Wasn't New York City More Grimey In The 80s & 90s In Constrast To Now

But would it be in a corporations interest to even start creating new jobs in a place where several people are moving from? Obviously these places are in bad shape but how much money would have to be invested in order to start building them back up
But then that brings up another question...are people moving cuz there is no jobs or are there no jobs cuz people moved away?...If its the latter then yes, it would be hard for a company to invest back into a place because obviously theres something there (crime, lack of infastructure, demographics) that people will just stay away from regardless..

This video here pretty much answers a lot of questions on New York in the 70's to the early 90's... it's a pretty dope documentary.

Repped for the bump.

Killed a lot of time just now at work reading this thread. When you weed through the nonsense, there was a lot of knowledge being kicked.

What's happened to the @ksteezy challenge. I'm kind of interested myself, the only people I see getting spots are Smart cars. Im interning on the UWS, not far up as the Heights, but still no parking. :lol:

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/downtown-1981-589323

This is downtown 81 shot by Basquiat and i've taken two things from this video

1) Early 80's NYC might have been one of the most impactful eras in culture in the histroy of america
2) NYC as of now is slowly getting to a place where youth culture and innovation is being pushed and meshing together in a great fashion

Last edited:
na. It's not at all.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to that. However as someone who is amongst the younger brackets i beg to differ. Their is A LOT of true talent being bred in this city despite all of the transplants and change of scenery. Obviously it isn't completely new music genre's but the mixing of cultures and the blurring of lines between Fashion/Music/ Art etc etc are completely meshing pretty well right now.

Not to mention the intergration and inclusion that tech is having on culture blending alone.

As you typed that, I'm sure yet another family has decided that they can no longer afford to live in NY and has decided to move down south. And yet another place we've all grown up with has been torn down and replaced with something that will cater towards transplants from the Midwest snd yet another wall full of graffiti will be covered with a mural to appease out of towners.

As you typed that, I'm sure yet another family has decided that they can no longer afford to live in NY and has decided to move down south. And yet another place we've all grown up with has been torn down and replaced with something that will cater towards transplants from the Midwest snd yet another wall full of graffiti will be covered with a mural to appease out of towners.

And with that said there is still another 10 kids growing up in NYC who have a completely different lifestyle from those transplants and still frequent environments that are mashing up music & culture. People are still partying, still collaborating, still being inspired by growing up in NYC and applying it to their art.

Indeed gentrification has had an effect on NYC, however let's not act like the entire city is suddenly some yuppie washed area with no culture. Every part of NYC i visit for the most part still has a very specific feel.

The area I'm from is completely different than it used to be in ethnic makeup so it's whatever. You can feel how you want to feel. I know what I see.

And nobody is denying that, my initial statement was that NYC youth is still cultivating trends of their own and establishing a policy of no boundaries among different artistic circles. the 70-80's didn't have a clear distinction and it allowed for youth of all different backgrounds to come together and take common interest in fashion, Art, graffitu, music etc etc.

I feel as the 90's came along a lot of that was slowed down and each individual group decided to stick to their "own kind" in a way. What i have personally experienced is that that way of thinking is being pushed aside and it's once again allowing for NYC youth to come together and create.

BTW someone is actually doing a Netflix series on this Era... if done right this could be some of the most epic TV since the Wire, that's a big IF tho.

http://animalnewyork.com/2015/bronx-teens-audition-baz-luhrmanns-new-netflix-show/

Film director Baz Luhrmann, known for his opulent reconstructions of The Great Gatsby and Moulin Rouge, is looking for local talent to cast in his upcoming Netflix series about New York City in the ’70s.

DNAinfo reports that that Luhrmann is looking for black and hispanic men and women between ages 18 and 21 to star as teens from the South Bronx. The new series, called The Get Down, follows their adventures through “Bronx tenements, to the SoHo art scene, CBGBs, Studio 54, and even the glass towers of the just-built World Trade Center,” notes the casting website.

Ultimately, Luhrmann hopes to cast authentic residents of the Bronx. “Nothing would make all those involved in ‘The Get Down’ more thrilled than to find cast members from The Bronx itself,” he told DNAinfo via email. “So I can only encourage anyone who fits the criteria of the auditions to audition. You never know until you try.”

In a recent interview with Vulture, Luhrmann explained that “the entire show is hung on bright young people.”

“There are many professional [actors] at that age,” he said. “But I don’t want to miss some extraordinary young person who’s just months away from sending in a tape to some casting agent. You need to spread the net very broadly.”

The first season will span three years, starting in 1977 and ending in 1980, with a particular focus on music. Luhrmann, who got Jay Z on The Great Gatsby’s bill, plans to collaborate “with great veterans and new talent.” The Get Down will chart the popularity of disco and the hip-hop’s introduction to the music scene.

Applicants must regale Luhrmann’s casting team with a story or two, perform a “song, rap, or poem,” and perform a “short dance.” They have until March 10 to apply. Production begins sometime in May.

I've heard 1965-1980 is GOAT era of NYC from what I heard and it's been falling off ever since then

They don't mean in terms of economics but in terms of fun, Studio 54 is still considered the GOAT nightclub even tho they were shut down after being open only for 33 months, its still the bar set in nightlife in that short run. The 70s NYC is still considered the goat nightlife/party and art scene of NYC. Rent was dirt cheap in downtown Manhattan so all the artists could party 6 days a week

nah...NYC was damn near bankrupt.

golden era NYC is 80's-late 90's before 9/11...ish was super chill.

I bet you couldn't find a decent cafe in NYC back then but there was about 20-30 sex s&m clubs. :lol:

Also pics of the gay sex clubs in the Meatpacking district and below 14th and prostitutes were crazy. It was seemingly all out in the open.

Back
Top Bottom