Watchout you non-tippers... you might get banned from a restaurant one day..

Originally Posted by KingRamey

they ban me i'll sue and win cuz the customer is always right
grin.gif
I'm curious.....what would you sue for?

Do I tip high? When I go to restaurants or order delivery I always tip 20-25%. I'm surprised to hear people say 10% that seems so low.

big1236 wrote:
being a former waiter myself (applebee's), I'm very particular when it comes to service. If you do me right (NH), i'll hook you up with a fat tip. If you're sh*tty, then i'll leave the tip accordingly... to me, it's all about service and not the $$$
True.
And usually if you go to decent places, people usually give good service. 
Last time me & some ppl went to a Hibachi grill we went IN on the tip without hesitation. A good experience deserves a good reward.

in response to dude -

no, black folks actually really take care of me.

I make side conversations ( tip talk) to make the customer feel as they got to know me & not just some bum that takes their order ( i do this to all my customers doesn't matter of religion,race , or what they physically look like)

but then again I dont work at a ruby Tuesdays or TGIF , we have steps of service.

I box left overs in front of you ! Tray stand & all, ask if you need any sauces etc. I want to make you feel welcome and to return.

my man last week had a table of 5.. 90$ bill..son got $5 tip, now tell me thats crud ? or is it his job .. so its okay ?

I take care of everyone, even a few NT'ers can vouch.

I hate when these type of threads come up, i feel like the token server guy.

those that are interested on my opinion , i shall pm you.

-=D

I can't believe all the cheap people on this board. If you don't agree with the custom of tipping, don't eat out. Easy as that. Servers don't want you at your table, nor do the restaurants want you at your business (as evidenced by the article). If you cannot afford to tip AT LEAST 15%, go to a restaurant that accommodates your budget. Servers work damn hard. Please stop with then idiotic, "I don't get tipped at my job!" excuses.

i'm interested importking. i used to serve too.

another tipping thread though. why did you do it dirty. WHY did u open the can of worms!

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

Waiters answer me this. What do you suggest I do if it takes forever and a day to get me a napkin/knife/water/ketchup or something that should have been there already? Or something seemingly simple like giving me my card back with the bill??
Coming from a server, leave a +%$%$% tip. But you also have to be reasonable. Sometimes it's not our fault that things don't get to you immediately. If you see the server sprinting around or one or more of the surrounding tables got sat at the same time, relax a bit. Chances are your server's trying to make sure the people that just sat down at least have something to drink and get settled in, just as you would want them to do for you.

IF YOUR FOOD IS TAKING TOO LONG (this is for everyone) ask your server (politely) what's going on with the food. Servers do not cook the food-- we have NO control of when it comes out, and as soon as it does it leaves the kitchen. The kitchen doesn't have space to let your food sit there while dozens of other dishes need to be going out too. Personally, if it's taking too long (>10 minutes MAX) I start yelling at people in the kitchen. If your server's just dicking around, it's their own damn fault.

I had a rude waitress yesterday, she got bothered because I ask for no ice in my drink and asked her to change it.

She comes back with watered down orange juice, food was ok.

I dont believe in 20% tip, I tip accordingly.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Restaurants should pay people more. Plain and simple. While the little guy is actually doing the grunt work, the managers are eating with their discounts.

I would imagine that the restaurant would increase their prices on the menu if this were the case.

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

Originally Posted by da boy boyy

i dont understand why you gotta tip servers when they're just doin their job?
i don't see customers tipping retail workers, construction workers, or other workers who have harder jobs than servers..
at the end of the day, i still tip tho but til this day i dont understand why

GRATUITY 1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

2. something given without claim or demand.

Why should you tip waiters/servers they applied for the job, if they don't like it they can move on to another job where they can get more money, that's the type of *+* that gets to me waiters/servers should not expect to get tipped why should they? they are doing a job in which they applied and getting paid for an that is to serve and wait tables not to get any sort of compensation from the client. I NEVER TIP, EVER!!! what i do tip are strippers they go above and beyond to get theirs, not some person who brings me my food.

Maaaaaaaan EFFFFFF Tipping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Thats Gaye* in huey's voice

im suppose to pay you for what your getting paid to do.............................. EFF Dat!!!!!

(i know it sounds harsh to anyone who works/worked in food service but its true ................................ so Eff off.)

wink.gif

I think servers get paid the way they do as to motivate them to provide good service with the expectation of a tip. If they got paid the same no matter the kind of service they performed, customers would get poor service, ala fast food joints.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

I don't like the fact that people are obligated to tip. It should be strictly optional and servers should get more than min. wage.

fixed

Originally Posted by RavageEnt2009

im suppose to pay you for what your getting paid to do.............................. EFF Dat!!!!!

(i know it sounds harsh to anyone who works/worked in food service but its true ................................ so Eff off.)

wink.gif
I don't demand tips from anyone, but you do realize that we DON'T get paid. I get paid $3.15 hourly. That covers my taxes. Every two weeks I pick up a paycheck for about 4 dollars. I'm not telling you that you HAVE to tip, I just want to make sure you understand that you're not providing ADDITIONAL income, what servers see from you is all you get. If you choose to stiff a server, that's your choice.

Also remember that in most restaurants, servers can refuse to wait on anyone for any reason. I wouldn't do that, but it's not unheard of. My boy works at Steak and Shake and I hit him up one night and some group of goons came in and the manager just told them they could sit down, but if they wanted food they were gonna have to hit the drive-thru.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

These threads always surprise me with the number of people on NT that drive BMWs and buy sneakers 10 pairs at a time and only get bottle service at the club, but they don't tip. Buncha ballers, for sure.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Ithink servers get paid the way they do as to motivate them to providegood service with the expectation of a tip. If they got paid the sameno matter the kind of service they performed, customers would get poorservice, ala fast food joints.
DING DING DING DING DING! We have a winner. You go to Steak and Shake and get outstanding service, congratulations. You go to Cheesecake Factory and don't get outstanding service, there's a problem.

People mainly tip to the percentage of their bill.. which I don't think is right. Say you take your friend to Denny's get excellent service. Bill comes to $20 - 20% = $4. Say you take your same friend to Ruth Chris' and get crap service. Bill comes to $100.00 and give them 15% = $15. Mind you both places you just ordered the basic food and drink, spent same amount of time there. Sure quality of food is different, but you're tipping on service, not food (because you're already paying for food).

I think server's should be tipped on seat time or server frequency. For example, if I take a server's table for one hour and have an average amount of service requested, then I think I should tip the server at least $8 and add 50%-75% for each guest that is with me. The number would be dependent on service, not bill total.

Is 15% really considered low (
frown.gif
)? I always tip 15% (no matter the service) and round up to the next dollar. If the service was great I go up.

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
....Riley

So no one has broke down a servers wage yet?
3 tables leave $3 in an hour, that's $9 an hour plus the $2.50 off top. That's $11.50!
Isn't that already more than what the nationwide minimum wage is?
Y'all making it sound like waiters are hurtin' or something.
grin.gif

I'm really bad with math so I just leave a whole bunch of money for the tip.
Besides, I think waiters & servers deserve a tip for all the crap they catch.
Even when I get a meal that comes out $10 or something, I feel compelled to leave at least $4 as a tip.

I forgot to ask: why does she continue to go there if she's had this incident come up before? I'm sure there are other places to eat.

Some of my qualms of tipping have already been addressed.

(Needs to be voluntary, why is it necessary, etc.)

However, I think the worst part is when the tips are spread and given amongst everyone. When only a few people (either your server or whomever helped you with dinner experience) deserve it while the rest are mooching off of one's effort to gain more tips. I feel it should be more based on individual merit, that way no halfway approaches when it comes to service. Like one restaurant I been to, dude didn't even do a good job ordering. Mean mugging, and slapped a 25% gratuity like it was nobody's business. Horrible.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

Waiters answer me this. What do you suggest I do if it takes forever and a day to get me a napkin/knife/water/ketchup or something that should have been there already? Or something seemingly simple like giving me my card back with the bill??
Coming from a server, leave a +%$%$% tip. But you also have to be reasonable. Sometimes it's not our fault that things don't get to you immediately. If you see the server sprinting around or one or more of the surrounding tables got sat at the same time, relax a bit. Chances are your server's trying to make sure the people that just sat down at least have something to drink and get settled in, just as you would want them to do for you.

IF YOUR FOOD IS TAKING TOO LONG (this is for everyone) ask your server (politely) what's going on with the food. Servers do not cook the food-- we have NO control of when it comes out, and as soon as it does it leaves the kitchen. The kitchen doesn't have space to let your food sit there while dozens of other dishes need to be going out too. Personally, if it's taking too long (>10 minutes MAX) I start yelling at people in the kitchen. If your server's just dicking around, it's their own damn fault.
Thanks for the info.  I always feel bad leaving a crummy tip regardless of service.  To all those who are bad at math, here's a tip (
laugh.gif
): for 20% move the decimal to left once.  Then multiply that number to the left of the new decimal by 2.  If you want to stiff them, decrease accordingly.

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

3 tables leave $3 in an hour, that's $9 an hour plus the $2.50 off top. That's $11.50!
grin.gif

To answer your question, the money is on the weekends. I worked a 5 hour shift on Wednesday night and made 18 bucks. And to reiterate, I don't see that $2.50 an hour-- that barely covers taxes. By the way, $9 an hour for working three tables that demand something every 2 minutes is hardly enough. I've worked construction for $10 an hour and I'd rather do that than make $9 an hour waiting 4 tables on a Friday night for ANY length of time. It looks easy, but it's really not. I'm not saying sometimes it's not easy, but on the nights of the week when people are actually going out to eat, it's brutal.

By the way, I'm a waiter, I don't spend a lot of money, and I'm hurtin' bad. And I'm damn good at my job and I love it, too. Winter is NOT a good time of year for servers.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

However, I think the worst part is when the tips are spread and givenamongst everyone. When only a few people (either your server orwhomever helped you with dinner experience) deserve it while the restare mooching off of one's effort to gain more tips. I feel it should bemore based on individual merit, that way no halfway approaches when itcomes to service. Like one restaurant I been to, dude didn't even do agood job ordering. Mean mugging, and slapped a 25% gratuity like it wasnobody's business. Horrible.
Very few restaurants do that. Country Clubs do that, but other than that very few restaurants do that still. That method is why restaurants comp entire meals because of %#+%$+ service. If a server adds gratuity and it's a party of less than 8 or it's not stated in the menu that gratuity is added, ASK QUESTIONS. Your server will have an answer for you, and if they don't they'll get a manager for you to answer the question.

EDIT: If you're asking questions about how long your food is taking or about an added gratuity, for the love of God do it politely. Servers are not out to screw you (in most cases).

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

grin.gif
bro, we get tax'd on top of it & I havent got a pay check from my employer since December.

I also have to tip out my bartender & my backwaiter/food runner gets 4% of my total sales.

say I sell $500 in sales ( not including tax, just in food & drinks ) , my backwaiters get $20 + I have to tip out my bartender

that comes out of the Gratuity you gave me.

yall got beemers , buy coppers on release day & live at your mommas house but damn dont TIP ?
roll.gif
roll.gif

but for real, If i recieve a bad tip, it doesnt faze me at all, I got 3 other tables going on at the same time where I bust my !*# & they see that, they always drop me a lil something more.

Back
Top Bottom