy it

Another thing only reason I think Abel wants to do a KL 2 is because he feels he has the tools to take those ideas he had then to the next level. If he really believed in that thing no way you hear I wanna do a part two to that album

Last edited:
Lmfao at the 2 saying this is his BEST album and "Starboy" being the only good song on the album.

Midas whale sow your ears shut

Six feet under is the same song as low life but i don't even care lol. By the way the album version of six feet under is rubbish compared to the leaked version

Just have to accept he's a changed artist, I have and I'm hoping to enjoy the music as a new artist in a way..

Hopefully he puts out good features still where he reverts back from time to time

@tay1  to add to this part 
18. I feel it coming - Final track, and a great one. Very catchy and laid back. Different from how he closed all of his other projects, but I like it.
He said in the interview that the true last track is Die for You and I feel it coming is the credits. Listening to the songs with that in mind gives an even more powerful feeling to die for you (love that song) and i feel it coming feels like a perfect wrap up for the album knowing its the credits.

I don't really rank a album until a couple weeks after RD. But really liking the album. A couple songs really stand out.

He should've did another verse on Sidewalks, no auto tune and man Kendrick on that beat doesn't fit well to me. Abel told Zane he told Kendrick "hey don't murder me on this" :rofl:

Need another SONG from him and Lana

Puma need to get their $&@! And have him and Rihanna on something next.

Back
Top Bottom