Watchout you non-tippers... you might get banned from a restaurant one day..

^ come up season is soon.

( tax return money
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
)

we were on a two hour wait on friday & saturday of last weekend.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by COOLnificent

So no one has broke down a servers wage yet?
3 tables leave $3 in an hour, that's $9 an hour plus the $2.50 off top. That's $11.50!
Isn't that already more than what the nationwide minimum wage is?
Y'all making it sound like waiters are hurtin' or something.
grin.gif

To answer your question, the money is on the weekends. I worked a 5 hour shift on Wednesday night and made 18 bucks. And to reiterate, I don't see that $2.50 an hour-- that barely covers taxes. By the way, $9 an hour for working three tables that demand something every 2 minutes is hardly enough. I've worked construction for $10 an hour and I'd rather do that than make $9 an hour waiting 4 tables on a Friday night for ANY length of time. It looks easy, but it's really not. I'm not saying sometimes it's not easy, but on the nights of the week when people are actually going out to eat, it's brutal.

By the way, I'm a waiter, I don't spend a lot of money, and I'm hurtin' bad. And I'm damn good at my job and I love it, too. Winter is NOT a good time of year for servers.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

However, I think the worst part is when the tips are spread and givenamongst everyone. When only a few people (either your server orwhomever helped you with dinner experience) deserve it while the restare mooching off of one's effort to gain more tips. I feel it should bemore based on individual merit, that way no halfway approaches when itcomes to service. Like one restaurant I been to, dude didn't even do agood job ordering. Mean mugging, and slapped a 25% gratuity like it wasnobody's business. Horrible.
Very few restaurants do that. Country Clubs do that, but other than that very few restaurants do that still. That method is why restaurants comp entire meals because of $$+!!@ service. If a server adds gratuity and it's a party of less than 8 or it's not stated in the menu that gratuity is added, <b>ASK QUESTIONS</b>. Your server will have an answer for you, and if they don't they'll get a manager for you to answer the question.
I tried to but he was unaccessible after the receipt was already signed by the birthday girl and her friends (I was just accompanying them). What's worst was the group policy for that place was 20% gratuity added for parties more than 9. The problem was we had only 8 and 3 late people came in (5 minutes before we left). He didn't even bother asking if they were simply apart of the group or whatever (which they weren't). So we gave him no tip on top of the gratuity added ( we we're going to provide a decent one) but by then it wasn't necessary given the horrible outcome. I've worked in the hospitality industry and tips have always came to me as optional (never required). So for me if tipping is the only incentive adding to your paycheck, you might as well work at In N Out or some entry level job that has a better wage.

waiters out there, do you sometimes "forget" a drink item or appetizer on the bill and hope that the customer realizes this and throws some of it back in as a tip?

It's happening more and more around my way.

They will forget two beers,at $3.75 each, so I basically tip an extra $7 bucks to cover that to bring the total bill right back to where it shouldve been
-----------------------

I will say this, if youre a local person that will eat there again and again, you better provide a decent tip because like this video, the waiters and servers and cooks know whats up. Theres probably some code language to give them some crappy pieces of meat that has fallen on the floor.

all I know is at local places, If I tip a bit above and beyond and show appreciation, the visits after that I get treated like a king. Theres this drive in type place where they take your order from your car and the lady taking the orders and coming back out with food has been there atleast 20 years. You leave a big tip and she'll remember your car and get your that good service first. if youre the 5th car in the parking lot, she'll get to you 2nd or 3rd but not last.

Tips have a good way of balancing out everything

Originally Posted by non flammable

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That's racist.[/color]
mad.gif
smh.gif

lulz

pulling the race card again?  it was not because she was black, its because she doesn't know how to tip.  if the women was white, asian, or mexican the restaurant would of banned her too
indifferent.gif

there is no such thing as a race card

when are white NTers gonna stop using that expression?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

waiters out there, do you sometimes "forget" a drink item or appetizer on the bill and hope that the customer realizes this and throws some of it back in as a tip?

It's happening more and more around my way.

They will forget two beers,at $3.75 each, so I basically tip an extra $7 bucks to cover that to bring the total bill right back to where it shouldve been
all the time, like I said, if I charge them, I have to pay my backwaiters /food runners BECAUSE  that 2.50 for that soda add's up.
If they are a nice couple or family, I make sure to give them extra something, I tell them to make room for desert & ill get them a slice of cake, I love kids, joking with kids , making sure that they are happy is a plus, Parents see that.

I been working at my establishment for sometime and all the cooks/chefs are spanish. I talk to them all the time, drink beer in the back with them etc , so If I need an extra app or entree, I ask & they take care of it for me.

I let it be known to them that its on me & if they need anything else to just ask or let me know.

Folks get blown away by #@$% like this, I feel like my younger folks want to give me daps , hell even older folks give me hand shakes at the end of their meets or when they depart.

So yes, kudos for you for understanding that.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

- Token Server Guy

i recommend these books for the public & the servers

Amazon product ASIN 0060934913
anthonybourdain.jpg

& this

http://www.amazon.com/Wai...id=1267221165&sr=1-1

I tried to but he was unaccessible after the receipt was already signed by the birthday girl and her friends (I was just accompanying them). What's worst was the group policy for that place was 20% gratuity added for parties more than 9. The problem was we had only 8 and 3 late people came in (5 minutes before we left). He didn't even bother asking if they were simply apart of the group or whatever (which they weren't). So we gave him no tip on top of the gratuity added ( we we're going to provide a decent one) but by then it wasn't necessary given the horrible outcome. I've worked in the hospitality industry and tips have always came to me as optional (never required). So for me if tipping is the only incentive adding to your paycheck, you might as well work at In N Out or some entry level job that has a better wage.

That's why I don't grat. If I'm working a party of 50 with one other server and everyone's havin' a good time and I feel like we did an outstanding job, I don't grat because most of the time people will tip anywhere from 30-50%. If the party gave us hell and there was no way to make them happy, I'll grat. I know how hard I worked and I'll be damned if you leave 10 bucks for your party of 50's check totaling 500 bucks. Make sure when you go with a party (since you understand, working in hospitality) that EVERYTHING on the check needs to be looked at before a card is slipped in the book. People usually glance at the stuff they're being charged for and the total and miss the line right above it where gratuity would be added.

By the way, a manager can re-open a closed check. If you noticed after the check was signed, you can still talk to a manager.

i SMH everytime i read these tipping threads.. im not a big tipper but i always tip 15%- 20% if i liked the server.
it's second nature. i went to a bar with a couple of coworkers and i was really embarassed when they all did not tip after ordering or leaving a dollar or two on a $30 food bill.

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Hey, IMPORTKING you work in NYC? I'd come by
pimp.gif
Plus I'm a good tipper.
sick.gif

laugh.gif

nah but on a serious note, dont be stingy guys, if you cant afford a tip just stay in or take out

Originally Posted by 951guero

pimp.gif
Plus I'm a good tipper.
sick.gif

laugh.gif

nah but on a serious note, dont be stingy guys, if you cant afford a tip just stay in or take out
What? He sounds like a good server.
embarassed.gif

pause.

Server here (but i'll be an ex-server to be in a week haha)
I hate verbal tips. Please, if you like my service, think I'm handsome (nh, meant for ladies), think I'm the best server you've EVER had, leave me a tip that shows that! Don't waste my time complimenting me when you plan on leaving me a $2 tip on a $90 check. Some group of girls did this to me two weeks ago and decided to come back this week. They sit at my table and ask me if I remember them? haha. Do they really think I'm going to provide quick service with a smile? Hellll nooo...

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Originally Posted by non flammable

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That's racist.[/color]
mad.gif
smh.gif

lulz

pulling the race card again?  it was not because she was black, its because she doesn't know how to tip.  if the women was white, asian, or mexican the restaurant would of banned her too
indifferent.gif

there is no such thing as a race card

when are white NTers gonna stop using that expression?
Sure there is. You just used it in your comment.

Originally Posted by 951guero

pimp.gif
Plus I'm a good tipper.
sick.gif

laugh.gif

What? He sounds like a good server.
embarassed.gif

pause.
Youl be the receiver

sick.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif

i leave decent tips.. but if the food takes a long *%% time or the waiter/waitress sucks i leave %#!#..

Why do people say "They get paid to do this, so why tip," when in fact the customers are the ones paying the waiters/waitresses.
Server Minimum wage is $2.13. The government, since they can not tax your tips, they tax your hourly wages. In result, you get a $5 dollar check or a big VOID on your weekly check depending on the amount of tips reported with the Hours.

The Server also has to tip out some of his own money to the bartender depending on the $$ of liquor sold. Servers also must tip out the Busboys too, depending on your total sales (In some restaurants) or if they just did a Really good job.

Now for some of you who go to restaurants and don't tip and order alcohol, you do realize the server is actually paying his own way to serve you right? He/She rarely sees that hourly wage that you claim these people are getting paid for. $2.13 LOL ...

I believe it's set up; where the customer gives out a tip, is for the server to actually care and give not just ok service but Great service. Going out to eat is a treat and it should be a wonderful outing or experience. If the server received minimum wage, I bet most would really even care or try hard to please their guests. Just drop food off, give drinks, refills, and then bye. Very bland if you ask me.

A party of 6 or more and she complained about 18% tip?

+%*+! needs to stay at home and learn to cook.

laugh.gif
Waiters still think the world is owed to them because they refill drinks and bring food back and forth from the kitchen. You know if it weren't for labor laws, you could easily be replaced by children right? Get over yourselves and be happy to get anything. You are the one who signed up to make 2 bucks an hour

Tipping threads are always great on NT.

I judge people who dont tip.  It shows a BIG character flaw in my eyes.

speakers of waiters, whats up with some of you downgrading customers who finish big portions? I swear some waiters dont know how to interact with people. So what If I finish a plate of nachos made for three. I was hungry. so why comment and act surprised that I ate it like IM some kind of circus freak.

one thing that was brought up here, why tip based on the food amount? It must suck to work at value type places with $5-7 dollar entrees, when another highly priced place goes about doing it at $12 a plate. its a weird sort of monopoly that's set up out there. great service at cheap place to eat= low amount. bad service at a high end place = more than id ever give OUTSTANDING service at the cheap place. i guess youre tipping on the food quality as well?

Originally Posted by kidoopz

I believe it's set up; where the customer gives out a tip, is for the server to actually care and give not just ok service but Great service. Going out to eat is a treat and it should be a wonderful outing or experience. If the server received minimum wage, I bet most would really even care or try hard to please their guests. Just drop food off, give drinks, refills, and then bye. Very bland if you ask me.

isnt that what theyre suppose to do? I dont see anyone else doing a half !#* job because they dont get tips.
If they dont do their job, then guess what, they wont have one.

Back
Top Bottom