Uber Driver killed by 13 and 15 yr old in DC

Pretty sure it's been studied extensively in the field of criminology and proven that harsher punishment does not deter crime.

So you can draw and quarter people in the town common all you want, cut their hands off, whatever.... ultimately crime in this country is a symptom of something much more complex that requires a wrap around approach.

He's not here for good faith discussions or using facts or data to support his stance.

I worked in long term secure juvenile facilities (alleged worst kids in the state) when I was younger and can tell you from firsthand experience that even the ones who on the surface appear to be "beyond saving" can be rehabilitated and lead pro social lives. I still keep in touch with quite a few.

And if someone cannot be saved, it takes more than viewing a 2 minute viral video of them selling wolf tickets to determine that.

Pretty sure it's been studied extensively in the field of criminology and proven that harsher punishment does not deter crime.

So you can draw and quarter people in the town common all you want, cut their hands off, whatever.... ultimately crime in this country is a symptom of something much more complex that requires a wrap around approach.

Yep, nobody wants to hear it because it’s not an immediate fix. They just want more cops and more jails and think there’s gonna solve everything when it never has.

We got kids OPENLY talking about committing armed robbery and murder ON CAMERA and we got folks out here still with their head in the clouds talking about something other than harsh punishment. There’s two ways you learn in life……PAIN AND MOTIVATION.

We got kids OPENLY talking about committing armed robbery and murder ON CAMERA and we got folks out here still with their head in the clouds talking about something other than harsh punishment. There’s two ways you learn in life……PAIN AND MOTIVATION.

I mean....I don't know how my head could possibly be in the sand if I literally watched the entire continuum play out firsthand from beginning to present. Wouldn't that be the opposite? Lol.

I'm offering the perspective of someone with intimate knowledge and with no allegiance to any one side.

getback getback Do you agree with thought that in some cities that are perceived to he pro-criminal that some folks simply don't fear the repercussions that they could possibly face?

Still crazy how we can’t even come to a consensus in this thread, imagine at larger scales. Should do a poll. How many people think rehab for violent criminals is a noble pursuit vs strict/harsh law & order punishment where you commit the crime, say good bye?

To me it seems pretty clear. Harsh punishment will always win out vs rehab approach. One method has room to be taken advantage of whereas the other method only has the downfall of giving up on offenders early…

getback getback Do you agree with thought that in some cities that are perceived to he pro-criminal that some folks simply don't fear the repercussions that they could possibly face?

I think the majority of juveniles who commit crime do so under the assumption they won't be caught. The punishment element doesn't become real until the cuffs click or door locks. A lot of that can be attributed to the juvenile brain not being fully developed. Also part of the reason why they stopped handing out life with no parole sentences to juveniles who commit first degree life crimes here.

There are always exceptions to that philosophy, and it varies by type of crime and other variables, but in general the punishment aspect isn't even considered when juveniles are in the act of committing a crime.

I think the majority of juveniles who commit crime do so under the assumption they won't be caught. The punishment element doesn't become real until the cuffs click or door locks. A lot of that can be attributed to the juvenile brain not being fully developed. Also part of the reason why they stopped handing out life with no parole sentences to juveniles who commit first degree life crimes here.

There are always exceptions to that philosophy, and it varies by type of crime and other variables, but in general the punishment aspect isn't even considered when juveniles are in the act of committing a crime.

“Attributed to the juvenile brain not being fully developed”…….well for some reason it sure is developed enough to have the whereabouts to COMMIT the heinous crime. Funny how that works. Punishment or not, these kids know what they are doing is right.

Also another aspect that people seem to forget about and are not advocating for are the innocent people who have been victimized. Besides a house the biggest purchase a person makes is a car. We have regular citizens getting carjacked literally everyday which leaves them in a bad predicament. I’m sure those victims generally speaking don’t care if the juvenile suspects get soap in jail or not. You can’t complain about the living conditions in jail……….if you never go to jail.

“Attributed to the juvenile brain not being fully developed”…….well for some reason it sure is developed enough to have the whereabouts to COMMIT the heinous crime. Funny how that works. Punishment or not, these kids know what they are doing is right.

Also another aspect that people seem to forget about and are not advocating for are the innocent people who have been victimized. Besides a house the biggest purchase a person makes is a car. We have regular citizens getting carjacked literally everyday which leaves them in a bad predicament. I’m sure those victims generally speaking don’t care if the juvenile suspects get soap in jail or not. You can’t complain about the living conditions in jail……….if you never go to jail.
I agree with this! People keep using psychology of the juveniles brains not being “fully developed” mentally as an excuse for them committing these gruesome crimes. I don’t get why people keep advocating for them. When I say DC is a pro-Criminal city, people get in their feelings about it. It’s the truth.

I posted this before, but this is the honest the god truth!
IMG_3498.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe rehab works for certain types of people that break the law. For instance people who rape, murder (premeditated), torture, molest, should not be given the light of day again because IMO they are beyond saving nor do they deserve it.

People who are robbing and things like that should get a chance at rehab but if they continuously do it then it’s not worth wasting time and resources on them anymore

You missed the point. It's not about simply knowing right from wrong. It's about measuring risk and considering ramifications of one's actions. That was the discussion. "Right and wrong" is super vague.

The prefrontal cortex doesn't fully develop until about age 25 give or take. That's the main reason most at-risk behavior takes place in adolescence and young adulthood.

Also another aspect that people seem to forget about and are not advocating for are the innocent people who have been victimized.

Who is forgetting about the victims? In MA (a "pro criminal state") it is literally required that victims be assigned victim witness advocates by the court and also informed every time there is a court date, the offender is moved between facilities, released, etc. And it's on the offender's dime. There are TONS of resources for victims of crime.

Saying people forget about victims is honestly just a lazy statement.

If you want to kill another human being “just because” there’s some wrong with you. I don’t care what age you are. Defending yourself or your family from harm is different.

Wanting to commit bodily harm because of what someone else has or because you’re having a bad day, or mad at the world is a personal problem, no matter the age.

That’s pure evil.

A lot of adults act like they forget their mindset as kids. My mindset wasn’t to murder or harm anyone premeditated. Simple as that. A kid with that mindset is destined to get killed.

I have a cousin who’s doing 25 years in prison for second degree murder. He went in at 19 years old. This fool really thought he could get away with stuff or that he was untouchable in the streets. I said look, you think dudes gone keep letting you rob and bully them? I said if worse came to worse and you tried me, family or no family I’d kill you myself if you jeopardize me or the rest of the family. I could care less if you’re kinfolk of mines.

A lot of them know better. They just don’t CARE.

My cousin got sentenced a few weeks ago. Now mind you he committed a murder, sat in the county jail for 5 years. Got his sentence of 25, then he calls his sister and says he doesn’t want to do 20 years. Like hey, YOU MURDERED someone. You wanted to be in the streets, now you’re scared of all that time? Nah, you can’t renege on a selfish decision that YOU made. Some people are just evil. Bottom line.

He’s my cousin but I will NEVER trust him. And he’s a first cousin.

Basically I say that to say, a lot of these people know better. It’s not a matter of age. Wanting to kill, murder, tote guns with the intent of killing, they are evil.

These people only change because they get caught. That’s the bottom line. They get in front of that judge and become geeks. Getting caught and charged is what changes these dudes. If they could get away by being a career criminal and never facing the consequences of killing, they’d do it forever.

Pretty much validates what I said. 19 year old. Thought he was invincible or wouldn't get caught. Those 20 years in the state's sentencing guideline books didn't do **** to deter him. It wasn't until he started doing that time and saw what was in front of him when everything started sinking in. Perfect example.

I'm just as frustrated as everyone when it comes to crime in this country and believe if you do the crime you have to pay the fiddler. Unfortunately mass incarceration and the threat of incarceration isn't a long term solution. Didn't work in the 80's-90's and won't work now. If only it were that easy.

Pretty much validates what I said. 19 year old. Thought he was invincible or wouldn't get caught. Those 20 years in the state's sentencing guideline books didn't do **** to deter him. It wasn't until he started doing that time and saw what was in front of him when everything started sinking in. Perfect example.

I'm just as frustrated as everyone when it comes to crime in this country and believe if you do the crime you have to pay the fiddler. Unfortunately mass incarceration and the threat of incarceration isn't a long term solution. Didn't work in the 80's-90's and won't work now. If only it were that easy.

You're working under the assumption some users here want to deter crime. They do not.

If they did their focus wouldn't be on punishment but prevention. If you do the crime you should be punished for said crime to the fullest extent of the law. Priority should be to prevent those consequences from coming in to fruition in the first place.

You're working under the assumption some users here want to deter crime. They do not.

If they did their focus wouldn't be on punishment but prevention. If you do the crime you should be punished for said crime to the fullest extent of the law. Priority should be to prevent those consequences from coming in to fruition in the first place.

Right I'm also more interested in a wrap around approach and preventative/proactive measures as opposed to reactive measures. It usually starts at home and in school.

Partisan politics though. The powers that be don't really seem to want to play ball most of the time. Just throw a bone here and there. They're fine preserving the status quo that benefits them.

I don't want to say we're beyond repair because that's a defeatist attitude, but the issue is beyond complex. Especially in this country.

Also, we gotta be real, crime going up as a result of increasing income inequality is bound to happen. You can’t have homes selling for a $1M two blocks down from people who can’t even get above the poverty line and not think that affects people’s mindset. Kids have grown up watching their neighborhoods be transformed and then eventually kicked out of said neighborhoods for beer gardens and dog parks, meanwhile their schools are still barely functional.

Again that’s not excusing any violent or criminal behavior, but you have to be clueless to ignore how that factors into what’s going on.

Also, we gotta be real, crime going up as a result of increasing income inequality is bound to happen. You can’t have homes selling for a $1M two blocks down from people who can’t even get above the poverty line and not think that affects people’s mindset. Kids have grown up watching their neighborhoods be transformed and then eventually kicked out of said neighborhoods for beer gardens and dog parks, meanwhile their schools are still barely functional.

Again that’s not excusing any violent or criminal behavior, but you have to be clueless to ignore how that factors into what’s going on.

They're not clueless. Just willfully ignorant.

Crime should be punished, but to think "harsher punishment stop crime" is easily the lowest of IQ takes. Sure lock those juveniles up but they're just going to do their 5-7 years become better criminals and get out and offend again, while simultaneously there is another generation coming up right behind them doing the same thing.

It's like watching people put cheap porcelain veneers over rotting teeth. Issue is still there, looks better for a little while but the problem is going to pop back up and even worse.

So in return you commit an armed carjacking for joyriding purposes and end up getting a charge or worse yet get killed trying to carjack someone because your neighborhood that you don’t own property and pay rent at gets cleaned up with a new dog park and beer garden?? Sounds like a good revenge plan on behalf of the offenders to me champ. That’ll show ‘em!!

So in return you commit an armed carjacking for joyriding purposes and end up getting a charge or worse yet get killed trying to carjack someone because your neighborhood that you don’t own property and pay rent at gets cleaned up with a new dog park and beer garden?? Sounds like a good revenge plan on behalf of the offenders to me champ. That’ll show ‘em!!
Bro you’re not interested in having an actual intelligent nuanced conversation on this topic. I said in the end of that post it’s not an EXCUSE for criminal behavior. Either you’re being willfully ignorant or you’re illiterate. Pick one.

Only a complete idiot would ignore how larger socioeconomic factors affect crime rates. There’s multiple studies on it. Read one, or ****, read ANYTHING, and come back and have a discussion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom