Toys "R" Us Christmas catalog from 1996...

i got my first game console(gamecube) when i was like in the 4th grade, i was pretty embarrassed and I lied to all my friends I had a N64 
mean.gif

This is right around the time I got my first job so seeing these prices isn't really all that shocking. What makes me feel in awe of the sacrifices my parents made for me and my siblings when we were growing up is finding catalogs/price lists for early 80s computer stuff. Dropping almost a thousand for a HDD back in the 80s was crazy.

I never chipped my ps1, but a friend of mine that had put in perspective a few years later when he'd gotten out of hacking his machines to run backups. "You don't appreciate the games as much when you're constantly downloading new ones"

Anyone remember how much CD-Rs cost back then? I remember my freshman year at college I got my RA to burn a disc for me since I didn't have a burner in my PC yet and he charged me 5 bucks PLUS I had to provide the CD-R.

Man, I was hype as **** for a N64 when it came out. However, Mom & Dad hit me with the.. "We're not getting you that for Christmas" They didn't have any reasoning either. I was livid, man. Honestly, it was the only thing I wanted and I knew they were just gonna get me a bunch of stuff I wouldn't mind, but didn't want. Did you ever have that one thing you wanted as a child that was the prized gift? This was it for me.

5 days before Christmas it hits me that I'll never have the N64. I was feeling like :smh:

But then me and Moms hit Taco Bell where they were giving out these bad boys..

View media item 176229

Long story shot I WON and my parents were heeeeeated :rofl:

Still have the N64 to this day. I was never more hyped then that moment I saw that winning coin. A long winter break of Mario Kart, Automobili Lamborghini, & Goldeneye was had by this 6th grader. Greatest winter break of my life. :pimp:

Last edited:
Back in the day you didn't have a rack of games, you only had like 2-4 and was good. Or your boys had the games you didn't.

+ Blockbuster back then was awesome. Rent a game for the weekend for like 3 bucks.

:pimp: I remember this catalog from when I was 10 years old...

Those expensive N64 prices were the reason I had to wait to get mine. But when I did, I had QB Club '98 and Extreme G i think :lol: :pimp:

street fighter alpha 2 was on snes?

Yup, that was the only game I got that year for my SNES too :lol:...

Damn, I dunno about you guys, but I enjoy looking at old catalogs... :wow:  :lol:

But man, those prices... chipped-PS1 FTW.

I just fund my old Eastbay, Footlocker, and Footaction books from '97-'03 the other day...

Old catalogs bring back so many memories... Good for referencing as well...

I had a pS1 and a N64. Mom dukes spoiled me. :pimp:

Ps1 broke tho, took it to funcoland and those bastards said they lost it and had no record of it. Mom's went off on them until they gave me a brand new system with games. :lol:

I remember this. I still have my Super Nintendo and it still works. I remember you used to have to blow in the cartridge when the game was acting up.
I still do that with my Xbox when games are acting up. Before I clean a disk I always blow the disk carriage. My nephew is always like why do u do that? I'm like because that's what we used to do back in the day when a game wasn't working. There were no video games allowed in my house so I didn't get my first console till my 13th bday in 2000. I only got games for Xmas and my bday after that.

Last edited:
$60-70 for an SNES game... I'm gonna hug my mom later for buying me a few SNES games when I was a kid.

I remember stealing money from my job JUST to buy one Saturn game (nights?) lmao

The good ole days. Not having to worry about yambs yet, no stupid massacres or zombies in the world, Jordan.

That N64 Controller was absolutely perfect for The Legend of Zelda.
pimp.gif

**** you water temple.

This is right around the time I got my first job so seeing these prices isn't really all that shocking. What makes me feel in awe of the sacrifices my parents made for me and my siblings when we were growing up is finding catalogs/price lists for early 80s computer stuff. Dropping almost a thousand for a HDD back in the 80s was crazy.

I never chipped my ps1, but a friend of mine that had put in perspective a few years later when he'd gotten out of hacking his machines to run backups. "You don't appreciate the games as much when you're constantly downloading new ones"

Anyone remember how much CD-Rs cost back then? I remember my freshman year at college I got my RA to burn a disc for me since I didn't have a burner in my PC yet and he charged me 5 bucks PLUS I had to provide the CD-R.

bruh i remember in hs getting rich off selling burned (bootleg) cd's & selling candy ...came home with $300-400 daily ...then the price of cd-r's dropped & everyone wanted in on my hustle :smh:

I had a pS1 and a N64. Mom dukes spoiled me. :pimp:

Ps1 broke tho, took it to funcoland and those bastards said they lost it and had no record of it. Mom's went off on them until they gave me a brand new system with games. :lol:

funcoland=gamestop

greedy,unhelpful, stingy bastards

just this week i bought a ps3,extra controller, a game & hdmi cord a lil over $420 i asked for one of the free items(batman soft case i wanted to get for my lil nephew) fam told me he couldnt give out the give away stuff :rolleyes like wtf i just spent over $400 i cant have a $1 batman case that you got for free in bulk TO GIVE OUT :smh:

he said if you buy the lego batman ps3 instead of the drakes uncharted ps3 ill give you it ..told dude to fu k off

Last edited:
I feel you.
The guy who got the new Eastbay first was the coolest kid in school.
"Can I see it next?"
"Nah, brah."

:lol: :pimp: Maaaaaaaaaaaan YES!

:lol: We weren't stingy with it though.

Surprisingly cats would return the mag to you in the same condition (MOST of the time).

Back
Top Bottom