Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally Posted by sladewilson

Galaxy Note unlocked N-7000  note only works on T-Mobile Edge Right?

correct, thats what im on now 
att version works on tmobile 4g with a radio flash 

tmobile said to be getting the note soon tho, so are other carriers probably 

30t6p3b.gif

Verizon Unlimited Data Plans For Grandfathered Customers To End Soon

Posted: 05/16/2012 3:06 pm

A Verizon exec has announced that the company plans to do away with its unlimited data plans for grandfathered customers in favor of new tiered "data share" plans, effectively killing off the final unlimited plans at the nation's largest mobile carrier.

As first reported by FierceWireless, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo told a crowd at J.P. Morgan's Technology, Media and Telecom conference in Boston that eventually the company would force all of its current unlimited users over to data sharing, a new kind of "family" plan which launches on Verizon in the summer and allows members of a family to share a set amount of data across all of their devices. In other words, rather than paying for data by the device, a family could purchase, say, 100GB of data per month that everyone on the plan would be able to share. So if Mom uses 80GB of data, and Dad uses 2GB of data, and Little Jimmy uses 16GB of data, it doesn't matter -- you're just paying for that 100GB of data across all of your devices (smartphones, tablets, netbooks, smart refrigerators, whatever).

Though Verizon ended unlimited data for new customers in July 2011, America's largest wireless carrier allowed its old customers to keep their unlimited plans so long as they stuck with the company. That's ending: "Everyone will be on data share," FierceWireless has quoted Shammo as saying.

You can listen to Shammo's comments here; the part about unlimited plans ending begins around the 10 minute mark.

A Verizon spokesperson declined to expand when asked to confirm Shammo's statement regarding the axing of unlimited plans. "We don’t have anything to add to our CFO’s comments," the rep said in an email to HuffPost.

As PhoneArena points out, this is good news for small businesses and families (depending on how expensive the new data share plans are). It's also potentially good news for smartphone owners who also have 4G tablets, who would no longer have to buy a separate data plan for their tabs. All of this depends on the pricing of these data share plans, however, which Verizon has yet to outline.

Though Verizon would not comment on exactly when those grandfathered unlimited data plans will disappear, the move has seemed inevitable for some time now. Verizon has been cutting down on heavy users of unlimited data, throttling the speeds of the top five percent of unlimited data users. A Verizon spokesperson declined to comment on when those unlimited plans will disappear.

Shammo did give a hint in his speech, indicating that when grandfathered customers upgrade from 3G phones (like the iPhone) to 4G LTE phones (like any Android phone, or perhaps the next-generation iPhone), they could be forced to abandon their unlimited plans for a data share plan.

That would mean that only Sprint and AT&T offered unlimited data plans: Sprint to new customers, and AT&T to those subscribers grandfathered in. AT&T, like Verizon, killed off unlimited data for new customers in 2011.

The big question that remains is when the end of unlimited data at Verizon for grandfathered customers will take effect. We'll update you when we get official word from the carrier.

Originally Posted by Executive76

30t6p3b.gif

A Verizon exec has announced that the company plans to do away with its unlimited data plans for grandfathered customers in favor of new tiered "data share" plans, effectively killing off the final unlimited plans at the nation's largest mobile carrier.

As first reported by FierceWireless, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo told a crowd at J.P. Morgan's Technology, Media and Telecom conference in Boston that eventually the company would force all of its current unlimited users over to data sharing, a new kind of "family" plan which launches on Verizon in the summer and allows members of a family to share a set amount of data across all of their devices. In other words, rather than paying for data by the device, a family could purchase, say, 100GB of data per month that everyone on the plan would be able to share. So if Mom uses 80GB of data, and Dad uses 2GB of data, and Little Jimmy uses 16GB of data, it doesn't matter -- you're just paying for that 100GB of data across all of your devices (smartphones, tablets, netbooks, smart refrigerators, whatever).

Though Verizon ended unlimited data for new customers in July 2011, America's largest wireless carrier allowed its old customers to keep their unlimited plans so long as they stuck with the company. That's ending: "Everyone will be on data share," FierceWireless has quoted Shammo as saying.

You can listen to Shammo's comments here; the part about unlimited plans ending begins around the 10 minute mark.

A Verizon spokesperson declined to expand when asked to confirm Shammo's statement regarding the axing of unlimited plans. "We don’t have anything to add to our CFO’s comments," the rep said in an email to HuffPost.

As PhoneArena points out, this is good news for small businesses and families (depending on how expensive the new data share plans are). It's also potentially good news for smartphone owners who also have 4G tablets, who would no longer have to buy a separate data plan for their tabs. All of this depends on the pricing of these data share plans, however, which Verizon has yet to outline.

Though Verizon would not comment on exactly when those grandfathered unlimited data plans will disappear, the move has seemed inevitable for some time now. Verizon has been cutting down on heavy users of unlimited data, throttling the speeds of the top five percent of unlimited data users. A Verizon spokesperson declined to comment on when those unlimited plans will disappear.

Shammo did give a hint in his speech, indicating that when grandfathered customers upgrade from 3G phones (like the iPhone) to 4G LTE phones (like any Android phone, or perhaps the next-generation iPhone), they could be forced to abandon their unlimited plans for a data share plan.

That would mean that only Sprint and AT&T offered unlimited data plans: Sprint to new customers, and AT&T to those subscribers grandfathered in. AT&T, like Verizon, killed off unlimited data for new customers in 2011.

The big question that remains is when the end of unlimited data at Verizon for grandfathered customers will take effect. We'll update you when we get official word from the carrier.

I have been giving my money to them for the past 6+ ...no reason to stick with them now
grin.gif

Originally Posted by gil23

30t6p3b.gif

I have been giving my money to them for the past 6+ ...no reason to stick with them now
grin.gif

but what carrier is the better option nowadays?

^I knew they will find away to get rid of unlimited data users, when the iphone 4 came out for Verizon was giving out unlimited data plans for short period of time till they went tiered. Since the iphone is Verizon top selling 3G device anyone with a 3G iphone with a unlimited data plan they will be forced into a tiered once a LTE iphone comes out, same goes for any Android 3G devices too. If you have 3G device with a unlimited data plan you might want to start getting a 4G device asap.

sprint aint that bad.

their network is kinda slow compared to verizon but i like the feeling of being unlimited

I am taking back the white One X today and switching it for the Glamour Grey one. Something about this white just doesnt do it for me.
Edit: The grey definitely looks nicer IMO 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

311l62q.jpg

yeah that looks clean like a og nexus but newer ^
pimp.gif

people who flash a lot and use google music, it registers per flash and goes up to 10 and only lets you deactive 4 per year now smh...i got stuck at 10 the other day but was able to take all 10 off before the new rules went up...so i guess if you flash a lot don't load google music till ur sure ur gonna stick with the rom

Does ATT offer Prepaid Tablet plans? Like if I copped an unlocked tablet. I know Tmobile does but the tablet would be 2g only smh

Been using the Galaxy Note for a Month 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
...don't think i'm going back to small screen ..dat 5 inch screen is just pure sex!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
...patiently waiting for AT&T ICS update, but no rush really cuz gingerbread is still butta smoooth imo....

Originally Posted by odog24

sprint aint that bad.

their network is kinda slow compared to verizon but i like the feeling of being unlimited

Once they get rid of that or, more importantly, they take away my employee discount for a company I have never worked for, I'm goin' prepaid.  The plans, service, and phones seem to be getting better and better...worth it if I can cut my bill in half and still have a decent phone.
Hurry up and announce the SG3 for sprint...

Originally Posted by sreggie101

Originally Posted by gil23

30t6p3b.gif

grin.gif

but what carrier is the better option nowadays?

This is why I'm going the prepaid route.  Pay 1/2 the price I'm already paying & use the other 1/2 I was paying for mobile wifi device.  Don't give a %@!+ about a data cap if I'm not on your data in the first place.  People have been tricked into thinking that a subsidized phone is a deal when you're just selling your rights away for 2 years.  It was one thing when all the prepaid joints were Tracfones & burners but now that you can get the exact same performance from the mobile networks and get it on a smartphone, and drop the carrier whenever you deem, it seems a no-brainer for me.

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

Damn I feel like the original EVO 4G is still leagues better than the latest iPhone

laugh.gif
really?
That Evo has the most %!%% ups out of every phone I've owned, damn that phone.

I unlocked the bootloader on the GNex, rooted it, tried to flash a ROM and nearly bricked it in the process. 
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by NICKLE DIME BAY

I am taking back the white One X today and switching it for the Glamour Grey one. Something about this white just doesnt do it for me.
Edit: The grey definitely looks nicer IMO 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

311l62q.jpg
Looks good in grey. I always get dark colored phones so I opted for the white. 
Both are sexy imo.  
devil.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Nike Jordan

I unlocked the bootloader on the GNex, rooted it, tried to flash a ROM and nearly bricked it in the process. 
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Sometimes that happens when the zip file for the Rom you downloaded was slightly corrupted/didnt download all the way.  Try downloading the rom file again.  Good thing about the Nexus is its almost impossible to get a hard brick.  Anything goes wrong, just flash the stock image using the Galaxy Nexus toolkit http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392310

Back
Top Bottom