WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - D&W OUT NOW - Doomsday = RDJ back

Death needs a whole movie back story but black order don't even need to be called by name at all

Yea makes sense
The Black Order have no real back story and are mad new.

They got their necessary screen time.

Where as Thanos ideals, philosophy, and relationship with Death is far more deep.

But it makes sense you don't get it.

Last edited:
dp2 was good. but the jury is still out if DP2 was even better than DP1.
So that would mean you have it as DP2 & DP1> Infinity war
And don't act like the 1st 30 mins of DP2 wasn't very slow

DP 1 & DP 2 > IW

It isn’t hard at all. From a linear story perspective it’s much better. IW fools everyone because there’s a whole bunch of characters in it doing cool stuff but I’ve seen that before. From a purely enjoyable perspective Deadpool and Deadpool 2 is leaps and bounds better. Real action, check. Real Jokes, check. An immense amount of appreciation for fans of the comic, check check check.

Had tix for this afternoon but had to cancel. My lady not even excited to watch so I'll probably just wait on that crystal clear copy on the fire stick. Not gonna be much to spoil I'd imagine

I Never Bought Thanos’ Motivation in INFINITY WAR
I loved INFINITY WAR, but Thanos’ reasoning never worked on me.

1*0u8oShBgMs8Jp8GI8WgSVg.jpeg

https://cinapse.co/i-never-bought-thanos-motivation-in-infinity-war-d2d13ecacefb

Getting it out of the way at the start: I really enjoyed Infinity War. It has some overstuffing problems inherent in grouping together dozens of previously established characters, and with comic book properties you can’t rely on any of the losses to stick (so they’re not as deeply felt as they should be), but it’s often hilarious and surprisingly moving. A big part of that is the villain, Thanos.

I’ve seen quite a few folks saying that Thanos is to Infinity War as Killmonger was to Black Panther, in that we’re finally getting great villains in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU): ones with motivation we can understand and maybe even empathize with. I got that with Killmonger, who is still the most interesting villain in the MCU. He was understandable, empathetic, backed by a great performance, and his motivation was logical and engaging. Thanos checks most of those same boxes, but the main thing that didn’t work for me was his motivation.

Brolin’s performance is solid, pushing emotions through a layer of GCI with enough conviction that I bought him as a fully realized character. I felt empathy during his big scene with Gamora, and his relationship with his “adopted” daughter completely worked on me. His power felt real and intimidating, and I never doubted for a second that he was the biggest threat our heroes had ever faced.

But the reason for all this? Overpopulation and scarce resources.

His incitement is rooted in his home planet — he was the harbinger for what ceaseless expansion would do to their society, and after they sucked their planet dry of resources and society crumbled, he was validated. So he decides the best thing to do with his time is wiping out half of all life in the universe.

But how did he know that every planet with life forms would meet the same fate? If that’s just the logical conclusion to all life, is his solution the best way to avoid that?

As our population grows, we come up with better technology, like more efficient ways of making food and better medicine. Population increases would be primarily restricted by resources. So let’s say half of our population vanishes tomorrow and we go from 7 billion to 3.5 billion — our technology would still exist, but now we would have freed up resources.

A friend (Jon Partridge) that teaches ecology explained it thusly: if you free up resources you switch from logistic growth to exponential growth. We would be back at 7 billion in no time. It only took 50 years to go from 3 to 7 billion with the technology available to us from 1960 to 2010. Doesn’t seem that wiping out half of all life would be effective, as he’d have to redo it at minimum every 50 years.

This ignores the fact that, with the unlimited power of his Infinity Gauntlet, couldn’t Thanos help with overpopulation and scarce resources in different ways? Maybe provide all of the universe ways to expand sustainably, or ways to possibly expand to new planets. Or maybe restrict every life form to 2 offspring, thus keeping populations consistent.

Hell, he can bend reality — just increase every planet size and magically gave them more resources. It’s not a permanent solution, but it seems like it would be just as “long-term” as wiping out half of all people, and no one would have fought him so it would have been less of a hassle. Imagine all the punching he could have avoided.

I understand people might argue that I’m overthinking a comic book movie, but it didn’t take much thought for me to feel alienated by the movie’s presentation of his motivation. I can buy any number of outlandish things in movies (the MCU film with the sentient tree and talking raccoon is still my favorite) as long as the film respects its own in-world logic and is consistent with what it’s previously established.

It probably didn’t help that Thanos’ weak motivation stood in stark contrast to how well made the rest of the film was.

I'll play along. Thanos cannot "create" resources. He can convert matter from one form to another (scientifically speaking). So even if he makes more resources, that matter/energy will be taken from somewhere else. Zero-sum game. Easier for him to thin out the herd.

Lame said the Deadpool movies > IW

That rating it that way wasn't 'hard at all'

That's how you know the hate is real.

I’ve seen a team of Avengers do cool **** multiple times for six years now. What in this film that was meant to be the zenith of Avengers film better than what we saw before? More characters? Lol

Loki in A1 > Thanos in IW

Y’all know what’s up.

you also get a glimpse of what the relationship is like in GOTG 1 and 2.
him loving or having admiration for his daughter wasn't really that farfetched
Curious if she even used GOTG 1 & 2 as sources for her article.

I'm glad they added some depth to Thanos' character and his main motivation wasn't just to win Death's love and bust her bony walls.

People really think everything translates from comics to movie as if that **** wouldn't come off as goofy. Also, like Zik said, they could still throw that nonsense in there

Re-watching the beginning of "Infinity War",, did anyone else think Loki's whole approach with Thanos was out of character? Okay, maybe not out of character but he didn't seem as cunning and cerebral as I would expect.

Instead of siding with Thanos from the jump and playing the long-game,, he only pretends to join him after Hulk is beat. And even after that, did he really think stabbing Thanos (while dude obviously had his guard up) was the smartest move? In front of all his cronies too??

All this to say,, Thanos probably wouldn't have trusted him in the first place but idk. RIP

I've been saying this. It's why I'm not 100% sure Loki is dead.

Lame in this thread right now:

tumblr_o5has41eJB1uhvewmo1_500.gif

“Oh my god, did you see Winter Soldier pick up Rocket Raccoon?? That was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen!” - This thread

:stoneface:
DFF57675-E3DB-4FF1-9940-E76B3DEEF451.gif

Thank you Joss Whedon. For understanding scale and stakes and what it truly meant for Earth’s mightiest heroes to be against insurmountable odds.

Back
Top Bottom