Washington Wizards 2017-2018 Season Thread

Will the Wizards finally win 50 games this year?

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ernie trying to get in on the new bought-out free agent vets craze feels like if my grandma told me she was trying to get into bitcoin: I know this is not going to end well.
Whenever a retail store goes out of business, as has been the trend in recent years, they always manage to fool people with the hype surrounding their final clearance sales. Ernie’s the type of guy who will rush over there after work, thinking he’ll land a big screen TV for pocket change, only to come back home with an AM/FM clock radio and a copy of Now That’s What I Call Music: Volume 4.

To be fair, focusing on the buyout market is still probably the best outcome we could hope for this year. Without breaking up the core, we had only two things teams would want: our first round pick and Kelly Oubre. Standing pat was the only sensible option.

If Ernie wants to fill Sheldon Mac’s roster spot with a warm body capable of taking Jodie Meeks’ minutes for the rest of the season, great, but there’s virtually no chance of bringing in an impact player.

Should any notable players hit the market, they’ll latch on with a contending team and/or a team with a disabled player exception, as Greg Monroe did. Nobody is signing with Washington until all the bandwagons are full. That’s when Ernie Grunfeld will wrap up his new clock radio. Try to act surprised.

Should any notable players hit the market, they’ll latch on with a contending team and/or a team with a disabled player exception, as Greg Monroe did. Nobody is signing with Washington until all the bandwagons are full. That’s when Ernie Grunfeld will wrap up his new clock radio. Try to act surprised.

Yeah please don't sign derrick rose. Gonna be another Trey Burke situation. Everyone is going to think we are getting a decently skilled athletic back up PG that inevitably won't work out and be a waste of time and money

Ernie weighing his options like
eXS8hTU6RL5t-Gx3wujQYfRT2SM=.gif

In other dysfunctional Wizards news, Wall and Gortat met for what's been described as an "airing of grievances."
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-wizards-met-clear-air-following-tweet-center

giphy.gif

Crazy to think injuries/Tim Frazier being awful forced Brooks' hand and he had to play Sato.

Turns out Sato is the team's smartest player. Dude can hoop.

Crazy to think injuries/Tim Frazier being awful forced Brooks' hand and he had to play Sato.

Turns out Sato is the team's smartest player. Dude can hoop.
Sato's growth has been the silver lining to Wall's injury struggles this season.

When Wall was first sidelined for his PRP treatment, Brooks started Frazier and had no choice but to play Sato with the second unit. To the coaching staff's credit, they acknowledged the obvious and let Sato continue to play with that group after Wall returned.

Sato played scared in previous seasons. He was a reluctant shooter at best, and his weak handle left him susceptible to pressure defense. To see him playing so decisively, taking care of the ball, and knocking down open threes has been one of the few true bright spots in a generally disappointing season.

Historically, player development hasn't exactly been a strong suit for the Wizards. We'll need all we can get now that we're stuck in salary hell.

Went to the game last night and it has become evident that the post-Wall injury surge is long gone. The ball's now sticking with Beal and there are times where a high-energy play is needed and the Wizards are lacking. The good news is that some of the top seeds/potential first-round matchups look vulnerable. Kyrie's out 3-6 weeks, the Raptors are playoff chokers, and I wouldn't mind playing the Pacers.

The 40th anniversary celebration at halftime was cool and I was shocked how almost all the members of that team (players and staff) are still with us and were able to attend. The t-shirt they gave out for the occasion is the best one I've seen them have. The back has the team lineup and a radio quote from the moment they won the Finals.

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2916.JPG

Went to the game last night and it has become evident that the post-Wall injury surge is long gone. The ball's now sticking with Beal and there are times where a high-energy play is needed and the Wizards are lacking. The good news is that some of the top seeds/potential first-round matchups look vulnerable. Kyrie's out 3-6 weeks, the Raptors are playoff chokers, and I wouldn't mind playing the Pacers.

The 40th anniversary celebration at halftime was cool and I was shocked how almost all the members of that team (players and staff) are still with us and were able to attend. The t-shirt they gave out for the occasion is the best one I've seen them have. The back has the team lineup and a radio quote from the moment they won the Finals.

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2916.JPG
Now that nobody is still foolish enough to claim that the Wizards are better off without Wall, it seems like a particularly opportune moment for his return. Hopefully, he and his teammates appreciate each other a little more now, and have a better understanding of what each can bring to the table. Wall won't be 100% right out of the gate, either, so it will force him to take a step back and take a less ball-dominant approach. If nothing else comes from this season, the team absolutely must find its identity. There has to be some collective step forward, even if they can't reach the conference finals.

Beal's explanation for last night's performance is unsatisfactory. Really, how did this team, without Wall, think they could just outclass the Knicks? It's taken sharp execution and sustained focus to eke out wins all year. They're not steamrolling anybody through sheer talent. As vulnerable as the Wizards' likely opponents look, this team doesn't scare anyone right now, either. Boston doesn't even need its top players if we're going to make Terry Rozier look like Kyrie Irving.

It will be very difficult for the Wizards to get back in sync with Wall with just a few games left to play in the regular season. For all their problems, they've been a capable road team relative to previous seasons, at least. They'll need it, now that they're unlikely to open up a playoff series at home.

It says a lot about this franchise that we're impressed the players who won the first and only title in team history are still alive.

Let me know when they retire Agent zero's number
Right after they retire #23.

Now that nobody is still foolish enough to claim that the Wizards are better off without Wall, it seems like a particularly opportune moment for his return. Hopefully, he and his teammates appreciate each other a little more now, and have a better understanding of what each can bring to the table. Wall won't be 100% right out of the gate, either, so it will force him to take a step back and take a less ball-dominant approach. If nothing else comes from this season, the team absolutely must find its identity. There has to be some collective step forward, even if they can't reach the conference finals.

Beal's explanation for last night's performance is unsatisfactory. Really, how did this team, without Wall, think they could just outclass the Knicks? It's taken sharp execution and sustained focus to eke out wins all year. They're not steamrolling anybody through sheer talent. As vulnerable as the Wizards' likely opponents look, this team doesn't scare anyone right now, either. Boston doesn't even need its top players if we're going to make Terry Rozier look like Kyrie Irving.

It will be very difficult for the Wizards to get back in sync with Wall with just a few games left to play in the regular season. For all their problems, they've been a capable road team relative to previous seasons, at least. They'll need it, now that they're unlikely to open up a playoff series at home.

It says a lot about this franchise that we're impressed the players who won the first and only title in team history are still alive.

Agreed, the team's experienced ups and downs without him and Wall's had time to watch and reflect. Though Kyrie might be out for the first round, I still wouldn't want to see them either. They were missing several players when they played the Wizards a few weeks back and it still took 2OT to beat them.

Let me know when they retire Agent zero's number
When that happens I'll get front-row seats for the game/ceremony.

Well that was an ugly finish. Any predictions for the playoffs?

Toronto hasn't played particularly well down the stretch, either, and the Wizards have had some success against them even without Wall this season. Paul Pierce believes the Wizards can pull it off, though most of us have long since learned to separate the potential from the probable.

Wizards in 6... Ibaka and Derozan shooting 3s won’t help. Lowry gonna pull a Houdini and before you know it we’ll be getting swept by the Cavs...

I think this awful season wasn't a fluke. The problems with this roster have shown themselves and the chemistry isn't there. Raptors win in 6 and we bring the same gang of guys who hate each other back AGAIN next season. Thanks Ernie for the flexibility

I think this awful season wasn't a fluke. The problems with this roster have shown themselves and the chemistry isn't there. Raptors win in 6 and we bring the same gang of guys who hate each other back AGAIN next season. Thanks Ernie for the flexibility

See you understand that this team is STUCK where they are.

I'm ready for Playoff John

We need him putting up 29.8 10.5 assists and 7.5 rebounds a game.... wishful thinking
Oubre needs to step up and be a factor even if hes not making 3's
I like our chances against the Raps

Pick up Ty Lawson, and then Jodie gets suspended for melting his pee cup...
1325535604245.gif

Wiz in 5 btw
Just a reminder: Jodie Meeks has a player option for $3.4 million next season.

10 guys are locked in for next season and $25 million in salary is going to three players who've been absolutely worthless: Mahinmi, Meeks, and Smith. It sure would've been nice to have that cap space heading into the summer, so the team could upgrade the frontcourt.

pbox.php

Not feeling the Wizards' chances versus the Raptors, especially with the way they closed the regular season. Not sold on this being the Raptors' year either, so I'm expecting it to go six games at least. You can count on the Raptors wanting to exercise those 2015 playoff demons when they were swept by the Wizards. The Wiz have a decent shot though.

As far as losing Meeks and adding Lawson...why do the Wizards have five point guards? I'm guessing they want to go small, but the frontcourt is what needs the help with Scott and Porter playing banged up and two inconsistent centers in Gortat and Mahinmi. Anyone think Lawson will even touch the court or is it possible he gets a little burn to handle the ball and act as an off-ball shooter?

Back
Top Bottom