What to expect when I start Law School....

Originally Posted by KickHead23

Just received my bibles. Started on the LGB and already in the first 40 pages I've learned so much so thanks for the tip! However I was browsing over on TLS and im getting the impression I'm way too far behind for the June LSAT, fml. Would you recommend taking it only once end nailing it? Or taking it more than once if necessary and a greater core the second time is nearly guaraunteed? My target school is UF so nothing major is necessary, mid 160's is probably good enough to get in with a decent gap (3.5 and up).

You have more than enough time to get ready for the June test.  Like a previous poster mentioned, the test is learnable, and the Bibles will help with your accuracy.  Once you go through them, work 15ish tests to get down your timing.  I accomplished this in 2 months, so it is doable.  If you can spare a 2-3 hours a day, you can sufficiently prepare for the June test.
The general consensus about retaking the test is that having a lower score won't hurt you; the majority of schools outside of Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and maybe Chicago/Columbia don't average your scores.  The schools only care about the score because one of the metrics used by U.S. News and World Report to determine its rankings is the average score of the admitted students.  They only have to submit your highest score to be averaged, so the lower ones don't really matter.  I'd double-check on TLS to see if Florida averages scores, but I doubt it.

One last thing: don't go into the test with the mindset that you "only" need a certain score.  Prepare every day like you want to get a 180.  It's rare for students to score this high, but aiming for the top will ensure that you don't rest on your laurels once you start hitting the 160's on practice tests.  I consistently averaged between 166 - 171 on my last few practice tests, but there were a few outliers (a 161, and a 179 
eek.gif
).  While you will probably be admitted to UF with a score in the 160's, a few extra points could earn you thousands of dollars in scholarship money.  A difference in a single point can potentially earn you $25k per year 
pimp.gif

I'm glad that there are so many people considering law school, and that y'all are doing the research necessary to make your decision an educated one.  

Originally Posted by Dr Mantis Toboggan

Just received my bibles. Started on the LGB and already in the first 40 pages I've learned so much so thanks for the tip! However I was browsing over on TLS and im getting the impression I'm way too far behind for the June LSAT, fml. Would you recommend taking it only once end nailing it? Or taking it more than once if necessary and a greater core the second time is nearly guaraunteed? My target school is UF so nothing major is necessary, mid 160's is probably good enough to get in with a decent gap (3.5 and up).

You have more than enough time to get ready for the June test.  Like a previous poster mentioned, the test is learnable, and the Bibles will help with your accuracy.  Once you go through them, work 15ish tests to get down your timing.  I accomplished this in 2 months, so it is doable.  If you can spare a 2-3 hours a day, you can sufficiently prepare for the June test.
The general consensus about retaking the test is that having a lower score won't hurt you; the majority of schools outside of Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and maybe Chicago/Columbia don't average your scores.  The schools only care about the score because one of the metrics used by U.S. News and World Report to determine its rankings is the average score of the admitted students.  They only have to submit your highest score to be averaged, so the lower ones don't really matter.  I'd double-check on TLS to see if Florida averages scores, but I doubt it.

One last thing: don't go into the test with the mindset that you "only" need a certain score.  Prepare every day like you want to get a 180.  It's rare for students to score this high, but aiming for the top will ensure that you don't rest on your laurels once you start hitting the 160's on practice tests.  I consistently averaged between 166 - 171 on my last few practice tests, but there were a few outliers (a 161, and a 179 
eek.gif
).  While you will probably be admitted to UF with a score in the 160's, a few extra points could earn you thousands of dollars in scholarship money.  A difference in a single point can potentially earn you $25k per year 
pimp.gif

I'm glad that there are so many people considering law school, and that y'all are doing the research necessary to make your decision an educated one.  
I just purchased the two most recent "10 More ___ Lsat Prep tests" or whatever the titles were that had I think like 18-4X LSAT tests to use as practice. Which ones would you recommend I practice on and which should I us to actually take practice tests that are timed on? Don't I need to buy some more recent one's in the 50's-60's to use close to game day?
Thanks so much for all your help guys I really do appreciate it!! 

eek.gif
pimp.gif

I just purchased the two most recent "10 More ___ Lsat Prep tests" or whatever the titles were that had I think like 18-4X LSAT tests to use as practice. Which ones would you recommend I practice on and which should I us to actually take practice tests that are timed on? Don't I need to buy some more recent one's in the 50's-60's to use close to game day?

If anyone is interested, I have a bunch of LSATs that I never used since they were all available from my Testmasters course.

If anyone is interested, I have a bunch of LSATs that I never used since they were all available from my Testmasters course.

Figured i'd share my (short lived) law school experience.

-came out of college (small HBCU) and when i applied i had a combined 2.6 GPA (f'd up my first 2 yrs at another school, transferred and got my $@@! straight)
-applied to Northeastern, Howard, U of Louisville, U of Richmond, Ole Miss
-got into all the schools i applied to, decided to go to Howard

-didn't do well first semester, 2nd semester f'd up in the 2 most important (gradeweight wise) classes
-needed a 75 to stay in school, had a 74.63, got kicked out
-sat out a yr, reapplied, and got rejected

thats the short version, but a couple of points i'd like to illustrate

1. Law school is Middle School 2.0, with less cool people.

-you're in the same classes with th same 50 people for a year. Since your in the same section with the same professors, those are the same people you're going to be study grouping with. If your going to a new city, chances are your going to be hanging out with the same people outside of class.

2. At the end of the day, you still have to PASS the bar.

-deciding on a school is going to be a big choice. A lot of people say go the best school you get into. Unless your going to a top 10 school, i don't really think it matters. Your grades, jornal/review, how you interview will be more important

3. more coming, but a full time job, a 2 yr old, and a corporate attorny wife with 4000 documents to review by Monday= me playing mr.mom

Figured i'd share my (short lived) law school experience.

-came out of college (small HBCU) and when i applied i had a combined 2.6 GPA (f'd up my first 2 yrs at another school, transferred and got my $@@! straight)
-applied to Northeastern, Howard, U of Louisville, U of Richmond, Ole Miss
-got into all the schools i applied to, decided to go to Howard

-didn't do well first semester, 2nd semester f'd up in the 2 most important (gradeweight wise) classes
-needed a 75 to stay in school, had a 74.63, got kicked out
-sat out a yr, reapplied, and got rejected

thats the short version, but a couple of points i'd like to illustrate

1. Law school is Middle School 2.0, with less cool people.

-you're in the same classes with th same 50 people for a year. Since your in the same section with the same professors, those are the same people you're going to be study grouping with. If your going to a new city, chances are your going to be hanging out with the same people outside of class.

2. At the end of the day, you still have to PASS the bar.

-deciding on a school is going to be a big choice. A lot of people say go the best school you get into. Unless your going to a top 10 school, i don't really think it matters. Your grades, jornal/review, how you interview will be more important

3. more coming, but a full time job, a 2 yr old, and a corporate attorny wife with 4000 documents to review by Monday= me playing mr.mom

eek.gif
pimp.gif

I took the tests in the teens and 20's.  If I were doing it over, I'd probably work through all of the tests, including the newer ones.  If you are going to get all of the tests, save the new ones, and do those under timed conditions.
Also, here's a link to a TLS thread that helped me plan how to attack preparing for the test: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide - http://www.top-law-school...opic.php?f=6&t=41657

eek.gif
pimp.gif

I took the tests in the teens and 20's.  If I were doing it over, I'd probably work through all of the tests, including the newer ones.  If you are going to get all of the tests, save the new ones, and do those under timed conditions.
Also, here's a link to a TLS thread that helped me plan how to attack preparing for the test: Pithypike's Complete LSAT Study Guide - http://www.top-law-school...opic.php?f=6&t=41657

Originally Posted by cristobal

I'm a senior at Indiana University and I've been accepted into a few law schools (Loyola Chicago, Depaul, Indiana University Indianapolis, John Marshall (received a Scholarship, and I'm waiting to hear back from a few more. I have some questions if anyone can help me out:
Does a school's ranking really matter that much, and should I decide which school to go to based on rankings?
What can I do this summer to prepare me for school in the fall?
I've always done fairly well in school with minimal effort ; will this hurt me in law school?
Do you really not make friends while in law school?
I'm already really intimidated and scared because I'm pretty sure a lot of my classmates will have a lot different backgrounds and affluence than I do.
Thanks for the help guys!
I graduated law school in '08
IMO where you go to school has absolutely no bearing on how you'll do on the Bar exam.  PLUS, where you go to law school will only have a small influence on what type of law you'll eventually decide to practice (ie. Criminal, Tax, Civil...)  Typically, you'll already have that narrowed down before you 2nd semester.

the law school books are all the same in every school.  the rank or prestige of the professors has no bearing on how you'll do on the Bar exam.  Sure, one professor might make the subject more understandable than another, but there are SO MANY Bar exam study guides, boot camps, etc. that you'll have time to grasp the subject yourself.

just diligently brief your cases in your textbooks so you can at least grasp the rule of law (for the lectures)

after you're done and preparing for the Bar, just plan do to 1000s and 1000s of multi-state practice questions. ... Literally 1000s and 1000s.   Responses from close friends that have also passed the Bar all agree ~~ after a few 1000 practice questions under your belt, you'll start to see a definite pattern; you'll start to 'predict' the answer the test writers are going for.

Plus with a strong understanding of the rule of law, the essay questions will be much easier.

I've seen grads really put a heavy emphasis on the essay portion of the Bar ... bad.   The exam graders are EXTREMELY EXTREMELY subjective.  What I mean is:  based on random chance, your (perfect) essays could wind up with a grader that could be having a bad day and grade your essays poorly.... OR your (average) essay could end up with a grader that is very conservative and they could grade your essay highly.

Does that make sense?   EXAMPLE:  A good buddy of mine came within only a few points to pass the Bar.  His essay scores were approx. 75, 70, etc.  Fairly great scores.  He requested for a re-grade of his Bar exam....  the re-grader gave THE EXACT SAME ESSAYS 65, 60, etc.  So the re-grade ended up much worse.

My point is, there is only one right answer for the multi-state questions.  If you get those absolutely nailed, you will GREATLY increase your chances of passing the first time.

That all being said ~~~  the school you go to is irrelevant.  

My Bar exam experience, I listened to all the loud mouth talkers around me.  Some of them, "I went to UCLA" or "I went to USC so I'm confident I'll pass" ....  fools looked so stressed and exhausted after the 1st day of exams it was laughable.

Good Luck in law school Cristobal ... If you've always done fairly well in school with minimal effort, you'll be fine in law school.  You might even say to yourself, "This isn't THAT bad"  
roll.gif

I'm a senior at Indiana University and I've been accepted into a few law schools (Loyola Chicago, Depaul, Indiana University Indianapolis, John Marshall (received a Scholarship, and I'm waiting to hear back from a few more. I have some questions if anyone can help me out:
Does a school's ranking really matter that much, and should I decide which school to go to based on rankings?
What can I do this summer to prepare me for school in the fall?
I've always done fairly well in school with minimal effort ; will this hurt me in law school?
Do you really not make friends while in law school?
I'm already really intimidated and scared because I'm pretty sure a lot of my classmates will have a lot different backgrounds and affluence than I do.
Thanks for the help guys!
I graduated law school in '08
IMO where you go to school has absolutely no bearing on how you'll do on the Bar exam.  PLUS, where you go to law school will only have a small influence on what type of law you'll eventually decide to practice (ie. Criminal, Tax, Civil...)  Typically, you'll already have that narrowed down before you 2nd semester.

the law school books are all the same in every school.  the rank or prestige of the professors has no bearing on how you'll do on the Bar exam.  Sure, one professor might make the subject more understandable than another, but there are SO MANY Bar exam study guides, boot camps, etc. that you'll have time to grasp the subject yourself.

just diligently brief your cases in your textbooks so you can at least grasp the rule of law (for the lectures)

after you're done and preparing for the Bar, just plan do to 1000s and 1000s of multi-state practice questions. ... Literally 1000s and 1000s.   Responses from close friends that have also passed the Bar all agree ~~ after a few 1000 practice questions under your belt, you'll start to see a definite pattern; you'll start to 'predict' the answer the test writers are going for.

Plus with a strong understanding of the rule of law, the essay questions will be much easier.

I've seen grads really put a heavy emphasis on the essay portion of the Bar ... bad.   The exam graders are EXTREMELY EXTREMELY subjective.  What I mean is:  based on random chance, your (perfect) essays could wind up with a grader that could be having a bad day and grade your essays poorly.... OR your (average) essay could end up with a grader that is very conservative and they could grade your essay highly.

Does that make sense?   EXAMPLE:  A good buddy of mine came within only a few points to pass the Bar.  His essay scores were approx. 75, 70, etc.  Fairly great scores.  He requested for a re-grade of his Bar exam....  the re-grader gave THE EXACT SAME ESSAYS 65, 60, etc.  So the re-grade ended up much worse.

My point is, there is only one right answer for the multi-state questions.  If you get those absolutely nailed, you will GREATLY increase your chances of passing the first time.

My Bar exam experience, I listened to all the loud mouth talkers around me.  Some of them, "I went to UCLA" or "I went to USC so I'm confident I'll pass" ....  fools looked so stressed and exhausted after the 1st day of exams it was laughable.

Good Luck in law school Cristobal ... If you've always done fairly well in school with minimal effort, you'll be fine in law school.  You might even say to yourself, "This isn't THAT bad"  
roll.gif

Originally Posted by capricdragon

Terrible advice. 
I recently talked to a partner and  recruiting executive at Kirkland Ellis (world headquarters in Chicago) and she said to go to the best school you can get into.  I could post 20 articles right now demonstrating how terrible the job market is for people outside top schools and even in top schools. HARVARD had to temper the expectations of  a recent graduating class. Even top firms like Skadden Arps are offering a year away for 80k to curb costs. I just spent an extended period analyzing the state of the legal profession from every angle so I think I'm well versed in the topic. 

Read One L

Read The Destruction of Young Lawyers

Read The Lost Lawyer 

Read The Partnership (for those looking to go into big law... you will really see what's up)

Not trying to discourage anyone; like I said before and what someone I really respect told me: "forewarned is forearmed"

Terrible advice. 
I recently talked to a partner and  recruiting executive at Kirkland Ellis (world headquarters in Chicago) and she said to go to the best school you can get into.  I could post 20 articles right now demonstrating how terrible the job market is for people outside top schools and even in top schools. HARVARD had to temper the expectations of  a recent graduating class. Even top firms like Skadden Arps are offering a year away for 80k to curb costs. I just spent an extended period analyzing the state of the legal profession from every angle so I think I'm well versed in the topic. 

Read One L

Read The Lost Lawyer 

Read The Partnership (for those looking to go into big law... you will really see what's up)

Not trying to discourage anyone; like I said before and what someone I really respect told me: "forewarned is forearmed"

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Terrible advice. 

Read One L

Read The Lost Lawyer 

Definitely not terrible advice.

It doesn't matter if you went to harvard, yale, princeton, etc, if you don't pass the bar. Your not going to be in a courtroom or negotiation table asking opposing counsel what their civ pro/crim pro grades were. You have to pass the bar, because bottom line, if you don't, that $160,000 education is going to be the same thing as a Master's.

There's grads from those schools who don't have jobs, looking for work. You have people from tier 4 schools getting offers from every firm out there. My former school is either tier 3 or 4 and I know, literally, dozens of people from my class who are at firms in NY, LA, Chi, DC.    

Plus, not everyone is trying to go the firm route. That old summer associates=offer %#$*, i think is almost a wrap. A lot of firms aren't looking, to pay 24 yr olds $25k a summer for work a decent paralegal can do without having to take them out to lunch every other day
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Terrible advice. 

Read One L

Read The Lost Lawyer 

Definitely not terrible advice.

It doesn't matter if you went to harvard, yale, princeton, etc, if you don't pass the bar. Your not going to be in a courtroom or negotiation table asking opposing counsel what their civ pro/crim pro grades were. You have to pass the bar, because bottom line, if you don't, that $160,000 education is going to be the same thing as a Master's.

There's grads from those schools who don't have jobs, looking for work. You have people from tier 4 schools getting offers from every firm out there. My former school is either tier 3 or 4 and I know, literally, dozens of people from my class who are at firms in NY, LA, Chi, DC.    

Plus, not everyone is trying to go the firm route. That old summer associates=offer %#$*, i think is almost a wrap. A lot of firms aren't looking, to pay 24 yr olds $25k a summer for work a decent paralegal can do without having to take them out to lunch every other day
laugh.gif

^exactly. If you don't pass the Bar, what's the point.

IMO the top tier schools would only be extremely beneficial if you're plan is to network yourself with the large firms in the big metro cities through fraternities/sororities.
In this economy its who you know... not what your diploma has printed at the top.

IMO the top tier schools would only be extremely beneficial if you're plan is to network yourself with the large firms in the big metro cities through fraternities/sororities.
In this economy its who you know... not what your diploma has printed at the top.

Lol.  Often who you know is predicated on that diploma; alumni networks at good schools are deep. 
A partner at Jenner Block told me that they look at everyone at Harvard but only the top 5% at a place like John Marshall School of Law... you're fooling yourself if you think law school prestige doesn't matter. This isn't like med school. I don't know what people want to do actually do in this thread but the worse your law school is, the less opportunities you will have. The lawyer market is completely wack. Too many graduates and not enough jobs.

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/the_job_seekers

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/01/16/law-blog-qa-kirsten-wolf-law-school-naysayer/

Of course you have to pass the bar. What kind of simplistic conjecture is that? 
laugh.gif

Lol.  Often who you know is predicated on that diploma; alumni networks at good schools are deep. 
A partner at Jenner Block told me that they look at everyone at Harvard but only the top 5% at a place like John Marshall School of Law... you're fooling yourself if you think law school prestige doesn't matter. This isn't like med school. I don't know what people want to do actually do in this thread but the worse your law school is, the less opportunities you will have. The lawyer market is completely wack. Too many graduates and not enough jobs.

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/the_job_seekers

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/01/16/law-blog-qa-kirsten-wolf-law-school-naysayer/

Of course you have to pass the bar. What kind of simplistic conjecture is that? 
laugh.gif

Hey, to all the aspiring inellectuals out there who think law school is the answer to your problems:

"the rising cost of a legal education and the realities of the legal job market mean that going to law school may not pay off" -American Bar Association

If your interested in the law I suggest you study the real history of the developement of law, and how many people were against the whole creation of a lawyer "profession" from the beginning, instead of throwing yourself into a system that has already collapsed.

Hey, to all the aspiring inellectuals out there who think law school is the answer to your problems:

"the rising cost of a legal education and the realities of the legal job market mean that going to law school may not pay off" -American Bar Association

If your interested in the law I suggest you study the real history of the developement of law, and how many people were against the whole creation of a lawyer "profession" from the beginning, instead of throwing yourself into a system that has already collapsed.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

And the reason why your so sure we haven't already is?

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

And the reason why your so sure we haven't already is?

Back
Top Bottom