\V/ | The Official N*E*R*D 'Nothing' Album Thread 11-02-10 (EDIT: DOUBLE DISC! :EEK) | \V/

smile.gif

And when it hit me it felt like lightning
And when it hit me I wasn't frightened

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I don't care what y'all say, I love this album. Why are you guys so compelled to rank their albums? Just enjoy the music man.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I don't care what y'all say, I love this album. Why are you guys so compelled to rank their albums? Just enjoy the music man.

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

A-%*%!@!+-MEN

Every new release is ______ > ______ .  Its even worse because it's only been out for a couple days..
30t6p3b.gif

You can expect NT to bring the lulz, hype things to the fullest, and give premature critiques.

Spoiler [+]
Seeing Sounds did have more of an initial impact than Nothing for me but its WAAAY to early to call it if I absolutely had too...

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

A-%*%!@!+-MEN

Every new release is ______ > ______ .  Its even worse because it's only been out for a couple days..
30t6p3b.gif

You can expect NT to bring the lulz, hype things to the fullest, and give premature critiques.

Spoiler [+]
Seeing Sounds did have more of an initial impact than Nothing for me but its WAAAY to early to call it if I absolutely had too...

Like the majority of y'all have said, their previous albums were better. However, this was a decent album. The standout tracks for me are...

- Ive Seen The Light
- Hypnotize U
- I wanna Jam
- God Bless Us All
- Victory

Like the majority of y'all have said, their previous albums were better. However, this was a decent album. The standout tracks for me are...

- Ive Seen The Light
- Hypnotize U
- I wanna Jam
- God Bless Us All
- Victory

I disagree with berating the notion of categorizing or ranking an artist's body of work, imagine if you will a musician's discography in a museum setting. We as "individuals" are going to migrate towards different pieces due to the overwhelming amount of factors that cause us to react to art, music or literature differently. As fans, we find ways to appreciate everything because anything is better than nothing, therefore any kind of criticism can be considered without merit because individuals (casual listeners) are weighing their perceptions on part of what fans consider collectively complete.

The way I see it, categorizing or ranking an artists discography helps both fans and casual listeners bridge the gap because in the end we are all affected, be it positively or negatively we have all been exposed to their work in some fashion or another. That kind of exposure is going to generate interest (sales/debates/conversations) regardless of how high or low an individual's impressions may be (i.e. Why is A considered better than B? Maybe I should listen to C before D and etc)

It kind of reminds me of Little Brother's "The Listening"

Yo, I bought a brand new album today/
Decide to take it home kick off my shoes relax and play/
And spin it for the whole joint cause I like to ge the whole point/

I disagree with berating the notion of categorizing or ranking an artist's body of work, imagine if you will a musician's discography in a museum setting. We as "individuals" are going to migrate towards different pieces due to the overwhelming amount of factors that cause us to react to art, music or literature differently. As fans, we find ways to appreciate everything because anything is better than nothing, therefore any kind of criticism can be considered without merit because individuals (casual listeners) are weighing their perceptions on part of what fans consider collectively complete.

The way I see it, categorizing or ranking an artists discography helps both fans and casual listeners bridge the gap because in the end we are all affected, be it positively or negatively we have all been exposed to their work in some fashion or another. That kind of exposure is going to generate interest (sales/debates/conversations) regardless of how high or low an individual's impressions may be (i.e. Why is A considered better than B? Maybe I should listen to C before D and etc)

Mansions on the Moon

N*E*R*D's new group Mansions on the Moon just dropped their first mixtape. Havent had a chance to check it out myself but my boy Ted Wendler has a lot of talent and said they put a lot of work into this. Check it out.

Mansions on the Moon

N*E*R*D's new group Mansions on the Moon just dropped their first mixtape. Havent had a chance to check it out myself but my boy Ted Wendler has a lot of talent and said they put a lot of work into this. Check it out.

Originally Posted by politicsasusual

"Anything is better than Nothing"?  Geez, the album wasn't that bad..
tongue.gif
  I appreciate the well thought out post.  You don't see enough of these on here.  +1 for the LB reference.

If you want to get that deep with it then let's talk about adequate ranking criteria.  All these NT rankings are based on first impressions.  That cannot be a reasonable enough criteria to straight up say A > B.  You have to consider the artist's direction, execution, overall enjoyment, and whatever else.  You cannot gather this information in a couple days even if you let it spin 100 times.  Hell, I can't tell you how many times it took something to happen in my life for me to appreciate artists/albums I didn't upon the first few listens.

All I'm saying is chill on the early comparisons.  Even if its the same artist some albums are apples and oranges.  Artists evolve, sounds change, songs grow on you, etc...

Sidenote: Checking out MotM and I'm loving what I hear so far
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by politicsasusual

tongue.gif
  I appreciate the well thought out post.  You don't see enough of these on here.  +1 for the LB reference.

If you want to get that deep with it then let's talk about adequate ranking criteria.  All these NT rankings are based on first impressions.  That cannot be a reasonable enough criteria to straight up say A > B.  You have to consider the artist's direction, execution, overall enjoyment, and whatever else.  You cannot gather this information in a couple days even if you let it spin 100 times.  Hell, I can't tell you how many times it took something to happen in my life for me to appreciate artists/albums I didn't upon the first few listens.

All I'm saying is chill on the early comparisons.  Even if its the same artist some albums are apples and oranges.  Artists evolve, sounds change, songs grow on you, etc...

Sidenote: Checking out MotM and I'm loving what I hear so far
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

tongue.gif

I'm glad you caught that, I didn't mean it metaphorically as an insult and I can see it being interpreted as such. I do however agree with you on this note; early impressions or comparisons a few days short of a leak let alone an official release may not be what it takes in order to listen to and understand what they intended months before this project was even conceptualized BUT...it gets the computers putin'.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

tongue.gif

I'm glad you caught that, I didn't mean it metaphorically as an insult and I can see it being interpreted as such. I do however agree with you on this note; early impressions or comparisons a few days short of a leak let alone an official release may not be what it takes in order to listen to and understand what they intended months before this project was even conceptualized BUT...it gets the computers putin'.

Definitely the best album i've heard this year. Then again, there isn't much competition, but nonetheless this is good music.

Inside the clouds needs to be longer...it's like the sax from the end of bobby james, but ill in it's its own right.

Definitely the best album i've heard this year. Then again, there isn't much competition, but nonetheless this is good music.

Inside the clouds needs to be longer...it's like the sax from the end of bobby james, but ill in it's its own right.

Back
Top Bottom