This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not 100% against playoff MLS.

I'm against whatever is holding MLS back from growth.

If the playoffs could work, and the MLS made other changes that addressed the more important issues to me (money injected into clubs for growth in talent, signings, stadiums, etc) then I'm all for it. I'm not "MLS NEEDS TO BE EPL", I'm "I want my home league to grow and get better in the places I think aren't great"

I'm cool with the playoffs if someone was injecting $4b into the league for playoff MLS.

It just all depends. I was never a "MLS needs to change overnight" guy. But if there's a $4b overnight come up, Why the hell would I not see the benefits :lol:

It may not be the "right" way. But it is the most successful way.

It's the way that works and Europe is regarded as the standard for world football.

I wouldn't expect Europe to have relegation basketball. Because that's not what has proven to be the most successful way of running a basketball league. Playoffs don't work as well for football as they do for NFL/NBA and other major American sports.

It may work very well for South American leagues, but I didn't see any South American leagues at the top of that list either. And all of South America's top talent goes to Europe. To relegation style football.

The culture of football isn't major in the US. The league has to make moves that will adjust the tone for this country. This is a big money, super star driven, instant results driven sports culture we have. Dumping money in and adjusting to what works could be the thing that starts the leap in MLS from where we currently are to making another shift like we did from the 90's to now.

He NBA didn't get better by waiting around. They got better by merging with the ABA.

The MLS needs a Dr J. It needs to embrace the formula that works.

Or, we won't see changes until we're damn near 60

Dude you're coming off kinda of ignorant implying that what takes place in South and Central America doesn't work.

It's also ignorant to think that European football is successful because of single table format.

European football is successful because of centuries of socioeconomic factors, i.e. stability and money. It literally has nothing to do with competition format.

The comparison to European basketball doesn't make any sense, I'm not familiar it but I think they do utilize pro/rel, and I know for a fact their competition rules and structure aren't mirrored off the NBA, again that doesn't support your point.

I don't know what "relegation style football" means, again that doesn't make sense either.

You should really look into the history of football/soccer in America country and MLS league history, what you're saying really ignores a lot of it.

Again my only point was that to say playoffs are incompatible with football is kind of an ignorant and certainly a Eurocentric take - I pointed to other parts of the world, MLS doesn't have anything to do with it.

My full reasoning isn't just "regulation football"

My full reasoning is 4 billion ******* dollars

You're arguing against a bullet point in my reasoning.

I clearly said if someone threw 4billion at playoff football, that's cool too.

The money involved is what's most important because it can be fuel for growth in all aspects of the league.

I couldn't give 2 less ****s what format he league keeps. I watch playoff sports every season. Obviously I'm not at home upset over playoff structure. But when someone comes to the league with a **** ton of money, and all that's involved is a change in structure, I think it's worth considering.

Especially when there's other places in the world that have shown it to be successful

Youre acting oblivious to the benefits of $4b and what t can do for he league.

This ain't Mexico. MLS doesn't have the same cultural background as Mexico and South America. That money can be used to spark culture. And the league is young enough to make a drastic change at this current moment.

Last edited:
My full reasoning isn't just "regulation football"

My full reasoning is 4 billion ****ing dollars

You're arguing against a bullet point in my reasoning.

I clearly said if someone threw 4billion at playoff football, that's cool too.

The money involved is what's most important because it can be fuel for growth in all aspects of the league.

I couldn't give 2 less ****s what format he league keeps. I watch playoff sports every season. Obviously I'm not at home upset over playoff structure. But when someone comes to the league with a **** ton of money, and all that's involved is a change in structure, I think it's worth considering.

Especially when there's other places in the world that have shown it to be successful

No, I responded to every single point you presented, you've chosen to defend one bullet point in your reasoning in your own defense.

You're conflating arguments, I very clearly pointed out at least twice that I am addressing your viewpoint that playoffs are incompatible with football.

There's insurmountable evidence that that is simply not true.

No. You quote half of my post. And you disregarded the post that followed.

You didn't even read the original convo me and Rck had talking about the money and relegation/playoffs. I been touched on the benefits of the money and what it could do for the culture of football in the states

Last edited:
Wanting to be like European football reminds me alot of trying to preserve European heritage in America by the Alt-right

Which is exactly why I tend be so vocal when I perceive a problem with it. Subconscious 99 times out 100, but there are cultural undertones.

No. You quote half of my post.

And you disregarded the 2nd post.

No dude. I quoted the specific viewpoint and assertion that I disagreed with and I laid out why it was a misguided one.

Yes, you presented other viewpoints that stand alone on their own, they were irrelevant to the specific viewpoint I disagree with.

To lay it out one last time, to say that playoffs are incompatible with football is 1) incorrect 2) a viewpoint that I believe to come from a place of Eurocentrism.

Thats gotta be most money for a player nobody heard about until a month ago

James probably #2

You're talking about Keita right?

He was probably the most talked about figure in German football after Julian Nagelsmann last season.

This is a really good profile on him, Keita is the goods. A better buy at any price than James imo.

I could see an eerily similar progression of influence compared to what we saw with Kante at Leicester -> Chelsea, with Keita at RB Leipzig -> whichever big club.

I don't wear kits in public, but for some reason, the Arsenal third kit has been on my mind for the past few days. I really don't want to spend $90 on one especially since I'll probably only wear it to the gym, but still...

Which is exactly why I tend be so vocal when I perceive a problem with it. Subconscious 99 times out 100, but there are cultural undertones.

No dude. I quoted the specific viewpoint and assertion that I disagreed with and I laid out why it was a misguided one.

Yes, you presented other viewpoints that stand alone on their own, they were irrelevant to the specific viewpoint I disagree with.

To lay it out one last time, to say that playoffs are incompatible with football is 1) incorrect 2) a viewpoint that I believe to come from a place of Eurocentrism.

Did someone offer $4b for playoff football?

I don't think they did.

All you're doing is arguing the other side of the same coin. You say I'm being Eurocentric, but you're clearly more a fan of the South American structure. If not, you're just more willing to argue a smaller point than what was really more important.

Playoffs work in those leagues, you made your point. Ok. But that's not even close to what's important to me as an MLS fan. Cause it ain't working too well over here in comparison.

But my main point still is what it is, and what we're discussing is isn't as important to me as what I feel is the bigger picture - major funding that can help elevate the quality of the league and help grow the culture of professional football in America.

The fact that playoffs work in those leagues isn't as important to me as the benefits that changing to regulation brings to MLS. If relegation style means money is injected into clubs, and clubs that are promoted receive financial boosts for growth, then things will start to pick up.

There's a reason why it's working in the top leagues. And it's not just because "it's in Europe" it's because someone is willing to fund it.

Like I've said more than once. Idgaf if they play relegation or playoffs. But relegation came with a financial offer. Playoffs don't. If someone said "hey here's a boatloads of money to play in the playoffs" that's cool too.

Did someone offer $4b for playoff football?

I don't think they did.

All you're doing is arguing the other side of the same coin. You say I'm being Eurocentric, but you're clearly more a fan of the South American structure. If not, you're just more willing to argue a smaller point than what was really more important.

Playoffs work in those leagues, you made your point. Ok. But that's not even close to what's important to me as an MLS fan. Cause it ain't working too well over here in comparison.

But my main point still is what it is, and what we're discussing is isn't as important to me as what I feel is the bigger picture - major funding that can help elevate the quality of the league and help grow the culture of professional football in America.

The fact that playoffs work in those leagues isn't as important to me as the benefits that changing to regulation brings to MLS. If relegation style means money is injected into clubs, and clubs that are promoted receive financial boosts for growth, then things will start to pick up.

There's a reason why it's working in the top leagues. And it's not just because "it's in Europe" it's because someone is willing to fund it.

Like I've said more than once. Idgaf if they play relegation or playoffs. But relegation came with a financial offer. Playoffs don't. If someone said "hey here's a boatloads of money to play in the playoffs" that's cool too.

Dude you're so concerned with being right that you're not even listening. You keep conflating different issues and topics to the point where it just comes off nonsensical.

I didn't engage you one what's important to you as a fan of MLS, not because I don't care but because you didn't say anything I took issue with on that entirely different topic.

I said my piece on whether or not a playoff format is compatible with football. It is compatible.

And you're wrong about my preferences, I prefer single-season, single-table format to crown domestic league champion. However I do respect other formats and cultures surrounding the game, especially those in Mexico and South America and I don't believe that there is a "right way," as you put it.

Don't really use IG but decided to get this one back :smokin
a4bd329f4c4c1ea4910a3adf2a02276a.png

Looking forward to the new season

Bruh. I’m over it.

Playoffs suck. And ain’t nobody paying $4b for it

Your point was made a page ago. But what’s it doing for the MLS tho...

We either going to be a knockoff Liga MX or a knockoff EPL. And the latter pays more.

I’m not concerned with how well it’s doing in Mexico. Because it’s not benefitting this league as; you know what. **** it. Let’s just move on.

Bruh. I’m over it.

Playoffs suck. And ain’t nobody paying $4b for it

Your point was made a page ago. But what’s it doing for the MLS tho...

We either going to be a knockoff Liga MX or a knockoff EPL. And the latter pays more.

I’m not concerned with how well it’s doing in Mexico. Because it’s not benefitting this league as; you know what. **** it. Let’s just move on.

Again man, you're conflating a wide range of topics and issues, but yes let's just move on. :lol:

I never believed the Ronaldo rumors for a second :lol:

The Neymar saga is more interesting and ridiculous. I thought for sure he would leave, but like you, now I have no idea

The elite South American leagues (Argentina and Brazil) don't have no damn playoffs.

would rather have dybala then coutinho.
and honestly after all this...if giving up neymar means getting verratti and dybala i think it would be the best move.

can't be going through this foolishness again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom