**Washington Wizards Offseason Thread** Blatche re-upped....5 years/35 mil

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

From Michael Lee

[h1]Thoughts from Chicago[/h1]

The vibe I'm getting is that the Washington Wizards are going with John Wall with the No. 1 overall pick no matter what. They just don't see any reason to make that decision known right now, especially without doing their due diligence (interviews, workouts, etc).

Rest of Article

With Leonsis and EG saying they'd like to acquire more picks, how do you think they'd go about doing it?  I'm thinking Nick Young might be moved...the only untouchable IMO is Blatche.....but if a team is interested in Arenas (but wants Blatche in the deal), do you make that move JUST to get Gil and his contract off the roster? 
I would. The way I see it is your franchise is rebuilding, you just came off of a 26 win season for a reason. If you think Blatche will be the type of player that can carry you to a championship, then you hold onto him. If he's just a good player in your eyes, you move him if it helps along the rebuilding process. That being said I'd still be hesitant to do it unless I got something good in return aside from just moving Gil.

speaking of which....

This is from hoopshype via The NYDN....the link for the NYDN isn't working...

The Wizards have gotten a couple of inquiries about Gilbert Arenas, but nothing good enough to deal their resident gun nut. Just as the Nets had hoped to land John Wall to help get them LeBron James, the Wizards now hope that by getting the No. 1 pick in the draft, Carmelo Anthony will want to come home to play with Wall. The Baltimore product is a free agent next summer. New York Daily News

Link

Has Leonsis and LeBron done something together in the past? Just wondering how they cool with each other as you say...

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Has Leonsis and LeBron done something together in the past? Just wondering how they cool with each other as you say...

They are close enough that Lebron wrote a testimonial for Ted that is featured in his book. 

Im intrigued about the offers the Wizs would get for Agent 0.

im almost positive that if anyone was willingly to give up just straight expirings like Dampier and etc., that would get it done.

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Mmm...had no idea. 

Anthony seems more realistic in this city though.

What are you gonna do if Bron leaves the Cavs? I can't imagine you'd still be a Cavs fan
laugh.gif

As far as Anthony goes, I like his game but I just don't ever see him winning a championship for some reason. Even though he's matured a lot I don't see him as enough of a leader. I guess if Wall grows into the leader of the team it could workout. Who knows, maybe a fresh start in DC would be good for Melo. But I tend to think that coming back home near the area he grew up in and all his old friends would somehow be a bad thing, same reason I don't want Beasley
laugh.gif

Personally I'd rather the Wiz try and make a move for Durant if at all possible. If not, a core of Wall, Blatche, Melo could be dangerous enough to make a lot of noise.

He's already gone in my mind. I honestly don't know
laugh.gif
. It would kill me to see him in a Wizard jersey after all the #$% I said in the last years
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Root for certain players I guess
laugh.gif

^Word, hope he ends up with the Wiz
laugh.gif
. It's weird cus like, I'm a big enough Lakers fan to the point that I will still follow them even once Kobe leaves/retires, since I sort of evolved into more of a Lakers fan and less of a Kobe fan. Since LA and the Wiz never meet in the playoffs/aren't rivals like the Wiz and Cavs were, I still maintain fanhood for both of them.

Additonally, I liked Bron when he came into the league, grew to hate him, then hated the Cavaliers as a team because of him, and now I've come to appreciate him for his greatness and enjoy watching him but I still hate the team he plays on
laugh.gif

Figure I'd post this again....article made it's way on to the homepage of RealGM...

Former Washington Times reporter John Mitchell writes for TheGrio.com that the Wizards are committed to removing Gilbert Arenas from the roster before next season.
According to a source, the team will "definitely consider buying out" Arenas' contract if he cannot be traded.

The Wizards will select John Wall with the first overall pick and, according to two league sources with knowledge of the team's future plans, will do everything in their power to make sure that Wall is never in the same locker room as Arenas.

One source with intimate knowledge of the team's plans says that Ernie Grunfeld does not want Arenas anywhere near Wall.

Grunfeld and Arenas used to share a strong relationship but they have barely spoken over the last two months.

Link

It will be sad to see Gil go.  In a perfect world, Gil could become a great SG and we'd soon have the best backcourt in the league.  Too bad this aint a perfect world.  He was playing really well up until the gun incident, and I think he will be even better next year.  This is an all out rebuild.  And from the sounds of it, Leonsis is the guy that can turn it around for us.  A lot to be excited about...

Just came across this....

By Mike Jones
CSNWashington.com

Gilbert Arenas is welcoming a chance for a fresh start with the Washington Wizards thanks to the Ted Leonsis takeover, according to team and league sources. The fallen star is also excited about the prospects of playing with Kentucky guard John Wall, whom Washington is expected to select with the top pick in next month's NBA draft.

Arenas, who earlier this month was released from a Montgomery County halfway house as part of his punishment for the infamous locker room gun incident, began working out at Verizon Center last week beginning what will be his fourth comeback in as many years.

On Sunday, Arenas met with Leonsis at the incoming owner's home, to discuss moving forward and his place within the franchise.

Leonsis on multiple occasions has told reporters that his goal was to heal any rift between Arenas and members of the organization, and that – along with expectations of the former three-time All-Star – was conveyed during Sunday's meeting.

“Everybody's getting a fresh start,

Just came across this on the Bullets Forever Blog....

it's how the Wizards can acquire more picks in this year's draft...it's a good read:

The rest of the article will be in the link....

It's not a secret that the Wizards are hoping to acquire even more draft picks, to go along with the #1, #30 and #35 pick.  Ted Leonsis spelled out this desire at the draft lottery, and Flip Saunders reiterated it the next day in his press conference.  The Wizards probably figure they have so many open roster spots anyway, so better to fill it with cheap young talent than overpriced veterans.

Obviously, this is a refreshing change.  But how do the Wizards actually go about acquiring more picks?  We explore some possibilities below the jump.

http://
star-divide.v5547.jpg

First things first, be sure to take a few minutes and review the Bring Out Your Dead strategy, which I imagine is the most likely vehicle the Wizards will use to acquire more picks. In a nutshell, the strategy entails the Wizards taking on a team's overpriced veteran with their cap space in return for acquiring the pick.  

Now that you're done with that, what picks might be up for sale?  Let's take a look.
[h4]The pipedream: Philadelphia's #2 overall pick[/h4]
Believe it or not, the 76ers are rumored to be open to trading the number two pick, mostly because of concerns about whether Evan Turner and Andre Iguodala could play together. Right now, the 76ers are asking teams to take back Elton Brand's gargantuan contract in return, but my guess is, if the 76ers are really willing to deal the pick, they'll soften that stance once they realize nobody wants Elton Brand.

If Brand is thrown off the table, the 76ers have a number of semi-large contracts they might want to shed.  Samuel Dalembertfor example, is slated to make $13 million next year, though it is the final year of his contract. The Sixers also have Jason Kapono making $6.6 million next year, though he's also expiring in 2011.  The Wizards would probably have to throw in a top prospect, like JaVale McGee or even Andray Blatche, but the prospect of Evan Turner, Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins to go along with John Wall is certainly interesting. 

Like I said, it's a pipedream, but it has to be mentioned.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2010/5/25/1486721/hey-wizards-you-want-more-draft#storyjump

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! blatche and whatever else for evan turner and elton brand?! then trade gilbert to anyone for anything and start your franchise over again ...

Just came across this on the Bullets Forever Blog....

it's how the Wizards can acquire more picks in this year's draft...it's a good read:

The rest of the article will be in the link....

It's not a secret that the Wizards are hoping to acquire even more draft picks, to go along with the #1, #30 and #35 pick.  Ted Leonsis spelled out this desire at the draft lottery, and Flip Saunders reiterated it the next day in his press conference.  The Wizards probably figure they have so many open roster spots anyway, so better to fill it with cheap young talent than overpriced veterans.

Obviously, this is a refreshing change.  But how do the Wizards actually go about acquiring more picks?  We explore some possibilities below the jump.

http://
star-divide.v5547.jpg

First things first, be sure to take a few minutes and review the Bring Out Your Dead strategy, which I imagine is the most likely vehicle the Wizards will use to acquire more picks. In a nutshell, the strategy entails the Wizards taking on a team's overpriced veteran with their cap space in return for acquiring the pick.  

Now that you're done with that, what picks might be up for sale?  Let's take a look.
[h4]The pipedream: Philadelphia's #2 overall pick[/h4]
Believe it or not, the 76ers are rumored to be open to trading the number two pick, mostly because of concerns about whether Evan Turner and Andre Iguodala could play together. Right now, the 76ers are asking teams to take back Elton Brand's gargantuan contract in return, but my guess is, if the 76ers are really willing to deal the pick, they'll soften that stance once they realize nobody wants Elton Brand.

If Brand is thrown off the table, the 76ers have a number of semi-large contracts they might want to shed.  Samuel Dalembertfor example, is slated to make $13 million next year, though it is the final year of his contract. The Sixers also have Jason Kapono making $6.6 million next year, though he's also expiring in 2011.  The Wizards would probably have to throw in a top prospect, like JaVale McGee or even Andray Blatche, but the prospect of Evan Turner, Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins to go along with John Wall is certainly interesting. 

Like I said, it's a pipedream, but it has to be mentioned.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2010/5/25/1486721/hey-wizards-you-want-more-draft#storyjump
Trade for the Twolves pick @ 4 and get Cousins. 1-2 Kentucky punch.
pimp.gif
Honestly this is a weak draft after the first several spots, I don't know what getting more late round picks is really gonna do IMO. Not that I'm a talent evaluation expert or anything, but for my money Wall and Cousins are the two best players in this draft. I'm still not sold on Favors.

Wall
Arenas
(Is Howard still under contract?)
Blache
Cousins

I want absolutely nothing to do with Cousins. This is not the right city/environment for him. If we were to land another top 5 pick, I'll take either Mr. Turner or Favors...or even Greg Monroe.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I want absolutely nothing to do with Cousins. This is not the right city/environement for him. If we were to land another top 5 pick, I'll take either Mr. Turner or Favors...or even Greg Monroe.

I keep hearing about his attitude and character issues, yet I've never actually seen a game or instance where he did anything. Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention, besides people SAYING bad things about him, what has he actually DONE? (serious question)

Mike Beasley didn't do anything on or off the court @ Kansas State either.

The dudes a head case. Flat out. His brash and reckless attitude is a gift and a curse. Works well when he's on the court and he channels it the right way...and then it's bad when he just flat does stupid things. Looking at his combine interviews, I DEFINITELY don't want anything to do with him.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Cousins. This is not the right city/environement for him. If we were to land another top 5 pick, I'll take either Mr. Turner or Favors...or even Greg Monroe.
I keep hearing about his attitude and character issues, yet I've never actually seen a game or instance where he did anything. Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention, besides people SAYING bad things about him, what has he actually DONE? (serious question)

The dudes a head case. Flat out. His brash and reckless attitude is a gift and a curse. Works well when he's on the court and he channels it the right way...and then it's bad when he just flat does stupid things. Looking at his combine interviews, I DEFINITELY don't want anything to do with him.
LOL Beasley's antics during high school were well documented. There's a reason he switched schools so many times. I've read a few articles about Cousins and nothing was near as immature as what I read about Beasley before he got to K-State.

And that elbow was a dirty play, but I'd need to see more than that to avoid drafting a guy. Chris Paul punched a dude in the nuts during a game ( I know it was because the dude made a remark about his grandfather, but it still happened). People throw elbows on the court all the time in the league, didn't Garnett just get suspended a game for it against the Heat?

I'm about to go watch his combine interviews and then probably have to edit this post
laugh.gif

EDIT: After watching the combine interviews...I dunno. He definitely seems like he has attitude issues and would be sort of dismissive to authority. Anytime they ask him like "do you think you could play well with Brook Lopez?" and he's like "I don't know I never played with him before."
eyes.gif

LOL Beasley's antics during high school were well documented. There's a reason he switched schools so many times. I've read a few articles about Cousins and nothing was near as immature as what I read about Beasley before he got to K-State.

And that elbow was a dirty play, but I'd need to see more than that to avoid drafting a guy. Chris Paul punched a dude in the nuts during a game ( I know it was because the dude made a remark about his grandfather, but it still happened). People throw elbows on the court all the time in the league, didn't Garnett just get suspended a game for it against the Heat?

I'm about to go watch his combine interviews and then probably have to edit this post
laugh.gif

EDIT: After watching the combine interviews...I dunno. He definitely seems like he has attitude issues and would be sort of dismissive to authority. Anytime they ask him like "do you think you could play well with Brook Lopez?" and he's like "I don't know I never played with him before."
eyes.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif

but here's what Daniel Orton had to say a few days ago about Cousins...

Orton candidly responded to a question about Cousins' temper, calling him "a loving spirit" but admitting he's also seen the 6-foot-11 forward lose control. 

"It's kind of like watching a little kid throw a temper tantrum," Orton told the Louisville Courier-Journal. "But it's a big little kid, so you've got to kind of control him before he gets way out of hand. He might hurt somebody, to tell you the truth. You definitely get out of the way if you can't handle him, if you can't stop him. One time I tried holding him back, and that was a mistake. I think he put a swim move on me."

Link

That quote from Orton is messed up.  If he has to say that about his former teammate, he could at least wait til after the draft.  Even though that quote's probably true, that's some kinda smear tactic a jealous female would use. 
tired.gif

John Wall's comments on the DP Show today.....

he's not coming here to be a 2-guard OR to share the 1 with Gilbert....I'm tellin you right now, the Wizards have to find a way to get Gil off the roster.  No matter what Gil says about being excited about playing with Wall, is he going to be comfortable in playing off the ball, not being the "man," etc etc.....People bring up how Gil and Larry Hughes were awesome back in 04' or whatever it was, but when you put a bruised ego into play in this situation in 2010, how's it REALLY going to work?  I dunno....

Wall said if the Wiz decide they need a shooting guard or a wing player, they might still go in another direction. He talked at length about his friendship with LeBron James. And he said the only thing he asked the Wizards was how it would work with both him and Gilbert Arenas on the floor.
"You know, we both are two good players. Gilbert Arenas is a great player, and we both need the ball in our hands to score. And I said how would I be able to do what I need to do to run the team if that's who I get picked by, if he needs the ball to score a lot? They just said they would work it out and see how it feels, and if they wanted me and they picked me, that he would move to the 2 guard spot....I want to be a point guard. I want to be the leader. I want to help an organization change and make my teammates better and win games."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/05/saunders_wall_could_revolution.html

One of the mods at RealGM put this together....

Name            Height    Wt.    Wngspn    Reach     Fat           
Chris Paul      5' 11.7   178    6' 4.25   7' 9"     -             
Darren Collis   6' 0.25   166    6' 3"     8' 0.5"   5.7           
Deron William   6' 1.75   202    6' 6.25   8' 2"     -             
Derrick Rose    6' 1.5"   196    6' 8"     8' 2.5"   4.6           
Dwyane Wade     6' 3.75   212    6' 10.7   8' 6"     6.7           
George Hill     6' 1.25   181    6' 9"     8' 1.5"   3             
Gilbert Arean   6' 2.25   199    6' 9.5"   8' 3.5"   -             
Jameer Nelson   5' 10.2   193    6' 2"     7' 9.5"   6.7           
Jameer Nelson   5' 11"    199    6' 2.5"   7' 11"    -             
John Wall       6' 2.75   196    6' 9.25   8' 5.5"   5.6           
Jonny Flynn     5' 11.2   196    6' 4"     7' 11.5   6.3           
O.J. Mayo       6' 3.25   200    6' 6"     8' 3.5"   6.3           
Russell Westb   6' 2.25   192    6' 7.75   8' 4"     4.8           
Stephen Curry   6' 2"     181    6' 3.5"   8' 1"     5.7           
Tyreke Evans    6' 4"     221    6' 11.2   8' 8"     7.1   

Name            NS Ver   Max Vr   Bench   Agility   Sprint         
Chris Paul      32       38       10      11.09     3.22           
Darren Collis   30.5     33.5     9       10.45     3.1             
Deron William   30       35       15      10.83     3.25           
Derrick Rose    34.5     40       10      11.69     3.05           
Dwyane Wade     31.5     35       9       10.56     3.08           
George Hill     34       37.5     9       12.2      3.07           
Gilbert Arean   31.5     36       12      -         3.25           
Jameer Nelson   30       35.5     9       10.66     3.16           
Jameer Nelson   28.5     33.5     15      10.95     3.14           
John Wall       30       39               10.84     3.14           
Jonny Flynn     33       40       10      10.86     3.23           
O.J. Mayo       30.5     41       7       11.04     3.14           
Russell Westb   30       36.5     12      10.98     3.08           
Stephen Curry   29.5     35.5     10      11.07     3.28           
Tyreke Evans    28.5     34       7       11.81     3.17   

One of the mods at RealGM put this together....

Name            Height    Wt.    Wngspn    Reach     Fat           
Chris Paul      5' 11.7   178    6' 4.25   7' 9"     -             
Darren Collis   6' 0.25   166    6' 3"     8' 0.5"   5.7           
Deron William   6' 1.75   202    6' 6.25   8' 2"     -             
Derrick Rose    6' 1.5"   196    6' 8"     8' 2.5"   4.6           
Dwyane Wade     6' 3.75   212    6' 10.7   8' 6"     6.7           
George Hill     6' 1.25   181    6' 9"     8' 1.5"   3             
Gilbert Arean   6' 2.25   199    6' 9.5"   8' 3.5"   -             
Jameer Nelson   5' 10.2   193    6' 2"     7' 9.5"   6.7           
Jameer Nelson   5' 11"    199    6' 2.5"   7' 11"    -             
John Wall       6' 2.75   196    6' 9.25   8' 5.5"   5.6           
Jonny Flynn     5' 11.2   196    6' 4"     7' 11.5   6.3