Toronto Raptors Off-Season Post: Home of the Red, White, and BLACK

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

But Rip is exactly what were needing; a slasher. Dude can create his own shot by driving to the hole, as well as come off screens and make the right play.

Perimeter scoring is a dime a dozen but interior defense is far more difficult to find. We have been looking for it since Camby left.

I wouldn't call rip a slasher, he is a jump shooter which sometimes will pump fake and drive. I really think Kapono and Rip are analogous aside fromathleticism.

Plus interior defense was a far bigger need.

Webster and Frye's contracts run out after next season as well.

At least O'neal gives us two years of playing and a ton of cash off the books for a solid free agent class.

Rip Hamilton can help any team but its obvious that Colangelo has made his decision with Calderon. He wouldn't give up Caldy for Jesus.

I just hope JO comes through with a double double year or something close. If Bosh, JO and Caldy can put up all-star numbers they'll give us a legit threeheaded monster with Bargnani hopefully contributing on the regular. I still say our fate relies on Bargnani. If dude comes back focused then we'll be acontender. If its same old inconsistent soft Euro, then we'll see another first round exit.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I really don't think Rip makes us that much better. He's really not that much different Kapono except he plays better defense and more athletic and it doesn't solve our biggest problem. I think a healthy JO makes us much better than having Rip.

ever just see things on NT and wonder how someone could really believe what they were saying?

the bargs thing was a difference of opinion on potential and effectiveness and i didnt think your side was baffoonery or anything, but THIS.

jason kapono cant even see rip hamilton.

rip could've given the raptors a certified big time scoring threat from the perimeter. that is absolutely filling a need for the raps.

dude is a legit 20 ppg scorer and kapono wil nevereverevereverevereverevereverevetevereverever accomplish that.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I really don't think Rip makes us that much better. He's really not that much different Kapono except he plays better defense and more athletic and it doesn't solve our biggest problem. I think a healthy JO makes us much better than having Rip.

ever just see things on NT and wonder how someone could really believe what they were saying?

the bargs thing was a difference of opinion on potential and effectiveness and i didnt think your side was baffoonery or anything, but THIS.

jason kapono cant even see rip hamilton.

rip could've given the raptors a certified big time scoring threat from the perimeter. that is absolutely filling a need for the raps.

dude is a legit 20 ppg scorer and kapono wil nevereverevereverevereverevereverevetevereverever accomplish that.

I didn't say Kapono was better I said they play the same time of game. Crafty screen using jump shooters, who occasionally drive, the only bigdifference is athleticism wich makes Rip a better finisher. Other than that they have the same skillset.
Also, If Kapono wasn't stuck on the bench he could average far more ponts.

Kapono's problem is a) Sam Mitchell is an idiot and doesn't know how to utilize him in plays b) he doesn't get minutes to warm up and get enoughshots to get hot c) he plays below average defense d) Sam Mitchell is an idiot.

JK24 was on fire in the playoffs...if he performs like that during the regular season we're 5-10 wins improved.

I heard that Maceo Baston is the 3rd Raptor involved in the trade so it'll look like this...

Pacers get:
-Ford
-Rasho
-Baston
-Whoever the Raps draft at #17

Toronto get:
-Jermaine O'Neal
-Whoever the Pacers draft at #41

And the Pacers plan on buying out Rasho's contract which will lead to Rasho resigning with the Raps.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I heard that Maceo Baston is the 3rd Raptor involved in the trade so it'll look like this...

Pacers get:
-Ford
-Rasho
-Baston
-Whoever the Raps draft at #17

Toronto get:
-Jermaine O'Neal
-Whoever the Pacers draft at #41

And the Pacers plan on buying out Rasho's contract which will lead to Rasho resigning with the Raps.

ok,if it goes down like that then it isnt as bad as i initially thought. I jsut hope joneal is healthy enough to play at least 60 games. He finally givesus good post presence and great post D. I hope he's happy with the trade that will effect how hard he tries to stay healthy and actually play good. torontois a much better city than indianna so hopefully he likes our team and our city.

Anyone hear about this?

Pacers call O'Neal trade "speculation"

1 hour ago

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The Indiana Pacers denied on Thursday reports of a deal to trade six-time All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal to the Toronto Raptors for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic, the 17th pick in the draft and a player to be named.

The deal was reported by Yahoo, citing an unidentified NBA executive, and The Indianapolis Star, which cited a person familiar with the talks that it did not name.

Pacers spokesman David Benner said those reports were premature.

"There is no trade to announce. It is all speculation," Benner told The Associated Press.

Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that he was in the midst of "four or five" conversations with teams involving Ford and a combination of Toronto's No. 17 pick and/or other Raptors players leading up to Thursday night's draft.

A deal can't be finalized until July 1, when Ford's base-year compensation tag comes off the books, and Yahoo and the Star both said O'Neal and Ford must still pass physicals.

The Associated Press left messages seeking comment Thursday for O'Neal's agent, Arn Tellem.

O'Neal, who will turn 30 before entering his 13th season, has a contract paying him more than $44 million over the next two seasons.

The trade would leave the Pacers without their most-prominent player since Reggie Miller retired three years ago. It would, however, give them another first-round draft pick to go with their No. 11 selection as they look to rebuild after missing the playoffs two consecutive years.

Acquiring Ford also would give them a possible replacement at point guard for Jamaal Tinsley, who is unpopular with fans and has missed much time with injuries in recent seasons.

Ford has his own health problems, including being diagnosed in 2001 with spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the openings of the vertebra the spinal cord runs through. He suffered a neck injury in February 2004 and was sidelined until the 2005-06 season.

Ford averaged a career-high 14 points and 7.9 assists in 2006-07 as the Raptors won the Atlantic Division. Last season, Ford missed 24 games after hitting his head on the court during a December game and ended up averaging 12.1 points and 6.1 assists.

O'Neal averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds in 42 games last season, missing 33 games in midseason because of pain and swelling from an injured left knee. He tore meniscus cartilage in his left knee during the 2006-07 season and had surgery in April 2007, but it hadn't healed fully by last fall's training camp.

O'Neal and the Pacers have struggled since 2003-04 when the team had the NBA's best record at 61-21 and he finished third in the MVP voting after averaging 20.1 points and 10 rebounds. He was suspended the following season for 15 games for his role in the brawl with Detroit Pistons fans. He has missed 122 games the past four seasons.

Nesterovic, a 7-footer from Slovenia, averaged 7.8 points and 4.8 rebounds last season in his ninth NBA season.

(This version CORRECTS overline to say Pacers sted 'Raptors' denying reports.))

Ford is a BYC player so trades can't be announced/confirmed/passed until July 9, that's probably why.

Also, If Kapono wasn't stuck on the bench he could average far more ponts.

Im hoping the playoffs shows this to Sam. If he still doesnt get it, then I dont know how else he will understand. Definitely agree with that. +1
JK24 was on fire in the playoffs...if he performs like that during the regular season we're 5-10 wins improved.

Bingo. +1
I think his defense on a technical level is fine but he's just not athletic enough to keep elite guards.

Thank you. I have believed that he plays decent defense (I mean, considering he is a UCLA product... no idea what I mean by saying that), but not stellar. Buthe does at least try on the defensive end; he just doesnt keep up with the superstar players
laugh.gif
. +1 again OKB
pimp.gif

Speculation that the trade didnt go through?
Man, if this turns out to be another Mavs/Nets situation, ill be pissed.

But if he's not keeping up with elite players, which most SG's are in the L...why have him when you can have someone who shuts down players?

Everyone can play decent, technical defense, but if you can't stop guys like Rashard Lewis, Tracy McGrady, Vince, etc...what's the point if you'retrying to build a championship caliber team? That's what I'm getting at.

^ Yeah, I agree with that. Im just saying, Kapono is better than people make him out to be. Rip is definitely a step up, if not two, from Kapono, but Kapono isstill a good player that can fit in our system, if given the chance.

The trade is pretty much official, it just cant go through until July 9.

The Raptors are still going to draft at #17 tonight but they're going to take whoever Larry Bird tells them to take. The player will still come to thestage and put on a Raptors hat even though he knows he'll never play for the team.

Kapono knows his role in the league, come off the bench, score 10 ppg, provide some effort on D. As mentioned, Mitchell is an idiot who doesn't know howto get the most out of his players. Although I hated the Kapono signing (and still do), his contract is very tradeable, and as long as he plays within hisrole, he should be a valuable contributor to the team.

I hope the Pacers buy out Rasho and he comes back and signs with us for 1-2 seasons. We need some depth upfront, Rasho has shown that he can give you 15 and10 when given some playing time (unfortunately it took idiot Sam Mitchell 150 games to realize this.

Tranlsation of that article:

The croatian base Roko Leni-Ukic will not play in the Barça in the next season, since the club azulgrana has asked him that be sought team. The Toronto Raptors, that have the right since they chose it in the Draft of 2005 (number 41), they want to incorporate it as third base, the one that to day of today is the clearest option. Ukic has played this campaign yielded in the Lottomatica of Rome.

With the more than possible renewal of José Manuel Cauldron, the Raptors want to incorporate to Ukic as third 'point guard' of the team, while they will seek in the market a substitute for the extremaduran one.

freetranlsation.com FTW

BC better bring Roko over here.

Edit - How could I fix that big gap between the Team name and the players name on my sig ? I try to put it closer but it still wouldnt work.

Eff I dont know whats wrong with my reply.

Copy my sig, go into your account, then hit the HTML button. You can make changes like that, or copy the html code and edit accordingly... if that makes sense.

Eff I hate Yuku

Back
Top Bottom