Wasn't New York City More Grimey In The 80s & 90s In Constrast To Now

yea ITTTTTE...

you think thats what a owner of a brand new white BMW is gonna smile to when you tell him that as your hitting his bumper

as your coming out of a parallel parked spot in da heights or anywhere else in NYC?

:lol:

my mother just had her side view mirror broken AGAIN, can't do nothing about it but fix it. when you park on da street you got no choice

but to suck it up.

Bro I had a luxury sportscar once, you know that...I didn't treat it as if it was my most priced possession, is a damb car...not a house.

this.

ksteezy wouldn't last a month with his car in my hood...i'd put anything on it.
What 184th and Audubon?...not THAT serious?...hit up Mia often and NEVER have trouble parking
laugh.gif
at night? pssh yea ITEEE...

and 184 and audobon there's a fire hydrant right on da corner....unless you taking 120 fire hydrant ticket chances parking next to

hydrant thinking **** is sweet then thats on you.

Drove to work in Brooklyn from the Bronx for a whole year, calculated my expenses/time it took to get there every morning on the FDR/Brooklyn Bridge and copped a monthly metro ASAP.

Only time I drive now is when I'm going on out of state trips

Is my first lease out of 4 new cars I've owned....obviously I lease by choice because I get tired of the same car after 3 years...

Lmao @ you claiming a lease to be remotely similar to a zip car
umm its fairly similar..

-you dont own da whip so you cant do nothing to it, no rims, no tint, no system, no engine or exhaust mods, etc.

hell you can't even drive it certain miles because of da mileage restrictions.

leasing is only good to WRITE OFF da payments on your taxes, otherwise all you doing is paying for da depreciation of da vehicle for da owners.(da bank

and da dealers)

umm its fairly similar..

-you dont own da whip so you cant do nothing to it, no rims, no tint, no system, no engine or exhaust mods, etc.

hell you can't even drive it certain miles because of da mileage restrictions.

leasing is only good to WRITE OFF da payments on your taxes, otherwise all you doing is paying for da depreciation of da vehicle for da owners.(da bank

and da dealers)

Bro....Rims?...exhaust?...system?...where I'm I?...2000 bumping Juvenile through my oversize subwoofer?

Last edited:

come park at night and see whats good, bet you wont find any, thats for sure.

ask anyone about parking in mahattan in a residential spot at night, its impossible.

there's like 3-4 garages in da heights within a 10 block radius and they're all making money because there is no parking

at night..when people get frustrated they just leave it in da lot and pay da joint.
Bro you donot live in the city!...parking regulations in the heights are exactly like the ones in the Bronx..
umm no they're not.

before it was like this...

extralarge.jpg

scr_sign.bmp

now its like this...you only got to move your car once a week...people DO NOT move they're cars if they dont have to = good luck finding a spot

after dark.

yea ITTTTTE...

you think thats what a owner of a brand new white BMW is gonna smile to when you tell him that as your hitting his bumper

as your coming out of a parallel parked spot in da heights or anywhere else in NYC?

laugh.gif

my mother just had her side view mirror broken AGAIN, can't do nothing about it but fix it. when you park on da street you got no choice

but to suck it up.
Bro I had a luxury sportscar once, you know that...I didn't treat it as if it was my most priced possession, is a damb car...not a house.
a acura TL is not a luxury sportscar...

and you telling papi shampoo dominican hick hustler with his BMW that

1.jpg

this is acceptable..he'd ring your neck

most of these dudes garage their cars, suck it up and pay that fee.

Sooo...

New York City was more grimey in the 80s and 90s in contrast to now, right?

My pops is from NYC it was crazy in da 70s 80s. When he had me n my brother we moved right outside CAMDEN for a better life.. It's actually nice surrounding camden. But camden in 2013 is like NYC of da 70s. If u don't believe me just google camden nj hood. Now I have family in Brooklyn and queens that I see every year... NYC is amazing the way they cleaned the city up... I wish they could clean camden the way they did NYC. Period. We still got open air drug sets , about 170 of them. In a 9 mile city TOTAL. WE have no Grocery store. NO movie theater. NO hotels. Nothing. The most income camden makes is scrap. The last 3 mayors of camden are in jail for imbezzelment and accepting drug bribes, ect. They just fired the whole police force and now they have a county police force out there..it puts 100 extra cops on the streets but there idiots. They don't know the city like the old cops did. They are wasting money trying to make the waterfront but that's literally the only save part of the city..Now on my moms side her family's from camden. It was a amazing city in the 50s had a POpulation of about 120,000 now the population is around 60,000. For every house there's 4 abandos.

Whoever is saying that NYC is grimier now is loco. NYC was Like camden back in the day. And these soft dudes out there wouldn't last a second in the old NYC

Having a car is a scam and useless now?...is this real life?...

Lettuce be cereal, the majority of drivers are not trying to live passed their means riding around in da Hemi at over 40k...a lot of people are more than content with a base model Corolla if that...as long as you can easily afford the monthly payments/insurance you are stupid to think a car doesn't facilitate your life.

Quite honestly if you live in NYC and not in a suburb there is literally no necessity in buying a car in the least bit. It can be a big luxury for you but it's FAR from being needed. I live in the BX and travel to the city for work everyday around broadway/ brklyn bridge. It would absolutely be a deterrent for me to get a car right now. Even with all the delays and annoying **** that MTA does it still beats morning traffic, paying tolls, and paying literally hundreds of $ for parking.

My pops is from NYC it was crazy in da 70s 80s. When he had me n my brother we moved right outside CAMDEN for a better life.. It's actually nice surrounding camden. But camden in 2013 is like NYC of da 70s. If u don't believe me just google camden nj hood. Now I have family in Brooklyn and queens that I see every year... NYC is amazing the way they cleaned the city up... I wish they could clean camden the way they did NYC. Period. We still got open air drug sets , about 170 of them. In a 9 mile city TOTAL. WE have no Grocery store. NO movie theater. NO hotels. Nothing. The most income camden makes is scrap. The last 3 mayors of camden are in jail for imbezzelment and accepting drug bribes, ect. They just fired the whole police force and now they have a county police force out there..it puts 100 extra cops on the streets but there idiots. They don't know the city like the old cops did. They are wasting money trying to make the waterfront but that's literally the only save part of the city..Now on my moms side her family's from camden. It was a amazing city in the 50s had a POpulation of about 120,000 now the population is around 60,000. For every house there's 4 abandos.

Whoever is saying that NYC is grimier now is loco. NYC was Like camden back in the day. And these soft dudes out there wouldn't last a second in the old NYC
Sounds like East St Louis

Having a car is a scam and useless now?...is this real life?...

Lettuce be cereal, the majority of drivers are not trying to live passed their means riding around in da Hemi at over 40k...a lot of people are more than content with a base model Corolla if that...as long as you can easily afford the monthly payments/insurance you are stupid to think a car doesn't facilitate your life.
Quite honestly if you live in NYC and not in a suburb there is literally no necessity in buying a car in the least bit. It can be a big luxury for you but it's FAR from being needed. I live in the BX and travel to the city for work everyday around broadway/ brklyn bridge. It would absolutely be a deterrent for me to get a car right now. Even with all the delays and annoying **** that MTA does it still beats morning traffic, paying tolls, and paying literally hundreds of $ for parking.
If you live in the outer boroughs you should have a car.

But if you live in manhattan a car really is just a luxury purchase.

It'll make your life a lot harder than it makes it easier.

Either way though, whether public transportation or driving, getting around in new york is a pain.

Camden is in rough shape, there's no doubt about that, but the Boogie is on a whole different level from any other place in this country. In 2011, East St. Louis had a homicide rate of 99.7 per 100,000 residents. To put that in perspective, Chicago's rate was 15.9 and NYC's rate was 6.3. Camden's was 60.6...

The next level of utterly blighted cities consists Camden and Gary though. I've heard similar things about Flint, although I've never been there so I can't speak on it...

Camden is in rough shape, there's no doubt about that, but the Boogie is on a whole different level from any other place in this country. In 2011, East St. Louis had a homicide rate of 99.7 per 100,000 residents. To put that in perspective, Chicago's rate was 15.9 and NYC's rate was 6.3. Camden's was 60.6...

The next level of utterly blighted cities consists Camden and Gary though. I've heard similar things about Flint, although I've never been there so I can't speak on it...
idk, its all about what youre familiar with, ive been to flint and have a ton of flint friends, ive never felt unsafe

ive been in camden tho and was not comfortable at all

i know people from east st louis who have told me its one of those spots you dont go if you dont have any business there, but then again they also said Detroit (my city) looks just as bad in some spots

my mom and dad lived in NYC in the 80s, its really one of those "what are you doing?" situations, my dad has worn gold since he was 16 and has never been tried in NYC, but my mom's first husband got the brakes beat off of him for not giving up his jewels so it really depends on if you a mark or not

idk, its all about what youre familiar with, ive been to flint and have a ton of flint friends, ive never felt unsafe

ive been in camden tho and was not comfortable at all

i know people from east st louis who have told me its one of those spots you dont go if you dont have any business there, but then again they also said Detroit (my city) looks just as bad in some spots

my mom and dad lived in NYC in the 80s, its really one of those "what are you doing?" situations, my dad has worn gold since he was 16 and has never been tried in NYC, but my mom's first husband got the brakes beat off of him for not giving up his jewels so it really depends on if you a mark or not

I live in the hood in Chicago so I'm used to the hood :lol:

Like I said, I've never been to Flint. I just included it in the discussion based on what I've heard and the statistics I've seen on their homicide rate.

I've spent time in East St. Louis, Gary, and Camden. Essentially, if you take the very worst parts of cities like Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, etc. you get an idea of what these entire cities are like.

East St. Louis is just on a whole different level in my eyes, and the statistics speak to that fact, as well. I have family in East St. Louis and am there at least two or three times a year. I've never had an issue there, but you gotta understand and respect your environment, especially in these places...

I live in the hood in Chicago so I'm used to the hood
laugh.gif

Like I said, I've never been to Flint. I just included it in the discussion based on what I've heard and the statistics I've seen on their homicide rate.

I've spent time in East St. Louis, Gary, and Camden. Essentially, if you take the very worst parts of cities like Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, etc. you get an idea of what these entire cities are like.

East St. Louis is just on a whole different level in my eyes, and the statistics speak to that fact, as well. I have family in East St. Louis and am there at least two or three times a year. I've never had an issue there, but you gotta understand and respect your environment, especially in these places...
Totally agree with you I lived in St Louis for the past two years. It is really turning into an up and coming city. Like I posted in another thread these cities are the little brother to the big cities. St Louis has East Stl, Philly Has Camden, Indianapolis has Gary, LA has Compton, and to some extent I think NY had he Bronx. These town's had many factories to supply the big cities with what they needed. They were great places to live for the working class because there were jobs. But the result of these factories has been a large amounts of waste the factories produced, but they were the little brother so its wasnt a big deal. Then All the factories left and so did a large percentage of the population and the jobs left. Leaving the cities in shambles and are now headed by corrupt people. I can see the need for these communities to be gentrified but i dont think that will ever happen.

I live in the hood in Chicago so I'm used to the hood :lol:

Totally agree with you I lived in St Louis for the past two years. It is really turning into an up and coming city. Like I posted in another thread these cities are the little brother to the big cities. St Louis has East Stl, Philly Has Camden, Indianapolis has Gary, LA has Compton, and to some extent I think NY had he Bronx. These town's had many factories to supply the big cities with what they needed. They were great places to live for the working class because there were jobs. But the result of these factories has been a large amounts of waste the factories produced, but they were the little brother so its wasnt a big deal. Then All the factories left and so did a large percentage of the population and the jobs left. Leaving the cities in shambles and are now headed by corrupt people. I can see the need for these communities to be gentrified but i dont think that will ever happen.

Gary is actually a Chicago suburb, but you definitely have the right idea. The main thing about these smaller cities is that they relied disproportionately on industrial employment, even in comparison to the larger cities to which they were connected which themselves depended heavily on these factory jobs. As U.S. center cities were de-industrialized starting in the 1950s, but especially in the 1970s, some of these larger cities were able to effectively diversify their economies to accommodate this transition. However, many of these larger cities, including most notably Detroit and St. Louis, were largely unable to do so. Some of these smaller cities were even less able to do so as they were often almost entirely reliant on industrial blue-collar employment. East St. Louis, Gary, and Camden embody the very harshest effects of these dynamics.

In addition the white power structures in these cities, as well as cities like Detroit and Newark, essentially abandoned these cities in the face of increasing Black migration and white flight in a way that they never abandoned other cities, like Chicago, Philly, New York, DC, etc.

Obviously, other factors have contributed to the dramatic and tragic declines of these cities, as well but these are probably two of the most salient...

i just want to know what would it take to bring these cities back up to par
One of the first things they need is jobs, and not just factory work either...For example My city Baltimore could be on Detroit levels when it comes to the economy but due to the fact that people went from working in factories to Hospitals/Universities/Government and the service industry it never got that bad..nobody wants to invests in those cities anymore, build stores there etc..

Last edited:
But would it be in a corporations interest to even start creating new jobs in a place where several people are moving from? Obviously these places are in bad shape but how much money would have to be invested in order to start building them back up

Back
Top Bottom