Ways to save money on the metro?

I live in VA and have recently gotten a job in DC.

I was wondering if anyone on here have any tips to save money riding and parking at the metro.

I have the Smartrip card and gotta pay about 15$ a day to get to and from work. :x

5$ to park, 5$ to work and 5$ to get back home.

Any help is appreciated

metro bus is my savior. its a flat rate 1.60 one way. if i had to take the metro, id have to go from Silver Spring to Betheda . They are only 4 miles a part too.
sick.gif

the j buses are great (or the 11, which takes me to Friendship Heights). turns what would be a 45 min trip and god only knows how much at peak fare, to 15 mins (with stops) for $1.60.   

if you have metro bus access and even if it takes longer, do it, if you really about that saving money life like i try to be.

Most jobs in the area have an FSA type of account for smart trip, make sure you sign up for it so you don't have to pay taxes on it... quick math says you would pay about $700-1000/year of income tax if you don't use the FSA for your metro money at $15/day.

That's pretty significant savings.

Also, where you live in relation to the metro stop helps too- a lot of apartment complexes offer free shuttles to and from the metro so you don't have to drive/park (at least all of the apartments/townhouses i looked at in alexandria offered this). Not sure how strict they are on checking people so if you live near an apartment complex that offers this you could try to sneak on their shuttle... if you're not sure about the ones near you go into the leasing office and pretend you're looking for a new apartment and ask.

Good information in this thread.

OP, you could also see if your employer offers a transit benefit program. The program may not cover all of your expenses, but it will definitely help curb costs.

Thanks for all the help. I live in NOVA and the metro bus routes are far from me or I would have to pay for parking anyway.
But I will definitely look into this option

I work near georgetown so metro from vienna to foggybottom was my main route.

and I dont think my employer has any programs because I am working only part time but I will check into that also.

Thanks for all the help. I live in NOVA and the metro bus routes are far from me or I would have to pay for parking anyway.
But I will definitely look into this option
I work near georgetown so metro from vienna to foggybottom was my main route.
and I dont think my employer has any programs because I am working only part time but I will check into that also.

...Guess that's why there's so many lames on scooters around here.

But you could drive into DC and park in a garage for $10-15/day so until you figure it out why waste your time/money... you might be able to find something on parkingpanda.com (not just garages, real people can rent out their parking spots too)

...Guess that's why there's so many lames on scooters around here.

why are they lames? they are very economical in these areas, despite the risk factors. I don't have one because i already have a motorcycle, but if I didn't I'd probably grab one.

scooters can be parked on the sidewalks. people literally park them outside their offices. many get 75 mpg + and are DIRT CHEAP to insure.

When you tap your smart trip card to get on the bus, tap it again before you get off. :wink:

Commuter Lots and Sluglines are your friend.

They have them all over in Woodbridge, Stafford, etc.

It's a free ride to and from work if you work in several areas: Rosslyn, Pentagon, Crystal City, Pentagon City, DC.

Commuter Lots and Sluglines are your friend.
They have them all over in Woodbridge, Stafford, etc.
It's a free ride to and from work if you work in several areas: Rosslyn, Pentagon, Crystal City, Pentagon City, DC.

My man here knows.

I've been slugging into DC for 2 and a half years. Best transportation system around here, unless some ish is going on on the interstates.

edit* www.slug-lines.com

Last edited:
buy a smartrip card off craigslist. you can get a $300 card for 200-250, depends how lucky you are. i usually saved 30% doing this but then i got tired of being packed in like sardines and sitting next to big sweaty people.

metro bus is my savior. its a flat rate 1.60 one way. if i had to take the metro, id have to go from Silver Spring to Betheda . They are only 4 miles a part too. :x

the j buses are great (or the 11, which takes me to Friendship Heights). turns what would be a 45 min trip and god only knows how much at peak fare, to 15 mins (with stops) for $1.60.   

if you have metro bus access and even if it takes longer, do it, if you really about that saving money life like i try to be.

They need to do something about that. Its a 4 mile drive from Silver Spring to Bethesda, but on the train its pretty much an hr ride. You have to go through dc just to get to bethesda. Crazy.

I live in Silver Spring and work at the penatgon. I usual pay around 14 dollars a day, thats parking and train fee. I pay 1.89 for parking. Its a parkin garge dowtown silver spring that charges 1.89 for parking.

I live in Silver Spring and work at the penatgon. I usual pay around 14 dollars a day, thats parking and train fee. I pay 1.89 for parking. Its a parkin garge dowtown silver spring that charges 1.89 for parking.
sick.gif
 @ $14 per day...i hope they reimburse you or have a travel stipend. which is this 1.89 lot? is that the hourly or daily rate? that sounds really decent rate if a person can park there during the week. 
They need to do something about that. Its a 4 mile drive from Silver Spring to Bethesda, but on the train its pretty much an hr ride. You have to go through dc just to get to bethesda. Crazy.
the purple line to connect them. starting in bethesda and going to new carrollton but they havent even started anything yet and its going to take another decade to really do anything. 

I've never personally done the technique that I posted earlier I just overheard a bus driver asking a passenger why he tapped his card when he got on the bus and tapped it again after he got off and the guy explained that it allowed him to get on the bus for the whole day without putting any more money on his card

Makes sense free bus transfers but I'm not sure if it lasts all day since I'm always on the metro and not the bus.

:x  @ $14 per day...i hope they reimburse you or have a travel stipend. which is this 1.89 lot? is that the hourly or daily rate? that sounds really decent rate if a person can park there during the week. 

Bonfiant Dixon parking garge on bonfiant street

the purple line to connect them. starting in bethesda and going to new carrollton but they havent even started anything yet and its going to take another decade to really do anything. 

Back
Top Bottom