Tips on Beating the Zone Defense in Basketball

What's up NT. For those of you who've played against a zone defense, preferably a 2-3 zone, what tips and advice could you give me? I joined a rec league where a lot of teams use the 2-3 zone.

What's up NT. For those of you who've played against a zone defense, preferably a 2-3 zone, what tips and advice could you give me? I joined a rec league where a lot of teams use the 2-3 zone.

Most people would say "improve your outside shooting", which is true, and something that is very important in beating a zone.

But I’d say it is equally, if not more important to attack the seams of a zone. Quick ball movement, timely cuts, and effective dribble penetration can effectively render a 2-3 zone useless. Once you get to the seams, plenty of opportunities there for you and your team.

Most people would say "improve your outside shooting", which is true, and something that is very important in beating a zone.

But I’d say it is equally, if not more important to attack the seams of a zone. Quick ball movement, timely cuts, and effective dribble penetration can effectively render a 2-3 zone useless. Once you get to the seams, plenty of opportunities there for you and your team.

Watch a Louisville or Pitt game vs Cuse in the past 5 years 
tired.gif

You can of course shoot someone right out of a zone. But the most effective way is to attack the zone and make it move. Penetration and ball movement are important. 
Try to get a good passer to cut toward the free throw line in the middle of the zone. You can utilize back door passes from there and midrange corner jumpers. 

You can of course shoot someone right out of a zone. But the most effective way is to attack the zone and make it move. Penetration and ball movement are important. 
Try to get a good passer to cut toward the free throw line in the middle of the zone. You can utilize back door passes from there and midrange corner jumpers. 

If you can find a highlight of Pitt vs. Syracuse from early January, that was an ULTIMATE breakdown of the 2-3 zone defense. Pitt killed Syracuse's zone that game. Getting the ball in the middle of the floor to Nasir Robinson, and he made plays from there. Some attacks to the rim, some dish offs. Some kick outs to the corners. Getting the ball in the middle of the zone is key.

***OK I found a video. Turn the volume down please.
laugh.gif
. Pay attention to how often Pitt gets the ball in the middle to #35.

If you can find a highlight of Pitt vs. Syracuse from early January, that was an ULTIMATE breakdown of the 2-3 zone defense. Pitt killed Syracuse's zone that game. Getting the ball in the middle of the floor to Nasir Robinson, and he made plays from there. Some attacks to the rim, some dish offs. Some kick outs to the corners. Getting the ball in the middle of the zone is key.

***OK I found a video. Turn the volume down please.
laugh.gif
. Pay attention to how often Pitt gets the ball in the middle to #35.

Try to get someone in the middle (10-15 away from the hoop), in that area you have many options. If they collapse a shooter should be able to get a great look, if the big men cheat up you can catch them napping and feed your big man for a lay-up, or if they don't do anything, you could get a decent mid-range look.

Try to get someone in the middle (10-15 away from the hoop), in that area you have many options. If they collapse a shooter should be able to get a great look, if the big men cheat up you can catch them napping and feed your big man for a lay-up, or if they don't do anything, you could get a decent mid-range look.

1. Try to beat the Zone down the floor

2. Overload one side of the floor (this will eventually force two guys to guard three)

3. Dribble penetration

4. Work behind the zone and screen the backline players

5. Put your best shooter in the middle of the zone and allow them to go to work from the top of the key (pass to open teammates cutting to the rim or hitting 15 foot jumpers).

1. Try to beat the Zone down the floor

2. Overload one side of the floor (this will eventually force two guys to guard three)

3. Dribble penetration

4. Work behind the zone and screen the backline players

5. Put your best shooter in the middle of the zone and allow them to go to work from the top of the key (pass to open teammates cutting to the rim or hitting 15 foot jumpers).

Back
Top Bottom