This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
anytime I read a anti-MLS article, they always speak to how the teams are struggling to even be run profitably.

So again, I don't think you can compare the pockets of MLS to the major redneck sports of America.

the salary cap is literally training wheels for MLS, can't say its the same for the NFL when they're raking in billions every year.

The salary cap is so indoctrinated in your mind that these greedy sports owners have convinced you that the sport wouldn't survive without it.

It would survive, it'd just put a bigger strain on their pockets.

100% agree. That's why I don't get mad when I see these NBA players getting their money or in sport for that matter either.

anytime I read a anti-MLS article, they always speak to how the teams are struggling to even be run profitably.

So again, I don't think you can compare the pockets of MLS to the major redneck sports of America.

the salary cap is literally training wheels for MLS, can't say its the same for the NFL when they're raking in billions every year.

Yeah but the NFL generates way more revenue and has much higher salary caps.

The money that was turned down could go into teams for salary caps, for advertising, for sponsorships etc. lining the pockets of the clubs. An amount should be dumped into each individual team and League laws should be enforced to force clubs to actually use that money in the club.

An allotment for salary caps
An amount for team grounds
Advertising
Etc

$4b is a **** ton of money. And while it's not enough to jump MLS to the top 4 leagues in the world, it would make he league appealing to young players of Oscars caliber that chose to play in China over the US, despite the US having a much larger Latin and South American influence.

I think my biggest concern is no salary cap will turn the MLS into a leverage league.

Players like Oscar forcing the MLS into playing a game of idiot chicken and bidding 50m for him or some **** :lol:

Certainly, I am curious about what the reasoning was behind the MLS not being confident in being able to successfully get a pro/rel system in place with that huge injection of $ tho.

TBH, I could see the MLS eventually taking in USL and essentially just having two conferences and having a self contained pro/rel.

And to be off topic, the NFL is absolutely screwing the players with the structure of their contracts and salary cap. I'm all in on Team Richard Sherman. Dudes need guaranteed contracts in eggball.

DFhswxFWAAAc8EW.jpg

DFhvJ27XUAEDeTv.jpg

DFhvK9zWAAAMsfE.jpg

DFhvLd2XkAE0ENU.jpg

Payet who?

Hammers might be decent again
well damb neymar
just damn near spent more than Kendrick did on a car for his sister :lol:::

Misread this initially but Neymars sister could have it all...

I really think they believe that a playoff structure is universally compatible with every sport. It's a bunch of old guys who own franchises in other major sports who see how nub cash "post season" generates.

they think "their" way is the right way.

All I care about though is money being put into the league. That'll allow for teams to stop charging so much for youth leagues, which will make the sport morepopular for kids on a competitive level.

Teams can have money to throw at players, major markets can land marquee names, smaller markets will have enough money to compete, and we can finally get rid of "halftime by Heineken"

Didn't know MLS was that low on the ranking. Even our league is surprisingly #16 on that list.

I'll explain in a second but it's pretty complicated and not at all transparent.

The salary cap needs to go ASAP, at least in my opinion. It's fine when your league is the NBA, the best and richest league in the world (and therefore is able to attract the most talent), but I don't see how the MLS can ever compete with leagues that pay their top talent much more.

It doesn't even have to be a "big 5" league. If I'm an up and coming talent, what incentive do I have to join an MLS team compared to one in the other top 21 paid leagues in the world? I'd much rather join an inferior league while earning more and living overseas, instead of playing for some middle of nowhere team like "Real" Salt Lake. Hell, I'd take a pay cut to play in the J/K League instead of being stuck in a non major metro area MLS team.

lvgtcrasc6yrdxiuqtxx.jpg

I can understand how this viewpoint is formed and full disclosure, I've always been vocal about significantly raising the cap, but it ignores many of the dynamics at play with regards to MLS wage structure.

MLS pays above market value for the league's top talent, using mechanisms like the DP rule to circumvent the salary cup, then uses that same cap to artificially lower the wages and pay of fringe players. It uses the salary cap to keep the cost of lower tier players extremely low, while being able to still offer very competitive wages to top players.

The circumstances you decscribe aren't applicable to MLS players who have their wages cut by MLS salary cap because they wouldn't meet the myriad of foreign player restrictions and different mechanisms used abroad to limit and dissuade clubs from importing foreign talent.

The American kid fresh out of college on MLS minimum salary doesn't have a slew of options abroad, the options he does have like Scandinavia or Eastern Europe are inferior.

Meanwhile the talented kid from South America who isn't quite good enough to warrant a Dutch club spending the Eredivisie 400K foreign player minimum (when average Dutch salary is 200K) gets offered 350K from MLS... that looks very attractive when you're getting paid 100K and your checks aren't even guaranteed to clear week-to-week.

MLS has always overpaid for top talent. It's fantastic that we've seen a dramatic shift in the profile of the type of talent in recent years, trending younger and more exciting. Regardless the players who come here have always been very vocal and about what a sweat deal it is for them.

You can use tools on http://transfermarkt.com to get a better sense of what MLS pays it's top 20 or so players in the league relative to comparable leagues like the Jupiler Pro League.

At the end of the day United States is able to offer facilities, lifestyle, cultural amenities and security that are simply impossible to match by most leagues in the world. It's huge asset which we need to help combat stigma, lack of traditional competitive league structure, distance away from foreign players home.

The salary cap is so indoctrinated in your mind that these greedy sports owners have convinced you that the sport wouldn't survive without it.

It would survive, it'd just put a bigger strain on their pockets.

This is the real issue, and imo it is a moral one. The cap allows owners to artificially lower the labor cost of the league's least inexperienced and most vulnerable players. It ensures them cheap labor at below market prices which saves them money.

Supporting evidence is right there in the chart, MLS is top 10 in the world in club income and not even top 20 in the world in wages.

Miguel Almiron is fine, it's Nazeem Bartman and of course the fans, who are hurt by the salary cap.

We don't deserve JDS tbh
Front office is just incompetent in general
We traded away AJ DeLaGarza and got a washed JJ
Our academy players that we promoted have been mediocre to trash
LAFC coming next season too...disaster of a season

Didn't know that arnautovic went to the hammers too. Shakiri needs to get out of stoke now too :nthat: (emoticons back)

I really think they believe that a playoff structure is universally compatible with every sport. It's a bunch of old guys who own franchises in other major sports who see how nub cash "post season" generates.

they think "their" way is the right way.

The irony is you're projecting that same thinking onto MLS and many other parts of the world.

The European way is not the "right way," the game does not belong to Europeans. To think that playoffs are incompatible with football is a very Eurocentric way of thinking.

In some ways Mexico is the greatest league in the Western Hemisphere, and it crowns its champion via traditional knockout league playoff.

Colombia crowns its champion via traditional knockout league playoff, every country in Central America does as well.

Half of South American crowns its final champion for the year via a playoff between the two seasons Clasura and Apertura champions.

European way is not the "right way," they don't need to dictate competition format for anyone else. As Americans, we really need to learn that.

The irony is you're projecting that same thinking onto MLS and many other parts of the world.

The European way is not the "right way," the game does not belong to Europeans. To think that playoffs are incompatible with football is a very Eurocentric way of thinking.

In some ways Mexico is the greatest league in the Western Hemisphere, and it crowns its champion via traditional knockout league playoff.

Colombia crowns its champion via traditional knockout league playoff, every country in Central America does as well.

Half of South American crowns its final champion for the year via a playoff between the two seasons Clasura and Apertura champions.

European way is not the "right way," they don't need to dictate competition format for anyone else. As Americans, we really need to learn that.

It may not be the "right" way. But it is the most successful way.

It's the way that works and Europe is regarded as the standard for world football.

I wouldn't expect Europe to have relegation basketball. Because that's not what has proven to be the most successful way of running a basketball league. Playoffs don't work as well for football as they do for NFL/NBA and other major American sports.

It may work very well for South American leagues, but I didn't see any South American leagues at the top of that list either. And all of South America's top talent goes to Europe. To relegation style football.

The culture of football isn't major in the US. The league has to make moves that will adjust the tone for this country. This is a big money, super star driven, instant results driven sports culture we have. Dumping money in and adjusting to what works could be the thing that starts the leap in MLS from where we currently are to making another shift like we did from the 90's to now.

He NBA didn't get better by waiting around. They got better by merging with the ABA.

The MLS needs a Dr J. It needs to embrace the formula that works.

Or, we won't see changes until we're damn near 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom