WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 FINALE out now

Every movie isn’t going to “move the MCU forward” . That shouldn’t be an expectation anyone has.
Honestly didn't even watch it in the context of the MCU, just a good sci-fi flick, if a bit rushed because it's tough to fit all those concepts in a movie. Closer to stories that span millennia than an MCU flick but I understand their dilemma, casual fans want everything to connect. This the reason I want X-Men to be it's own thing instead of trying to fit.

Personally though I wanted to see earth destroyed even if it's another timeline.

Nah, aou still sucks.

I fell asleep multiple times watching it back when it came out...lol but I have to agree is one of those that has aged very well and it’s far more important now considering it paved the way for characters that ended up being crucial to the McU mythos, its stock went up even more after What If and apparently the Ultron drones are in the multiverse of Madness, so imagine infinity Ultron comes to MCU :wow:

The Eternals was the definition of meh.

It is absolutely a story that didn't need to be told. And if we keep it a buck , the story really does nothing to move the MCU forward. All of the stuff that happened in the movie really feels like it has no effect on the universe. If we take The Eternals out of the lineup and go from say Loki to Spiderman we really won't feel like there was something missing. They mention Thanos and said they couldn't get involved ( We already got The Watcher not getting involved) and that was about it. Yes it sets up some future characters and stories but that could've easily been done somewhere else. Wandavision and Loki do a much better job of progressing the MCU as a whole and getting you excited for future movies/shows.

The more I sit here and think about this movie the more the disappointment sets in lol. Marvel just needs to go ahead and fast track FF and X-Men because this aint it man. Gonna be a long wait for Spiderman to wash away the bad taste that The Eternals left.

It left me excited for Black Knight and Blade mostly because I’m dying to see an MCU battle of the bastards Jon Snow :lol:

aside from that something else it did well was kind of give a glimpse as to what Galactus would look like, it’s been always hard to picture him in liveaction form because of how immense he is...but this movie pretty much laid it out for us....other than that, the characters are forgettable as helllllllll with maybe Makari, Druig and Thena as the exceptions

Everything vision plus the hulk buster fight makes that a good movie

but you have so many little moments

Word the Hulkbuster scene goes down as MCU top 10 moments IMO

dang kind of miss Tony now....how long has it been already? 3-4 years?

It left me excited for Black Knight and Blade mostly because I’m dying to see an MCU battle of the bastards Jon Snow :lol:

aside from that something else it did well was kind of give a glimpse as to what Galactus would look like, it’s been always hard to picture him in liveaction form because of how immense he is...but this movie pretty much laid it out for us....other than that, the characters are forgettable as helllllllll with maybe Makari, Druig and Thena as the exceptions
Only thing it showed us is what it looks like when you bust inside and eternal 🤷🏽‍♂️

Soo many little things about AOU paid off later on throughout the MCU

everyone trying to lift mjolner was the last time was saw them all together and happy.. and obviously that builds and is paid off in endgame

Again, a better plot, slightly longer movie, better use of ultron = much better movie. I know that’s asking for a lot :lol:

How does a studio drop 23 movies and everyone tries to hold them all up to the standard of the grand finale? Yall gotta realize IW/EG are not the standard, they are they exception.

Enternal wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good. I was entertained. Which is why we go to the movies. Unless it’s just as bad as BW. :lol:

Enternal > BW - just saying.

The expectations from some of us be unrealistic.

Again, a better plot, slightly longer movie, better use of ultron = much better movie. I know that’s asking for a lot :lol:

dont even think the plot was the issue.. but with better editing and cutting out a couple things and you’re gucci

Whedon was good for the 1st movie.. but the russos would have been better for that film, obviously

How does a studio drop 23 movies and everyone tries to hold them all up to the standard of the grand finale? Yall gotta realize IW/EG are not the standard, they are they exception.

EG and IW are both top 5 CBM movies of all time.. and endgame is 1 to me

but even within marvel they have had to adapt

Thor is a great example.. but so is cap.. Thor the found things that worked in the avengers movies.. same with cap, they changed from first avenger and even how he was used action wise in avengers to eventually winter soldier

can anyone explain the end credits scene of eternals
who is he and whats that taped up sword or did square enix final fantasy have a crossover with marvel?

1636522464954.jpeg

Not saying Paul's not a handsome fella but certainly there were other contenders? lol

Still holding out hope Blade will be rated R….with the recent success of venom & DP, I wouldn’t just quite rule it out yet.

seems plausible scu/mcu might collaborate on this project as well, between morbius and the other sony stand alones…..blade teaming up with spidey just makes sense

sony might be trying to set up their own IW/EG finale event with the spiderverse 👀

To tell a good stand alone story maybe? Have we forgot about those?

Whether you thought it was a good story is entirely something else though.
Why are you confusing "move the MCU forward" with "serves no purpose"?

:lol:

Also cuz of money.
Entertainment?
This **** reeks of entitlement and being spoiled for the last 13 years by the MCU.

Nothing wrong with standalone stories simply meant to entertain.

I’m also willing to give Feige & co. the benefit of the doubt that The Eternals do, in fact, move the MCU forward, with the payoff coming in the future. There are enough breadcrumbs in the movie to confidently make that assumption.

A few points to unpack;

I understand Marvel/Disney is in the business of telling stories via film. They do this for the purpose of making money. I concede that (and don't think my initial comment ever really disputed that). Marvel/Disney will almost inevitably chug out product/content to make themselves money.

My comment on "why tell the story with no purpose?" speaks moreso to the narrative arc in any good work of fiction (or, frankly, non-fiction). Humans are storytellers. We tell stories to fit certain needs and satisfy certain purposes inbred within our evolutionary psyche. The evidence of overarching narratives, archetypes and ethe spanning all of human civilization suggests these conclusions and commonalities as to humankind's storytelling nature.

Within the arc of the MCU, you have stories to tell. Good stories follow certain "predetermined" markers by their very nature (see above). Marvel/Disney and the universe they have created don't have unlimited capital upon which to tell any and all stories as a mere function of time; actors age out or contracts expire, interest ebbs and flows, etc. Within that limited time, you want your best stories to hit hardest across the widest scope of people. The big three all had trilogies of personal development; the Avengers rose and fell within three stories; etc.

The telltale sign of good art or product is a lack of wasted space; every move is made with a purpose. Look at The Godfather; every directorial decision, every scene; there is no wasted cinematic space. In my view of Eternals, so much was unnecessary or fleeting, or "of the cultural moment" that a significant amount of the film was devoted no non-essentials which didn't actively serve to move the dramatic structure along. In turn, the pacing suffered.

I previously highlighted that I actually enjoyed the underlying conflict / moral dilemma exemplified by the competing worldviews of Sersi vs. Ikaris. In principle, that is something I would like to see explored cinematically. But the execution on this one was so lacking, that the possibilities of that conflict were quashed under the weight of the movie's additional baggage and expectations.

I admit without greater context as to how/why the Eternals are supposed to be significant, the movie fell flat for me because it felt like almost all wasted space--and that may be on me as a viewer. But when the film can't independently support itself to justify its purpose, you can only rely so much on the mere prospect of more to come. IM3 sucked, but you had so much of Stark across other pictures that IM3 didn't effect the character's likeability or reception in the general public. A film can't aspire to greatness solely upon the cinematographic skills of the director when the core story, dialogue, and other foundational elements aren't there.

TLDR; you uncultured swine. :wink:

Damn, I was thinking it was R this whole time (I’ve never seen them)

well, maybe not looking so bright for rated R Blade then….

Back
Top Bottom