Trinidad James said "The South runs NY" while in NYC..

I'm not saying that they weren't influenced i am saying that the reason their "Hot" isn't due to them having a houston influence. also being influenced by Houston and having a Houston sound are two completely different things.

Yes they incorporate minor things from older southern rap, they also incorporate old NY rap, They also incorporate their own style and swag etc etc. so for someone to say that their only hot because they sound like southern cats is completely off basis considering they don't sound like anything that's "Hot" in the south right now and still have a very strong NY influence also.

I just see that as trying to find a way to discredit their success and make it a beneficiary of the south. If we were to play the game like that This ENTIRE era of big southern acts (T.I, Wayne, Jeezy, Ross) would be discredited for taking several aspects from NYC music. It's clear as day they were influenced but i'm not going around saying their not from the south when their music, style, slang is representive of the south for the most part.

Nothing ever happens. They came through and kicked buildings down and made a song called "New York, New York"... Nothing happened to Snoop or Dogg Pound

that new Brooklyn rapper Troy Ave just spoke on this recently too. crazy...

My NY people...Yes we taking L's... just be honest :lol:

The Dogg Pound almost got clapped in Red Hook. As far as people not doing anything, this is an industry event filled with tastemakers. No one was running up on the stage so stop it.

If the Houston sound wasn't hot when they took it then why even take it?

Oh...In order to make it hot again becuase it was missing. Its simple math at this point.

Like I said...you'll never agree cause we have two perspectives on it. I'm not looking for an agreement. Although you can't sit up here and act like Texas isn't running through the viens of the whole mob.

If Pimp was alive lets be real....they would not get booked in Texas without a issue. Hell they can't even do a Texas tour NOW without at least getting swung on.

They bit and its ok...one of the hottest new groups from NY in 2013 ran with something Texas coined 10-15 years ago.

Boys in NY Spitting Country Rap Tunes and in 94 we couldn't get a seat at the table.

Aint this a *****

Last edited:
If the Houston sound wasn't hot when they took it then why even take it?

Oh...In order to make it hot again becuase it was missing. Its simple math at this point.

Like I said...you'll never agree cause we have two perspectives on it. I'm not looking for an agreement. Although you can't sit up here and act like Texas isn't running through the viens of the whole mob.

If Pimp was alive lets be real....they would not get booked in Texas without a issue. Hell they can't even do a Texas tour NOW without at least getting swung on.

They bit and its ok...one of the hottest new groups from NY in 2013 ran with something Texas coined 10-15 years ago.

Boys in NY Spitting Country Rap Tunes and in 94 we couldn't get a seat at the table.

Aint this a *****

Repped

nyc rap is dead... only dope new artists yall got is bronson and asap... and bronson music aint for radio... everybody wanna be battle rappers or make southern type music... cant be mad at no one but yourselves... yall wanted it to be "all about bars" when this is music... its never been all about bars unless u in a battle or a cypher and those dont matter in mainstream... until yall learn how to make songs that people actually wanna hear yall gone be stuck
Yep . . . the problem lies in production . . . ****** don't **** with Harry Fraud enough . . . he and French had that updated Dipset sound on LOCK, but obviously French isn't that lyrical and that's okay because French is good for what he is . . .

If someone can get with Harry Fraud and get those updated Dipset sounding instrumentals, something that sounds NY, isn't southern, and can still get the clubs and parties to jump . . . then that will be the new NY guy . . . everyone is either ONLY about the bars or ONLY about "turn up"

Troy Ave . . . has potential . . .

Action Bronson . . . don't think he gives a ****, he should keep doing what he's doing

Smoke DZA . . . has potential but I also think he falls under the same category as Bronson to a degree

Badass . . . Stuck on the played out boom bap sound . . . has potential if he diversifies the production

ASAP Rocky is the closest but of course he sounds like a southern artist a lot of the time . . . we'll see if he switches it up next album/project

SIDENOTE: ASAP gotta be looking at James funny because how can you slick diss someone you just came off tour with

The irony is that when you think about who would be at a Trinidad James concert, how can you expect them to have done something? Dudes making it sound like he was at the Tunnel in 96, flexing lol foh.

Anyways, lol @ the south running anything now. As someone mentioned in here at this point in time there's really an amalgam of styles coming from a lot of new artists in every region. You've got rappers from the Chi that sound like they're from the South. Rappers from the West that sound like they're from the East. Rappers from the South that sound like they're from up north. Etc etc. We live in the digital age man. The generation coming up now was raised on music from all over the map. How can you not expect for there to be acts like A$AP Rocky, who is clearly influenced by music from all over. The South still concerned with trying to flex their top of the game status but the reality is no one region is running anything anymore. Things have become more universal. Anybody from anywhere with any sound can get on and prosper. No one cares as long as the music is provocative.

Well put. Rap has morphed in to one.

Drake and Em are actually on top

Most south artist can sell a song, but not an album

You can tell how influenced people are by twitter and the internet, when people start saying terms like ratchet and turn up. Slang used to be regional.

If you wanna see actual biting and culture harnessing, try Lil' Wa_n_ soul lifting Dipset's style then gradually distancing himself from them.
roll.gif

Why do you always spell his name like that

It did just start getting play in 2008. They could of made all the moves they wanted to in the 90s. who cares if its still local. It just got play in 2008 though IMO

What just got play in 08? If you're saying that Southern Rap just got play in 08 you're so wrong my man.

Look at the Cash Money Records' distribution deal and tell me the majors didn't see how the south was caking INDEPENDENTLY way earlier than 2008 and decided to jump in the mix. And before Cash Money, there was No Limit. No Limit actually forced Universal's hand, so to speak because you really think they wanted to break that much bread with Baby and Slim? They had no choice because they saw what Master P did and knew they would be missing out on millions if they didn't make that deal. Someone was going to capitalize on distribution if it wasn't Universal.

Going back to Master P and I'm talking 94 to the early 2000's, P had a MAJOR hand in uniting the south under one banner because he was signing/featuring artist from the whole region, not just New Orleans. He had UGK on so many tracks you would've thought that they were part of the crew.

Add to that Hypnotize, Suave House, Big Boy Records, Slip N Slide, etc. and the south didn't just get play in 08. Hell 2 Live Crew had the country at a standstill way before the 2000s and where are they from? NY was definitely clowning our music, but guess what, they were also hearing it.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say, but homie, the South took a hold in the 90s and still hasn't relinquished its grasp of hip hop. Even Kendrick Lamar/Top Dawg admit their biggest influence was Cash Money records. Go dig up Kendrick Lamar's list of most influential albums and look up some Top Dawg interviews (not the label, the man who runs the label) and tell me the South just got on in 08...

I didn't even mention Organized Noise. How many platinum albums did Outkast drop again? :smh:

I know dudes hate to hear it, but the South has been running things. And dudes try to lump our music under one category, but nah... there are so many different sub-genres in the South. Country Rap Tunes, Trap Music, Gangster, Lyrical (hip hop), Chill, Crunk, Dance, Booty Shake, Screwed, Bounce, and the list goes on.

Last edited:
When I think about it HCP, No Limit, and Cash Money from 1996-2005 probably have more platinum and gold albums than the top 3 NYC based labels of that time.

Right? Dudes stay trying to downplay the South's influence on rap and hip hop as if "Lean With It Rock With It" is all that we contributed as a region. :lol: :smh:

And I grew up on BDP, Rob Base, ATCQ, De La Soul, Wu-Tang, Nas, Mobb Deep, NWA, Ice Cube, Snoop, Dogg Pound, Dr. Dre, Bone Thugs, Doe or Die, etc. I've never downed any other regions. I show love to good music period. But dudes really try to play the South and I hate that ****. Give props where props are due.

Last edited:
Like CHARLAMANGE said NY artist need to stop trying to bring the old NYC sound back & make a new NYC sound type sound....NYC been fell off years ago & too many NYC rappers & producers are cock riding south rappers IE. FABOLOUS,SWIZZ BEATS,ASAP MOB,FRENCH MONTANA etc...Instead of trying to creat a new NYC sound they wanna copy the SOUTH sound..smfh

Last edited:
I hope NY dudes just laugh at this clown and not take him seriously.

these dudes come to ny and suck in concert, say things like this and end up commenting again like "ny dont know how to party, they aint turnt up". We gotta stop supporting these wack ****** b. They play too much

Srs outside of rocky n french everything in my stays in ny. ASAP ferg gets 0 spins in the midwest, unless u are into the Internet or a hipster u don't know who he is. Troy Ave I mean cmon he's as local as it gets at this second right now. Bronson doesn't make radio tracks. But I mess wit ferg don't get it twisted none of my boys know who he is tho.

Thanks Trinidad. That Kendrick control wave is over, thanks for bringing something new to about. And Im extra thankful it has nothing to do with your horrid music.

It don't really matter about TJ music to me he got a right to his opinion & his opinion is a fact when it boils down to it..The truth hurts I grew up on NYC hiphop I had to be the biggest WU TANG fan comin up & I'm from The N.O... I actually miss NYC music really I miss the days when hiphop was regional cause Artist back then painted a picture of how they where living & how it really was in they city they where from..Now this game is all about turning up & strip clubs...smfh

Back
Top Bottom