what kinda job can you get with a _______ degree?

how about a degree in journalism?

I know,the obvious answer is to be a journalist. but im halfway thru and i feel like its too late to change majors,but im not as hyped about bein a journalistas i was fresh outta high school..any other directions?

i know this sounds dumb, but can someone give helpful advice for a successful position with a business admin. degree, i dont want to be fooled that almost anytype of job would be available with one...

Originally Posted by miceyj77

Originally Posted by Lazy B

This is true. In demand degrees don't have as much clout as they did a few years back as more jobs are getting outsourced. There are people with finance degrees struggling to find work right now. Just pad your resume with meaningful internships and jobs as I'm doing. I'm going to be working on a Senatorial campaign in a few weeks and I'm interviewing for an internship today.

Exactly!!
And GOODLUCK on that interview!
Word, good luck brah. Just sell urself well. I got one down at the Criminal Courts in Allegheny County so I'm hopin minglin w/ judges andDA's can get me some type of leeway

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

what can you do with a history or english degree besides teach?
Taco Bell
indifferent.gif
Law schoolhomie.

How do you work in the IT department? I wanted to do IT until I realized it was going to keep me in undergrad an additional year, which I couldn't afford to do.

As far studying IT-- I have taken zero classes. I got in with the knowledge I acquired from every day to day to use...however mebeing half indian MIGHT have something to do with it. Coca-Cola came to my school promoting their IT internshipprogram. I interviewed and was offered a spot in 2008 and once I graduated I re-applied for the program but they brought me back as a contractor.
I wouldn't plan on working on in the business or science fields with a political science degree, but you should be able to compete for any job that involves writing/critical thinking/research.

A lot of my work isn't hardcore IT (information systems, SAP, etc.) I'm more on the business side ofIT which ties back to my degree. I'm even doing some work on a major marketing project.. at the end of the day your degree doesn't destin you for acareer in that field. I myself have no interest in poltics. Go figure.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Taco Bell
laugh.gif

You can analyze the importance of Shakespearean literature... which will not feed you in any way.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread

Could you point them out? I think it'd be very helpful.

Taco Bell

waitress?

its hard just depending on a poli sci degree (or almost any bachelors degree, for that matter) to get a job. lazy is right was about internships and experience. ive been at a government relations firm for almost two years and have been applying to others firms around DC and most would probably laugh if they saw my resume with just a degree and no experience.

teacher = poly sci

There is a misconception that political science majors can only be lawyers, teachers, politicians, or, judging by some of the responses in here, foodindustry employees. In actuality it is one of the most popular majors in the country because of its malleability. Yes, the job market is difficult with only abachelors degree, but in my opinion, that is more a sign of the times than a reflection of the degree's worth. As I mentioned, experience and internshipsare always a plus, but there is no reason why one shouldn't be able to find an entry-level job with a political science degree in a variety of fieldsoutside of business and science positions. Most people assume that it is the degree itself that determines job placement. If anything, GPA, references, thequality of school that person attended, and the overall competitiveness of the applicant pool has more to do with obtaining a job.

I was a Political Science major at UCSB c/o 2007 . . .

I work for Wells Fargo Insurance Services USA, Inc. - - - property/casualty risk management & insurance . . . Nothing to do with banking except they try tocross-sell . . .

You can do anything you want with any degree, some degrees just lend themselves specifically to certain fields . . .

There is a misconception that political science majors can only be lawyers, teachers, politicians, or, judging by some of the responses in here, food industry employees. In actuality it is one of the most popular majors in the country because of its malleability. Yes, the job market is difficult with only a bachelors degree, but in my opinion, that is more a sign of the times than a reflection of the degree's worth. As I mentioned, experience and internships are always a plus, but there is no reason why one shouldn't be able to find an entry-level job with a political science degree in a variety of fields outside of business and science positions. Most people assume that it is the degree itself that determines job placement. If anything, GPA, references, the quality of school that person attended, and the overall competitiveness of the applicant pool has more to do with obtaining a job.

i agree with everything said here.. HOWEVER, no one has asked to see my GPA..Nor do I think i'll ever be asked to show it. A lot of employers will tell youthat a healthy GPA is must but in actuality your interview skills, they were for me, are instrumental in getting my foot into the door..which leads me tobelieve that a GPA is more relevant when applying for grad school.

Originally Posted by supa vegetto

There is a misconception that political science majors can only be lawyers, teachers, politicians, or, judging by some of the responses in here, food industry employees. In actuality it is one of the most popular majors in the country because of its malleability. Yes, the job market is difficult with only a bachelors degree, but in my opinion, that is more a sign of the times than a reflection of the degree's worth. As I mentioned, experience and internships are always a plus, but there is no reason why one shouldn't be able to find an entry-level job with a political science degree in a variety of fields outside of business and science positions. Most people assume that it is the degree itself that determines job placement. If anything, GPA, references, the quality of school that person attended, and the overall competitiveness of the applicant pool has more to do with obtaining a job.

i agree with everything said here.. HOWEVER, no one has asked to see my GPA..Nor do I think i'll ever be asked to show it. A lot of employers will tell you that a healthy GPA is must but in actuality your interview skills, they were for me, are instrumental in getting my foot into the door..which leads me to believe that a GPA is more relevant when applying for grad school.
In terms of the job market, GPA is one of those things that is not a must-have. Most companies will not ask for it, but if you do have a GPA over3.5, particularly from a good school, it can really distinguish you from other applicants if you include it in your resume. And yes, interview skills areextremely important, particularly with entry-level jobs since most companies are not expecting lots of relevant experience, but rather someone who ispassionate and can contribute to the company. That is why I do not believe that having a political science degree is a detriment because it applies to so manyfields.

Journalism

Someone brought up the point that you don't need a journalism degree to be a journalist. I wanted to bash my head into the wall.

Networking/connections > any undergraduate degree

Whenever someone brings up a story about a "friend" of theirs graduating from Harvard or some Ivy League and them now working at Barnes and Noble orsome crap, chances are that person didn't network well.

Originally Posted by solelifik

gooodluck lazy b did you also major in poly sci ?
Nah. I've taken Poli Sci courses though. My major is what some people would consider worthless. I was going to double major in Econ as well but the courses gradually increased in difficulty, so I didn't.

My grades aren't law school worthy so I'm busting my @*#. My current Poli Sci class is taught by the prosecutor of Onondaga County so I'm going to try and earn his respect so that I could get a letter of recommendation if I apply for law/grad school.
Onondaga County? You in Syracuse?
nerd.gif
But for all you peoplethinking about law school just because you don't know what else to do...HIGHLY RECONSIDER. The legal field is in the crapper...students from top 10 lawschools who are below the median in their class are having lots of trouble finding work. For students outside the top 20, unless you are in the top 5 - 15percent of your class, the well paying jobs are basically gone. There's gonna be alot of people graduating with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debtfrom law school alone (not counting UG debt) who will end up having to take 30 - 55K a year jobs. Not a good position to be in when you basically have amortgage worth of school loans to pay back.

i know a girl who graduated princeton who has to work 2 retail jobs...fhl

kicksNbeats wrote:

Networking/connections > any undergraduate degree

Whenever someone brings up a story about a "friend" of theirs graduating from Harvard or some Ivy League and them now working at Barnes and Noble or some crap, chances are that person didn' network well

Originally Posted by MrMoneyInDaBank

Journalism

Someone brought up the point that you don't need a journalism degree to be a journalist. I wanted to bash my head into the wall.
You don't, at least not an undergraduate degree. In fact, it's usually encouraged by most employers.

Newspaper writer/editor.. but i suggest teaching, plenty of paid breaks and holidays, and if you got good kids its cake!

I'm currently thinking of majoring in Poli Sci and eventually get into Law School and after all is said and done, become a corporate lawyer. What othermajors could I look into for Law? Poli Sci just bores me
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom