Was being against going to college the new thing to do in 2011?

I went. Didn't graduate.

I make more than 90% of my peers with degrees so...like it was said before...it isn't for everybody.

Short run college is the terrible choice...

Long Run No college is the terrible choice..

i agree college isn't for everyone... but i laugh when people that didn't go to college compare themselves to rich people that also didn't go like bill gates or kanye... those guys are the exception...on another note, college does help a lot... i know some friends and family that complain they cant get promoted in their jobs because they don't have a degree... its like once they reach that peak that's it... at least in their company... with that being said i don't regret going to college even though i don't have a great career to show for it... i do regret going to an expensive college though 
laugh.gif

I agree with the notion that college IS a business.

but like any other business, invest wisely, and you get what you put into it.

spending 25k+ a year BLINDLY and being in debt for life just for a BA in Liberal Studies would not be my idea of a wise investment...unless you have some plan of attack post grad, then more power to you.

College has benefited me greatly and I have no regrets of going. I had a job lined up for me before I graduated, but I do wish I would have network better.

for those that have graduated, or are about to graduate, if you could start all over would you do it again? what would you do differently?

I would have majored in Engineering. I didn't know initially that law schools (and many graduate programs, for that matter) don't give a @%@+ about what you majored in, only that you worked hard, earned good marks, and have a favorable reputation with your professors. With a more practically applicable degree (right out of undergrad) like Engineering, I could have gotten a decent job while waiting to start law school, rather than be grinding it out where I am at currently. All things considered, it's not that big of a deal as I'm off to graduate school soon anyway, but it's always nice to have an "in-demand" four-year degree as opposed to one that only teaches you general analytics (political science). 
I would have also partied less and studied more, but that goes without saying 
laugh.gif

not all of us have scholarships b

I would get no financial aid if I go to a CC. My income isn't low enough. 

My grants at a university wouldn't even cover books so fall back. 

I'm not sure what state you live in/are planning on attending college in, but I was in a similar situation when considering whether or not I should go to college. Considering all federal scholarship funds, grant funds, and loan considerations are based off of your parents annual income until you are 24 (or in graduate school), my income wasn't even close to what you would need in order to obtain any significant amount of grant money. Not to cover books, in the least.
What you have to consider is, is becoming successful in life pursuant some degree focus really something that you want to do? Do you want to become a doctor? A lawyer? An engineer? A PR executive? A sports agent? A Fortune 500 CEO? While it's certainly not guaranteed that you will become any of these things with a four-year degree, you will assuredly need one in order to consider yourself in the running. If it's really what you want, you'll do whatever necessary to make that vision a reality.

My senior year of high school, I filled out close to 200 scholarship applications, most with their own essays that I had to write. Yes, 200. That may even be a modest estimate. I finally got one –– only one –– and, coupled with a small amount of federal loans that I was able to take out in my own name along with the default award for California grant funds, I was able to fully fund my college education on my own.

If I didn't get that scholarship, I would have gone to community college for two years, and applied to 400 more scholarships. I would have worked a part-time job to cover what tuition/book expenses were remaining after I received the meager amount of state grants that nearly every student is entitled to. Then, after two years, I would have transferred to a school within the UC system to finish up my four-year degree. I'm not sure about other states, but in California, as long as you maintain a respectable GPA at your community college for two-years, its nearly a guaranteed transfer to a UC school thereafter.

In all, what I'm trying to say is that where there is a will there is a way, and if going to college is what you want to do, then you will figure out some way to do it. So long as you put in the work, many things are possible. Making excuses based off what you can and can't do due to your parents income will only take you so far in life. Not to say that is what you are doing, but I know how it goes when the buck stops and @%@+ gets real. Go out there and get it bruh. Good luck! 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by FEELLEAL

College has benefited me greatly and I have no regrets of going. I had a job lined up for me before I graduated, but I do wish I would have network better.

any tips to network better for jobs in college?

Originally Posted by freshKRN

Originally Posted by FEELLEAL

any tips to network better for jobs in college?
Join clubs, assume leadership positions. Find internships. Hang out with motivated people. 

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

for those that have graduated, or are about to graduate, if you could start all over would you do it again? what would you do differently?
I would have majored in Engineering. I didn't know initially that law schools (and many graduate programs, for that matter) don't give a @%@+ about what you majored in, only that you worked hard, earned good marks, and have a favorable reputation with your professors. With a more practically applicable degree (right out of undergrad) like Engineering, I could have gotten a decent job while waiting to start law school, rather than be grinding it out where I am at currently. All things considered, it's not that big of a deal as I'm off to graduate school soon anyway, but it's always nice to have an "in-demand" four-year degree as opposed to one that only teaches you general analytics (political science). 
I would have also partied less and studied more, but that goes without saying 
laugh.gif

not all of us have scholarships b

I would get no financial aid if I go to a CC. My income isn't low enough. 

I'm not sure what state you live in/are planning on attending college in, but I was in a similar situation when considering whether or not I should go to college. Considering all federal scholarship funds, grant funds, and loan considerations are based off of your parents annual income until you are 24 (or in graduate school), my income wasn't even close to what you would need in order to obtain any significant amount of grant money. Not to cover books, in the least.
What you have to consider is, is becoming successful in life pursuant some degree focus really something that you want to do? Do you want to become a doctor? A lawyer? An engineer? A PR executive? A sports agent? A Fortune 500 CEO? While it's certainly not guaranteed that you will become any of these things with a four-year degree, you will assuredly need one in order to consider yourself in the running. If it's really what you want, you'll do whatever necessary to make that vision a reality.

My senior year of high school, I filled out close to 200 scholarship applications, most with their own essays that I had to write. Yes, 200. That may even be a modest estimate. I finally got one –– only one –– and, coupled with a small amount of federal loans that I was able to take out in my own name along with the default award for California grant funds, I was able to fully fund my college education on my own.

If I didn't get that scholarship, I would have gone to community college for two years, and applied to 400 more scholarships. I would have worked a part-time job to cover what tuition/book expenses were remaining after I received the meager amount of state grants that nearly every student is entitled to. Then, after two years, I would have transferred to a school within the UC system to finish up my four-year degree. I'm not sure about other states, but in California, as long as you maintain a respectable GPA at your community college for two-years, its nearly a guaranteed transfer to a UC school thereafter.

In all, what I'm trying to say is that where there is a will there is a way, and if going to college is what you want to do, then you will figure out some way to do it. So long as you put in the work, many things are possible. Making excuses based off what you can and can't do due to your parents income will only take you so far in life. Not to say that is what you are doing, but I know how it goes when the buck stops and @%@+ gets real. Go out there and get it bruh. Good luck! 
pimp.gif

good advice. thanks

Originally Posted by sircharles2ol3

I'm taking the whole year off from college.. I work security, it's not a career but it's not bad for the time being.. Too much money and right now, with certain things going on in my life.. I can't focus on school.. Next fall i plan to go back though. \_("/)_/

first of all,
laugh.gif
at people taking best hands in the game, I mean megatron seriously.
roll.gif

I'm a junior in high school and I don't find college stupid, I find the idea of going to a 4 year university that costs over 30K semester or quarter stupid and irresponsible, unless you have a full scholarship or a family that can put you through it. Especially when people are majoring in stupid things that won't lead them to jobs.
my grades aren't all that good to get into one of those great universities but in all honesty none of those are even super appealing. I'd much rather go to a CSU over a UC.
my final personal stance on it. If I have to take out thousands of dollars in student loans, I'm not going.

btw megatron, hows your kid doing? And did you ever end up getting recruited or drafted or whatever it was for wide receiver?

I attend a private university in texas, family is helping me through it but i also have loans....im about $25K deep in loans when i graduate this may....it will be so much more once i graduate from grad school

it will be all worth it though......i know it will
pimp.gif

I'm glad I went to college, I was able to get a semi college experience, I dormed my first year cause I was playing baseball then got hurt and it was all over. I'm a little jealous of my friends who went to out of state schools but most of them now aren't even working in the field they want. I'd definitely do it again but try and network some more.

Originally Posted by SoVerSoTowel

im suppose to be going this semester.

but i really have no idea what to major in.
30t6p3b.gif

any ideas?

Narrow your field of interest down to 2-3, business, health services, anything that you think you would enjoy/will provide a suitable income for your needs.  from there, make a few calls, try and find some shadowing positions, internships, let them know that you're interested in the field and just want experience/exposure.  when it comes down to it, the people you intern/shadow could turn into some awesome recommendation letters 
pimp.gif

from there, figure out which major fits the career path you want to pursue.  always stay in touch and feel free to talk to your counselors, they've heard tons of stories and conflicts from your peers and could provide quality solutions to your questions.

like anything in life, college is what you make of it and how you utilize it.  coming from UT, the college experience is AMAZING, but don't lose sight of why you're there.  find a healthy balance between studying and your extracurriculars

all the kids complaining either don't have their priorities/goals straight or graduated college with a poor GPA and zero networks wondering why they don't have a job.

I think it was more so a protest against the "traditional" method of obtainin more education w/o havin an alternative. Ppl crap on CCs but they def can help u save money and get u in the right direction.

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

first of all,
laugh.gif
at people taking best hands in the game, I mean megatron seriously.
roll.gif

I'm a junior in high school and I don't find college stupid, I find the idea of going to a 4 year university that costs over 30K semester or quarter stupid and irresponsible, unless you have a full scholarship or a family that can put you through it. Especially when people are majoring in stupid things that won't lead them to jobs.
my grades aren't all that good to get into one of those great universities but in all honesty none of those are even super appealing. I'd much rather go to a CSU over a UC.
my final personal stance on it. If I have to take out thousands of dollars in student loans, I'm not going.

Just go to USC and call it a lifetime.

Nah but seriously, yeah being in debt isn't a good idea.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

Originally Posted by megatron

I don't wanna go to a CC though.
I don't know what kind of cars they bought with their refund checks, but I would get no financial aid if I go to a CC. My income isn't low enough.

Life isnt about what you want, its about what you need, and you need a degree. 
Since you're income is so high you cant get grants, then that means u can afford school.

And there is such thing as loans, when u get in your career you can pay them back.

Maybe you could get a job and go to school.

Do what you want

I really can not tell if he is trolling or being serious. He's like the boy who cried wolf.
he's not trolling. (this time)

I think some of you are missing the point that a lot of Americans are dealing with now. I was lucky enough to have my parents be able to pay for my schooling for all seven years that I needed to go, and with that I was able to get a job, mostly due to nepotism. I worked hard, and I am qualified, but in reality, I have had a leg up on many other people who have worked as hard or harder than I have. For a lot jobs it is becoming more of a requirement for the candidate to be a college graduate, and the fact that tuition prices are forever rising, some people are being priced out of having a fair chance. Then if you choose to have a loan, many are looking at a bleak job market, and are possibly faced with the chance of not being able to find a job in their desired field, or not finding a job that will be able to pay them enough to live while paying off the giant loan.

With the ebb and flow of the volume of work, I am frequently in need of temporary workers to do data entry and filing duties, and at the moment, I have six temps that are working now that are all college graduates and they are basically completing rudimentary tasks for about $13/hr. In a couple months when we are caught up, we will let them go, and a few months after that, we will continue the revolving door of seeing overqualified people be underpaid for tasks that they may or may not have gone to college to do. Earlier this year, I had the company lay a girl off because they basically had her collating papers after she was near the top of her school which was one of the top private universities in the nation. I felt horrible that we had this girl making no money, being appropriated a horrible task, after she did everything the supposed, "correct way".

Back
Top Bottom