There's One Thing I Don't Understand.....vol. From OG's to Youngin's: Come 1, Come All

Originally Posted by zongetsu23

the peole who say they are retiring after these are the same people

who copped the varsity reds last week and will be there copping

the white and reds 6's
copper foams
coolgrey 11's
concord 11's
and every other hot release coming out

so when i and you hear that just dont buy into it

as for the age thing it really doesnt matter how old a person is were what you want

i am 37 yrs. old now and was 14 yrs. old in 1985 when the first pair of jordans dropped

i am lucky enough to have had almost every pair of hot og's and retro's there has ever been

and i mean almost every pair , almost every hot colorway in every numbered jordan (atleast the ones i liked)

so for someone to say when a person gets to a certain age and changes what they were because of it is a joke

its a personal choose not a age thing

i am 37yrs old and will were jordans til the day i die and when i die i will be buried in a pair of jordans

they will pass out jordans from my collection at my funeral , thats how deep i am in

so dont believe the age thing..................................................peace

Great post.  That should sum it up right there.

Originally Posted by zongetsu23

the peole who say they are retiring after these are the same people

who copped the varsity reds last week and will be there copping

the white and reds 6's
copper foams
coolgrey 11's
concord 11's
and every other hot release coming out

so when i and you hear that just dont buy into it

as for the age thing it really doesnt matter how old a person is , were what you want

i am 37 yrs. old now and was 14 yrs. old in 1985 when the first pair of jordans dropped

i am lucky enough to have had almost every pair of hot og's and retro's there has ever been

and i mean almost every pair , almost every hot colorway in every numbered jordan og and retro  (atleast the ones i liked)

so for someone to say when a person gets to a certain age and changes what they were because of it is a joke

its a personal choose not a age thing

i am 37yrs old and will were jordans til the day i die and when i die i will be buried in a pair of jordans

they will pass out jordans from my collection at my funeral , thats how deep i am in

so dont believe the age thing..................................................peace

No offense to you homie, but I hope one of MJ or at least one of his relatives attends your funeral for all that nonsense! 
laugh.gif

Agreed age has nothing to do with your shoe choices.

I am wit Airuphere...I am 36 myself.  So yeah I was around and able to see MJ play, plus I have relatives in Chicago, I was born there.  I am not a sports guy at all. Never cared about sports.  But I love the shoes and I do not consider myself a "real" collector or "sneakerhead."  I am basically recapturing my youth.  Picking up kicks I could never back in jr high and hs.  No way moms was gonna get me 100 kicks and even when I was slaving away part time, did I have money to buy these.  So I am buying shoes I like.

As for why us old dudes "dont buy Js" or retires?  It is simple, you have less opportunities to wear them as you get older.

When you are YOUNG...which you the OP and most of you guys are...you can ROCK HEAT 24/7.  When you get a job esp in corporate world, you simply cannot rock Js...you have to wear dress or casual shoes, no sneakers.  So when you are forced to wear dress/casual shoes you start looking into that world.  I admit I own a couple pairs of PRADA dress/sneaks, I have some hugo boss and the ever popular kenneth coles.  I am lucky where I used to work I could be casual so I would rock sneakers 60% of the time.

When you are working and cannot wear Js..and your only opportunity to wear your HEAT are weekends...and even those times are limited you just slip out of the game.  Simple...no mystery.  Nothing to do with love or passion...I think it is lifestyle change.  You can love MJ and JORDANS, but there comes a time when you can no longer camp out or spend $200 on sneakers you will never wear.  But ultimately to each his own.

lastly regarding sneakgeek...I think when he first came out..only 2 years ago...he admitted in his videos he was NOT a sneakerhead but just getting into the game. He admitted he was not educated on the history etc.  But over the years...I have to agree he has  become more of a hypebeast.  Not really having any focus on his "collection." He just gets whatever is new or hot.  I used to enjoy his videos...but all of a sudden he became this over night "expert" and I have to keep it real.  He does NOT REVIEW sh*t.  He just pulls it out of the box and ooh and ahhs over the shoe...end of video.  There is ZERO review or critique of the shoes...but that is my own opinion as a fellow old guy.

im 36 almost 37 i have and probably will always wesr jordans dont care what people think

I dont think people stop liking J's they just get older, mature, and get better jobs. Let me be honest, when I was young I worked at the market and wasnt able to afford LV, and Gucci. Now that I have a career I can afford just about anything I want. I still like J's, but now I have the option of buying J's or high end designer clothing.

I see dudes in their 50's and 60's wearing sneakers casually all the time, you don't see them getting ridiculed over it.

screw gucci and prada. wear what you love and feel comfortable. age aint got nothin to do with it. i'll be 50 and still rock my shoes that i bought yesterday today and tomorrow. Nike and Jordans for life baby.

I agree with those of you that believe age doesn't mean a thing when wearing Air Jordans. These shoes were created when most of us who are in our mid 20's were very young. I strongly believe that if you love to wear them, do so. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks. Besides, why would the Brand make men's sizes if the shoes are supposedly for young kids? I doubt there are many kids with size 13+ feet. NBA players wear the shoes too. That doesn't matter to me though, I wear what I like. And I like these shoes. Just making a point with the size thing.

Originally Posted by AsianImage

I am wit Airuphere...I am 36 myself.  So yeah I was around and able to see MJ play, plus I have relatives in Chicago, I was born there.  I am not a sports guy at all. Never cared about sports.  But I love the shoes and I do not consider myself a "real" collector or "sneakerhead."  I am basically recapturing my youth.  Picking up kicks I could never back in jr high and hs.  No way moms was gonna get me 100 kicks and even when I was slaving away part time, did I have money to buy these.  So I am buying shoes I like.

As for why us old dudes "dont buy Js" or retires?  It is simple, you have less opportunities to wear them as you get older.

When you are YOUNG...which you the OP and most of you guys are...you can ROCK HEAT 24/7.  When you get a job esp in corporate world, you simply cannot rock Js...you have to wear dress or casual shoes, no sneakers.  So when you are forced to wear dress/casual shoes you start looking into that world.  I admit I own a couple pairs of PRADA dress/sneaks, I have some hugo boss and the ever popular kenneth coles.  I am lucky where I used to work I could be casual so I would rock sneakers 60% of the time.

When you are working and cannot wear Js..and your only opportunity to wear your HEAT are weekends...and even those times are limited you just slip out of the game.  Simple...no mystery.  Nothing to do with love or passion...I think it is lifestyle change.  You can love MJ and JORDANS, but there comes a time when you can no longer camp out or spend $200 on sneakers you will never wear.  But ultimately to each his own.
This pretty much sums it up.  Those of us that grew up in the original MJ/AJ era have a very different perspective and attachment to it, and just as with most things, no amount of talking to people, reading up on the history, educating yourself about it, etc. can EVER make up for the experience of living through it.  No matter how into it you get, they will always just be words on a page if you didn't actually experience it.  This is where the descrepency comes in between how old school AJ fanatics, and the newbies jumping on the latest trend view everything JB does today.

Just as AsianImage wrote, many of us are reliving our childhood memories, or fulfilling childhood dreams that were not possible at that time for whatever reason (i.e. family couldn't afford to buy $125 "gym shoes").  We have different expectations than what someone with no memory of the originals would have (which would be NO expectations, since they don't have a reference point).  This is in stark contrast to younger/modern day collectors, the vast majority of whom are only collecting because it's another popular trend, thus why I can see them "retiring" from, or getting sick of collecting sneakers.  At some point, the current trend gets old/outdated, and you have to move on to the next/newest thing.  Each age group has its set of sheppard's rules to follow, and like the braindead sheep the mass public herds are, they blindly follow them.

When there is no passion in what you do, it will always "get old" after a while.

Originally Posted by AsianImage

Agreed age has nothing to do with your shoe choices.

lastly regarding sneakgeek...I think when he first came out..only 2 years ago...he admitted in his videos he was NOT a sneakerhead but just getting into the game. He admitted he was not educated on the history etc.  But over the years...I have to agree he has  become more of a hypebeast.  Not really having any focus on his "collection." He just gets whatever is new or hot.  I used to enjoy his videos...but all of a sudden he became this over night "expert" and I have to keep it real.  He does NOT REVIEW sh*t.  He just pulls it out of the box and ooh and ahhs over the shoe...end of video.  There is ZERO review or critique of the shoes...but that is my own opinion as a fellow old guy.
Word, i respect your love for sneakers, i myself have plenty of cousins now that are in their mid 30s, jobs, families and have less and less time to wear or enjoy their sneakers.
Its great to have plenty of our older members chime in too, this part of the forum needs to really learn from members and sneakerheads like you guys that will move on.

And i completely agree with everything you said about Sneekgeeks, i think a majority of the new sneakerheads are something like him, un-educated, just waiting to cop the newest hottest release.  I know alot of people like him, they have the correct funds, nice collection of shoes but when someone talks to them about the shoe they have on, they have no idea and just say they copped because its a hot shoe.

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

^I dont hate him, i dont even know who he is.  I admire his collection, but i don't respect it.

I dont consider him a real sneakerhead/collector because he has money.
Im not saying you can't be a sneakerhead if your rich, but this dude just popped outta the woodworks the last few years buying every rare and "exclusive" shoe his money can get.
He didn't know much about the History, Michael, Basketball, and he really never had a strong connection with sneakers, besides his money buying it for him.

So theres my definition of a Real Collector, compared to a general/normal collector.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by Antalonboubmpo

^I dont hate him, i dont even know who he is.  I admire his collection, but i don't respect it.

Im not saying you can't be a sneakerhead if your rich, but this dude just popped outta the woodworks the last few years buying every rare and "exclusive" shoe his money can get.
He didn't know much about the History, Michael, Basketball, and he really never had a strong connection with sneakers, besides his money buying it for him.

So theres my definition of a Real Collector, compared to a general/normal collector.
I SWEAR TO GOD YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUTTA MA MOUTH
That's not fair to not consider him a sneakerhead just because he got on the game late and because he can afford it. Everybody acquires their shoes differently. Just because you have more knowledge and have been on the "grind" longer than the next man does not make you any better than them. If you think that way, it's okay, i'm not mad at you for it. I just think it's a flawed way to categorize shoe-heads. Everybody has their different reasons and motives for the shoes we buy and the money we spend on them. At the end of the day, it's ALL about the shoes, not what they mean to you personally, but to who buys them.

Regardless of age, you can rock the Jumpman and be fine. Seriously don't let anyone bug you about it. There's a situation for everything, and if Prada's are right for you at that moment, wear them by all means. I use to knock the next man but now I don't care. It's whatever. If you wanna spend your money and have your style (even if it is generic and standard by the trends) then do you. Imma do me.

Can't we alll just get alongggggg?

I will be wearing Jordans and rodney dangerfield pants when Im 60 just for the entertainment of junior high kids. To be that old guy.

The bottomline is, unless money is no object, if you choose a career or job in a professional office setting you will probably have to dress appropriately and that means no sneakers and you might find yourself budgeting for adult stuff like retirement accounts, fancy dinners out, bills etc and not be able to justify buying kicks you never get the opportunity to wear b/c your a working stiff (thats the position I am in its called growing up) but even you should know that at your tender age. There is no reason to stop buying if you like collecting thats what it is its a hobby but at some point it costs money and people have to live in budgets. I mean collectors of all kinds of stuff have their wives up they butts b/c they spend to much disposable income on hobbies and there's really nothing wrong with that, its your life.

I also wanted to say someone who just pops in with a collection and every hot shoe b/c they have the money doesnt have my respect either half the battle is budgeting begging your parents not being able to get every pair and cherishing the kicks for real reasons like the memories you have in them or the whatever...the struggle is the bond we have here on the board if your theres no struggle then you cant appreciate fully what you have...thats what hypebeasts do they dont have any taste they will cop anything and everything, IMHOalso wanted to add b/c i see some more posts appeared i guess as I was writing mine that some of those really hit the nail on the head I espeically like asianimage and anomoly's breakdown of the game

I'm also one that grew up watching MJ amongst a wealth of other great basketball players as well for that matter. Players such as Tim Hardaway while playing with Golden State or watching Grant Hill with the Pistons. The shoes that they wore were iconic and symbols of what every 13 14 and 15 year old youth envisioned themselves to be on a basketball court. MJ however, took it to that next level and I'm incredibly proud to say I watched roughly his entire career. I mean I was 5 when he came into the league and I've been watching and playing Basketball since I was probably 8 or 9 so I've seen him achieve marks and accomplishments that are still dear to my heart as a Basketball fan..not just an MJ fan...but a fan of THE GAME. I'm 30 now, professionally accomplished, and I still wear shoes that continue to resonate those same emotions (not just J's) and I never have and will care what anyone else thinks. My parents never bought a single pair of hot shoes for me when I was young. The closest that I ever got to wearing shoes that were notable were L.A. Gears....lol.. and I loved them. So having said that I'm not a collector and never will be ... but more so an admirer of the athletes that have paved the way for what I regard as the Greatest Sport to participate in and watch with joy as well.

Young or old, stay true to yourself without giving in to any hype.... Just my thoughts and I respect everyones perspective in this thread! .. Peace

I'm still going to rock J's even when I start my professional career. Hi-end designer shoes for work and J's and Nikes for my leisure time.

Well I'm 31 and have been a fan of MJ and his shoes since about 89. My first pair were OG 3's. I know they came out in 88 but I didn't get them until 89. I've been wearing his kicks faithfully since then. The biggest difference I've noticed is that my tastes have changed the older I get. I used to buy almost every colorway that I could, now I'm only buying og cw's. My collection of just jordans is roughly 100-110 pairs. I used to wear all of them as soon as I got home from buying them. I can't do it anymore. I put on certain pairs (i.e. Carmines) and feel like a clown in them. I still have yet to put my carmines on and walk out the door with them on. What I have picked up in the past couple of months haven't even seen the light of day yet. This includes Both Pair og 12 cw and my space jams. I've bought some other nikes and a pair of guccis and those have been worn.

I have to wear business attire for work everyday but Friday and when those Fridays come I of course still wear my jordans. The difference is that I have my choice of whatever I want to wear and I always only wear 1's 3's or 4's when i do wear jordans. Everything else is just too ridiculous looking to me anymore.

My 2 cents on the topic.

Originally Posted by JordanFan04

Okay, so I've been a member of NT and a collector and connoisseur for even longer. I'm 21, but I remember sitting in front of the television with my dad and uncles to watch MJ play as a child, then going outside to try to emulate damn near every move he made. I was outside late for hours trying to get the 'last shot' perfected
laugh.gif
. I also remember how I begged and pleaded for my folks to buy me his kicks, and feeling like the man walking down the hall at school with a fresh pair on. What has always bothered me are those that feel that at a certain age/point in their life that they have to 'grow up' and start buying Gucci/Prada/etc. and leave Jordans behind. I just can't understand it at all. I mean I know that when I graduate and start working professionaly that I won't wear Jordan's to work, but why does my age have to correlate to the shoes I choose to wear? I wasn't copping LV's back in the gap, so why start now? Maybe it's just me but I just don't get it.
This is your choice to make. What you own and what you like isn't an indicator of maturity, it's an indicator of individuality. Look at people like Kanye West or Paris Hilton. They're fashion trendsetters but a lot of people wouldn't say that they've got the best wiring upstairs. 

Originally Posted by JordanFan04

What has always bothered me are those that feel that at a certain age/point in their life that they have to 'grow up' and start buying Gucci/Prada/etc. and leave Jordans behind. I just can't understand it at all.
were as low produced and high priced they would be just like some gucci's & pradas.

I'm 32 and I could care less what anyone thinks I'll be rocking J's for life.

Sounds like me, but the reason I buy more mature looking shoes is because JB pissed me off with cheap material and horrible colorways.

I still love the best of the best kicks imo like III's, IV's, VIII's, XII's, and XIII's. I cop Jordans onlyyy if they are classic coloways.

Its like JB really has to knock me off my feet in order for me to open my wallet.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by Antalonboubmpo

I SWEAR TO GOD YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUTTA MA MOUTH
That's not fair to not consider him a sneakerhead just because he got on the game late and because he can afford it. Everybody acquires their shoes differently. Just because you have more knowledge and have been on the "grind" longer than the next man does not make you any better than them. If you think that way, it's okay, i'm not mad at you for it. I just think it's a flawed way to categorize shoe-heads. Everybody has their different reasons and motives for the shoes we buy and the money we spend on them. At the end of the day, it's ALL about the shoes, not what they mean to you personally, but to who buys them.

Regardless of age, you can rock the Jumpman and be fine. Seriously don't let anyone bug you about it. There's a situation for everything, and if Prada's are right for you at that moment, wear them by all means. I use to knock the next man but now I don't care. It's whatever. If you wanna spend your money and have your style (even if it is generic and standard by the trends) then do you. Imma do me.

Can't we alll just get alongggggg?
I can respect your opinion, and understand that the connections we make with the sneakers are by our own choice.
It doesnt matter if he got on late, or was there since it started, im just saying he's not a pure collector.
Don't you think there are Pure Collectors compared to the Average Collector, No?
Just by talking to someone about sneakers, you can normally tell the guys that have the passion compared to the guys that are just doing it because its cool or that they got the money.
Im not saying all collectors need to know every little bit of detail about Jordan or cant be wealthy.

But what i really meant was, i cannot take him seriously compared to someone that does have that connection and meaning to collecting.

I consider him a collector, but not a pure collector...money doesnt come into this conclusion besides that it buys him everything, without the money he would not have a reason to collect in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom