whats a good running shoe?

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

Nike running shoes suck. They're all gimmicky and expensive.
while there are certainly plenty of nike running shoes that fit this description, to lump all nike running shoes together is just silly.

let's not forget how nike got its start....

That was the jumpstart for sure. Nike running makes up for 3% of their total revenue now. I do think they realize they've lost some of their runningcustomer, but they still make tons of sales off mindless people who don't care about what they get. Blinded by the swoosh. I'm not dogging Nike as aWHOLE. They do make some fair shoes they're just few and far between. I've got tons of Nike runners that I enjoy to wear for shorter periods of timeand for casual/comfort but when it comes to more technical running its a different ballgame.

Nothing makes me cringe when it comes to running shoes as seeing someone running in some shox. Keep those for the casual look.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Anybody at all interested in talking about barefoot running? the benefits of it and what not...

it's becoming the new rage.. all this support we try to give our feet is actually what's being found to give us all the injury and joint problems... you were never meant to land on your heels, but to run on the balls of your feet, so your bent knee and calves absorb the shock.. not your stiffened legs (therefore, bones, joints, etc).

This is part of the theory behind the Nike Free series, which is a step in the right direction of where running products need to go.

Then you have the barefoot shoe-lines which are literally just a cover that fit right to your bare foot, offering no support, just protection from the ground/road/trails.

I was reading a really interesting article on all this the other day and I'm convinced of it.
Post up the article please. To me, it looks like another gimmick from Nike, like that lunar material they acquired from NASA. I do want a pair of Free or Lunar Trainer though..but not for running, for plyometric exercises.
Nah, i swear it's not a nike thing i was just offering the free's up as a possible solution

http://www.menshealth.com...013281eac____&page=1

medium sized read, but highly recommended.

i run with asics evolutions ...i'm flat footed too

asics, brooks, mizuno, NB makes the best runnings shoes IMO ...u just gotta go to a running store and find a pairs that feels/fit u best.

nike running shoes are
sick.gif

untrue that nike running shoes suck.

before i bought the nimbus i was seriously going to get the nike pegasus 26+ no one on this board will say that's a bad shoe. It's a fantastic shoe forunderpronators.

the free's are legit. Theyd ont' really work for people who weigh more than 140 lbs.

going to the gym at 6am. wish me luck 830 class. shower in btwn somehow.

You should really just go to a shop and have them fit you. People can differ in their experinces from shoe to show, BUT Crafsty's right, at least from myexperince. I started using the Free last month and my knees have never felt better.

thanks much dynamic x and ebw
pimp.gif

and dynamic, ironically, i hate physics class too. hence why i never even took it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Regal Black

lunars are pretty good

really ? i thought about buying a pair cause i need new ones. they are really comfy and light but i think the sole will run down pretty fast. how long do youuse them now ?

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

untrue that nike running shoes suck.

before i bought the nimbus i was seriously going to get the nike pegasus 26+ no one on this board will say that's a bad shoe. It's a fantastic shoe for underpronators.

the free's are legit. Theyd ont' really work for people who weigh more than 140 lbs.

going to the gym at 6am. wish me luck 830 class. shower in btwn somehow.
The Pegasus is one of Nike's best IMO. It's a good price and it's just what it is. It doesn't try to be anything else, it justperforms. The wider cut makes it tough for narrow feet to feel comfortable in it. The Vomero is a comfy shoe but some people complain that it's TOO muchcushioning. Most people think they want a soft ride and really would enjoy a more firm midsole combination.

i wear Brooks Defyance 2
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
screw a gait test just do the brown paper bag test just dip ur feet in waterthan step on the brown bag, see what your arches are than pick your shoe.

the brown paper bag test is a must imo! I thought I was flat footed but turns out I got high arches (just was covered in fat at the time lol)

I have a pair of Nike Frees 5.0.

I know their not the best shoe for serious running, but for HIIT and casual runs their perfect. Their great for the gym too.

Originally Posted by airmaxes

Wonder how the AM Dream is?
They look great with jeans.
grin.gif

The shox in them do feel softer than Turbos/M1/Remix etc but still doesn't justify this as a good running shoe. Jungas were just about the only Shoxi've ever been happy with from a performance standpoint.

i should have went here before i bought my running shoes... whatever, i hope my shoes last -_-

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

I just got some nike free 5.0's and I like them a lot
You must not do much distance running eh? That shoe won't last you long at all.

i hit up the treadmill for about 2 miles every day

Am I the only one who has played ball in running shoe (AM95s)

I destroyed a pair of slates
laugh.gif

Ok now let me chime in on this since I am an avid runner, run distance races and such. First thing you need to do OP is to hit up your local running store, andthis doesn't mean foot locker or finish line. Go to a specialty running shop and they will help you figure out what shoe you need for your running style.Doing this will save you money in the long run and hopefully prevent injury and make running more enjoyable for you. Don't listen to these peoplerecomending air maxes and frees especially, frees are alright for people that don't run over about 2 miles, but they also don't offer you any support.Air maxes, well the air bubble might help with comfort somewhat but you have no feel for the ground in them which you do need. Best bet is to avoid shoes thatare super light and look for something that is going to give you the support you need. I am assuming you are a novice and are just starting to get intorunning. Avoid racing shoes such as any sort of flats and nike lunars, though lunars are comfy, they offer you no support. Hope this helps you out and if youneed any more info feel free to message me.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

I just got some nike free 5.0's and I like them a lot
You must not do much distance running eh? That shoe won't last you long at all.

i hit up the treadmill for about 2 miles every day

Great choice MrJ
pimp.gif
These dudes are acting like you're gonna take these shoes on Runyan Canyon and go crazy. The fact is, Frees are great gym shoes.They're light on your feet when you're on the treadmill and perfect for training.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Ok now let me chime in on this since I am an avid runner, run distance races and such. First thing you need to do OP is to hit up your local running store, and this doesn't mean foot locker or finish line. Go to a specialty running shop and they will help you figure out what shoe you need for your running style. Doing this will save you money in the long run and hopefully prevent injury and make running more enjoyable for you. Don't listen to these people recomending air maxes and frees especially, frees are alright for people that don't run over about 2 miles, but they also don't offer you any support. Air maxes, well the air bubble might help with comfort somewhat but you have no feel for the ground in them which you do need. Best bet is to avoid shoes that are super light and look for something that is going to give you the support you need. I am assuming you are a novice and are just starting to get into running. Avoid racing shoes such as any sort of flats and nike lunars, though lunars are comfy, they offer you no support. Hope this helps you out and if you need any more info feel free to message me.
Out of all the big reatailers, Finish Line is the only one that will actually do a foot analysis and fit you for a pair of shoes. They generallyhave a bigger selection than your mom and pop running stores too. Definitely better prices. The mom and pop stores have a tough time marking items down andhaving sales so a lot of people have found cheaper/easier ways to get good shoes.

These dudes are acting like you're gonna take these shoes on Runyan Canyon and go crazy. The fact is, Frees are great gym shoes. They're light on your feet when you're on the treadmill and perfect for training.
Free's ARE great gym shoes. Perfect for lifting weights and doing a 1/2 mile run while getting a total workout in. They feel great. I'vehad 3 pairs of 5.0's since they debuted and i've loved every single pair and beat them to death. It's just that they aren't good for someonewho is going to run on a track or any sort of pavement for 4-8 miles at a time. They will work for their barefoot need, but won't hold up over the longhaul.

Back
Top Bottom