Time will tell

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

It's important to realize in life that we all can't capture our dreams.  If everyone could, we would all be in the NBA.  I'd reccomend going to see a therapist so you can start to talk to them about why this dream means so much to you and how you can start the next phase of your life.

go to usbasket.com

oh and for the trolls, this is actually a serious matter. This is about someone who is about to realize his dream. MonStar I see you making it, you def got game, and u got the heart and drive.

check the website tho usbasket.com, lotta good stuff on there

Also I know a guy who just came back from playing ball in Peru. If you live near DC I can hook u up with dude's info.

I <3 you, for real.

My ADD wouldn't allow me to read that wall of words but good luck in your future endeavors.

Originally Posted by illwill24

Also I know a guy who just came back from playing ball in Peru. If you live near DC I can hook u up with dude's info.
Hit me up on the PM.  I'm in No.Va.

Originally Posted by psk2310

The only contacts I have are in high school & college. After peepin' your videos (the one you posted here & some on your website), I see you do a lot of scoring but I don't see you handling the rock & running half court offenses. At 6"1', your not going to get many looks on teams. I hate to say it but there's lots of 6" guys that can score. The only saving grace shorter players have is if they can shoot from 3 point & mid range J. How do you think someone like Dell Curry or Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson had such a long career in the NBA.
I agree with you.  Problem is at that tryout and sometimes I end up sliding and playing the wing because I'll be on the court with dudes 5'9 and dominate the ball.  There's times when literally 3 people are calling for the rock of the inbounds.  So I just move into the scorers role. It's a problem but I still try my best to show I can handle and distribute also.  At the Dayton tryout the asst coach said "Give him the ball he's the best scorer in the gym".  I just knew I was going to get signed after that. 
indifferent.gif
  I was just taking good shots and being aggressive.  I didn't force anything but I guess they assumed I was a Iverson/Ben Gordon.  Oh well.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by psk2310

The only contacts I have are in high school & college. After peepin' your videos (the one you posted here & some on your website), I see you do a lot of scoring but I don't see you handling the rock & running half court offenses. At 6"1', your not going to get many looks on teams. I hate to say it but there's lots of 6" guys that can score. The only saving grace shorter players have is if they can shoot from 3 point & mid range J. How do you think someone like Dell Curry or Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson had such a long career in the NBA.
I agree with you.  Problem is at that tryout and sometimes I end up sliding and playing the wing because I'll be on the court with dudes 5'9 and dominate the ball.  There's times when literally 3 people are calling for the rock of the inbounds.  So I just move into the scorers role. It's a problem but I still try my best to show I can handle and distribute also.  At the Dayton tryout the asst coach said "Give him the ball he's the best scorer in the gym".  I just knew I was going to get signed after that. 
indifferent.gif
  I was just taking good shots and being aggressive.  I didn't force anything but I guess they assumed I was a Iverson/Ben Gordon.  Oh well.

Someone I used to know (but haven't talk to in a while) used to work for the Wizards when they were called the Bullets (back in the Landover days). I'll see if I can contact him to see what he's doing & if he has any contacts....Can't promise anything....

Didn't realize you were Truth, your a lot less annoying now, but do you have a agent? It's kinda hard to focus on your game, and creating your own opportunities with little to no connections. 

Originally Posted by Wade187

Didn't realize you were Truth, your a lot less annoying now, but do you have a agent? It's kinda hard to focus on your game, and creating your own opportunities with little to no connections. 
No I don't have an agent.  Been trying for a while now tho

And psk2310 thanks for helping.  I appreciate anything you can do.  PM me if needed

same here. I was like "how can he be on NT trollin hard when he claims to be all about his bball career?"

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

same here. I was like "how can he be on NT trollin hard when he claims to be all about his bball career?"

have you seen my website?  That's all self made.  You can look at everything I've done on there.  You trying to say I don't take my career serious because I post on NT?

Drop the victim mentality.

Now before you get defensive on me, hear me out.

You've worked on your game a ton; awesome. Shot in dimly lit gyms to improve your shot (word to Ray Allen), done suicides with ankle weights till your thighs hated you; the hard work has clearly paid off for you, because obviously, your game is right.

You're trying to make connections; wonderful.

But the attitude isn't there yet. Get your mind right. Thinking things like "Oh well. I guess I'm not being paid to play basketball because I don't have an agent or I go to open runs and people think that I'm just another chucker like Iversen or Ben Gordon, or I'm too short, or people expect a different skill set from me."

Start thinking things like "The reason I'm not being paid to play basketball yet is simply because it hasn't happened. YET."

Why does it matter what's going on in your head? Why does it matter how you present yourself? People looking for talent, all they care about is basketball, right? Wrong.

I don't have deep basketball connections or anything like that, but I know 3 people who have been paid to play ball. And of course, the only thing I can see about you is your videos, but from what I've seen, you are better than the 3 people I've known. Two of them played at a small university in middle America (less than 500 students total), and the other one played one year at a community college in California.

But all 3 of them had a different attitude regarding why they weren't being paid to play ball. As long as I knew them, they OWNED the reason why they haven't cracked some league yet. When people talked to them, it wasn't "Oh well, I guess people just…" blah, blah, blah. No, when people asked "Bro, how are you not playing overseas?", it was responses like "Just hasn't happened yet.
smile.gif
"

I can speak so much more on this, but in short, I'm just trying to say that this victim mentality I'm picking up just from seeing you post gives off this vibe that your success or failure is determined by the planets lining up correctly or some other fortunate circumstance. And I think that is something that has contributed to you being held back so far.

Playing ball ain't working....

Rapping ain't working...

Only 1 option left for you, my friend...

Sell drugs...

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Drop the victim mentality.

Now before you get defensive on me, hear me out.

You've worked on your game a ton; awesome. Shot in dimly lit gyms to improve your shot (word to Ray Allen), done suicides with ankle weights till your thighs hated you; the hard work has clearly paid off for you, because obviously, your game is right.

You're trying to make connections; wonderful.

But the attitude isn't there yet. Get your mind right. Thinking things like "Oh well. I guess I'm not being paid to play basketball because I don't have an agent or I go to open runs and people think that I'm just another chucker like Iversen or Ben Gordon, or I'm too short, or people expect a different skill set from me."

Start thinking things like "The reason I'm not being paid to play basketball yet is simply because it hasn't happened. YET."

Why does it matter what's going on in your head? Why does it matter how you present yourself? People looking for talent, all they care about is basketball, right? Wrong.

I don't have deep basketball connections or anything like that, but I know 3 people who have been paid to play ball. And of course, the only thing I can see about you is your videos, but from what I've seen, you are better than the 3 people I've known. Two of them played at a small university in middle America (less than 500 students total), and the other one played one year at a community college in California.

But all 3 of them had a different attitude regarding why they weren't being paid to play ball. As long as I knew them, they OWNED the reason why they haven't cracked some league yet. When people talked to them, it wasn't "Oh well, I guess people just…" blah, blah, blah. No, when people asked "Bro, how are you not playing overseas?", it was responses like "Just hasn't happened yet.
smile.gif
"

I can speak so much more on this, but in short, I'm just trying to say that this victim mentality I'm picking up just from seeing you post gives off this vibe that your success or failure is determined by the planets lining up correctly or some other fortunate circumstance. And I think that is something that has contributed to you being held back so far.

Ska, 

I don't think you understand that "YET" might not be a possibility.  I'm not sure what your friend's financial situations were before they made it but mine isn't great. I'm struggling just like other college grads. . If I get a crazy injury more than likely there wont be a "yet" man.  I grind everyday to network and open a door for myself.  I look at most of the "semi-pro" guys in my area and they been in the same positions for years claiming "yet".  I don't say "yet" because there's pressure from other sources to "give it up man" or "grow up already".  I want...no I need "now".  And honestly you can call it a victim mentality but I feel like 98% of people would've quit by now if they walked in my shoes.  I didn't even play my senior year of high school. 

But I will keep what you said in mind.  I don't want to sound like I have a victim mentality but the constant struggle takes a toll on you.  Keeping positive energy is very important and I'll do my best to keep that mindset.

One of my boys was a 6'5", Division II All-American, Conference MVP. He led his team to the championship and still didn't get any looks in the NBA and is now playing overseas. My homegirl's cousin was a 6'8" starter at USC, he received an honorable mention award and is also playing overseas now.

Truth I wish you the best, but there's guys with D-1 and D-2 national honors, accolades, and more accomplished resumes that will never play in the NBA or get a league tryout. They have the talent and qualifications, it just won't happen for them. I'm sure most of us know people who went to school and got degrees but will never work in their dream career field. Its not fair, its just how it is.

Originally Posted by derrty6232

Playing ball ain't working....

Rapping ain't working...

Only 1 option left for you, my friend...

Sell drugs...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously though I hope you had your head in the books before or after the gym and have something to show for your college experience besides basketball  
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by you big dummy

One of my boys was a 6'5", Division II All-American, Conference MVP. He led his team to the championship and still didn't get any looks in the NBA and is now playing overseas. My homegirl's cousin was a 6'8" starter at USC, he received an honorable mention award and is also playing overseas now.

Truth I wish you the best, but there's guys with D-1 and D-2 national honors, accolades, and more accomplished resumes that will never play in the NBA or get a league tryout. They have the talent and qualifications, it just won't happen for them. I'm sure most of us know people who went to school and got degrees but will never work in their dream career field. Its not fair, its just how it is.
I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE NBA. PLEASE EVERYBODY STOP THINKING IM SALTY ABOUT NOT BEING IN THE LEAGUE.  I understand how hard it is to make the NBA.

I'm simply talking about playing in any pro league in any country on this planet Earth.  That's all I want.  That's it. 

My best advice for you would be to get an agent. Make sure you get someone legit as well, as I've heard of guys with dreams like you basically getting juxed out of money with guys selling them dreams of getting them in a league overseas.

yea you gonna need an agent...couple of my mans signed with an agent up here in bmore and they all over seas, one was even in the d league...send all your videos, stats, info etc to as many agents as possible focus on that rite now

I did not know MonStar1 was TruthGetsBusy.

That JLin thread getting you depressed not inspired doggie?

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Dear Niketalk,

This is your friend Monstar1 formerly TruthGetsBusy formerly VAsuperstar34.  This is cry for help.  I have devoted my life to the game and the game isn't showing that love in return.  If you've followed my thread ( http://niketalk.com/topic/94842  )you can see the path I've traveled from playing open gym on a carpet to college to pro tryouts.  I honestly believe my love for the game is only rivaled by guys like Kobe or Hubie Brown.  To a fault I let this game define who I am.  Most of you have been athletes before but could seperate your life from the field or court.  Well I can't.  My day to day self worth is determined by basketball.  There's ups and downs.  Alot of downs.  Like last week when my team had game point I caught a rebound off the rim and dunked it or basically threw it in Blake Griffin style and the whole gym at FMZ went wild.  Thats the feeling I live for.  I'm addicted.  But doing it at open gym isn't enough.  I need a bigger stage. Like when I dropped 30 in college (  )

I've basically taught myself the game.  The only good coach I've ever had was Will Robinson in high school.  My college coach is bum and was fired shortly after I finished school.  Thanks to google, youtube, and the library I continued to teach myself the game.  No mentors, nobody in my corner.  EVER.  I entered high school at 5'1.  Nobody ever gave me a chance.  Today I stand 6'1 with almost a 40 inch vert.  In high school I worked at Taco Bell and bought Air Alert with a money order.  I never was given anything.  The 1st basketball camp I attended was one I was a counselor at.  I've coached at camps for Gary Williams and Brenden Haywood.  I've had kids chant my name for dunks and give Lamar Butler a final 4 player with George Mason the side eye. 

I'm just giving you the ups and downs.  I just want to be paid to play.  Thats it.  I've played against enough guys to know I belong in that percentage but its like I don't know enough people.  I don't have an agent. Agents don't want to work with me because my lack of resume' which is understandable but I kill every tryout.   I'm always a top player in EVERY gym I play at.  This is a cry for help.  I need help to reach my goal because I don't know anything else.  I don't want anything else.  I don't have kids or anything holding me back from traveling. I tried to get this job in Kosovo but I didn't get it.

Everyday I attempt to find a way to network and find an avenue to getting signed somewhere.  It's just so hard.  Some of you guys are thinking I should just give up because clearly I'm not good enough right?  The thing is I always ask for people's honest opinions of my game and they say I can/should be a pro.  Not my family but coaches and players involved in pro basketball.  I don't have Yes Men around me.  I've had strangers say "one day i'll see you on tv" multiple times.  I don't let it go to my head but its like "damn people really see something in me".  If I was told "you can't do it" or "this ain't for you " by people involved with the pro game I would've quit. 

I wish you guys could feel my pain.  I've shed tears over this game.  I've done defensive slides with ankle weights at 2 am for this game.  I've created this website www.waynewashingtonhoops.com  to share my story and network.  It's helped but I'm not there yet.  Watch my videos.  Watch my try-out with the Dayton AirStrikers.  Watch it and tell me I shouldn't have got signed. (  ) I got a follow up dunk and then the next play down dropped the defender and splashed a 3. Its at the end of the video. Then go look up the guards that are currently there.  POLITICS. I give credit when its due and them dudes was not on my level. I have the talent and the drive.  I have the professionalism and work ethic.  I just need a chance. 

NT can you help me? or will you laugh and find a way to make my life worse?  Why not rally behind a person like me?  If I didn't have the talent then I wouldn't be doing this. I'm soooo close but soooo far.  Everyday is a struggle like biggie said.  I'm a self made player.  I'd die for this game. I know there's a way that NT or somebody on NT could help.  All I ask is you guys form your own opinions and don't follow the same
indifferent.gif
 or
tired.gif
 that the 1st reply gives.  Man in this age of technology lives can be changed within minutes.  Maybe mine will or maybe mine won't but just me writing this on a board of strangers should show how serious and desperate I am. 

So you might ask "How can I help?" if you aren't in a position to contact coaches, players, GMs.  You could help my movement.  When you have fans and people behind you the masses listen.  Lil B' is Lil B' because of the fans.  Jeremy Lin is a great player but his fans make him larger than life. 

Before you post in this thread please review my videos and even blog to understand who I am and what I'm capable of.  Peace.

Sincerely,

MonStar1 aka Truth

2nbyeps.jpg

go get a job seriously
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom