What do you recommend at an Vietnamese restaurants???

Originally Posted by Nktran001

I get so sick of pho..
sick.gif

I would recommend you not to go to a Vietnamese resturante at all. Me being vietnamese and all, the food isn't as good as cambodian me being cambodian as well.
I don't know what Vietnamese restaurants you been too. Sounds like you ain't getting the authentic Vietnamese food. For people wanting totry authentic Vietnamese food. You should be around cities that have a major Vietnamese population. Vietnamese food is so diverse and universal. I'mVietnamese and I recommend you go to Santa Ana, San Jose, and Houston to get the best of the best Vietnamese food. And when I'm talking authentic, I'mnot talking about Americanized watered- down Pho. Pho is Vietnamese food, but some restaurants have dumb it down because they are afraid Americans can'thandle the cow veins and cow tendons in the soup( which actually makes it better).

I know when it comes to Vietnamese food, people think of pho right away. But it is so diverse from soup to noodles to stir fry. I saw some items named alreadybut I'll name you some more you HAVE to tried in this life time.

Bun Bo Hue- It's like pho on steroids. Comes with a spicier taste and has solidify pork blood and beef strips in the soup.
Bo Tai Chanh- This is Vietnamese Carpaccio . It's raw beef laced with lemon, and assortments of greens , it's truly crack. Definately a must try
Ga Roti- Vietnamese Rotiserrie chicken
Heo Rung Xao Lan- Wild boar in a special almost like curry sauce.
Canh Chua- Sweet and sour soup, but nothing and I mean Nothing like a chinese soup. This soup will turn a bad day into a good one.
Ga Xao Xa- Lemongrass chicken
Ga Nhu Vi Huong- Five spice chicken, since you like chicken you have to try this.
Ech Chien Bo- Buttered fried frogs, if battered and seasoned right this stuff is better than Popeyes

There is so much more but I'm just naming stuff of the top of my head. When you hit a Vietnamese restaurant that is far from Chinatown or doesn't haveVietnamese businesses around it. 8 out 10 times you're eating the garbage, water-down Vietnamese food cause they're scared Americans can't handleit. The menus always is the same too. Pho and assortment of rice plates, whether, it's pork, chicken or beef will taste very bland because the owners are aafraid to put nuoc mam ( fish sauce ) in the seasoning of the rice plates. Good luck on your quest for great Vietnamese food. Don't let anyone tell youVietnamese food is not good when they have only tried Pho or Rice plates. They have no clue what they are talking about.
wink.gif

IMG_1942.JPG

bahn-xeo.jpg

dd8f302299003d46_m.jpg

adc1d7e9ee26bee0_m.jpg

ee2aa69dc2a762b8_m.jpg

8d37659b12521f6d_m.jpg

http://

503867a4aa915ffd_m.jpg

f191de74187b4137_m.jpg

adaec519a89a7a3c_m.jpg

8c5170b01ff7b0a1_m.jpg

796700cab287131b_m.jpg

da0943cffa85f46e_m.jpg

024fe785c97af99c_m.jpg

fbc2f132df8c49d6_m.jpg

214438ae11a5bf49_m.jpg

c5a497fb6cde023f_m.jpg

c10b98eecbbe8b4b_m.jpg

e18be5b92344a719_m.jpg

f7ede1f9094533f7_m.jpg

b93d008311646a0f_m.jpg

I left the pho/spring rolls for the end.

Now don't tell me those are the only 2 dishes we have. I'm vietnamese and there are tons of things I order besides those two. These are only some of the pictures, because I couldnt find everything I was looking for.

And at most authentic places, these dishes shouldnt be more than $4-8.

What's a legit Vietnamese food place in LA (I'm not going to Garden Grove/Westminster, either!)

Try these...

Bun Rieu - Crab in a tomato based soup with rice noodles.

Banh Xeo - Vietnamese crepe filled with pork, sprouts, green onion, onion, and shrimp.

Bun Cha Ca - Fish (usually catfish) rubbed and cooked in turmeric and served with all thenormal goodies (lettuce, rice noodles, sprouts, fish sauce, etc)

Originally Posted by presequel

http://

I left the pho/spring rolls for the end.

Now don't tell me those are the only 2 dishes we have. I'm vietnamese and there are tons of things I order besides those two. These are only some of the pictures, because I couldnt find everything I was looking for.

And at most authentic places, these dishes shouldnt be more than $4-8.
Now brother you know Vietnamese food, I've eaten at that Nem Nuong place before. People need to know REAL Vietnamese food. I'm trying totell people Pho and Rice plates are nothing compare to the variety of dishes that Vietnamese cuisine has to offer.

i just recently started liking Pho.

i just have to ask to all the Vietnamese cats out there.

what's the deal with all the mint that's usually served with vietnamese good?

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by wj4

I get so sick of pho..
sick.gif

I would recommend you not to go to a Vietnamese resturante at all. Me being vietnamese and all, the food isn't as good as cambodian me being cambodian as well.
Cambodian food? You can get Thai food and get the same experience.
laugh.gif
Word. I was recommended a Cambo place 30 minutes away only to find the same food I could have eaten at the Thai place across the street from the crib.
mad.gif

laugh.gif

That resturante you went to was probably ran by some Thai people.

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

I get so sick of pho..
sick.gif

I don't know what Vietnamese restaurants you been too. Sounds like you ain't getting the authentic Vietnamese food. For people wanting to try authentic Vietnamese food. You should be around cities that have a major Vietnamese population. Vietnamese food is so diverse and universal. I'm Vietnamese and I recommend you go to Santa Ana, San Jose, and Houston to get the best of the best Vietnamese food. And when I'm talking authentic, I'm not talking about Americanized watered- down Pho. Pho is Vietnamese food, but some restaurants have dumb it down because they are afraid Americans can't handle the cow veins and cow tendons in the soup( which actually makes it better).

I know when it comes to Vietnamese food, people think of pho right away. But it is so diverse from soup to noodles to stir fry. I saw some items named already but I'll name you some more you HAVE to tried in this life time.

Bun Bo Hue- It's like pho on steroids. Comes with a spicier taste and has solidify pork blood and beef strips in the soup.
Bo Tai Chanh- This is Vietnamese Carpaccio . It's raw beef laced with lemon, and assortments of greens , it's truly crack. Definately a must try
Canh Chua- Sweet and sour soup, but nothing and I mean Nothing like a chinese soup. This soup will turn a bad day into a good one.
Ga Nhu Vi Huong- Five spice chicken, since you like chicken you have to try this.
Ech Chien Bo- Buttered fried frogs, if battered and seasoned right this stuff is better than Popeyes

There is so much more but I'm just naming stuff of the top of my head. When you hit a Vietnamese restaurant that is far from Chinatown or doesn't have Vietnamese businesses around it. 8 out 10 times you're eating the garbage, water-down Vietnamese food cause they're scared Americans can't handle it. The menus always is the same too. Pho and assortment of rice plates, whether, it's pork, chicken or beef will taste very bland because the owners are a afraid to put nuoc mam ( fish sauce ) in the seasoning of the rice plates. Good luck on your quest for great Vietnamese food. Don't let anyone tell you Vietnamese food is not good when they have only tried Pho or Rice plates. They have no clue what they are talking about.
wink.gif
I eat Viet food like five times a week. And when i go to resturantes the family and I only go to "Viet Town" located in Illinois on Argyle street. Which isn't so amazing either.

Vietnamese resturantes around here in Grand Rapids, MI is
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

dd8f302299003d46_m.jpg

thats it right there with that fish sauce. Hmm, never had it with diff types of meat.
yup, dish i mentioned on the 1st page.

definitely my favorite vietnamese dish.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by j0rDan23dunker

i just recently started liking Pho.

i just have to ask to all the Vietnamese cats out there.

what's the deal with all the mint that's usually served with vietnamese good?
Oh yeah, you should throw in the mints , jalapenos and , beans sprouts. Do you know why Vietnamese food is Internationally recognized? If younotice this when you eat Vietnamese food. Even in the soups, every flavor and texture of the food balances out the next ingredient in the food. Like forexample in Pho. It may be a noodle soup, but you throw in the bean sprouts and it makes the soup a little crunchy. U throw in the mint and it enhances theflavor of the beef. And there is two type of sauce you can throw in the Pho. I recommend you don't over do it with the Hoisen sauce and the chili saucebecause it kills the flavors of the soup. But experiment and you'll see what you like.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by wj4

I get so sick of pho..
sick.gif

Cambodian food? You can get Thai food and get the same experience.
laugh.gif
Word. I was recommended a Cambo place 30 minutes away only to find the same food I could have eaten at the Thai place across the street from the crib.
mad.gif

laugh.gif

That resturante you went to was probably ran by some Thai people.

Originally Posted by FromThaTown

I get so sick of pho..
sick.gif

I don't know what Vietnamese restaurants you been too. Sounds like you ain't getting the authentic Vietnamese food. For people wanting to try authentic Vietnamese food. You should be around cities that have a major Vietnamese population. Vietnamese food is so diverse and universal. I'm Vietnamese and I recommend you go to Santa Ana, San Jose, and Houston to get the best of the best Vietnamese food. And when I'm talking authentic, I'm not talking about Americanized watered- down Pho. Pho is Vietnamese food, but some restaurants have dumb it down because they are afraid Americans can't handle the cow veins and cow tendons in the soup( which actually makes it better).

I know when it comes to Vietnamese food, people think of pho right away. But it is so diverse from soup to noodles to stir fry. I saw some items named already but I'll name you some more you HAVE to tried in this life time.

There is so much more but I'm just naming stuff of the top of my head. When you hit a Vietnamese restaurant that is far from Chinatown or doesn't have Vietnamese businesses around it. 8 out 10 times you're eating the garbage, water-down Vietnamese food cause they're scared Americans can't handle it. The menus always is the same too. Pho and assortment of rice plates, whether, it's pork, chicken or beef will taste very bland because the owners are a afraid to put nuoc mam ( fish sauce ) in the seasoning of the rice plates. Good luck on your quest for great Vietnamese food. Don't let anyone tell you Vietnamese food is not good when they have only tried Pho or Rice plates. They have no clue what they are talking about.
wink.gif
I eat Viet food like five times a week. And when i go to resturantes the family and I only go to "Viet Town" located in Illinois on Argyle street. Which isn't so amazing either.

Vietnamese resturantes around here in Grand Rapids, MI is
sick.gif
Brother I get the most authentic food from my mom and her cooking is even better than restaurants. Like I said if you want to taste the BESTVietnamese food , you have to be in Santa Ana, Westminster, San Jose, and Houston. Oh and I forgot San Francisco too. You can say you're eating 5 times aday but what kind of Variety of Vietnamese food are you eating? I feel blessed that I get to enjoy Authentic Vietnamese food. From the seafood, chicken, andbeef, the Vietnamese food I'm eating is action-packed. My life would be a little boring without it. I'm curious is your mom Vietnamese or your dad?

i can see this thread bringing in a bunch of Southeast Asian NTers and folks getting salty over cultural food comparisons

Originally Posted by moe200069

i can see this thread bringing in a bunch of Southeast Asian NTers and folks getting salty over cultural food comparisons
Yeah I can get mad over someone telling everybody to never go to a Vietnamese restaurant . People's food is an extension of their culture. Iwouldn't tell someone to NEVER go eat from this group or that group cause to me that's an insult.
wink.gif

^ that dish right up there with the grilled beef and egg rolls over vermicelli noodles is all i ever get

Back
Top Bottom