What was your starting salary like STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE?

Originally Posted by LILAFROMFTL

Graduated 2007
B.S. in Electrical Engineering
Interned 3 summers before graduating
Starting salary $60,000 = $56,000 (base salary) + $4,000 (signing bonus)

Currently making $183K
Working as a field rep for my company in Iraq
Pursing M.S. in Electrical Engineering

CAKING. What do u do as a field rep? What are your tasks?

Originally Posted by swizzc

Just graduated a few weeks ago. I have a BS in Finance. I will be starting a job as an Investment Banking Analyst in a few weeks. Base salary is 65k, I get a 10k signing bonus, and then the end of the year bonus usually has been anywhere between 20k-40k, but I'm not sure what it will be like in this economy. My end of the year bonus will DEF be on the low side of that range (i'll be happy with anything over 10k at this point). Honestly I'm just happy I have that job.
swizzc - where did you go to ugrad?
and where are you going to be working? the 65k 10k signing sounds alot like merrill. but i dont know whats up with them now being with BAC and in the economy.

lotta dudes in here be lyin'
laugh.gif
A lot of my friends have degrees and be hustlin' for jobs and still can only find retail positions :/

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

laugh.gif
A lot of my friends have degrees and be hustlin' for jobs and still can only find retail positions :/

now thats the mother effing truth...economy is crazy but everyone in here is living rich.... Well i graduated in 06 B.A in CRJ and I'm making 40K in NYUhospital......far way from criminal justice but I'm undecided on what I want to do wit my life
smile.gif

Originally Posted by TrueshotAura

laugh.gif

thank you... got half the dudes in here saying they making upwards of 90k...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
stop lyin

Originally Posted by thaisativa1

Graduated 2007

Currently making $183K

CAKING. What do u do as a field rep? What are your tasks?
My company designed a system that allows UAV video to be seen in cockpits of the Apache helicopters.
My role is to support the Army by sharing my knowledge of the system with them to solve any problems pilots may have.

Daily Tasks: PC Meetings (daily status meeting), Training (teaching pilots how to use the system, teaching armament how to troubleshoot the system), Testing(going out on the flightline and doing system checks on the systems to ensure everything is 100% before pilots leave on a mission), Test Procedures (writingtech manuals on frequency, software loading, wiring harness, built-in test BIT, and so on...)

The reason this job pays so much in because we're in Iraq and this is a warzone. It's a great way to make $$$, but you're away from your family.

Originally Posted by swizzc

Just graduated a few weeks ago. I have a BS in Finance. I will be starting a job as an Investment Banking Analyst in a few weeks. Base salary is 65k, I get a 10k signing bonus, and then the end of the year bonus usually has been anywhere between 20k-40k, but I'm not sure what it will be like in this economy. My end of the year bonus will DEF be on the low side of that range (i'll be happy with anything over 10k at this point). Honestly I'm just happy I have that job.

thats whats up
pimp.gif
....i'm a finance major too....i plan on going to grad school to get my masters in mathematical finance....my grades are good andhopefully i can get in but i need to start preparing for the GMAT because you have to have > 85% on the math part and idk how hard that is to get eventhough i'm very strong in math

Originally Posted by angelzdope

^^ Nothing wrong with dreaming big.

Advice: Consulting would be a good industry to go into. They breed a lot of CEOs. Look to join a top consulting firm (i.e. McKinsey, Deloitte). As for
undergrad, you could pretty much major in anything. When I was interviewing for McKinsey, I met employees who's majors ranged from Art History to
English... mine is Chemical Engineering. But after you get your BA, you should definitely go to a top school and get an MBA. Then join a company and work your
way up. This is of course is only one of the many ways that a person could become a CEO. Also, be aware that the higher you climb on the corporate ladder, the
more political things will become. To say that networking is key would be a vast understatement.

Hope that helps!

did you get into McKinsey?

To the person above, Angelzdope is right. Top management consulting firms like McKinsey, BCG, Bain traditionally are the most frequent launching pads for CEOsand top execs (deloitte isn't in this class sorry) but they are notoriously hard to get into. You pretty much have to graduate from a top 20 school, andeven then it's pretty hard. In order to be a 'consultant' and not just an 'associate consultant' you usually have to go back and get an MBA(again from an Ivy or equivalent).

However, there's no one path to being a CEO. You could start your own company or get hired in. Your undergrad major really has very little influence in theprocess so don't worry about that too much.

IT Postions

Just graduated this month with a BS in Computer Information Systems.

been looking for a job ever since and still no call/e-mail back. I really want to get into Network Security since that was what I was more interested in out ofmy core classes. Also, Ethical Hacking is another good subject I learned a lot about. I'm still trying to find direction but still no luck. I'm in theDC Metro area. Systems Analysts, Entry Level Network Admins..it's tough right now
frown.gif

Graduated 2007

Currently making $183K
I'm not out yet but I'm in the same position for E.E.

I want to ask for about the same starting salary.

What field of E.E did you start in? Controls, Power, Systems, Communications, etc

and do you have any tips on how to get into those 100K positions?

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

IT Postions

been looking for a job ever since and still no call/e-mail back. I really want to get into Network Security since that was what I was more interested in out of my core classes. Also, Ethical Hacking is another good subject I learned a lot about. I'm still trying to find direction but still no luck. I'm in the DC Metro area. Systems Analysts, Entry Level Network Admins..it's tough right now
frown.gif
Good Luck man
frown.gif

There are a lot of exaggerated salaries here, but assuming everything is true I think only those that are doing well will care to elaborate and share theirstories in this thread.

My company just turned down a systems engineer that graduated with his MBA from Marshall (USC Business School). He has 3 years of programming experience, andmy company was only offering 65k plus benefits. He didn't even get the call back for a second interview.

I know we are in SoCal and times are real tough, but here are some other horror stories.

My good friend from law school was hiring for a book keeper at his firm. There are two attorneys and one legal secretary. He posted an ad on Craigslistoffering an hourly wage of $20. He got over 200 emails over the course of the business day. Over 25% had an MBA; some from clown colleges, but a few fromPepperdine.

I know the legal secretary was always complaining about her job, but she shut the eff up when she discovered the amount of responses for the book keepingposition.

Engineering majors will always find good gigs. But, if you have a social science degree you really need to make those connections and stand out. Even financejobs in SoCal are getting harder and harder to find, plus the bonuses are dwindling.

Good luck to all the graduates.

Originally Posted by lazybonejone

There are a lot of exaggerated salaries here, but assuming everything is true I think only those that are doing well will care to elaborate and share their stories in this thread.

My company just turned down a systems engineer that graduated with his MBA from Marshall (USC Business School). He has 3 years of programming experience, and my company was only offering 65k plus benefits. He didn't even get the call back for a second interview.

I know we are in SoCal and times are real tough, but here are some other horror stories.

My good friend from law school was hiring for a book keeper at his firm. There are two attorneys and one legal secretary. He posted an ad on Craigslist offering an hourly wage of $20. He got over 200 emails over the course of the business day. Over 25% had an MBA; some from clown colleges, but a few from Pepperdine.

I know the legal secretary was always complaining about her job, but she shut the eff up when she discovered the amount of responses for the book keeping position.

Engineering majors will always find good gigs. But, if you have a social science degree you really need to make those connections and stand out. Even finance jobs in SoCal are getting harder and harder to find, plus the bonuses are dwindling.

Good luck to all the graduates.
It's scary when being "qualified" isn't even "qualified, any more. Stuff like this is why I`m honestly not trying tograduate/finish school untill I have a job secure, I`m trying to boose my GPA as much as possible, intern,network like hell,etc.

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

IT Postions

been looking for a job ever since and still no call/e-mail back. I really want to get into Network Security since that was what I was more interested in out of my core classes. Also, Ethical Hacking is another good subject I learned a lot about. I'm still trying to find direction but still no luck. I'm in the DC Metro area. Systems Analysts, Entry Level Network Admins..it's tough right now
frown.gif
do you have any experience? there are plenty of entry level positions but for the security field you need tons of experience

I wish it was that easy here im trying to do an apprenticeship in carpentry, but they postponed it until september because the economy

ya to be honest we havent felt nothin up here from the recession..maybe its just me n my trade that i chose but we been non stop overbooked since lastyear..everyone whos tryna go head n sell their houses right now are puttin in the extra money for tile and hardwood...so i come in and do the damn thing. weactually just started a $58,000 renovation in a hotel..should be able to wrap it up in 2-2.5 months

BA in Math, Computer Science and Accounting
IT Auditor with EY
$44,000
Philly, PA

6 years on, and i've almost tripled that. Work your hardest and if what you deserve doesnt come to you - go find it.

"Work your hardest and if what you deserve doesnt come to you - go find it. "

The problem with that right now is... theres no one hiring anymore.

I graduated in 2007 with a Business Mgmt Degree and an English Degree.
I'm a Recruiter in Seattle area.
roughly $50k my first year.

but honestly... good luck to everyone thats searching for a job right now.

Just a word of advice to those still in school....

IT'S ALL ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW.

I guess I shouldn't say ALL about that, but in this day and age of a terribleeconomy, just having the smarts doesn't always get you in the door. That said, get your contact/networking game up now before you graduate.

Originally Posted by mein07

May 2008 Graduate with a B.B.A in Finance
started at $57K
Analyst in Texas
you an energy analyst?
you must of went to mccombs, but to stay in TX with that salary is pretty high.
must be an energy analyst in houston for a big bank or something.
who knows. lol

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

Originally Posted by mein07

May 2008 Graduate with a B.B.A in Finance
started at $57K
Analyst in Texas
you an energy analyst?
you must of went to mccombs, but to stay in TX with that salary is pretty high.
must be an energy analyst in houston for a big bank or something.
who knows. lol
I'm actually a Tax Analyst in Houston. Don't want to name my employer though...
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom