Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I love this damn 6p :pimp:

About to drop BlackBerry after 7yrs and 4 different devices, and join the Android family.
I'm on AT&T and leaning towards the edge+.
Anyone have a negative experience with this particular phone?
Also would like to know the positives.

About to drop BlackBerry after 7yrs and 4 different devices, and join the Android family.
I'm on AT&T and leaning towards the edge+.
Anyone have a negative experience with this particular phone?
Also would like to know the positives.

Do not get the Edge+. I would recommend staying away from any Samsung device, but I have a lot of bias against them. Part of the reason why Android is such a great platform is that it's open source, meaning you can customize your phone down to how much current the processor can draw (do not recommend btw.) Companies like Samsung try to prevent people from customizing their phones and install security mechanisms that prevent and flag devices that do. Typically this is a good thing, but with Samsung, they do it more as a way to force users into utilizing their software rather than allowing people to customize (and often remove) their branding.

As far as the phone itself, it's a premium device and it's definitely powerful, but that doesn't mean it's the best choice. This is where your personal perference comes in. Companies like Samsung, LG, Sony, etc take Android and put their own twists on it, usually referred to as a skin. Samsung's skin is known as TouchWiz, LG's is UX, Sony has Xperia, HTC's skin is Sense... The list goes on. If you don't think you'll be big into customizing your phone, the Edge+ is as good a phone as any assuming you don't mind Samsung's skin. I personally can't stand it, but you might feel otherwise. The most important thing to realize is that your ability to customize your phone will be hindered if you select a Samsung device. If you like it how it is stock, that's a good thing. If you don't, you will quickly find yourself bored with your device.

That brings me to my next point: updates. Manufacturers that make Android devices have a tendency to neglect their children. Samsung is one of the worst offenders in this regard - they just finished updating their phones to the now old version of Android 5.1.1 (current version is 6.0.) With a Samsung phone, you can expect updates few and far between. With a niche Samsung device, your chances of having timely, pristine updating is pretty much nil. The Edge+ is niche due to that curved screen. The regular Galaxy S will undoubtedly be updated before the Edge series, perhaps by months. Think long and hard about whether or not that edge is worth slower updates, battery drain, and a lesser selection of accessories.

If I were you, I'd check out the LG V10 and try to see if a friend has a Nexus 6P. These two phones are some of the best that Android has to offer, and you can get the "vanilla" experience of Android if you pick up the 6P. Some people live and die by vanilla Android, so it might be worth checking out.

Cliffs
Pros - Great build quality, one of the most secure devices on the planet, good camera, decent battery life.

Cons - expect updates to be few and far between, TouchWiz skin (this might be a pro for some,) no removable battery or SD card.

IMO there are better phones at better prices.

yeah yeah appreciate the feedback.
Just went and checked out the V10 and it's nice.
ATT doesn't offer the 6P.
Going back to the store tonight to get a closer look at the v10.

yeah yeah appreciate the feedback.
Just went and checked out the V10 and it's nice.
ATT doesn't offer the 6P.
Going back to the store tonight to get a closer look at the v10.

No prob. I got the V10 after using the Note 5 for a bit and I love it. Still not 100% used to the power button on the back, but it oddly works well. Everything else about it is A1. Even better, if you do happen to go with the V10, LG will send you a 64GB SD card, extra battery, and battery cradle when you show them proof of purchase: http://m.androidcentral.com/lgs-lat...memory-card-spare-battery-and-charging-cradle

I obviously favor the V10 over other devices, but it's only because I legitimately think this is one of the best phones I've ever had. Being able to turn my TV on/off and use it as a remote for other stuff is :pimp:

Surprised you aren't going for the Blackberry Passport or Priv. Blackberry has some solid offerings for the first time in a long while.

Last edited:
No prob. I got the V10 after using the Note 5 for a bit and I love it. Still not 100% used to the power button on the back, but it oddly works well. Everything else about it is A1. Even better, if you do happen to go with the V10, LG will send you a 64GB SD card, extra battery, and battery cradle when you show them proof of purchase: http://m.androidcentral.com/lgs-lat...memory-card-spare-battery-and-charging-cradle

I obviously favor the V10 over other devices, but it's only because I legitimately think this is one of the best phones I've ever had. Being able to turn my TV on/off and use it as a remote for other stuff is :pimp:

Surprised you aren't going for the Blackberry Passport or Priv. Blackberry has some solid offerings for the first time in a long while.
I have the Passport and they built a wack browser for it.
Can't shop Nike's website with it and it doesn't convert websites like it should.
Z10 was way fresh but they were too stupid to improve on it and stick to one phone like Apple does.

You don't HAVE to if you pay whatever phone u have off. If you can afford to buy the 6P outright, that'll cut your bill a lil
I'm just starting my plan so I'm stuck for right now.
Buying the phone direct next time though.

Back
Top Bottom