*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

indifferent.gif
if Blake Griffin gets on this team.

Some of you guys sound completely arrogant/ignorant about how the international game is played. The big man positions are probably the most dangerous positions to guard because of how quick and athletic most bigs are internationally. You're going to need tough, physical and defensive minded bigs if you want to win on the international level. Blake Griffin doesn't fit that bill.

laugh.gif
at you guys thinking we're going to win easily with just Kobe/LeBron. it's that exact mentality we had back in 04' that won us the bronze.

I'm not disagreeing with you but which 4-5 bigs do you think we should send? 
I think the consensus for positions 1-3 is clear...a combination of CP3, Deron, Rose, Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Durant, Melo...

Due to the latter 3's versatility/size, you could easily count any of them as a stretch 4. 

My lineup, with an emphasis on size + versatility would be:

Deron / Rose 

Kobe / Wade / Westbrook

Durant / Melo

Lebron / Bosh / Griffin 

Chandler / Love

Obvious omission is CP3 but I like Deron's outside game + size. Plus I just imagine a bench mob of Rose / Westbrook / Wade / Melo / Griffin .... 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
. That athleticism would just overwhelm opposing benches.

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

indifferent.gif
if Blake Griffin gets on this team.

Some of you guys sound completely arrogant/ignorant about how the international game is played. The big man positions are probably the most dangerous positions to guard because of how quick and athletic most bigs are internationally. You're going to need tough, physical and defensive minded bigs if you want to win on the international level. Blake Griffin doesn't fit that bill.

laugh.gif
at you guys thinking we're going to win easily with just Kobe/LeBron. it's that exact mentality we had back in 04' that won us the bronze.

I'm not disagreeing with you but which 4-5 bigs do you think we should send? 
I think the consensus for positions 1-3 is clear...a combination of CP3, Deron, Rose, Kobe, Wade, LeBron, Durant, Melo...

Due to the latter 3's versatility/size, you could easily count any of them as a stretch 4. 

My lineup, with an emphasis on size + versatility would be:

Deron / Rose 

Kobe / Wade / Westbrook

Durant / Melo

Lebron / Bosh / Griffin 

Chandler / Love

Obvious omission is CP3 but I like Deron's outside game + size. Plus I just imagine a bench mob of Rose / Westbrook / Wade / Melo / Griffin .... 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
. That athleticism would just overwhelm opposing benches.
This is my team:
PG: CP3/Deron/Rose

SG: Kobe/Wade/Eric Gordon

SF: Lebron/Melo/Durant

PF: Kevin Love

C: Chandler/Bosh

I don't understand why some of you guys think we have an advantage in size, because we certainly don't. If anything, we have way more speed and athleticism. 

Derrick Rose is hurting right now and probably wouldn't want to play just so he can rest up, but he's a very unselfish player. If given the opportunity, Rose will step up and do w.e is asked of him. 

Eric Gordon is going to be the pick that gets me flamed, but hear me out on this one. Every great US Olympic basketball team had a solid spot up shooter that was reliable when needed. There will be times where we'll see zones because of our speed and athleticism and the international defense is no joke. Just look at what Argentina and Spain was able to do on defense in 08. We're going to need someone to knock down that open 3 when games get close. This was the ONLY reason why Michael Redd was on the 08 team. And he filled this role perfectly. What makes Eric Gordon so great is that he can actually create for himself. 

Kevin Love is PERFECT for international play. He has size, speed, a jumpshot and athleticism to match up with the most versatile bigs out there. He grabs boards and can spread the floor with the 3 ball. I just hope he gets cleared to play by then. 

I'm torn with the Tyson Chandler pick because as a Knicks fan I want him to rest up during the Summer, but USA NEEDS him to be the defensive anchor and lock down the paint. He's defensive minded, a leader from a championship team and will garner respect from his teammates. Just look at the impact he's having on this current Knicks team. His presence alone changes the complexion of the team on defense. With him on the floor the Knicks allow 94-95 ppg. When he's sitting out games the Knicks allow 118 ppg. He's most likely going to win DPOY this year as well. He won't put up the glamours numbers and wow you on the court with dunking over people, but he will be the voice on the court that keeps everyone together and will control the locker room. You need someone like Chandler. 

One more note...Just because we have an amazing bench doesn't mean we're promised a gold. Teams like Argentina and Spain are STACKED as well and more times than not very very well coached. We also have to realize another things--We're playing THEIR game. This is international basketball. A system that most of these players grew up on. They have the advantage in that aspect. 

The lineup I just made is probably the most sensible one due to what we need and what's available this summer. I have no doubt in my mind we'll compete for Gold, but we're only going to win if we pick the right players, have respect for our opponents and play defensive. Also, we gotta keep Blake Griffin away from this team 
laugh.gif

I also wouldn't want guys like Rondo and Westbrook anywhere near this team because of attitude problems and selfishness. 

Does it really matter outside the top 8 players of the rotation?

Everyone seems to think that we're ill-equipped to face Spain because of their size. Well, they've lost 2 of their better guards in Rubio and Rudy. Let's taste their backcourt with presses and traps.

Starting 5

CP3
Kobe
Durant
Lebron
Chandler

bench: Dwill, Rose, Wade, Melo, Love, Bosh

these 11 players are locks IMO

That leaves the last spot which would be need based. Between Westbrook, Gordon, Iguadala or another big man (Griffin or Bynum). I personally don't think Griffin should be on this team and I don't know if Bynums game truly translates well but if we need size we have to take one of em. If we want another wing Gordon could be our sharp shooter but Westbrook and Iggy are better overall players. Shouldn't make too much of a difference as long as we have those 11 I stated above.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Everyone seems to think that we're ill-equipped to face Spain because of their size. Well, they've lost 2 of their better guards in Rubio and Rudy. Let's taste their backcourt with presses and traps.

Rubio actually had a flat performance in 08. It was the first time he started getting a lot of attention and was considered to enter the NBA draft soon. Calderon was actually the PG that was leading that Spanish team before he got hurt and couldn't play in the semi-final and medal game.
Not saying Calederon > Rubio, but Jose has more experience. 

Originally Posted by srvballer

Starting 5

CP3
Kobe
Durant
Lebron
Chandler

bench: Dwill, Rose, Wade, Melo, Love, Bosh

these 11 players are locks IMO

That leaves the last spot which would be need based. Between Westbrook, Gordon, Iguadala or another big man (Griffin or Bynum). I personally don't think Griffin should be on this team and I don't know if Bynums game truly translates well but if we need size we have to take one of em. If we want another wing Gordon could be our sharp shooter but Westbrook and Iggy are better overall players. Shouldn't make too much of a difference as long as we have those 11 I stated above.
Bynum said he won't play this summer. He's going to have procedures done to his knee's in Europe. I would take Iggy on the team just for his defense (kind of like what Prince did for us in 08), but we have too many forwards already with the addition of Durant. Westbrook is a knuklehead and will turn the ball over and chuck up shots to the win the game like no tomorrow. He's a repeat offender in this case 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Rubio actually had a flat performance in 08. It was the first time he started getting a lot of attention and was considered to enter the NBA draft soon. Calderon was actually the PG that was leading that Spanish team before he got hurt and couldn't play in the semi-final and medal game.
Not saying Calederon > Rubio, but Jose has more experience. 
I know, but those 2 combined for 40 mins/game for their Euro Champs squad. Gotta replace that with inexperienced guys

Team USA's athleticism and speed is countered by the size and slower pace of FIBA. The better teams run precise half-court offenses, and then turn around and play a strong (and annoying) zone defense. Team USA will always be faster and more athletic, but as we saw from 2000 to 2006, that didn't really mean much.

My favorite thing about FIBA ball was the "pretend accidental" length of the floor moving screens bigs would set for their guards after in bounding the ball, and USA players complaining and talking trash to opposing players and refs who didn't understand them.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

Westbrook > Rose for slightly better shooting, less injury prone, and considerably better on ball defense (pesky int'l PGs)

laugh.gif
you do know that the 9 games he missed so far this year are more games than he's missed in his 1st 3 yrs combined right?

You don't like him then you don't like him... Or if you're just a Russy fan then you're just a Russy fan.  But to say Pooh's Injury Prone as a reason to discredit his participation is just a bad counter point.

Bottom Line is that baring any injury Pooh's going to be on the Olympic squad. 
pimp.gif

Like I said, Rose is more injury prone. 

Originally Posted by Physicx

^he doesnt wanna do it, ive heard

with rose out, i guess westbrook is in after all?
He has an opportunity to be the back-up point guard on Team USA. I think he may reconsider.

One thing's for sure, he needs to at least be invited. Out of all the point guards that are "locks", the has been playing the best. He doesn't start over CP3 but he's a better fit than Russ, imo.

theyll prolly make the USA Select team that will scrimmage the olympic team in the summer

but the main roster? HELL nah
laugh.gif

Ya that's what I've heard about Cousins to, is that he'll at least be on the Select team. Tyreke has already come out and said no to playing this summer at all
laugh.gif
like they want em
ohwell.gif

anyways...

Sam Amick>INSIDE THE NBA

[table][tr][td][h1]Colangelo reconsiders expanding Team USA finalists after injuries[/h1][/td][/tr][/table][color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]

Derrick Rose's season-ending knee injury on Saturday could turn out to be good news for one person: his replacement for Team USA's pool of finalists for this summer's Olympics in London.

Just three days after saying the roster of Olympic team finalists would not be expanded after the recent rash of injuries to key players, USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo told SI.com that he is reconsidering his stance after the Bulls point guard tore his ACL in Game 1 of their series against the Sixers.

"What I said [previously] was that we didn't plan to do any additions, but we had to continue to monitor the injury situation," Colangelo said. "Obviously this is a big loss. [Point guard] seems to be, at this point, still a pretty strong position. But at this stage, quite honestly, I think all bets are off."

While Rose didn't play in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, he was a member of the Select team and later played a key role on the U.S. team that won a gold medal at the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

LOWE: Rose's injury dashes Bulls' championship hopes

Five of the 20 original Olympic team finalists chosen in January have since been scratched off Colangelo's list, with Rose preceded by Magic center Dwight Howard (back surgery), Clippers point guard Chauncey Billups (torn Achilles), Trail Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge (hip surgery) and Mavericks small forward Lamar Odom (personal issues; no longer active with the team). Lakers center Andrew Bynum, who would have been a natural fit to replace Howard, recently told theLos Angeles Times that he plans to have the same platelet-rich plasma therapy on his knee that teammate Kobe Bryant underwent last offseason and would not be available.

The current Team USA finalists are Carmelo Anthony (New York Knicks), Chris Bosh (Miami Heat), Bryant, Tyson Chandler (New York Knicks), Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder), Rudy Gay (Memphis Grizzlies), Eric Gordon (New Orleans Hornets), Blake Griffin (Los Angeles Clippers), Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia 76ers), LeBron James (Miami Heat), Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves), Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers), Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat), Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder) and Deron Williams (New Jersey Nets).

Although the deadline for teams to set rosters with the Olympic Committee isn't until June 18, Colangelo said Team USA had planned to announce its final 12-man roster on June 1. Rose's injury, however, has drastically changed that plan.

"I think now we're going to wait until the very last moment to pick the team, because it seems ridiculous with a lot of playoff games to play that we would select a team," he said. "We might as well keep the options open as long as we can, and continue to monitor [the situation].

"Our staffs (including coach Mike Krzyzewski) are going to be meeting on Monday and Tuesday in Vegas, and we're going to be talking about all of that. But I'm certain that that's going to be the call."

In light of the fact that the NBA playoffs could last until June 28, Colangelo hinted he might request more time, beyond the deadline.

"We'll try to get as much time as we can under the circumstances," he said.

While Colangelo didn't say who is in the running for the opening, it's clear that players who were previously being considered for the Select team could now be in the mix for Team USA. The Select team is scheduled to train with Team USA in Las Vegas from July 6 to 11, and will play against it leading up to five exhibition games that run through late July and finish in Spain.

There is a dearth of big men, though, with the Griffin, Love, Bosh and Chandler the only members of the team's front court who are expected to be available. That could lead to improved chances for Sacramento's second-year center, DeMarcus Cousins, who averaged 18.1 points and 10.9 rebounds per game this season and was already being looked at for the Select team.

"I'm really looking at the [Select] team we bring in to scrimmage our players, to a large degree, to be the makeup of who represents us in 2014 in Spain in the Worlds," Colangelo said. "And his name was on that list to talk about, consider etc. Certainly he would be a candidate.

"With the fact that we've had two key guys go down and the two positions that are involved, we just have to really analyze what we're prepared to do. It's what the coaching staff feels they need. If they feel there's a shortcoming somewhere, that's where we have to go."

The loss of Rose, Colangelo said, could alter the entire emphasis of the team's identity as well.

"We've said that the strength of the team is going to be athleticism, wing players, the backcourt, but we'll see," he said. "We're going to have to consider a lot of things. The good news is that so many people wish and desire to play that we will be very deep regardless of what happens here -- unless there's another rash of things happening here. I pray that it's over."
[/color]

so the groups were drawn this morning
Group A: USA, Argentina, France, Tunisia, qualified 1, qualified 2

Group B: GB, China, Australia, Brazil, Spain, Qualified 3

group a looks way harder, and I think that among South Korea, Jordan, Nigeria,Angola, Venezuela, Rep Dom, Lithuania, Russia, Macedonia. Puerto Rico, Greece and New Zealand, only European teams have a chance to make it...I hope im wrong 

Back
Top Bottom