VEGETARIAN COOKING THREAD VOL. LET THAT BOY COOK

Baseballs, what did you make with "Some Soup" up above? Looks like a type of muffin. And what type of soup is that? Post recipes when you post pics man. LOL

Baseballs, what did you make with "Some Soup" up above? Looks like a type of muffin. And what type of soup is that? Post recipes when you post pics man. LOL

Of Course It's OK to Raise Your Child Vegan

I stopped by to visit a friend and her new baby last week, and she surprised me by asking, "Is it ok to raise my daughter vegan?"  She said she and her husband have been seriously thinking about having the family become vegan. My answer was, "Of course it's OK to raise your child vegan!"

My friend is one of many new moms (and moms-to-be) who've asked me this same question over the years. They've heard that it’s not safe to raise children on a vegan diet—maybe even dangerous.  They’ve heard from parents or friends that their children will be nutritionally-deficient, anemic, and even mentally or physically weak. 

Well, if you’ve been wondering about the same thing, rest assured.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Vegan diets provide optimal nutrition for all stages of childhood, from birth through adolescence.  In fact, raising children on vegan foods is one of the best ways to ensure they have bright and healthy futures.

But don’t just take my word for it.  Here’s what the American Dietetic Association has to say as the world’s largest organization of food and nutritional professionals.

"Appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes."

Even famed baby expert Dr. Benjamin Spock advocated vegan diets in the 7th edition of Baby and Child Care, the world’s leading parenting guide.

The fact is, vegan children grow up to be healthier, slimmer, and live longer than their omnivore (meat-eating) friends. 

And get this: vegan children are not only healthier, they’re smarter, too.  According to Latest in Clinical Nutrition: 2007, it’s been known for three decades that vegan children have IQs that test 16 points above average and a mental age that is one year ahead of children who eat meat and dairy.  Now that’s some good news about our children’s health, for a change.

So if you’re thinking about raising vegan children, here are some tips from two great resources: Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, and from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM):

• For at least the first six months of life, vegan babies, like all infants, should be fed mother's milk.  If breast milk is not available, an organic soy-based formula can be substituted to avoid dairy allergies from cow’s milk formulas.
  • After about six to eight months, babies can be introduced to foods such as mashed fruits, vegetables, and infant cereal. This can be followed by beans and grains that have been well-cooked and mashed.
  • When children are ready to eat solid foods exclusively, they should eat generously from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes (beans and nuts).  These vegan foods provide abundant protein, calcium and other essential nutrients to keep rapidly growing bodies healthy and strong.
  • To ensure that children receive adequate amounts of vitamin B-12, any common children's multivitamin will work.  This goes for vegan and omnivore children alike, since many meat-eaters also don’t get adequate amounts of vitamin B-12, which originates from bacteria, not animals.
And one more thing: the Centers for Disease Control reports that 1 in 200 children are vegetarian (which includes vegans).  In fact, your city's vegetarian organization is likely to have a play group for vegan families.  So for veg-curious parents, relax.  Raising children vegan is a lot more common than you think.  

Of Course It's OK to Raise Your Child Vegan

I stopped by to visit a friend and her new baby last week, and she surprised me by asking, "Is it ok to raise my daughter vegan?"  She said she and her husband have been seriously thinking about having the family become vegan. My answer was, "Of course it's OK to raise your child vegan!"

My friend is one of many new moms (and moms-to-be) who've asked me this same question over the years. They've heard that it’s not safe to raise children on a vegan diet—maybe even dangerous.  They’ve heard from parents or friends that their children will be nutritionally-deficient, anemic, and even mentally or physically weak. 

Well, if you’ve been wondering about the same thing, rest assured.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Vegan diets provide optimal nutrition for all stages of childhood, from birth through adolescence.  In fact, raising children on vegan foods is one of the best ways to ensure they have bright and healthy futures.

But don’t just take my word for it.  Here’s what the American Dietetic Association has to say as the world’s largest organization of food and nutritional professionals.

"Appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life-cycle including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence and for athletes."

Even famed baby expert Dr. Benjamin Spock advocated vegan diets in the 7th edition of Baby and Child Care, the world’s leading parenting guide.

The fact is, vegan children grow up to be healthier, slimmer, and live longer than their omnivore (meat-eating) friends. 

And get this: vegan children are not only healthier, they’re smarter, too.  According to Latest in Clinical Nutrition: 2007, it’s been known for three decades that vegan children have IQs that test 16 points above average and a mental age that is one year ahead of children who eat meat and dairy.  Now that’s some good news about our children’s health, for a change.

So if you’re thinking about raising vegan children, here are some tips from two great resources: Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina, and from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM):

• For at least the first six months of life, vegan babies, like all infants, should be fed mother's milk.  If breast milk is not available, an organic soy-based formula can be substituted to avoid dairy allergies from cow’s milk formulas.
  • After about six to eight months, babies can be introduced to foods such as mashed fruits, vegetables, and infant cereal. This can be followed by beans and grains that have been well-cooked and mashed.
  • When children are ready to eat solid foods exclusively, they should eat generously from fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes (beans and nuts).  These vegan foods provide abundant protein, calcium and other essential nutrients to keep rapidly growing bodies healthy and strong.
  • To ensure that children receive adequate amounts of vitamin B-12, any common children's multivitamin will work.  This goes for vegan and omnivore children alike, since many meat-eaters also don’t get adequate amounts of vitamin B-12, which originates from bacteria, not animals.
And one more thing: the Centers for Disease Control reports that 1 in 200 children are vegetarian (which includes vegans).  In fact, your city's vegetarian organization is likely to have a play group for vegan families.  So for veg-curious parents, relax.  Raising children vegan is a lot more common than you think.  

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

that was just the homemade bread.  i updated most of my posts with links to recipes

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

that was just the homemade bread.  i updated most of my posts with links to recipes

Been a vegan for 3 years now, but I had a recent revelation about my diet. Most of us during the transition from meat in fact substitute and over abuse STARCH as a medium. Hence most of the pics in this thread. While there is nothing wrong with progression, I admitted to my self that it seemed very contradictory to consider myself a vegan when I consumed more bread than I did vegetables. Deeming me not a vegetarian but infact a STARCHATARIAN, a lifestyle which carries a heavy deficit on your health as well.

Back
Top Bottom