Tim Tebow switched to starter for Denver (1st playoff win) Do you believe?

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Please note, this is coming from a guy who's family despises UF and are hardcore FSU fans.
I don't believe that Tebow is ready yet. His mechanics need work, his footwork is questionable, and most importantly, his accuracy and pocket presence isn't there.
The thing is, all that can be improved in time. Those are skill sets that can be developed.

What can't be taught are the intangibles he brings. It's almost like his teammates dial it up another notch when he's in the game. He electrifies the fan base and his personality is magnetic. He's not a good QB, yet his teammates will listen and follow him. "Experts" will tell you that doesn't mean diddly poo, but if you have receivers and O-line personal genuinely wanting you to succeed, you have a chance to become a special player in the league.

In the end, from a rational point of view, Denver will be disappointed with his actual play. He'll probably be a tad better than average by the time his career is done. But if he can learn fast enough and the hype dies down a little, there's a chance a happy medium can be met by the fans in Denver and Tebow.

What are these "intangibles?"  Were those Tebow's "intangibles" that helped Knowshon Moreno turn a simple screen into a TD??  Are those the same "intangibles" that helped Brandon Lloyd make that ridiculous catch? 

I don't buy any of that...

Heard someone say that Tebow is like Sarah Palin. Good looking, has a huge following, & won't amount to anything...

Dave Zirin made a point on OTL that the Denver area has a huge Evangelical population. This is to fill the seats. Can't knock the hustle but also can't shy away from it.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

Brady quinn is on Suicide watch
At some point during the first half of Sunday's Chargers-Broncos game, as Kyle Orton was doing everything he could to get benched, the thought must've crossed backup quarterback Brady Quinn's mind. Maybe he'd be the guy to replace Orton. 

After all, there was talk that Quinn, after a solid preseason, had passed Tim Tebow on the depth chart. Turns out, that was a figment of our imagination. On Monday, Broncos head coach John Fox spoke about the decision to go with Tebow over Quinn on Sunday. 

"I think sometimes that’s not reality. I think the call to go with Tim was obviously something we discussed before, but I didn’t want that outwardly known regardless of perception. I think we kind of showed our hand.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

Please note, this is coming from a guy who's family despises UF and are hardcore FSU fans.
I don't believe that Tebow is ready yet. His mechanics need work, his footwork is questionable, and most importantly, his accuracy and pocket presence isn't there.
The thing is, all that can be improved in time. Those are skill sets that can be developed.

What can't be taught are the intangibles he brings. It's almost like his teammates dial it up another notch when he's in the game. He electrifies the fan base and his personality is magnetic. He's not a good QB, yet his teammates will listen and follow him. "Experts" will tell you that doesn't mean diddly poo, but if you have receivers and O-line personal genuinely wanting you to succeed, you have a chance to become a special player in the league.

In the end, from a rational point of view, Denver will be disappointed with his actual play. He'll probably be a tad better than average by the time his career is done. But if he can learn fast enough and the hype dies down a little, there's a chance a happy medium can be met by the fans in Denver and Tebow.
THIS.
Coming to Florida post graduating and watching this young man live at Florida, these were the very things that have personified Tebow even since his days at the High School level. He has that unspoken aura about him that just wills people to be lead by him. I'm not even expressing homerism neither, this is just pure and unadulterated facts seen first hand. I agree with points you made of him, not all mind you, but definitely concise enough for me to rationalize with what you're saying. No he doesn't have the strongest arm and no he isn't the most accurate and no his mechanics aren't where they need to be yet but at the the end of the day, if rallied and supported by his teammates where he can excel in whatever facet he resides within, he'll experience imminent success. He wants to be a quarterback, he wants to help his teammates succeed and he wants to win. I think it's hard for us to grasp this young man's persona because I doubt we've seen it much in Sports. It's almost as if we're describing ways not necessarily for him to fail, but pointing out the areas where he won't succeed. An interesting conundrum that is pretty unique to the situation. I'm rooting for the homie like I have been since he stepped foot on campus wearing a Gator jersey, I think Denver fans have done the same as well ... 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Dave Zirin made a point on OTL that the Denver area has a huge Evangelical population. This is to fill the seats. Can't knock the hustle but also can't shy away from it.

Makes perfect sense.

Intangibles
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif

i just don't get why tebow fans/supporters feel that any sort of criticism of him, is some sort of an indictment of his religious views..

i mean he's not the first overly religious person in football.. it shocked me when i first went stateside for high school and saw ppl from both teams getting together to pray.. then when i played football myself, i realized how much religion was used by both players and coaches alike..

sooo i don't get it

1. Quinn was #2, what happened?
2. I was watching Trent Dilfer SMASH on Tebow last night, hahahaha
3. He did not look good in the game at all, thought I was watching pop warner football. So short and his release just look ******ed.
4. They're saying he's starting just to shut fans up by showing them he's not the answer. OD

Originally Posted by jville819

Denver fans will eventually get pissed at his play and John Fox is just gonna
laugh.gif

Even if that does happen, good will come out of it. They can then say " Now u see why he was 3rd on the depth charter " .. But he has to start now, the team isnt good and its what all of the fans want.. Gotta give them some sort of entertainment, game is much more exciting when he's in the game for some reason.
You worry about Ponder tho 
laugh.gif

broncos are better with tebow in the line up, so it makes sense. they still suck though

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

1. Quinn was #2, what happened?
2. I was watching Trent Dilfer SMASH on Tebow last night, hahahaha
3. He did not look good in the game at all, thought I was watching pop warner football. So short and his release just look ******ed.
4. They're saying he's starting just to shut fans up by showing them he's not the answer. OD

He has little-to-no trade value..so if they want him off the roster, they have to play him and HOPE he shows something that looks appealing to another team. 

I'll let you guys argue this out, but from what I saw, Tebow ignited that crowd and ultimately his team and this isn't the first time we've seen this from Tim in the NFL. He deserves his shot and success isn't as far fetched as some make it seem.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

I'll let you guys argue this out, but from what I saw, Tebow ignited that crowd and ultimately his team and this isn't the first time we've seen this from Tim in the NFL. He deserves his shot and success isn't as far fetched as some make it seem.
Can you tell me how he ignited his team off of 4 completions?  Or were those the "intangibles?" 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Can you tell me how he ignited his team off of 4 completions?  Or were those the "intangibles?" 

He did put them in a spot where they had a chance to win the game.  Whether it was because of his play or not, its something Orton failed to do.

24digrk.gif

I'm indifferent to Tebow. I respected what he did in college, I was annoyed with the media's focus on him. One thing to praise his athletic ability and performance, but I got tired of about hearing how much better a human being Tebow was than all of us mere mortals.

Let him play, I won't root for him to fail by any means, at least now we'll see.

He provided a spark. No doubt about it, but let's see how long that spark lasts when he keeps short arming duck passes to his wideouts.

Denver is not winning with Tebow at the helm. No this year at least.

Originally Posted by Durden7

He did put them in a spot where they had a chance to win the game.  Whether it was because of his play or not, its something Orton failed to do.
And this my friends is why Tim Tebow will start for a long time in this league. He will be the first quarterback to be judged strictly on his record as opposed to stats. I guarantee he will succeed in the NFL as a starting quarterback.

laugh.gif
Shutup, man. You're getting way to carried away now with this intangible thing. Just look at the film homie. That team was stalling on every "drive," and were completely lifeless. Tebow comes in and by whatever means got his team going and re-energized everyone involved. He did this last year too.

We all just need to relax on the issue and see what happens, because right now, he deserves his shot. If he gets this team winning, *$#$ his mechanics and all the negative opinions...It really doesn't matter.

Intangibles - a word reserved for caucasian QBs who don't have the prototypical QB traits.

"Tim Tebow may not have accuracy, but he has all the intangibles in the world."
"Matt Ryan can't throw the deep ball, but he has the intangibles that can't be taught."
"Kevin Kolb got that big contract not because of game film, but because of the intangibles he brings to the table."

I'm tired of this word.

laugh.gif
Shutup, man. You're getting way to carried away now with this intangible thing. Just look at the film homie. That team was stalling on every "drive," and were completely lifeless. Tebow comes in and by whatever means got his team going and re-energized everyone involved. He did this last year too.

We all just need to relax on the issue and see what happens, because right now, he deserves his shot. If he gets this team winning, *$#$ his mechanics and all the negative opinions...It really doesn't matter.
laugh.gif
give me a +@*@**! break...Tebow's presence didn't ignite @$+%.  He did NOTHING special on Sunday. 

Only thing that I agree w. you on is that we'll just have to see what happens.  I stand by my opinion that he's only getting the start due to showcasing him for a potential trade.  Don't you find it a bit curious that both Elway and Fox (who weren't for the guy) have him starting?  A guy #3 on the depth chart OVERTAKES the #2 and that shouldn't raise an eyebrow?  C'mon now...Like I said...folks asked for it, now they got it. 

Back
Top Bottom