"Welcome to America....Now Speak English!!"

I guess "Crash" week continues here on NT....

It's a very interesting bumper sticker I saw on a car at work today. I know the guy who drives the car, and he is in a different division in company thatwe work for. Most of the guys that he works with speak English as a second language. This bumper sticker is a recent thing. He's had a McCain/Palinsticker on his car, and that has recently been replaced by the "Welcome to America...." I don't know what the deal is with it, but I thinkit's REAL ignorant. If those are his feelings, then fine....but keep it to yourself. I understand that you are somewhat protected by freedom of speech,but at some point common sense should kick in as far as whether or not this sticker should be on your car (considering who he works with). What do you allthink....

smh.gif

hrjzfm.gif

People should definitely learn English.

I would learn the language of the country I'm moving/residing in.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

I think that people should learn English, but that bumper sticker is sorta tasteless.
True, you have to learn the language to live better of in society and advance.

My only problem is that they give the dmv test in spanish. What's next, putting signs in spanish too? If you're gonna operate a vehicle, you should atleast be able to read signs. Learning the language of the place where you live is only gonna enhance your life. Shame on you for getting butthurt over a bumpersticker. You're just as bad as the people who criticize others because they can't speak english

Am I the only one who finds that hilarious?? Like I can imagine someone saying all politely and what not
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rickybadman

All immigrants should learn to speak English. If you come to a country you can't except everyone else to change to make life easier on you. I actually would be in favor of making the official national language English. I know some people living in the U.S, gotten green cards and citizenship but yet can speak proper English.
smh.gif
What's the problem then?
Originally Posted by Stevenzsofly

My only problem is that they give the dmv test in spanish. What's next, putting signs in spanish too? If you're gonna operate a vechicle, you should at least be able to read signs. Shame on you for getting butthurt over a bumper sticker
I, too, am a fan of hypotheticals.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

I think that people should learn English, but that bumper sticker is sorta tasteless.

QFT...

The thing is if these people can't speak English then they probably can't read/comprehend it that well either. Which makes the whole point of hisbumper sticker useless, since his target audience wouldn't understand his point.

we know the racism problem exists in america, why continue to bring it to NT..

WE'VE HAD ENOUGH FOR ONE WEEK!

Originally Posted by Stevenzsofly

My only problem is that they give the dmv test in spanish. What's next, putting signs in spanish too? If you're gonna operate a vechicle, you should at least be able to read signs. Shame on you for getting butthurt over a bumper sticker

True, I mean you wouldn't go to live in japan not knowing a lick of japanese. So just cause america is land of thefree you can come here and expect to maneuver w/ out trying to learn english.

Originally Posted by 49ers650

All immigrants should learn to speak English. If you come to a country you can't except everyone else to change to make life easier on you. I actually would be in favor of making the official national language English. I know some people living in the U.S, gotten green cards and citizenship but yet can speak proper English.
smh.gif
What's the problem then?
creates a communication barrier. what do you think.

Originally Posted by DuckTailsxaintxI

smh.gif
What's the problem then?
I think you missed something. It's a typo, but funny.

if you come to this country you should learn to speak English, when my dad immigrated here he had to learn to speak English to pass a test for citizenship, allpeople should have to there is nothing wrong with that bumper sticker, the only people that he is really "insulting" can't read it anyways..

smh.gif
What's the problem then?
^^I think it's quite funny that you would judge those that cannot speak proper English, yet your English is horrible...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I would think that immigrants would want to learn english but I guess because theres enough immigrants here where you can get around without knowing english.
I really think they should learn to speak english. I don't have anything against immigrant or anything but you don't go to live in another countrywithout trying to learn their language.

Originally Posted by tru2theegame

smh.gif
What's the problem then?
^^I think it's quite funny that you would judge those that cannot speak proper English, yet your English is horrible...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
got 'em
laugh.gif

- I don't have a problem with the bumper sticker.

P.S. - I've always wondered, when someone declares the whole "Welcome to America....Now Speak English!!"thing AKA - Geno's steaks -Philadelphia:

t1home.genos.gi.jpg

Joseph_Vento.jpg

793874814_f7aa1c9a46.jpg

genos.jpg

- ...does "speak English" include ebonics...????
eek.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
eek.gif

USA doesnt have an Official language so
why should english be forced upon people

if you learn another language, the only one that benefits from
it is yourself.

Back
Top Bottom