What was Carmelo thinking....

Originally Posted by bjm5295

He was thinking "I ain't tryna be the next Latrell Spreewell..."

And 2012 or whatever will be the Melo Class rather than being part of the 2010 Bron/Melo/Bosh/Wade class.
That doesn't even matter.

They're all getting the max amount of money regardless of which years they become UFAs.

To the people asking why Melo will earn less than LeBron, Bosh and maybe Wade too...

Melo is earning the exact same amount of money as those 3 guys right now. The only difference is he signed up for 4-years guaranteed with the ability to opt out of his 5th year.

LeBron, Bosh and Wade signed for 3-years guaranteed with the ability to opt out of their 4th years. They will then resign max contracts in July earning more money next year than what Melo will be making. When Melo signs a max contract in 2011 (if he opts out), then those 3 guys will still be making more money because their salaries will gradually increase in their 2nd-year of their max-contracts where as Melo will be making less in his 1st-year of his max-contract.

Not only that, but when their max-contracts expire 5-years from now, LeBron and Bosh will be around 30-31 years-old and could still command another max-contract. When Melo's max-contract expires when he's 32-years-old, he may be too old to get a contract as lucrative as 30-31 year-old LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

Basically Bosh and LeBron sacrificed 1 extra year of guaranteed salary in order to get max-contracts 1-year earlier, and to be able to potentially sign new max-contracts in their early-30s. Melo took an extra year guaranteed but he'll be making less in his 4th-year of the deal than Bosh, LeBron and Wade will be making in the 1st-year of their new contracts and Melo will be in his early-30s when his following contract expires which may mean less money for him.

I didnt mean the Melo Class for money purposes, I just meant for publicity/ego purposes. I dont think the couple of extra million in the grand scheme of things is that important when anything could have happened to Melo, ala career ending injuries, before he got the chance to ink a big money deal (my Spreewell reference.)

whats an extra 2-3 mil when your already making 100 mil? really though, i rather have the security that ill still get paid if i get a career threatning injury than play my chances to make a few more mil ill probably never get to spend anyway.

Carmelo Anthony will make, $15,779,912, $17,149,243, $18,518,575 for the next 3yrs. Which is appropriate since hes not the best player in the League

Melo>Lebron talent wise. Lebron just works harder and Melo makes it look effortless imo.

Melo will get a ring before LeBron
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by RoOk

^^ Good points. IMO Carmelo is underrated in a sense that his team has won on a more consistant basis than LeBron, Wade & Bosh. This year he's finally starting to figure out that he doesn't have to take the back seat to LeBron & Wade. Give Carmelo Bosh and you got a championship caliber team.
Fixed.

He was thinking "If I don't sign this paper right now and some 7'2 center falls on my leg tomorrow night, my career could be over and I'll miss out on tens of millions of dollars".

Originally Posted by xilegacy

Melo>Lebron talent wise. Lebron just works harder and Melo makes it look effortless imo.

Nah melo is a better post player jump shooter and free throw shooter that's it. Lebron is clearly the better player. But if Melo dominanted the ball as much as Bron he could avg 6-7 apg. He still take plays off on Defense though

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

dude is on a powerhouse team in the west.
Wow, slow down buddy. The Nuggets a powerhouse?

Originally Posted by streethoopkilla

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Why are dudes mentioning last years WCF like it made a difference in Melo's contract decision?

it would make a difference if he signed the extension and the nuggets didnt get nowhere.basically we are saying by him signin it early was smart moneywise and it resulted in the nuggets being successful in terms of how long they lasted in the playoffs
How was it smart money-wise?

Lebron and Wade will get two max $ contracts over the span of Melo's. It made sense for security, but Melo won't make more than them.

And I still don't see how the Nuggets team success had anything to do with Carmelo's contract being 6 years. *looks at Chauncey Billups trade*

Back
Top Bottom