Trinidad James said "The South runs NY" while in NYC..

and as far as what NYC radio looks like this is Hot 97's playlist

V.S.O.P K.MICHELLE
2 HOLD ON WE'RE GOING HOME - DRAKE
3 HOLY GRAIL JAY-Z F/JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
4 STANDING ON THE SUN BEYONCE
5 BEWARE BIG SEAN F/LIL WAYNE & JHENE AIKO
6 GET LUCKY DAFT PUNK
7 ROYALS LORDE
8 POWER TRIP J COLE F/ MIGUEL
9 F*CKWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT JAY-Z
10 TAKE BACK THE NIGHT JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
11 TREASURE BRUNO MARS
12 THE MONSTER EMINEM F/RIHANNA
13 POUND CAKE DRAKE F/JAYZ
14 FINE CHINA CHRIS BROWN
15 LOVE MORE CHRIS BROWN F/NICKI MINAJ
16 CAN'T HOLD US MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS
17 OWN IT MACK WILDS
18 SWEET SERENADE PUSHA T F/CHRIS BROWN
19 STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM DRAKE
20 COLLARD GREENS SCHOOLBOY Q F/KENDRICK LAMAR
21 CROOKED SMILE J. COLE F/TLC
22 NO NEW FRIENDS DJ KHALED F/ DRAKE, RICK ROSS, & LIL WAYNE
23 SHE KNOWS J.COLE
24 TOM FORD JAY-Z
25 PRIMETIME JANELLE MONAE F/MIGUEL
26 BOUND 2 KANYE WEST
27 DIFFERENTOLOGY BUNJI GARLIN
28 FASHION KILLA A$AP ROCKY
29 PART II (ON THE RUN) JAY-Z F/BEYONCE
30 WHITE WALLS MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS

If anything the phasing out of hiphop in general is happening and we worried about certain regions.

nyc rap is dead... only dope new artists yall got is bronson and asap... and bronson music aint for radio... everybody wanna be battle rappers or make southern type music... cant be mad at no one but yourselves... yall wanted it to be "all about bars" when this is music... its never been all about bars unless u in a battle or a cypher and those dont matter in mainstream... until yall learn how to make songs that people actually wanna hear yall gone be stuck

the statement is true. we made it so by feeling the need to assimilate into southern trends to get hot.

i'd say since the soul sound died out, and crunk took over, the south's reign has only gotten stronger with each new sound (crunk/snap, trap, etc.)

but for trinidad to say this is funny to me. you never hear any big southern rappers downtalk nyc in public.

here we have this guy, who's on his last seconds of his 15 mins, talking this. to be honest, he's only able to be relevant because he's from the south.

this is like a bench player bragging about rings his team earned.

another argument that nobody seems to be bringing up is that NY doesn't have to bring a 90's sound to be NY.... That is EXACTLY what killed us in the first place.... that 2004-2007 era was the beginning of the end because we had cats like

Pap, Millz, Writer, Saigon etc etc who were forced to fit a certain style that wasn't fresh or new and quite frankly they couldn't replicate the same feel as those classic records. When you box a new artist into classic NYC sound, you are forcing them to live up to the expectations of some of the best hip hop albums EVER it's unfair to them.

Especially the new kids who aren't gonna bring that sound because that NY sound that everyone is asking for was created by the streets.... Those streets are day & night compared to how they were 20 years ago... new generation have new experiences and that's gonna sow through there music.

and for the last time if you have sat through any A$AP mob project i don't see where this they sound southern comes from unless your still basing your opinion off of purple swag and the fact they drink lean.

And even with that sound, that houston slowed down **** ain't wats hot coming out the south it's trap beats and autotune.
+1

and for the last time if you have sat through any A$AP mob project i don't see where this they sound southern comes from unless your still basing your opinion off of purple swag and the fact they drink lean.

And even with that sound, that houston slowed down **** ain't wats hot coming out the south it's trap beats and autotune.
Tha nerve of you Pleighboi
laugh.gif

Maybe its the fact that the word trill has been dragged through the mud by all of NYC including and mainly ASAP mob (Which is a Texas originated word...but I guess our culture aint hot as you said
eyes.gif
)....

Or maybe its the fact that I've heard more of the East Coast making songs about lean and screwing their vocals more than I have anyone in Texas do it these days....

Or perhaps its the fact that your biggest artist on the East Coast (HOV) still looks to Pimp C from the grave to solidify his own statements (Example: The "**** with me you know I got it" Intro)

And as far as the trap sound goes you can credit that to Texas or "houston" as you said as well cause to be honest the real trap music is made by folks really crossing the border.

Check the map. Then tell me what ain't hot.

If he said that in New York, I'm not sure how he was even able to finish the rest of that statement let alone the rest of his show without getting booed or tossed off the stage.  You gotta make these dudes respect your home, if not things like this happen. 
Nothing ever happens. They came through and kicked buildings down and made a song called "New York, New York"... Nothing happened to Snoop or Dogg Pound
I think it started slightly before that, but I do agree with you.  I guess folks can say that was when visitors to New York got too comfortable about New York and just decided to do whatever they wanted to.  As seen in this video of Trinidad James. 

ASAP Mob's whole sound is from 3-6 and Houston. It's too blatant to not see. :lol:

I took it as sort of a backhanded compliment.

And maybe he was speaking the truth but you don't do that in the state you're dissing. I know he's trying to be bold or whatever but nah there's just some stuff you don't do. Especially being in his situation, like who are you? you had one hit, you're not the voice of the south...

So what's NY rappers gonna do about it? I don't even mean nothing physical but musically. TJ was right about new NY rappers. I don't even like dudes music that much but Troy Ave is one of the few that doesn't want to jump on the trends and follow what's hot. I can respect him for sticking to a NY sound.

The south pulled the rug from up under the West and East coast, while that supposed beef was going on south was just plotting. Then when biggie and pac died they just stepped in like we taking this **** over. I think no region has hiphop locked down just a free-for-all now.

I don't remember it happening that fast. Jay, X, Nas, took over after Big and Pac. Then later 50. The south started taking over around 04 and 05.

Last edited:
Nothing ever happens. They came through and kicked buildings down and made a song called "New York, New York"... Nothing happened to Snoop or Dogg Pound

You realize they had gun shots at the video shoot right?

:lol: Gunshots!!!!

Stop denying the obvious.....NYC didn't do a damn thing to Snoop and the Dogg Pound. Nothing. Ever.

There were gunshots though. :lol:

and as far as what NYC radio looks like this is Hot 97's playlist

V.S.O.P K.MICHELLE
2 HOLD ON WE'RE GOING HOME - DRAKE
3 HOLY GRAIL JAY-Z F/JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
4 STANDING ON THE SUN BEYONCE
5 BEWARE BIG SEAN F/LIL WAYNE & JHENE AIKO
6 GET LUCKY DAFT PUNK
7 ROYALS LORDE
8 POWER TRIP J COLE F/ MIGUEL
9 F*CKWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT JAY-Z
10 TAKE BACK THE NIGHT JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
11 TREASURE BRUNO MARS
12 THE MONSTER EMINEM F/RIHANNA
13 POUND CAKE DRAKE F/JAYZ
14 FINE CHINA CHRIS BROWN
15 LOVE MORE CHRIS BROWN F/NICKI MINAJ
16 CAN'T HOLD US MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS
17 OWN IT MACK WILDS
18 SWEET SERENADE PUSHA T F/CHRIS BROWN
19 STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM DRAKE
20 COLLARD GREENS SCHOOLBOY Q F/KENDRICK LAMAR
21 CROOKED SMILE J. COLE F/TLC
22 NO NEW FRIENDS DJ KHALED F/ DRAKE, RICK ROSS, & LIL WAYNE
23 SHE KNOWS J.COLE
24 TOM FORD JAY-Z
25 PRIMETIME JANELLE MONAE F/MIGUEL
26 BOUND 2 KANYE WEST
27 DIFFERENTOLOGY BUNJI GARLIN
28 FASHION KILLA A$AP ROCKY
29 PART II (ON THE RUN) JAY-Z F/BEYONCE
30 WHITE WALLS MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS

If anything the phasing out of hiphop in general is happening and we worried about certain regions.

Pretty sure 23-25 of these 30 songs are just like a Houston playlist. I don't even blame the rappers, I blame the record companies and execs forcing things on consumers. People can act like consumers 100% choose the music they listen to, but if you're beat over the head 49 times a day with the same stuff(through radio, tv, Internet advertising, etc), you're bound to like or at least tolerate the garbage you're being fed.

I hope maino white washes this clown
I doubt it...its a loss for Maino if he actually does.

You gone samck the dude with worse raps and who can get 20 g's a show in your city when you can't...Ok
eyes.gif

It would just put his salt on display for the masses.

Pretty sure 23-25 of these 30 songs are just like a Houston playlist. I don't even blame the rappers, I blame the record companies and execs forcing things on consumers. People can act like consumers 100% choose the music they listen to, but if you're beat over the head 49 times a day with the same stuff(through radio, tv, Internet advertising, etc), you're bound to like or at least tolerate the garbage you're being fed.
mean.gif
 Nah man...people have power and don't realize it.

Peep game:

Ain't the labels fault or the radios fault. They only play what people respond to...

Tha nerve of you Pleighboi :lol: ...

Maybe its the fact that the word trill has been dragged through the mud by all of NYC including and mainly ASAP mob (Which is a Texas originated word...but I guess our culture aint hot as you said :rolleyes )....

Or maybe its the fact that I've heard more of the East Coast making songs about lean and screwing their vocals more than I have anyone in Texas do it these days....

Or perhaps its the fact that your biggest artist on the East Coast (HOV) still looks to Pimp C from the grave to solidify his own statements (Example: The "**** with me you know I got it" Intro)

And as far as the trap sound goes you can credit that to Texas or "houston" as you said as well cause to be honest the real trap music is made by folks really crossing the border.

Check the map. Then tell me what ain't hot.

Fam pull your panties up... There is nobody in mainstream rap winning with a houston sound.. when people talking about the south being hot they aren't in the least bit talking about houston music keep it real with yourself.

They are basing that statement purely off that ATL trap music that has been floating for a few years.

New York rap is my favorite genre of Hip Hop, I'm just wondering why do people gravitate towards southern artist the most?? Easy flows? Simplified lyrics?? or the way they just say there rhymes like they have flavor to them I.E luda, TIP, 2chainz, Jeezy, Outkast, Goodie Mob, UGK, Weezy???

Fam pull your panties up... There is nobody in mainstream rap winning with a houston sound.. when people talking about the south being hot they aren't in the least bit talking about houston music keep it real with yourself.

They are basing that statement purely off that ATL trap music that has been floating for a few years.

You sound mad. A$AP camp leaching off that Houston sound pimp. Face it.

The thing is that people keep looking at radip plays an a real indicator of what's hot..... when that is skewed

2 Chainz, Big sean, future etc etc are on every other track..... Pusha T outsold them all, Cole is always considered to be cool for some reason yet he keeps destroying cats #'s

all that radio and club **** works both ways because if your not putting out REAL quality music and a sound people can't easily replicate than you can be replaced in a heartbeat. Hence Rich Homie putting out records that sound IDENTICAL to future records (and i'm a huge Future fan). The radio #'s may not show it but quality music is starting to slowly take over again.

their are to many outlets and to many other ways to get your music out nowadays. due to this artist are slowly building up solid fanbases and once those are established radio will come running.

New York rap is my favorite genre of Hip Hop, I'm just wondering why do people gravitate towards southern artist the most?? Easy flows? Simplified lyrics?? or the way they just say there rhymes like they have flavor to them I.E luda, TIP, 2chainz, Jeezy, Outkast, Goodie Mob, UGK, Weezy???

So disrespectful. But start by asking your NY brethren who flock to the shows the artist you named headline. Goodie Mob? Kast? UGK? Clown

So disrespectful. But start by asking your NY brethren who flock to the shows the artist you named headline. Goodie Mob? Kast? UGK? Clown
Maybe u thought I was clowning the south??? not at all ,all southern artist that I list are great in there own right. So I don't y ur pulling the internet tough guy act.

Uhhhh.....ASAP Mob????

mean.gif
.....I dunno if your srs or not at this point.

If you'd listen I'm trying to tell you where "Trap Music" came from in the first place.

Beside that your reaching...I never said anyone was on top or losing at anything. I do know that when "Been Trill" is being sold in Pac Sun and Bun or Pimps estate aint getting a check we got a problem.

FYI boutiques out here don't sell that brand and I see where the fashion shows for the line are most prominent.

Its bigger than the music...its about the culture. Check your children out there lol..

Last edited:
Maybe u thought I was clowning the south??? not at all ,all southern artist that I list are great in there own right. So I don't y ur pulling the internet tough guy act.

"or the way they just say there rhymes like they have flavor to them I.E luda, TIP, 2chainz, Jeezy, Outkast, Goodie Mob, UGK, Weezy???"

Your words, not mine. That statement would not lead me to interpret you as deeming them 'great in their own right', but whatever's clever fam.

Back
Top Bottom