WAS KOBE THIS POLISHED IN HIGH SCHOOL???OH MY WOW!!! (ANDREW WIGGINS 6'7 )... PLUS CHRIS WEBBER 2.0

[COLOR=#red]Not sure about a different level. I'd say close enough that it's at least a discussion...the nature of sports allows for debate and argument. I distinctly remember dudes doubting LBJ and even at one time saying Carmelo was better after Syracuse won the NCAA's that year.

This guy has success written all over him...the game, the demeanor, the athleticism, the size, the killer instinct. He'd be able to get off in the pro's right now. All y'all are focusing on is the spin move...I see a good jab step, a nice drive-to stop and pull up. Good elevation on the jumper, and pretty good defensive instinct.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]Not sure about a different level. I'd say close enough that it's at least a discussion...the nature of sports allows for debate and argument. I distinctly remember dudes doubting LBJ and even at one time saying Carmelo was better after Syracuse won the NCAA's that year.
This guy has success written all over him...the game, the demeanor, the athleticism, the size, the killer instinct. He'd be able to get off in the pro's right now. All y'all are focusing on is the spin move...I see a good jab step, a nice drive-to stop and pull up. Good elevation on the jumper, and pretty good defensive instinct.[/COLOR]

no he wouldn't. the thing about playing vs. pros is they have the size, length, strength and quickness to stay with him AND they will force him into tough shots. They will know that spin move is coming. They will realize what he can't do and make him do that. Thats the nature of pro basketball or just any high level defender/player. He could get a check in the NBA right now but he couldn't "get off". Sorry I can't allow that.

Even KD had to learn the pro game. These elite guys aren't used to passing out double teams or even making the right decision when help defense comes. On the HS level he just out jumps the defender and the help defender :lol: he also can shoot a bad shot and just clean up the offensive board. That doesn't happen in the league. HIs offensive game isn't that advanced to where he has an array of moves and shots.

He WILL be great in the league and I'm not disagreeing with you on that. But you are giving him too much credit right now EDW.

[COLOR=#red]

Yep, the main things that jumped out to me, granted, he's bigger, stronger and faster than all of his competition, he has a strong foundation. And it's a highlight tape, it's supposed to be flashy, hence all dunks and spin moves and blocks.

no he wouldn't. the thing about playing vs. pros is they have the size, length, strength and quickness to stay with him AND they will force him into tough shots. They will know that spin move is coming. They will realize what he can't do and make him do that. Thats the nature of pro basketball or just any high level defender/player. He could get a check in the NBA right now but he couldn't "get off". Sorry I can't allow that.
Even KD had to learn the pro game. These elite guys aren't used to passing out double teams or even making the right decision when help defense comes. On the HS level he just out jumps the defender and the help defender :lol: he also can shoot a bad shot and just clean up the offensive board. That doesn't happen in the league. HIs offensive game isn't that advanced to where he has an array of moves and shots.
He WILL be great in the league and I'm not disagreeing with you on that. But you are giving him too much credit right now EDW.

[COLOR=#red]Dude he could totally get that shot off in the league RIGHT NOW. Dude I have played against pros and could get my shot off at anytime. To be honest it's easier for me to play with pros than weekend warriors because EVERYONE must be guarded when playing with pros and they keep the proper spacing. It's not about pro or amateur, it's about knowing what works and what doesn't.

And I don't name drop nearly as often as I could, I practically cut my teeth playing with or against NBA and future NBA hoopers. That's how I can make the assessments about his game would translate[/COLOR]

The only thing that has me like :wow: is that some sites have his a NBA comparison listed as Scottie Pippen i see the defensive potential there but i don't see the playmaking

That Wiggins kid is nowhere close to the level Kobe was at in HS.

People forget that Kobe broke Wilt's HS records in the state of Pennsylvania.

I say Kobe live in at the 96 NBA summer league at the Long Beach Pyramid and dude even then was just a crazy beast already back then.

Wiggins looks more like OJ Mayo coming out of HS.He isn't getting away with those crossovers and getting those flashy dunks at the college or NBA level.

Wiggins LOOKS nothing like Mayo in High School. What are you talking about? What similarities do they possess? OJ was a polished offensive scorer and very good shooter. Wiggins is an elite athlete, cut from a completely different cloth as OJ Mayo.
Yea, he's a longer, much more athletic OJ Mayo.

In other words, he's not OJ Mayo at all.

Last edited:
Kobe had the fundamental mechanics down as well as improvisation of those moves. This dude looks like he does the same practiced moves like the spin move to his left side. Dude is skilled and athletic but does not seem to have that skilled freestyle Kobe had. His handles are not close to Kobe's at that age either.

[COLOR=#red]Dude he could totally get that shot off in the league RIGHT NOW. Dude I have played against pros and could get my shot off at anytime. To be honest it's easier for me to play with pros than weekend warriors because EVERYONE must be guarded when playing with pros and they keep the proper spacing. It's not about pro or amateur, it's about knowing what works and what doesn't.
And I don't name drop nearly as often as I could, I practically cut my teeth playing with or against NBA and future NBA hoopers. That's how I can make the assessments about his game would translate[/COLOR]

Fluid hips :smokin

People overrate things like polish and hitting hard jumpers over much more important things. Kobe is the most skilled player ever but is still a stupid player at times. Wiggins plays with a Bron like IQ and awareness. He is an amazing defender who should be able to guard 1-4 in the league. He is a better, rebounder and defender than Kobe was at this point.

That is more important than OJ Mayo's polish...Or whatever the hell you want to call bum juice.

Yall love evaluating talent mad early and making comparisons.
Like someone said earlier it's impossible to compare them Kobe's life and times were different than Wiggins
Just let him play out his career and we'll see if he has what it takes to become elite.
He's ill but how many kids have dominated and high school and completely feel off the map for a myriad of reasons?
Look forward to watching him play for Kentucky though :lol:

Last edited:
Like someone said earlier it's impossible to compare them Kobe's life and times were different than Wiggins
Just let him play out his career and we'll see if he has what it takes to become elite.
He's ill but how many kids have dominated and high school and completely feel off the map for a myriad of reasons?

How many kids considered #1 overall in HS regardless of class since they were 15 and fell off the map?

I can't think of any.

This is not Korleone Young or Major Wingate we're talking about. This is a kid who NBA GM's have come out and said he had wen't top 5 if he came out last year. We haven't seen someone w/ this much of a stronghold over the rest of their peers since Lebron.

In the land of one of dones...at what point do we "let him play out his career and see if he has what it takes to become elite"? He's 16...and likely reclassifying which means he'll be in college year after next. He'll be in the NBA in 3 years. I'd say now was certainly a good time.

It's the nature of today's game. Evaluating 11 year olds might be a reach. 16/17 year olds? The elite ones will likely be in the NBA at least 3 years.

Last edited:

How many kids considered #1 overall in HS regardless of class since they were 15 and fell off the map?

I can't think of any.

Not sure but i heard Ronnie Fields was top 10 in high school at that age and he fell off, I see there is tremendous hype on this kid and i'm sure thats never really a positive, I feel whenever he comes out he basically guaranteed the number one draft pick, but I'm saying anything can happen between now and then

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Fields "fell off"

He almost died, not like the talent in his class eventually overtook him

Not sure but i heard Ronnie Fields was top 10 in high school at that age and he fell off, I see there is tremendous hype on this kid and i'm sure thats never really a positive, I feel whenever he comes out he basically guaranteed the number one draft pick, but I'm saying anything can happen between now and then

Ok...pending a near death car accident...how many dudes of THIS caliber end up disappearing?

Ok...pending a near death car accident...how many dudes of THIS caliber end up disappearing?

alright true I'm really eager to watch kids NBA career in a few years but yea i guess your right

:lol:

Brown was consistently rated as the "best high school player" in his class, which also included high school standouts Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler. He was the high school player of the year as a senior in Georgia. Brown finished his high school career at the historic Glynn Academy (in Brunswick, Georgia) as the school's all-time leading rebounder (1,235) and shot-blocker (605), and also finished second all-time as a scorer and he was named to the 2001 McDonald's All-American Team.

Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Brown

He still in the league but barely and fell off as hard any player can.He's only still in the league because of his size.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom