WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 release 3/20

I'm really curious what's going on with Fury since AoU. I wonder if his storyline from AoU will connect directly to Captain Marvel.

Empire Magazine has revealed a brand new subscriber cover for Marvel's Black Panther, featuring the regal King of Wakanda (Chadwick Boseman) in all his glory.

The magazine cover also represents the first time one of the film's production designers has designed a cover for Empire. In this case, that designer is Hannah Beachler, who also spoke to the magazine about her work, revealing that a lot of the film was made as practically as possible.

"We did a lot [of practical]. Understanding how Ryan works with actors, and for me as a designer, we needed to have as much of the environment there as we could. We were able to keep a lot of the blue screen to beyond the set. It was always about what we can’t actually create, you know?"

Beachler also explained her process for designing the film, which was a combination of researching the comics and director Ryan Coogler's writing process in South Africa. "I started by researching the different comics, and that’s where I started to understand the character and all the iterations he’s gone through. Ryan [Coogler] sent me all these images he took when he was writing in South Africa. See how he saw the country through his eyes helped me understand the vision he had for the film."

DRplQRpWAAM_PZ8.jpg:large

Alright guys I have some bad news regarding my posters for Thor. I have the link and all on my work computer and I left work 2 hours ago not going back till Wednesday. Maybe I can get them up before then, but I can't guarantee

Are you guys willing to wait for the posters till next week?

I apologize and it's all my fault. I let you all down. I'm sorry

Alright guys I have some bad news regarding my posters for Thor. I have the link and all on my work computer and I left work 2 hours ago not going back till Wednesday. Maybe I can get them up before then, but I can't guarantee

boo this man!!

Negged

We believed in you!!

PeacefulPerfectAnt.gif

onejob.jpg

Early projections for BP is 90 opening weekend.

Black Panther
Disney / Marvel Studios

PROS:

• Marvel Studios’ unprecedented winning streak at the box office is the first obvious advantage that comes to mind as mastermind Kevin Feige and the teams under Disney’s banner have shepherded all 17 previous films in the saga to #1 openings and massive box office earnings.
  • The character’s introduction in Captain America: Civil War was warmly received by fans, giving those unfamiliar with the character’s history in the comics some familiarity going into his first standalone film.
  • Writer/Director Ryan Coogler has garnered critical and audience acclaim for his work on Creed and Fruitvale Station, offering further encouragement and interest in how he’ll handle his first big-budget film.
  • As the first tentpole comic book adaptation from Marvel or any other major studio to star an African-American lead (excluding 2008’s Hancock) — not to mention a predominately African-American cast — this film has already become a milestone. If strong reviews and word of mouth follow, it could hit the cultural zeitgeist in a similar way as Wonder Woman did last summer.
  • Opening over Presidents Day weekend will afford the opportunity for families to boost attendance on Sunday. If everything fires on all cylinders, a $100 million+ opening weekend wouldn’t be out of the question.
  • Trailer reactions have been very strong from fans and casual viewers alike, while early social media tracking positions Black Panther well ahead of the Twitter and Facebook activity levels Doctor Strange was generating at the same point before release. Given the latter film’s huge success — and that it was Marvel’s most recent origin story with a character never before seen on screen — we’re expecting a similar run for Panther even on the conservative end of possibilities if the final product wows audiences.
  • This is essentially the only tentpole release on the 2018 calendar until March. Competition will be minimal for the majority of its run.
  • Following a year filled to the brim with critically and commercially successful superhero films in 2017, audiences are clearly still hungry for the genre when the right film comes along.
CONS:

• Social media buzz hasn’t reached the levels of Wonder Woman yet, although that’s hardly anything to be concerned about as DC and Marvel films often diverge in pre-release tracking trends.
  • It would be unreasonable to expect *every* Marvel film to shatter box office expectations, particularly one with very little established on-screen history for the character in question. While the studio’s Ant-Man ($180 million domestic) could be a fair barometer for low-end box office expectations, we think buzz around Panther is strong enough to warrant more bullish forecasts at this time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom