*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Nine players assured of spot on Olympic team[/h1]
[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

uly 2, 2012

Steve Mitchell-US PRESSWIRE

YOUTH MOVEMENT: Dwyane Wade doesn't want to play like he's 30, which is why he's forgoing the Olympics for surgery.

[img]http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/common/medialib/264/659614.jpg[/img]

Lynne Sladky/Associated Press
Take a look at how the Heat celebrated their 2012 title. VIEW GALLERY »
USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Monday nine of the 12 spots for the U.S. Olympic basketball team are secured and there will be competition later this week to determine the final three spots.

In a phone interview with FOX Sports Florida, Colangelo said 2008 Olympic holdovers LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul and Deron Williams are assured of being on the team in London along with 2010 World Championship holdovers Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love and Tyson Chandler.

Colangelo said that leaves six players vying for the final three spots as Team USA will have practices Friday and Saturday in Las Vegas before the team is announced at 7 p.m. EDT Saturday in a selection show being televised by NBA TV. They are Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, Rudy Gay, James Harden, Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis. Despite a sprained ankle that could sideline him this week, Colangelo said Davis remains under consideration for the team.

Colangelo said Lamar Odom dropped out Monday, leaving Team USA with 15 finalists. He said there will be no further additions to the team. The three finalists who don't make the 12-man roster will be alternates.

"We will not be adding anybody," Colangelo said. "We feel good with what we have."

Colangelo said Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, called him to say Odom was out.

"Jeff told me quite some time ago that he really wanted the opportunity and so we talked about it and we decided to give him an opportunity and then he was kind of in and out a couple of times," said Colangelo, who had agreed to give Odom, who was traded last week from Dallas to the Clippers, another chance after he had a disastrous season with the Mavericks and was on the outs as far as making the Olympic team. "I think Jeff was perplexed, too. So up until (Monday afternoon), he was a go. And now he’s out."

Davis, taken last Thursday with New Orleans as the No. 1 pick in the draft, sprained his ankle in a recent workout with the Hornets. Colangelo, who said Davis always has been a "long shot" to make the team, said that doesn't necessarily mean Davis is out of consideration for the Olympics.

Colengelo said Davis could be selected for the team and then could be replaced by an alternate if his injury continues to hamper him. Or he said, if Davis doesn't make the team, the possibility could exist to replace a player if there is another injury.

"I'll tell all of them to stay ready just in case," Colangelo said of the three players chosen as alternates.

Colangelo said that leaves six players vying for the final three spots as Team USA will have practices Friday and Saturday in Las Vegas before the team is announced at 7 p.m. EDT Saturday in a selection show being televised by NBA TV. They are Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala, Rudy Gay, James Harden, Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis. Despite a sprained ankle that could sideline him this week, Colangelo said Davis remains under consideration for the team.

DMC is gonna go in to training camp thinking he has a shot
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by FlyerThanDelta

Still no respect for Rondo though?!?'...#MoneyTeam
People need to let the Rondo thing go. Things didn't end well when he was cut (oh sorry, he "asked" to be let go) in 2010. Rondo had a bad attitude, and USA Basketball doesn't want him (or need him).

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by FlyerThanDelta

Still no respect for Rondo though?!?'...#MoneyTeam
People need to let the Rondo thing go. Things didn't end well when he was cut (oh sorry, he "asked" to be let go) in 2010. Rondo had a bad attitude, and USA Basketball doesn't want him (or need him).
Yeah I don't think Rondo's game fits what Coach K wants to do.  I figured that out when in 2010 he picked up his dribble called a play a started dribbling again.  It just looked that he was uncomfortable and that double dribble confirmed it for me.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

I expect to see a lot of James and Melo, maybe even Durant, at the 4. 

yup.. james is going be the starting 4.. and melo will see a ton of time there too.. and durant will see a couple too

durant-james-chandler is the starting front line

just like deron and westbrook will see good minutes at the SG spot.. moreso westbrook

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Looks like Griffin has made the team according to Jeff Goodman.

2 more spots left.
That was pretty much a given after Bosh bailed. Just put Iggy and Gordon on the team and let's roll.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Glad to hear Blake made it, I need to see us triple-alley ooping NBA Street style this summer
Because that's definitely how you win gold medals.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Glad to hear Blake made it, I need to see us triple-alley ooping NBA Street style this summer
Because that's definitely how you win gold medals.
We have Kevin Durant and LeBron James playing, we are going to win the gold medal regardless.

I'm just saying Blake isn't going to play much. He's the Carlos Boozer of this squad.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Looks like Griffin has made the team according to Jeff Goodman.

2 more spots left.
That was pretty much a given after Bosh bailed. Just put Rudy and Gordon on the team and let's roll.
Yep.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

I expect to see a lot of James and Melo, maybe even Durant, at the 4. 

yup.. james is going be the starting 4.. and melo will see a ton of time there too.. and durant will see a couple too

durant-james-chandler is the starting front line

just like deron and westbrook will see good minutes at the SG spot.. moreso westbrook
I could see Chandler starting just to match up with the other starting 5. Then a few minutes in go small and run the opposing team off the floor, and make them adjust to our speed. 
This squad is gonna be even faster than 2010
laugh.gif

Don't mind Blake but for the love of God he better not be on the court the last few minutes of play if games are tight.

My closing line up is

Paul
Kobe
Durant
James
Love

how the hell do you defend that with >10 seconds to go
laugh.gif

My closing line up is

Paul
Kobe
Durant
James
Love

laugh.gif
CP3 and LBJ pick and rolls with Kobe, Durant, and Love spotting up 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

My closing line up is

Paul
Kobe
Durant
James
Love

laugh.gif
James would have a lot of options.

If Iggy's on the roster, the defensive stopper/Murderous Press lineup:

CP3
Kobe
Iggy
Lebron
Chandler

The funny thing is that Lebron would inbound in that situation. Love has to help stretch the floor by staying down low/decoy, CP3 ain't takin' it out due to height, Kobe DEFINITELY isn't taking it out, and when's the last time KD took it out? Lebron is the best passer from out of bounds when you factor in height, ability and court vision.

Back
Top Bottom