What do you think is the greatest sports rivalry?

On the grand scheme of things, American rivalries are weak sauce.

In South America , and Europe, the rivalries are intense because they are battle of social classes,territorial battles , and some cases, religious quarrels.That being said, it's either Inter & A.C. Milan, or Boca Juniors & River Plate.

Boca Juniors & River Plate.
Went to a game down there when I was training with Boca (15 at the time) and I must say I've never feared for my life more that day than anyother day in my life
eek.gif

The goons were OUT that day.

eek.gif
and
pimp.gif
@ back toback Mozzer avy's kind of disagreeing with one another.

Unrelated, but the You are the Quarry pic is one of my all-time favorite pictures.

NCAAB - UNC and Duke
NBA - Lakers and Celtics (make up for half the NBA championships)
NHL - Oilers and Flames
NFL - Cowboys and ********... or Niners
MLB - Yankees and Red Sox

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by AirCole2359

celtic_fc_logo.jpg
VS
rangers_football_club.jpg

Easily the most intense rivalry in sports EVER.....What do you guys think?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I think I speak for 95% of the people on NT, but EVERY OTHER TEAM SPORT>>>>SOCCER

Therefore, NO, whatever you just posted is NOT the best rivalry in sports.
laugh.gif
Step your sports knowledge up. Soccer rivalries put just about every sport to shame.

I think it depends where you are from.

In LA its UCLA vs. USC football. Or now I know celtics vs. lakers will be big. Like I know that Ohio vs. Michigan is big but I dont care.

Texas V.S OU. Dont dude got his balls pulled off of him in a bar in Oklahoma for wearing a Texas shirt.
Tmac V.s The second round.

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Knicks/Heat in the 90s
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
WORD. Knicks vs. Pacers also with Reggie and Spike Lee goin at it
pimp.gif

Currently for me ....

Mets Vs. NL East
Jets Vs. Patriots
Giants Vs. Cowboys

Word.

Football (soccer) rivalries > any sport.

In Uruguay a tournament was called off due to rioting fans. Boca River rivalry is ridiculous, I can't exactly recall the story but im sure it readsomething about a group of fans being on Argentinas most wanted list or something similar..

Italian football.. an officer was killed resulting in a match being rescheduled..

People probably misconstrue rivalry with good games and extraordinary performances, however in football the culture is different. People don't turn up towork, they don't drive taxis to certain places etc.. its much more than an event.

Thats my opinion.

^ absolutely...

smh.gif
@ some of the NTers... don't dismiss a rivalry simply because you don't know the specifics about that particular sport.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

I wish I could explain the phenomenon that is Alabama vs. Auburn to those of you who don't live here....
i understand it...my dude is from Alabama, i know all about it.
laugh.gif
it's one reason i'm giving Auburn a chance in that game next week.

I wish I could explain the phenomenon that is Kentucky vs. Louisville to those of you who don't live here...

Originally Posted by SinnerP

smh.gif
@ some of the NTers... don't dismiss a rivalry simply because you don't know the specifics about that particular sport.
Nobody is dismissing anything, relax. Of course the majority of people in here aren't going to mention soccer. In America as a whole we couldgive a rats %$$ about it, let alone follow it for another country.

I wish I could explain the phenomenon that is Oregon/Oregon St and how much they suck but argue over who's better. You're all lucky you dont livehere.

Originally Posted by CP1708

I wish I could explain the phenomenon that is Oregon/Oregon St and how much they suck but argue over who's better. You're all lucky you dont live here.

Yeah, because in-state rivalries are rare.

Not one person said this is a "great" sports rivalry, so get off your high horse.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by SinnerP

smh.gif
Nobody is dismissing anything, relax. Of course the majority of people in here aren't going to mention soccer. In America as a whole we could give a rats %$$ about it, let alone follow it for another country.

Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom