Twitter fingers Vol shaq vs mcgee

90s/early2000s NBA >

...except kyrie irving. dude is something else.
Early 2000s basketball was HORRIBLE from a pure basketball standpoint. Just all around bad
laugh.gif

Some of my favorite players balled during that era though
pimp.gif

Players more competitive too.
how???

03 pistons post season was legit in most peoples eyes

I mean it's bad basketball now. Defense throughout the league is bad. The players that do wanna play defense can't be physical at all now. The officiating is beyond soft now. Dudes can barely trash talk now. The flopping.

Late 90's - mid 2000's NBA was great to me, I ain't have no complaints. It's still great except a few things.
Defensive schemes are the best they've ever been. The good teams defend the pick and roll amazingly. Ice, lock and trail, switching, different hedging, bigs that can defend the perimter, forwards that can protect the rim etc. Yes, you can't be more physical on the perimter.....however....good defense and rotations are still being played.

who?

that's false.
Defense isn't better now.
View media item 2348846
Look at what John Wall has to say about that. Basketball is basketball. It ain't technology. Style of play change in different eras.

I posted this in the nba thread awhile back and I still hear this defense is better nowadays and it's just not true.

Which is why we seeing super inflated stats nowadays. Look at the Damn all star games nowadays. 00s basketball>todays ball. Not that today is bad. It's not, it's just different. I appreciate all the eras I've been able to see.

Last edited:

I mean it's bad basketball now. Defense throughout the league is bad. The players that do wanna play defense can't be physical at all now. The officiating is beyond soft now. Dudes can barely trash talk now. The flopping.

Late 90's - mid 2000's NBA was great to me, I ain't have no complaints. It's still great except a few things.

Defensive schemes are the best they've ever been. The good teams defend the pick and roll amazingly. Ice, lock and trail, switching, different hedging, bigs that can defend the perimter, forwards that can protect the rim etc. Yes, you can't be more physical on the perimter.....however....good defense and rotations are still being played.

who?

draymond is pretty good, tristan thompson has moments, there were times ibaka held his own on switches, joakim when he was healthy a few years ago was good when he had to switch out there, there are probably more but those come to mind...

that's false.
Defense isn't better now.
View media item 2348846
Look at what John Wall has to say about that. Basketball is basketball. It ain't technology. Style of play change in different eras.

I posted this in the nba thread awhile back and I still hear this defense is better nowadays and it's just not true.

Which is why we seeing super inflated stats nowadays. Look at the Damn all star games nowadays. 00s basketball>todays ball. Not that today is bad. It's not, it's just different. I appreciate all the eras I've been able to see.

basketball is different in different eras, when people say today's defense is better i think it is referring to the sophistication of schemes/strategies employed in today's game...there is

Wavy is coked out.

Isaiah Thomas is having trouble 90-05 finishing on these bigs.

He'll still be good but it would be harder.

who?
draymond is pretty good, tristan thompson has moments, there were times ibaka held his own on switches, joakim when he was healthy a few years ago was good when he had to switch out there, there are probably more but those come to mind...
draymond is 6'7 bro, he a legit 3, definitely not a big

everything else is weak bro, havin "moments" dog?

im not tryna pick on u, but "bigs that can defend the perimeter" is definitely not a strong aspect of todays game, its not even a development at all

im not tryna pick on u, but "bigs that can defend the perimeter" is definitely not a strong aspect of todays game, its not even a development at all

AD, KD, Dray, DJ, Goubert, TT, Bosh when healthy etc etc. I'm not talking about Bigs defending wings and guards for the whole game....I'm referring to them being able to hold their own on switches, hedge and return etc. When you have Bigs that can do that....it makes your defense a lot better...than them just camping the paint on p&r defense. Gives you options on how to defend the P&R in a league where the 3pt line is lethal, and actually used.

basketball is different in different eras, when people say today's defense is better i think it is referring to the sophistication of schemes/strategies employed in today's game...there is

Precisely

who?

[thread="660004"] [/thread]

draymond, whatever his height, plays the 4 for the dubs though, and that is a legit aspect of the game (teams playing smaller) that has changed or at least become more pervasive...and i'm not saying bigs defending the perimeter is 'a strong aspect of today's game' no team would literally matchup their big with perimeter players on regular (unless they are playing tony allen) but having a big that is capable of holding there own a switch it gives that team more ability to defend close without just giving ground or having to scramble, and if you look at the guys playing & getting drafted at the 4 & 5 in recent years, they are much more mobile and more comfortable playing the perimeter on both defensively & on offense so it would seem to definitely be a development, no?

draymond, whatever his height, plays the 4 for the dubs though, and that is a legit aspect of the game (teams playing smaller) that has changed or at least become more pervasive...and i'm not saying bigs defending the perimeter is 'a strong aspect of today's game' no team would literally matchup their big with perimeter players on regular (unless they are playing tony allen) but having a big that is capable of holding there own a switch it gives that team more ability to defend close without just giving ground or having to scramble, and if you look at the guys playing & getting drafted at the 4 & 5 in recent years, they are much more mobile and more comfortable playing the perimeter on both defensively & on offense so it would seem to definitely be a development, no?

Thank you!

Somebody that "gets it" :lol:

Wiz have had some bad teams but them $10 tickets were always a good look when you needed **** to do.

wonder if the brooklyn nets are that cheap now :nerd: :nerd:
Wouldn't watch them on tv or free :lol: . They remind me of the 94-96 Nets teams, just awful.

An arena with a decent opposing team is a good time though, especially if it's cheap. If it's somehow a good game, you'll be entertained.

ha that's what i was thinking. i could see lebron and kyrie at the garden for a premium or i can go to brooklyn and watch a blowout for less. i mean i don't want to watch a blowout, but i feel some type of way about the knicks right now...or these days rather and james dolan can ____.

BRING LINSANITY BACK TO MSG.

Wiz have had some bad teams but them $10 tickets were always a good look when you needed **** to do.

wonder if the brooklyn nets are that cheap now :nerd: :nerd:
Wouldn't watch them on tv or free :lol: . They remind me of the 94-96 Nets teams, just awful.

An arena with a decent opposing team is a good time though, especially if it's cheap. If it's somehow a good game, you'll be entertained.

ha that's what i was thinking. i could see lebron and kyrie at the garden for a premium or i can go to brooklyn and watch a blowout for less. i mean i don't want to watch a blowout, but i feel some type of way about the knicks right now...or these days rather and james dolan can ____.

BRING LINSANITY BACK TO MSG.
Lin cashing checks and rocking fits on the bench at the Barclays center :lol:

Post Jordan(I know mike was on the wizards) and before Bron/melo/wade. That NBA was raw and dope as hell to me. I get what homeboy is saying though. But that short time was gold.

I used to be like 12/13.......watching a 40 year old MJ play on CSN locally, with the likes of:

-Courtney Alexander
-Jahadi White
-Popeye jones
-Chris Whitney
-Ty Lue
-Juan Dixon
-Steve Blake
-Etan Thomas
-RIP Hamilton
-Christian Laetner
-Cherokee Parks
-Kwame Brown
-Tyrone Nesby
-Jarvis Hayes

This is all off the top of my head. What a time man....what a time :lol:.

This was the rotation. But **** was terrible and FUN as hell to watch :lol:.

I always thought it was common knowledge that 99-03 NBA was pretty cheeks :lol: maybe even as late as 2005

Kings trailblazers Lakers Magic 76ers Celtics Nets Spurs Pistons all had good teams in that era.

Kings trailblazers Lakers Magic 76ers Celtics Nets Spurs Pistons all had good teams in that era.

Gotta be trollin.....as usual.

ESPECIALLY the Tmac Magic :lol:

They were terribly constructed. Tmac got the most outta Pat Garrity and Andrew Deqlerq :rofl:

Last edited:
Gotta be trollin.....as usual.

ESPECIALLY the Tmac Magic :lol:

They were terrible
West had some dope squads and it was far from all iso ball.. East was hella buns from Jordan retirement till 04 pistons showed up. Not one great squad in the east from 99 till 04.

Last edited:
I always thought it was common knowledge that 99-03 NBA was pretty cheeks :lol: maybe even as late as 2005

Same here. Guess not

West had some dope squads and it was far from all iso ball.. East was hella buns from Jordan retirement till 04 pistons showed up. Not one great squad in the east from 99 till 04.

Those early 00s Pacers were good too.

West had Portland, LAL, Sac, SAS and Dallas.

But overall....some bad teams were outchea. Doc Rivers deserved the hell outa that COY he got in '02. Tmac deserved every once of credit he got.

Damn that was a poor roster :lol:.

AD, KD, Dray, DJ, Goubert, TT, Bosh when healthy etc etc. I'm not talking about Bigs defending wings and guards for the whole game....I'm referring to them being able to hold their own on switches, hedge and return etc. When you have Bigs that can do that....it makes your defense a lot better...than them just camping the paint on p&r defense. Gives you options on how to defend the P&R in a league where the 3pt line is lethal, and actually used.
i didnt say anything about matchin up for a whole game in my comment or primarily guardin the wing, like why would you even try and twist my **** on some dumb ****?

what is "holdin their own" to u? the 1 aint even lookin for an opportunity to slice on the switch, 8/10 its a lob or a delayed pass that they get off

u impressed by a big stickin to a guard while he slow prancin from the 3 to the key to give his big time to get his feet set for the dime after the switch? ok
again, i aint say nothin about matchin up at the perimeter all the time, u kno u sound weak so u tryna twist my ****

again, what is holding their own to u? guards are lookin for the lob in a switch in the first place, in the event that a guard wanna dance the majority of the time it end up bad for the big so idk what yall watchin

imma agree todays 5s are much more agile, mobile, athletic, and in shape, which is why we see way more lobs to them, which is why they will switch, etc 

but bigs defendin on the perimeter wasnt really a good point to throw in their imo

Back
Top Bottom