3) Get the ball into the gray area
4) Knock down three-pointers
5) Screen the zone

1) attack gaps with the dribble
2) Get the ball into the high post
3) Get the ball into the gray area
4) Knock down three-pointers
5) Screen the zone

Get the ball into the paint via high post and swing it to the left (to the left of that dude is your man that ran baseline from the high post feed) and have the dude to the left of the point guard at the top of the key set a screen on the man on the point guard's left and have the high post guy dive to the block opposite he passed (right) and seal the 3rd defender as the point guard is using the screen for a 3ptr preferably in between the corner and the space that the shooting guard was originally in and have the dude you passed it to throw it cross court. Obviously the timing has to be better and quicker than what it sounds typed out.

Get the ball into the paint via high post and swing it to the left (to the left of that dude is your man that ran baseline from the high post feed) and have the dude to the left of the point guard at the top of the key set a screen on the man on the point guard's left and have the high post guy dive to the block opposite he passed (right) and seal the 3rd defender as the point guard is using the screen for a 3ptr preferably in between the corner and the space that the shooting guard was originally in and have the dude you passed it to throw it cross court. Obviously the timing has to be better and quicker than what it sounds typed out.

Originally Posted by rashi

Set screens or shoot the lights out.

This.

Or just keep the ball moving, until eventually one side shifts too late - thus leading to an open lane or shot.

Originally Posted by rashi

Set screens or shoot the lights out.

This.

Or just keep the ball moving, until eventually one side shifts too late - thus leading to an open lane or shot.

You can pass into the middle of the zone around the ft line.
Get to the middle of the zone with dribble penetration
Ball screens
Shoot them out of it
Swing the ball around the perimeter to make the defense shift until it becomes a man(that's the UTk method).

You can pass into the middle of the zone around the ft line.
Get to the middle of the zone with dribble penetration
Ball screens
Shoot them out of it
Swing the ball around the perimeter to make the defense shift until it becomes a man(that's the UTk method).

Originally Posted by xBraveHeartX

PENETRATE!!!

The zone is designed to stop penetration...

But as someone who sees 2-3 zones weekly in rec leagues, give and go is perfect. Point swings to wing cuts to FT line area gets it back and now has options. Shoot mid-short range J, or drive for layup. If you drive to the cup you have two more decisions, if the defender commits find the big for he dish and easy basket. If the defender stays home go straight up for the easy 2.

PENETRATE!!!

But as someone who sees 2-3 zones weekly in rec leagues, give and go is perfect. Point swings to wing cuts to FT line area gets it back and now has options. Shoot mid-short range J, or drive for layup. If you drive to the cup you have two more decisions, if the defender commits find the big for he dish and easy basket. If the defender stays home go straight up for the easy 2.

Anyone that knows basketball knows that if you have someone who can beat their man off the dribble the zone is proved

worthless. The point of the zone is to force an outside jumper , get the ball to the middle of the floor (free throw line extended)

and the zone is broken. Same with a full court press, get the ball to the middle of the court and its broken.

FIND THE OPEN MAN!

Anyone that knows basketball knows that if you have someone who can beat their man off the dribble the zone is proved

worthless. The point of the zone is to force an outside jumper , get the ball to the middle of the floor (free throw line extended)

and the zone is broken. Same with a full court press, get the ball to the middle of the court and its broken.

FIND THE OPEN MAN!

DCAllAmerican wrote:
If you can find a highlight of Pitt vs. Syracuse from early January, that was an ULTIMATE breakdown of the 2-3 zone defense. Pitt killed Syracuse's zone that game. Getting the ball in the middle of the floor to Nasir Robinson, and he made plays from there. Some attacks to the rim, some dish offs. Some kick outs to the corners. Getting the ball in the middle of the zone is key.

***OK I found a video. Turn the volume down please.
laugh.gif
. Pay attention to how often Pitt gets the ball in the middle to #35.

Funny, I coach Men's Freshman Basketball, and straight jacked the basic principles of Pitt's offense when i saw this game.  I was just watching it for fun because i'm a Pitt fan, but their zone O was different than what we were running, and i liked what i was saying so i "borrowed" it.

But yeah, i put this in against a league team who runs ONLY 2-3. We scored 44 in a loss the first time. With this set, we put up 58 in a W. And it was for all the reasons DC brought up. Moved my SF to PF since he's a better finisher than either of my posts, and kept hitting him at the high post and he went to work. Finished with 24 and 5 assists if i remember. Now the Guards did a great job moving the ballon the perimeter and making a couple 3's to open up that High Post entry, but once we got it in there with a guy who knew what do with it, the zone was toast.

DCAllAmerican wrote:
If you can find a highlight of Pitt vs. Syracuse from early January, that was an ULTIMATE breakdown of the 2-3 zone defense. Pitt killed Syracuse's zone that game. Getting the ball in the middle of the floor to Nasir Robinson, and he made plays from there. Some attacks to the rim, some dish offs. Some kick outs to the corners. Getting the ball in the middle of the zone is key.

***OK I found a video. Turn the volume down please.
laugh.gif
. Pay attention to how often Pitt gets the ball in the middle to #35.

Funny, I coach Men's Freshman Basketball, and straight jacked the basic principles of Pitt's offense when i saw this game.  I was just watching it for fun because i'm a Pitt fan, but their zone O was different than what we were running, and i liked what i was saying so i "borrowed" it.

But yeah, i put this in against a league team who runs ONLY 2-3. We scored 44 in a loss the first time. With this set, we put up 58 in a W. And it was for all the reasons DC brought up. Moved my SF to PF since he's a better finisher than either of my posts, and kept hitting him at the high post and he went to work. Finished with 24 and 5 assists if i remember. Now the Guards did a great job moving the ballon the perimeter and making a couple 3's to open up that High Post entry, but once we got it in there with a guy who knew what do with it, the zone was toast.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

PENETRATE!!!

Well said.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

PENETRATE!!!

Well said.

Originally Posted by miamib30514

FIND THE OPEN MAN!
laugh.gif
 we saw a lot of zone defense against us in the beginning of the season...

Originally Posted by miamib30514

FIND THE OPEN MAN!
laugh.gif
 we saw a lot of zone defense against us in the beginning of the season...

Attack the gaps, attack the gaps, or you can always just attack the gaps.

Oh, and uh, attack the gaps.

Spoiler [+]
Attack the gaps.

Attack the gaps, attack the gaps, or you can always just attack the gaps.

Oh, and uh, attack the gaps.

Spoiler [+]
Attack the gaps.

i usually flash middle and if i get the ball i look baseline for a cutter first before i shoot

i usually flash middle and if i get the ball i look baseline for a cutter first before i shoot

Back
Top Bottom