Was Roy Williams in the right or in the wrong for wearing the Jayhawk sticker last night?

Obviously, this is a hot topic on TV and radio....

Here is Roy Williams, UNC Coach, at last night's Nat'l Championship game...sitting amongst the Kansas fans...if you didn't know, he coached atKansas for about 15 years.

roywilliams.jpg

Personally, I don't agree with Roy sporting the sticker. I think he could have shown his support in a more subtle way rather than sitting in the standswith all the Kansas fans, alums, and former players. It may have seemed like a good gesture, but I don't think it was a good look on Roy's behalf.Especially since Kansas is the team that demolished UNC 2 nights before. Roy could have gotten a box seat, or watched from home or his hotel room. To me, itseems like there were other options he could have chosen rather than blatantly showing his support for another school which was battling for the same prize asyour current employer.

It's wrong.

The only way it would be ok....if those were the kids he recruited, but they're not.

I mean, if I was on the UNC B-Ball team, I would be PISSED.

People on the radio were saying that Tyler Hansbrough looked heated even while accepting his Naismith Award...then the next night he has to see his coachwhoopin' it up along with the rest of the Jayhawks faithful? When you switch jobs, you change your loyalties as well. The fact that UNC lost to Kansas 2days before is just making matters worse. Roy should have cheered in private. He's got a lot of explaining to do to his returning players.

YO! Roy's obviously conflicted. It's been obvious before he took the job. I, personally, am on the fence about it because I respect the man. Heain't hurting me (or "us") by my estimation. We're reloaded for the next 3 years. But I certainly understand how fans of both programs, andmost definitely neutral parties, would be confused by his actions.

Let me edit: I don't think he has to explain a DAMN thing. He goes as he chooses. And I don't agree with his loyalties switch; at least not how I takeyou to mean it. In my heart of hearts, I don't believe Roy gave it any less his all Saturday night. As I don't believe he gave the Nat'l Title Gameagainst 'Cuse any less because the Carolina job was vacant. I can tell you, as a fan - had that been Davidson that Carolina played. And Carolina lost, Iwould've been draped in Wildcats apparel. DF!!!

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I mean, if I was on the UNC B-Ball team, I would be PISSED.

People on the radio were saying that Tyler Hansbrough looked heated even while accepting his Naismith Award...then the next night he has to see his coach whoopin' it up along with the rest of the Jayhawks faithful? When you switch jobs, you change your loyalties as well. The fact that UNC lost to Kansas 2 days before is just making matters worse. Roy should have cheered in private. He's got a lot of explaining to do to his returning players.

Pretty much sums it up right there...

What message does that send to incoming recruits?

I don't see it quite that way. 15 years is a long time and Kansas is where he got the opportunity to coach at UNC. If I worked for say Memphis and Texasended up in the Championship game you better believe I'd be wearing burnt orange proudly. Maybe that's a different situation, who knows. He had a lotof years and friends at KU, you can't expect him to just throw that away because he took another job. That's my feeling on it.

Confusion about his choice? Ehh maybe.
Total hate or disrespect? Never.

As a player on the team I could understand feeling that way, but anyone else, not really.

YO! You cats are buggin'... and I find it funnier, that at this point I'm the only Carolina fan in here. Yet you dudes seem to be upset? What the hellyou care?
tired.gif
DF!!!

The more I think about it, the more I respect him for doing it.

He loves both programs and I have no problem with that. He spent a long time in Kansas and he was a great coach, there's no reason why he can't rootfor them.

So much of college basketball and sports in general is about being fake, about being politically correct on tv, about promising things to players to get themto commit. What Roy did was a true act that had no politicking. He knows people will be upset about it and knows it might hurt him with recruits but he is whohe is and I respect someone who will do that despite the ramifications.

And you know what, the people who matter in his profession - his players, his employers, his fans, his recruits - he can explain his reasons and they can takeit or leave it. They can call him a traitor or whatever name they want but at least they know that Roy is being honest and upfront. Those are qualities I wouldwant in a coach.

In the end he's just rooting for a school he cares about that, if you can't see beyond that then that's where the problem lies in sports.

I don't think it's that big of a deal but if dude was rocking a Duke sticker then there'd definitely be some problems.

i don't think he was wrong for what he did. however, he should've spent a little more time thinking about the rammifications of his actions, knowingfull well he was about to piss a lot of people off. i do not think he intended to make anyone mad, but i'm sure he knew there were going to be peopleseeing what he did as insensitive.

^Basically. I understand the situation and how you feel his "loyalties" have to change but let the man live. Personally, I think his"priorities" need to change, not necessarily his "loyalties." And I'm sure that UNC comes first on that list but he obviously still hasa lot of pride for his former team. Is that so wrong? Granted, I don't agree with it, and it probably wasn't his best choice, but it's not likethere's some sort of controversy surrounding the UNC/Kansas game. I just think people look way too into things sometimes.

What about when Iverson came out and kissed center court? Was there an issue with that?

Doesn't matter to me, but his players have a right to question him about it. He still cares about Kansas obviously, but thats natural. He has done his bestat UNC and given them his all, and won a title there. It doesn't mean he doesn't care about UNC, it just means he still supports Kansas as long as theyare not playing UNC. Just because he lost to them, it doesn't mean from then on he has to hide his feelings for the place that got his career to where itis now.

If he wore a Kansas sticker during there loss in the Final Four, it would be a big deal. This is not.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Not that big of a deal. Lebron and Yanks all over.

Not even remotely close...
I know because Lebron is supposed to be the face of the city, and Roy is just the coach at UNC
tired.gif

Who cares I'm an UNC fan and it didn't bother me. He's been on record in saying that Kansas is his second favorite school, so who cares

how is it a big deal...dude spent a helluva part of his life there...of course he still has ties and loyalities....i mean i hate roy williams but no need tomake a big deal for somethin so trivial

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO! You cats are buggin'... and I find it funnier, that at this point I'm the only Carolina fan in here. Yet you dudes seem to be upset? What the hell you care?
tired.gif
DF!!!

Personally I don't give a crap either way, but it's funny too that you and the other Carolina fan in here aren't upset. Of course right.

Back
Top Bottom