Toronto Raptors Off-Season Post: Home of the Red, White, and BLACK

^ its all good my man i do live in t-dot for 4 months of the year so i do know whatsup a lil bit.

Not sure if you guys will agree with me here but the raptors are one of the only teams in the east that play a lil bit of a free flowing style and since theyplay in the east the half court game is of course integral, but WHAT THE %%#* is up with Sam Mitchell. Dude is a nbdl level coach. So many fundamentalmistakes. I say you get a discipline guy who preaches toughness and you gravy. J VAN GUNDY. Sounds wierd a guy like him coaching toronto. but he loves canada,preaches a defensive mindset and he is one of the old school guys that appreciates good offensive players. mitchell has to go though thats so important i haveno idea how hes gotten away with his performance last year. Raptors make the first round lose again and he gets away with it.. unbelievable.. any other teamwould have let him out.

if there is a god you guys would draft brandon rush. Great defensive player, knows his role, is a good shooter, and i can see him complementing calderon wellbecause he is able to handle the ball. Use the ford trade for a big man who brings toughness but did not die 2 years ago like joneal did...

i feel the raps my second squad im gonna contribute a lot to the season posts from now

Originally Posted by PrinSe3

^ its all good my man i do live in t-dot for 4 months of the year so i do know whatsup a lil bit.

Not sure if you guys will agree with me here but the raptors are one of the only teams in the east that play a lil bit of a free flowing style and since they play in the east the half court game is of course integral, but WHAT THE %%#* is up with Sam Mitchell. Dude is a nbdl level coach. So many fundamental mistakes. I say you get a discipline guy who preaches toughness and you gravy. J VAN GUNDY. Sounds wierd a guy like him coaching toronto. but he loves canada, preaches a defensive mindset and he is one of the old school guys that appreciates good offensive players. mitchell has to go though thats so important i have no idea how hes gotten away with his performance last year. Raptors make the first round lose again and he gets away with it.. unbelievable.. any other team would have let him out.

if there is a god you guys would draft brandon rush. Great defensive player, knows his role, is a good shooter, and i can see him complementing calderon well because he is able to handle the ball. Use the ford trade for a big man who brings toughness but did not die 2 years ago like joneal did...

i feel the raps my second squad im gonna contribute a lot to the season posts from now

preach!
glasses.gif
and draft a slashing guard with the draft..

^ actually i think brandon rush could fill in what parker does very well.

but i dont think theres much more to his game than that.

players that i think would be acceptable choices at 17.

rush
deandre jordan
rlopez
mario chalmers

on the fringe about roy and koufos.

...........................and rose and beasley
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by brrraptors

what do you guys think of batum?

Dude was a projected lottery pick but he had a poor year in the Euro league. I want him, their is no one else at that position that can really help us.Might as well take a leap.

Nicolas Batum is the second international player of note, and though he failed to break out this season, he remains a prospect with a ton ofupside. Compared to Gallinari, Batum is a much riskier pick, but one with considerably more potential.

With a 7-foot-1 wingspan, he's able to get to the rim quickly and has the perfect physique and athletic ability to be a standout at small forward. Hisskill level, while unpolished, has shown solid development the past few seasons.

Like Gallinari, Batum has professional experience in Europe, and though teams would like to see him be more assertive and take over, they like hisunselfishness and willingness to play for the team.

He must overcome the cultural and geographical obstacles, and mature both mentally and physically before realizing his high ceiling.

Batum cut short his workout with Toronto last week after feeling sick, and his cardio test revealed some red flags. Further tests were scheduled for Monday,and he checked out well and has resumed working out for teams leading up to Thursday.

For a team drafting in the late teens to early 20s, Batum offers a great deal of upside, and due to the draft position, less risk. If the heart concerns drophim past the low 20s, he will become the draft's biggest sleeper.

My only concern with Batum are all the talks of inconsistencies hes shown, especially in the past year. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt if hetruly does have that high a ceiling that he can eventually realize.

I think he could be a good for the raps, we could use that athleticism and wingspan to crash the boards/hustle. He could be that sparkplug ..exploding to thebasket since I hear he has a quick first step. Theres also concern that the dude is frail, easily pushed around on the defensive end. Needs to hit the gym packon the pounds and play more aggressive.. .oh wait we already have that dude in Bargnani. This is where I dont know if hes the right fit.

We have to move up. Its either that, or like you guys said; trade TJ for some toughness.

And PrinSe, We all know Sam is a terrible coach.

If I want anybody as the Raps coach, I want JVG. The man will preach D until his players ears fall off. Hes good in my books.
Unfortunately, when BC gets someone, he sticks with them forever.

While BC is in Toronto, the following will happen:
No Euro's will be traded
Bargs will be a starter
Sam will be the coach
We will be trading draft picks for already proven players

the last one is the only positive... unless we bring in more Delfino's...
laugh.gif

Problem is trade up to take who? Nobody really fits that bill, to go through the efforts to trade up.

The only players I would want to trade up for are Joe Alexander(not happening), OJ(NOT happening).

But if it did happen...
eek.gif

I want JVG. The man will preach D until his players ears fall off.
toughness too, if there is an altercation, he'll be on someone's leg in a flash
laugh.gif

i thought they should have gone after carlisle a longlonglonglonglong time before the mavs grabbed him. he was unemployed all season.

man, draft season, exciting time to be a fan.

batum is too risky of a pic. There is no more room for unselfish pass first euro players on this squad.

what about .. if the raps trade TJ to pacers but as part of the package also switch draft positions. that'd put them at #11 where they have a better chanceof landing a guy like Rush, Donte Green, Gallinari etc.

1 more day to go boys... I'll be expecting some big news outta BC anytime in the next 24hrs

Watching a vid of Batum, the guy does have that wingspan, speed, explosive first step and a decent jumper. To me hes very reminiscent of a tayshaun prince inhow his body looks. Hes a lil frail and probably will fill out his frame within the next couple years but this cat has a lotta potential. I just dont want himto be yet another inconsistent dude on the raps roster, as if we dont already have enough of those

Originally Posted by brrraptors

what about .. if the raps trade TJ to pacers but as part of the package also switch draft positions. that'd put them at #11 where they have a better chance of landing a guy like Rush, Donte Green, Gallinari etc.
Call me crazy, but I think Rush will still be available at 17...

We definately should trade up for a guy with toughness. If Love falls to 8/9, we should try and trade up with the team that picks him.
Ive seen Love go as early as 4, and go as late as 12.

And Apoc, you talk like its possible that Sam is going to be fired.
laugh.gif

We know BC has a secret crush on Sam. Dude wont let him go even if his life depended on it.

batum is not a good pick for toronto. They can do better. first of all batum is a project, a work in progress....Toronto needs help immediately. Secondly hefits the mold of the typical toronto player (this is not a good thing) he plays soft, appears lost at times, and relies on his outside jumper when things arentgoing well instead of using his athleticism and taking it to the hoop hard. Toronto does not need a shooting guard version of bargnani. Someone with unlimitedpotential but not the capacity to utilize it properly.

This draft is one of the most unpredictable in history. The ranges for the picks are quite large. For example bayless can go anywhere from 4- 12, brook lopezcan go anywhere from 3-12. This is not the common draft. Highly coveted players like Darrel Arthur could possibly be available to Toronto at pick 17 (how goodwould that be) or any other mid first round projected player. Toronto should leave alone the potential based picks like deandre jordan, batum, donte green....and pick someone that has can help right away a la brandon rush, arthur, chalmers, Robin lopez would help the interior defence immensely.

I do no want to see another potential pick for this squad. There is no time to wait. This is a good team, with good weapons, they just need a new coach andsomeone who can put them in the right direction.

I do no want to see another potential pick for this squad. There is no time to wait. This is a good team, with good weapons, they just need a new coach and someone who can put them in the right direction.

Man, we need more people like you in the front office.
I agree. We dont need another project player; we already have one in Bargs. As of right now, that #1 pick makes us look like fools for passing up onLamarcus/Roy/etc.

I think we go after someone who has proven they can play. But a big who has proven that he can be tough and rebound.

Then move Andrea to the three, Kapono to the 2, and Jose to the 1.

C - solid rebounder and tough defender
PF - Blaine Harrington
SF - Andrea
SG - Kapono
PG - Jose

Sixth man of the year: Jamario Moon
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
not actually

But that lineup above is predicting when AP leaves (which I hope is a false rumor). If and when, because he is getting old, we can still have Kapono step intohis spot in the starting lineup, and still be fine.

The problem with moving kapono into the starting lineup and playing him with andrea and jose is that at 1, 2, 3, that is one of the worst defensive groups inthe NBA at their respective positions. SG is the most athletic position in the league and toronto would be exposed with that lineup. Jose , kapono, bargs,would get demolished by other 1, 2, 3's in the league. If i was the raptors GM (im workin on it) this is my hypothetical situation.

Portland has two problems right now 1. pg position theyre on the market for one. 2. They have too many players and want to deal their draft pick. Once rudyfernandez joins them theyll be at 14 players. Pritchard is one of the most active gm's in the league always looking for bite.

Send tj ford to portland for their 13th (which they have been rumored to shop) and cash considerations. Portland will accept this deal because tj is anoffensive minded point guard and would complement steve blake the defensive minded point guard quite nicely. Jack is gone from what ive heard and people ivetalked to.

This would give Toronto pick 13, and 17. Boom brandon rush, and robin lopez or darrell Arthur replacing either one of those two. Plus with this volatile draftwith people moving up and down as we speak ....anyone can land at 13. Even a dj augustin type you never know. So it gives some options. Lets toughen up thisteam up a bit.

Rasho- 20 minutes a night but starting
Bosh-
bargani
Parker (if he stays if gone) Rush- hes not really a rookie when you think of it. This guy came from one of the most prestigious programs in ncaa and did allthe little things. Kansas players always come in and contribute anyways theyre great role players.
JOSSSEeee

Jamario Moon
Kapono
Robin Lopez
Rush
Humphries

This is a squad that has some potential now. Offensive assets, and defensive assets not just one. You have guys who can pass, guys who can shoot, guys who canplay defence, and typical hustley players. Plus this is a tougher team. Fire sam mitchell, get someone else.. honestly anyone hire avery johnson for all i carejust get rid of the dude. Plus dont tell me your not a little bit intersted in how a Bargani, Lopez, Bosh Frontcourt would look. Think of Lopez and Moon outthere together too. So many options this can bring defensively.

I like that squad. Theyre young , theyre fiesty and the bench vs starters game .. trust me i saw rush at a workout week and a half ago and dude will not backdown i like that squad. Plus cash considerations help..

but hey its just hypothetical. If it was up to me.. id bring in Dean Smith to coach as well but hey cant do everything lol

This just in:

Andrea Bargnani to be on the cover of NBA Live 09 (Italian Editions only),( parker/france, gasol/spain. deng/uk)

Also the italian version of the game comes with a few gameplay tweaks.

The game allows only 3's to be taken and rebounding is not allowed.

Also gamers can now take advantage of the new, drive all the way to the open basket and kick function.

Early game fouling frequency has also been racheted up 300%.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

This just in:

Andrea Bargnani to be on the cover of NBA Live 09 (Italian Editions only),( parker/france, gasol/spain. deng/uk)

Also gamers can now take advantage of the new, drive all the way to the open basket and kick function.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

C - solid rebounder and tough defender
PF - Blaine Harrington
SF - Andrea
SG - Kapono
PG - Jose
This team wouldn't even make the playoffs

Bosh-
bargani
Parker (if he stays if gone) Rush- hes not really a rookie when you think of it. This guy came from one of the most prestigious programs in ncaa and did all the little things. Kansas players always come in and contribute anyways theyre great role players.
JOSSSEeee
This team wouldn't even make the playoffs.

I dont know why but most Raps fans think its an automatic assumption that we'll make the playoffs next season. The Toronto media and Chuck Swirsky dontwant you to know that we were the worst team heading into the playoffs this season. The team was on a free fall since January even though everyone washealthy.

Boston, Detroit, Orlando, Cleveland are 100% locks to make the playoffs. Then you have Washington, Philly, Atlanta, Toronto, New Jersey, Chicago, Miami,Charlotte, NYK fighting for the final 4 spots. I think the only 2 hopeless Eastern conference teams going into next season are the Pacers and Bucks.

^charlotte is definitely hopeless doesnt matter if larry brown is coaching. And i did not say by all means that team would make the playoffs. But that teamwould have the pieces in place for a playoff team, or a team that could grow into one with the firing of sam mitchell and some legitimite signings.

I think your underestimating how badly tj ford coming back altered the chemistry of the team, Jose was used to major minutes all of a sudden he didnt. Theres alot of factors involved. Im not even a Raptors fan but i can tell you that the raptors will make the playoffs if they draft properly and use ford as bait toget somebody useful. The East is not as straight forward as you make it sound. Yes the first four are pretty much locks, but so many variables come into play.What if rashard lewis gets injured for orlando, what if hedo is not super hedo like he was last year. Detroit? what if theyre broken up and the new team isntas good as previous. Im comfortable with the raptors going against philly atlanta, washington, new jersey chicago... theyre all the same group, tier 2 eastteams. But nyk and charlotte no chance

Bosh-
bargani
Parker (if he stays if gone) Rush- hes not really a rookie when you think of it. This guy came from one of the most prestigious programs in ncaa and did allthe little things. Kansas players always come in and contribute anyways theyre great role players.
JOSSSEeee

Jamario Moon
Kapono
Robin Lopez
Rush
Humphries

Theres a lot of inexperience on that squad but, whose to say they dont click together and be a cohesive unit. Rasho is not that bad a center, guy is prettydecent on defense he has decent post-up game when needed. He will need to be complimented with a fellow C though. I'm lovin the combo ofbosh/parker/jose/bargnani ... with the exception of bargnani the other three are all good defenders and can play the offense. Rotate in Moon, Kapono andyou've got a half-decent bench. Moon is awesome energy off the bench, good shot blocker, provides that spark on breakaways etc. Kapono just needs to betterdrve to the basket so he can step away from being such a one dimensional player and that'll also help him create more open looks when guys expect him todrive. Humphries....that dude.... just needs to play TOUGH. Hes got the physique, the size.. he needs to bang and play hard-nosed. With the proper pieces fromthe draft, and inconsistencies improved upon.. this squad can make the playoffs in the east. I got faith!

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

This just in:

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Clutch FTW

Anyway, Carlos I see what your saying... but realistically how much better can the team be? With the players we have, how can we make moves that will improvethe team to get to the top 4 in the conference like two years ago?

I definately agree, saying we are not a lock for playoffs. But what moves can be made to improve the team then?

^ford- for a veteran or draft pick

^ draft wisely with th 17th pick

i dont know why people forget that when this team is rolling and no chemistry issues with guys like ford, w.e they beat the celtics when they were at home...dont forget that. Squad aint even that far off from top 4 like people think. Its more the coach that ruins things

Back
Top Bottom