What was your starting salary like STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE?

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

anyone in the import/export/customs field here? I need me some inspiration.

i been thinking about that but im worried of going through the whole process and not passing the "test" or backround check
not that i have a shady past, but im just scared of having my mind set on that then being let down if i dont pass. cuz realistically it is out of your hands.the lie detector and interviews of past neighbors,gf's,aquanitances, coworkers etc

Originally Posted by CParkFresh

^
LOL she stays in 4" - 5" heels

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

CPark, U was in "NESBY" ?
I was in that %$$+ too
pimp.gif

NSBE conferences FTW.

Boston '05
pimp.gif

Hey Tamika
wink.gif
devil.gif

Wasn't NSBE in Las Vegas this year.... I know that had to be stoopid!

My boy just went, I'm an architect major and he told me to join just for the !%%% of it but I lagged.
tired.gif

so since physical therapy sounds like there's not too much hope in that....
how's teaching? or managing in retail?

Originally Posted by DUB 253

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

Originally Posted by presequel

bachelors
graphic designer
cali
im a junior at the communication arts dept vcu, thinking about staying to get a bachelors in graphic design. How long did it take you to pic that job up?
Can a Designer please answer this?

Is it worth getting the Bachelors if you're trying to become a graphic designer?

If I was to just get the Associates about how much would I make starting out?
i'd recommend getting the bachelors to you both and get that portfolio looking real good. thats what its all about. i dont know the programsyou guys are in, but i hope they are ptuting good work into your portfolio.

dont take what im making as a standard, in reality, alot of designers out of college only make 32-40k. it depends if you are a print or interactive or motiondesigner. print gets paid the least.

if you plan on moving up, the degree helps. if you want to skip the degree, you better damn well be very good technically and have a good eye for designwithout the need for school. i know some designers who went to the best design colleges and are just average, and i know some who never went to college and areamazing. but at the same time, i know more good designers who went to design school than i do designers who didn't goto college at all and are gooddesigners. its just numbers.

in terms of how long it took me to get that job, it was right after college. but i also did a internship while in school (very important) that was at aninteractive agency that gave me great experience. and i also had relevant (keyword) freelance experience. so when they saw me, i wasnt just a kid out ofcollege with no experience. and i also negotiated a higher starting point. i actually wanted more, but we all do.

now im an associate creative director and i handle the hiring of all creatives at my company. when hiring i look at the cover letter and resume and makeabsolutely sure there is a website link. if the website looks like a poorly designed website, i close it and disregard the email. the resume must be designedwell, even if there is no experience. no spelling errors, everything must be clean. after all this, i look at the actual portfolio of work on the site. if itlooks good at a quick glance, i'll ask the person to come in so i can talk to them and learn more about them and their portfolio. always have a online anda printed portfolio.

any designers can get at me for help. but please be specific. if you say you're a graphic designer, at least tell me what you specialize in and whatyou're looking for. and dont say everything.

%%$* I'm about to be a Senior majoring in Political Science. I was gonna go the law school route but I don't want to go to school right now, want totake a year or two off to work.

I've done had internships doing sports marketing, sports reporting & writing, some radio work, some consulting stuff & right now i can't evenfigure out what the next move i want to make.

I was thinking about getting into the hotel business, with the possibility of owning my own hotels eventually.

My cousin hopefully isn't too many years away from a VP HR spot with Pepsi Co.

That's cool, the only thing is at such a large corporation working in HR means you deal with so much bureaucracy. My dad's the VP of HR for a prettylarge company and actually was a Coca Cola regional HR VP and was offered the official VP of HR position but had he moved to Atlanta he would've lostcustody of me and my brother. I've always been interested in HR, and have been thinking about going into it.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

%%$* I'm about to be a Senior majoring in Political Science. I was gonna go the law school route but I don't want to go to school right now, want to take a year or two off to work.

I've done had internships doing sports marketing, sports reporting & writing, some radio work, some consulting stuff & right now i can't even figure out what the next move i want to make.

I was thinking about getting into the hotel business, with the possibility of owning my own hotels eventually.
$$$$$

Originally Posted by jordanpinoy

any physical therapists?

Right here.

06' - business administration

$150k+ when i was doing real estate/being a broker

07' - resp. therapy

$120k

How do you make $120k? I dont know any that make over 55k.

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Where the teachers at?
nerd.gif
Right here fam.....

December '06 B.S. in Biology from Prairie View A&M University

Been teaching since Feb '07 ( 5 days left of being a professional babysitter) going back to school Southern Illinois here I come
happy.gif

Location Houston, TX
make roughly $47K a year
ohwell.gif
(pay is cool but my passion ismedicine
pimp.gif
)

im thinking more and more that i want to be a teacher ... off everyday at around 3-4, weekends off and 3 months of the year off ... hell if i teach in collegei dont have to do #+#@ forreal ...

a lot of questions have been answered in the earlier pages of this thread ...

a lot of good stuff in here though ... NT short for networking

Just graduated a few weeks ago. I have a BS in Finance. I will be starting a job as an Investment Banking Analyst in a few weeks. Base salary is 65k, I get a10k signing bonus, and then the end of the year bonus usually has been anywhere between 20k-40k, but I'm not sure what it will be like in this economy. Myend of the year bonus will DEF be on the low side of that range (i'll be happy with anything over 10k at this point). Honestly I'm just happy I havethat job.

The annoying thing about bonuses, as you'll come to find out, is the amount those are taxed. It's ridiculous.

I don't know why some of you guys care what the salary is right out of college...few professions are going to throw a boatload of money at new grads,usually based off the assumption you're coming into a job/industry that you know zip about. Especially now when there are people who have experiencelooking for work and will settle for lesser salary requirements.

Originally Posted by swizzc

Just graduated a few weeks ago. I have a BS in Finance. I will be starting a job as an Investment Banking Analyst in a few weeks. Base salary is 65k, I get a 10k signing bonus, and then the end of the year bonus usually has been anywhere between 20k-40k, but I'm not sure what it will be like in this economy. My end of the year bonus will DEF be on the low side of that range (i'll be happy with anything over 10k at this point). Honestly I'm just happy I have that job.

Where at and what location? My minor is Finance and have been looking into investment banking for a little bit.

Originally Posted by DUB 253

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

bachelors
graphic designer
cali
im a junior at the communication arts dept vcu, thinking about staying to get a bachelors in graphic design. How long did it take you to pic that job up?
Can a Designer please answer this?

Is it worth getting the Bachelors if you're trying to become a graphic designer?

If I was to just get the Associates about how much would I make starting out?
i'd recommend getting the bachelors to you both and get that portfolio looking real good. thats what its all about. i dont know the programs you guys are in, but i hope they are ptuting good work into your portfolio.

dont take what im making as a standard, in reality, alot of designers out of college only make 32-40k. it depends if you are a print or interactive or motion designer. print gets paid the least.

if you plan on moving up, the degree helps. if you want to skip the degree, you better damn well be very good technically and have a good eye for design without the need for school. i know some designers who went to the best design colleges and are just average, and i know some who never went to college and are amazing. but at the same time, i know more good designers who went to design school than i do designers who didn't goto college at all and are good designers. its just numbers.

in terms of how long it took me to get that job, it was right after college. but i also did a internship while in school (very important) that was at an interactive agency that gave me great experience. and i also had relevant (keyword) freelance experience. so when they saw me, i wasnt just a kid out of college with no experience. and i also negotiated a higher starting point. i actually wanted more, but we all do.

now im an associate creative director and i handle the hiring of all creatives at my company. when hiring i look at the cover letter and resume and make absolutely sure there is a website link. if the website looks like a poorly designed website, i close it and disregard the email. the resume must be designed well, even if there is no experience. no spelling errors, everything must be clean. after all this, i look at the actual portfolio of work on the site. if it looks good at a quick glance, i'll ask the person to come in so i can talk to them and learn more about them and their portfolio. always have a online and a printed portfolio.

any designers can get at me for help. but please be specific. if you say you're a graphic designer, at least tell me what you specialize in and what you're looking for. and dont say everything.
'Preciate it man.

I think once I get my Associates I'll determine whether I want to get the Bachelors depending on how good my portfolio, experiences, resume, etc are. Ihave more than a year before I have to cross that bridge...

Definitely gonna take you up on that offer for help when I get ready to look for a job. I'll be sure to shoot you over a copy of my portfolio to make sureit's proper.
3871584faa594c083eb3c361d442afe800759a9.gif

Graduated FSU with B.S. Finance

Financial Analyst

Starting salary $45g plus sign on bonus of $2000 and relocation package of $3000

I'd like to hear what some first year financial analysts do in their for year or two...mainly your day to day activities.

See how it compares to that post about the guy who had an internship at UBS.

Graduated 2007
B.S. in Electrical Engineering
Interned 3 summers before graduating
Starting salary $60,000 = $56,000 (base salary) + $4,000 (signing bonus)

Currently making $183K
Working as a field rep for my company in Iraq
Pursing M.S. in Electrical Engineering

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Econ 2006 from NU, NYC, Analyst, my official salary is $63k, but I've made a lot from bonus money.

reigndrop: does NU, stand for Northeastern University. I am a c/o 2010 econ major from Northeastern.
let me know.

Back
Top Bottom