Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think Martell Webster's deal is bad then check Tiago Splitter's new 5 year $45 million contract. 
laugh.gif
 Plus the fact the Wiz have given money to players who haven't even performed on the court in the recent past makes this deal fully justifiable. 

Last edited:
Since we like to compare deals on here.

Mike Dunleavy just got 6 million over 2 years from a playoff team.

Martell Webster got 4 years and 24 million from a non playoff team.

Look at their numbers from last season...and then tell me with a straight face that the Martell deal doesn't make you cringe a little.
Who was going to give him $22 million?
Exactly.

Last edited:
"It's a deal we had to make." - certain Wiz fan who claims that about every Wiz deal

Horrible contract, wings are plentiful in the NBA and to be had for cheap...Plus, wasn't the point of drafting Otto to let him take his lumps and go from the get-go. And you still have Ariza as well. Dumb move :smh:

Since we like to compare deals on here.

Mike Dunleavy just got 6 million over 2 years from a playoff team.

Martell Webster got 4 years and 24 million from a non playoff team.

Look at their numbers from last season...and then tell me with a straight face that the Martell deal doesn't make you cringe a little.
Who was going to give him $22 million?
Exactly.
I only pointed it out since both deals happened today. The playoff/non playoff argument is irrelevant since the Bucks will most likely lose Ellis and could lose Jennings as well.  Without just one of them, their playoff chances take a significant hit. And considering that they were a sub .500 team that made the eighth seed the Wizards could very well move into that seed with the roster they have currently.  You also have to remember that this is the last year of John Wall's contract and it is clearly in the best interest of the team to build around him and make moves that ensures he stays.  One of his wishes were more players who could stretch the floor and Martell Webster was one of the league leaders in 3 point percentage last year.  Their numbers are comparable, but Webster is more multidimensional and can drive and finish with a dunk more often than Dunleavy would and is a better defensive player on top of that.  I never said it was a great deal, just not as bad as people are making it out to be.  That's a good point PMatic.

Last edited:
All management has to do is offer John Wall a five year extension, he'll shut up and play.

Last edited:
I only pointed it out since both deals happened today. The playoff/non playoff argument is irrelevant since the Bucks will most likely lose Ellis and could lose Jennings as well.  Without just one of them, their playoff chances take a significant hit. And considering that they were a sub .500 team that made the eighth seed the Wizards could very well move into that seed with the roster they have currently.  You also have to remember that this is the last year of John Wall's contract and it is clearly in the best interest of the team to build around him and make moves that ensures he stays.  One of his wishes were more players who could stretch the floor and Martell Webster was one of the league leaders in 3 point percentage last year.  Their numbers are comparable, but Webster is more multidimensional and can drive and finish with a dunk more often than Dunleavy would and is a better defensive player on top of that.  I never said it was a great deal, just not as bad as people are making it out to be.  That's a good point PMatic.
Ok.

I'm referring to the Chicago Bulls...which is who Dunleavy just signed with.

Ok.

I'm referring to the Chicago Bulls...which is who Dunleavy just signed with.
My fault I thought Milwaukee resigned him. 
embarassed.gif
 The second half still applies.

All management has to do is offer John Wall a five year extension, he'll shut up and play.
Hopefully.  I'm thinking the Webster deal helps to ensure he stays, it's not looking like the Wiz will be able to pick up that stretch PF, unless these Jamison talks grow serious.

I seriously doubt the future of John Wall in DC hinged on the re-signing of Martell Webster.
Hopefully.  I'm thinking the Webster deal helps to ensure he stays, it's not looking like the Wiz will be able to pick up that stretch PF, unless these Jamison talks grow serious.
Where did I ever say hinged? John Wall wanted more stretch players --> one of the league leaders in 3 point percentage was resigned. You can't deny there's absolutely no correlation. 

Last edited:
When did John Wall make a comment about wanting more "stretch" players?

He said the team needed a 4 that can pick and pop.

Martell Webster ain't impacting nobody decisions except for Martell Webster
When did John Wall make a comment about wanting more "stretch" players?

He said the team needed a 4 that can pick and pop.
Which basically means stretching the floor. Most of the articles featuring the quote have the word "stretch" specifically in the title, you're mincing words now.  He'll be using the exact word "stretch" with the only 3 point shooters being Beal and Rice Jr. (not sure how Porter will transition yet) in your proposed roster.  Just for the sake of how good the team is this year and filling a gap from behind the arc, Webster is a good fit. In b4 you mention how Webster is a 3 when in reality the Wiz just need players who can consistently make a long range (long 2 or 3) jump shot regardless if they are a 4 or not.

Last edited:
I'm not mincing anything 
laugh.gif

I'm just trying to figure out how him LITERALLY saying "we need a pick and pop 4" translates to "we need stretch players".

He never said anything about playerS. 

He was clearly referring to Anthony Bennett when everyone thought he was a possibility 

Last edited:
I'm not mincing anything 
laugh.gif

I'm just trying to figure out how him LITERALLY saying "we need a pick and pop 4" translates to "we need stretch players".

He never said anything about playerS. 

He was clearly referring to Anthony Bennett when everyone thought he was a possibility
When someone is a pick and pop 4, they are a player like Kevin Garnett or Chris Bosh who both have great long two point jump shots. This is called "stretching the floor." Again, going back to your proposed roster without Webster, the Wizards have very few players capable of hitting these long two point jump shots that John Wall was literally referring to and in addition there is a lack of players capable from the perimeter as well.  While John may not have literally have said that part, it would be a concern once the season was under way had the Wizards not addressed it with this signing.  I don't mean this in any condescending way at all, I'm just breaking down to the basics.  I do agree it was pricey and I never said it was a great deal, but the need was addressed.  What I was saying in my original post that you disagreed with was: 1. That there were worse signings this offseason 2. The Wizards are addressing needs which is a step for them when you look back on other signings they have made of less deserving players.  Both of those are valid points.

Last edited:
Ok...I'll be the first to say it. I like Martell but...5 and half mil a year?

To give that to someone who plays a position that you just spent a top 3 pick on is kind of backwards.

They could have spent less and bought in a 4 or 5.
You are right we over paid for this... He didn't even finish last season. And at the end of the day he is just a role player that may have just had a decent season in a contract year

"It's a deal we had to make." - certain Wiz fan who claims that about every Wiz deal

Horrible contract, wings are plentiful in the NBA and to be had for cheap...Plus, wasn't the point of drafting Otto to let him take his lumps and go from the get-go. And you still have Ariza as well. Dumb move :smh:

This bamma #Knickscape just mad he gets to watch Bargnani get 3 boards per night and also the fact that he'll have a Detox album in his hand by the next time the Knicks draft a player. I don't even know why I'm saying this to you...you the same dude who renounced his "fandom" to the Knicks and jumped over to the Nets. You turnover more than a waffle iron.

Anyways....is the contract risky? Sure. But it WAS a deal they had to make. Re-signing Webster was the Wizards top priority this off-season.

You draft Otto, have him learn from Martell, and slide him into the starting role (hopefully) by the end of the season.

Who cares if we have Ariza? Oh, I know you're a Knicks fan and you're not too familiar w/ expiring contracts, but he's off the books after this year. As a matter of fact, there's a good chance that both he and Okafor are moved for other pieces to make this team stronger.

You want to know what Martell brings to the table? Look at the comparison between him and Kyle Korver from last year:

Link

It's a risky signing b/c of his health...however, if he can stay off the IR, I have no doubt that he'll live up to the contract. The partial guarantee in year 4 is key....

He brings a lot to the team from his shooting, underrated defense, and leadership. Perfect mentor to both Otto and GRJr. He'll be a great 6th man when Otto is good and ready.

Moving on, here's a link to the Wizards salary situation:

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom